10.6.2 is out...

passw

86 posts in this topic

Installed the 10.6.2 update on my P6T Deluxe 2 last night using the Software Update tool.

Download was about 145mb and installed all fine. I'm running using a GTX 285 using EFI strings and all appeared to work fine. No apparent issues, but did notice a drop in frame rate within WorldofWarcraft. Thankfully, I'll taken a full drive backup of 10.6.1 so will test this compared to 10.6.2 tonight.

Apart from that all seems to be fine. Installed/booted and seems to be running quite stable. ;)

Hope it helps someone.

I installed the 10.6.2 Update with Apples Software Update and everything was fine. i reboot and anything what i see is the Mouse Cursor on a black screen!?!

i got NO kernel panic or something anythings fine!!

i can move my mouse, sound works but i can´t see my desktop. anything´s black.

Any solution?

EDIT: My System:

ASRock 945GCM-S

Intel Core 2 Duo e7300

Geforce 9500 GT 1GB

4GB DDR3 ram

I'm having the same problem with a completely different setup. The only quasi solution I've been able to find is to VNC into the computer and change the resolution to 1024x768...but then I have to stay at this resolution, so it's not really a viable long-term solution...

My setup:

Gigabyte GA-M31-ES2L

Intel Dual Core E5200

Geforce 8400GS

I also had the black screen issue due to incompatibility with my gfx efi string and I found a solution in another forum (netkas.org):

- Delete the efi string in "com.apple.boot.plist"

- Install "NVEnabler 64.kext" (kexts.com) in Extra\Extensions

- Run "Kext Utilities 64" (kexts.com)

- Reboot and you get QE/CI and the right resolution enabled

However the card is mentioned as "nVidia unknown card" in system profiler but works fine anyway. Also, I'm running in 32-bit mode.

Well, I don't really know what your problem is, if you followed what "alien21" stated in his post, things'd turn out O.K.

1.Make a backup of kernel using OSX tools and name it the way you want it to be(ex-backup_snow) when prompted.

(this should be saved in the volume where OSX is located and is going to be used at step 4)

2. Download and install the update.

3. Let your computer restart to see if it boots up O.K, if NOT.

4. Start the com using the backup kernel(created at step 1) you've made-when chameleon starts up, hit any key in order to get to boot option and type it's name.

5. Once your computer is booted, restore the kernel-the same one from step 4- using OSX tools and reboot without boot option.

Above is how I got my update working, it worked perfectly both laptop and desktop. :whistle:

Hope it'd be of any help.

Cheers. :D

I am totally new to this, so please bear with me.

I got kernel panic from upgrading to 10.6.2 using lifehacker guide. However, I have a backup of old kernel. I tired to do everything like you explain but when I boot up, I don't know how to choose the kernel on boot loader. Please you please tell me a little more details? or point me to the link where there are a guide of restoring old kernel?

I am totally new to this, so please bear with me.

I got kernel panic from upgrading to 10.6.2 using lifehacker guide. However, I have a backup of old kernel. I tired to do everything like you explain but when I boot up, I don't know how to choose the kernel on boot loader. Please you please tell me a little more details? or point me to the link where there are a guide of restoring old kernel?

When you get the chameleon boot windows (the chameleon logo at top and blue bar shrinking from right to left) you hit "enter". This stops the blue bar and allows you to start typing. It is not obvious but when you start typing it will appear in the lower left of the screen. What you want to type is the backup name of your kernel (possibly mach_kernel.backup but it depends on what you named it when yo made the backup). This will allow the system to use that old kernel rather than the new 10.6.2 kernel. By the Way you can also enter multiple variables at this time like -v for verbose or -x for safe.

For example:

1) Chameleon screen opens on startup. Blue bar moving right to left.

2) Hit "enter" key.

3) Type the following... mach_kernel.backup -v -x

This would get you booting from the old kernel in verbose and safe modes.

Make sense? If not, let me know and I will try to explain it better.

I also had the black screen issue due to incompatibility with my gfx efi string and I found a solution in another forum (netkas.org):

- Delete the efi string in "com.apple.boot.plist"

- Install "NVEnabler 64.kext" (kexts.com) in Extra\Extensions

- Run "Kext Utilities 64" (kexts.com)

- Reboot and you get QE/CI and the right resolution enabled

However the card is mentioned as "nVidia unknown card" in system profiler but works fine anyway. Also, I'm running in 32-bit mode.

Update!!

Found a way to keep on using my gfx string with SL 10.6.2. Just replaced the "NVDANV50Hal" and "NVDAResman" kexts in S/L/E by the ones from 10.6.1 below. NVEnabler 64 is not required anymore. Now my geforce is recognized in system profiler as "nVidia GeForce 9500 GT" like it was with 10.6.1 and I'm also able to run in 64-bit mode. :lol:

Kexts nVidia 10.6.1

But it's only a temporary solution.

On my Dell GX280 P4 3.20GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT EMT64!

Bus SPEED 800MHz - correct

Memory SPEED 533MHz - correct

10.6.2 Kernel - legacy_kernel-10.2.0.pkg

Two Cores in Activity Monitor

Correct Processor in About this Mac - 3.20GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT

Retail install, 10.6.2 Combo Update, Chameleon 2 RC3, PC-EFIv10.5/boot, 10.6.2 SleepEnabler, 10.6.2 IOATAFamily, Normal kexts in Extra..

EFI-string for my EN7300GS

http://www.mediafire.com/?nwwjguyzy5z

• 3 weeks later...
Update!!

Found a way to keep on using my gfx string with SL 10.6.2. Just replaced the "NVDANV50Hal" and "NVDAResman" kexts in S/L/E by the ones from 10.6.1 below. NVEnabler 64 is not required anymore. Now my geforce is recognized in system profiler as "nVidia GeForce 9500 GT" like it was with 10.6.1 and I'm also able to run in 64-bit mode. :(

Kexts nVidia 10.6.1

But it's only a temporary solution.

Thanks Myska for the info - I have just updated to 10.6.2 on 2 machines following these steps ( the steps come from various sources Netkas, Myska )

Use any disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, for example “ NullCPUPM.kext, install it to Extra mkext and reboot, of course if you made AppleIntelCPUPM to speedstep your cpu, you can skip this step.

1. Backup Kernel to desktop ( use "showallfiles" to allow you to see and manipulate the file. )

2. Run update dmg DO NOT REBOOT !!!

3. Manually replace 2 video files with 10.6.1 kexts for Nvidia ( not sure if you really need this step but it allowed me to reboot and repair the kexts properly ( step 9 ) )

4. Repair Extra folder with Kext utility

5. Restore Kernel

6. Repair disk permissions with diskutility

7. Reboot now

8. use flags -v -f -x32

9. Replace Video files again with Kext Helper

10. Repair disk permissions

11. Reboot