**Updated** SleepEnabler for 10.6.5

Onixs

164 posts in this topic

to get sleepenabler to work on 10.6.4 i have to put pmVersion=20 in com.apple.boot.plist

Shouldn't it do this automatically?

I don't believe there is a version out yet for 10.6.4, and I haven't seen any mention of "20" being an option for pmVersion values.

Did you put it under kernel flags?

Never mind it works under kernel flags.

You can type it at the "?" prompt , when selecting a partition in non-GUI mode. You can also add it the way you describe, but the best, and cleanest, way is to create a new key labeled "pmVersion" in your boot.plist file.

to get sleepenabler to work on 10.6.4 i have to put pmVersion=20 in com.apple.boot.plist

Shouldn't it do this automatically?

If you wan't it to auto increment the pmversion when the kernel version is increased, you need to specify pmIncrement=1. The way the code is right now, it'll use the last known good value, unless if you tell it otherwise.

Oh, well - unfortunately I forgot a lot about fixing the Hackintosh over time since the machine just worked well for a quite a long while.

I only got my machine working again after restoring the 10.3. kernel. 10.4 KPed all the time regardless of what I tried. pmVersion seems to have absolutely no effect at all, neither manually set at boot nor in the plist. Fact is, I just cannot find sleepEnabler on my system - even after I used kextInstaller to install the kext from this thread (I used a boot disc to get the machine running). Its just nowhere. But boot log shows it clearly - as clear as the resulting KP. (mis-match CPU and Kernel). I checked several places using the terminal.

The sleepEnabler.kext should be found in /Extra/Extensions, right? It should be there and it should be loaded at boot then? If its not there it shouldn't be loaded at all? Or is there some secret place I just can't remember?

Sorry for asking stupid questions I just want to get sure and to find that sucker to beat the sh*t out of it or something and to check if the new kernel works at all on my machine without SleepEnabler.

Specs: Q6600 / Gigabyte Board / nVidia. Worked flawlessly so far.

I only got my machine working again after restoring the 10.3. kernel. 10.4 KPed all the time regardless of what I tried. pmVersion seems to have absolutely no effect at all, neither manually set at boot nor in the plist. Fact is, I just cannot find sleepEnabler on my system - even after I used kextInstaller to install the kext from this thread (I used a boot disc to get the machine running). Its just nowhere

if you used kexthelper then it's in system\library\extensions

After the update to 10.6.4 , my system don't boot and i get a KP. But I just modified the kernel flag to pmVersion=20 , my board is a gigabyte P35DS3R and i have to reinstall my atheros driver (everytime after update the airport disappear). If you use your hackintosh for music workstation and you have enough money to buy a professional audio card like ESI maya 44e or another one is recommended , because you have good quality sound drivers that works after many updates or new versions of os X (just download from manufacturer web site). :)

well im still getting a kernel panic after installing the sleepenabler.kext and having pmVersion=20 in my com.apple.Boot.plist. can anyone give me some insight on how to fix this. the only way i can get it to boot up is to boot with "mach_kernel pmVersion=20"

here is my com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>pmVersion=20</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If you wan't it to auto increment the pmversion when the kernel version is increased, you need to specify pmIncrement=1. The way the code is right now, it'll use the last known good value, unless if you tell it otherwise.

If the kext works for 10.6.1-2-3 then it does increment pmversion... why wouldn't it increment it for 10.6.4....

Thanks, Mustang Sally. I figured it out now I guess I just panicked myself a bit yesterday. Unfortunately MacOS boots only without SleepEnabler (completely removed) at the moment, I'll look into the whole thing later. At least the machine works for now without further problems.

If the kext works for 10.6.1-2-3 then it does increment pmversion... why wouldn't it increment it for 10.6.4....

By default, it'll only use up to the last know pm version. It doesn't always change with each release, so if it were to increment, it could also panic (there isn't any good way to know ahead of time). The other reason why it doesn't is becasue if the PM version changes, it means the pm structure also has changed. When you manually specify pmVersion=20, you'll telling it to load using the version 19 structure anyway. This could be hazardous, but since we only touch one part of the struct early on, it shouldn't change that often (if it doesn't, out'll get an even worse kernel panic). If you *really* wan't it to auto incriment, use pmIncriment=1 (I believe, I don't think I ever tested it out though).

Anyway, the answer to your question can be found by reading the source code, which has always be here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/source/browse/ (specifically the SleepEnabler.cpp file).

this worked wonderfully for me. thanks!

I had to go into system prefs under energy sharing and enable awake on power failure but now it's all dandy.

+1 Just had to enable restart on power failure and it works fine! Before this system just restarted every time. Thanks everyone for the posts!

Update

Here is the latest SleepEnabler that works for 10.6.4. No need to set the pmVersion=20 flag.

Update:

10.6.4 came out. You can still use this version, but be sure to add a flag "pmVersion=20" (without the quotes) to avoid KP.

Once Meklort upload the modified SleepEnabler for 10.6.4, i will post it here.

Kernel-independent version. Controlled via boot argument in com.apple.Boot.plist or manually enterted value (pmVersion)

Credit goes to Meklort.

This is the version that works on any current version of 10.6, including 10.6.3. The kext can be disabled at bootup by specifying the pmVersion=0 flag. You can replace the 0 with any number to tell it to match with another pm version as well.

eg. (not necessary needed IMO)

pmVersion=0 (Disable SleepEnabler)

pmVersion=17 (10.6.0/1)

pmVersion=18 (10.6.2)

pmVersion=19 (10.6.3)

pmVersion=20 (10.6.4)

Thanks for the pmVersion, it worked well to solve a KP after 10.6.4 update. I use now the new sleep enabler and it's OK.

Many of you are getting stuck with KPs because you dont know how to 1) back up your install, and 2) have a second drive ready for booting. I mean if you like the hackintosh saving you at least 300 bucks, use that money to get a few laptop drives to boot up on using USB. Thats what I did. I dont know everything. I asked alot of questions about my new Studio 14z but when I saw kernel panics, I always got right back working within 2-3 reboots by reading and fixing the panics. SOmetimes just by deleting the bad kext and rebuilding caches. I remember updating to 10.6.4 before reading this tread. I saw the KP was pointing to the sleepenabler. I simply deleted it and rebuilt my caches and I was fine and dandy. (but I had read how different versions needed it or not so I had a head start on problem solving). But simply read up on backin up and using backup booters so you can fix problems. Only for the newbies. which we all are at some point.

hey,

after installing this kext, my computer goes to sleep, but the screen stays on, frozen while the operating system responds i.e. hitting play in itunes

Is this a known issue, or a unique one? either way, is there a possible fix for it.

Thanks

abkratch

when i boot with pmVersion=20, it will go to sleep, (hard drive stops, Screen goes black) but will not wake from keyboard activity, or pressing the power button...

Possible fix for this?

thanks

abkratch

This is the first time when i install mac os snow leopard 10.6.4 o my pc (Asus PSQL mobo). Everything works well except sleep and pata controller(my leopard doesn't detect the second pata hdd drive)

I would appreciate if someone could make a tutorial to fix these 2 problems.

Please have patience with me, I'm beginner.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks in advance.