Powerbook G4 Alu. Upgrades!

1 post in this topic

So I recently lost my Powerbook G4 to the dreaded RAM issue, both slots had gone, yes, both.

In all my stupidity, I ordered an "upgrade" logic board, the 1.67ghz. While I have the A1095 model Powerbook, the logic board i bought is for the A1106 model.

So a few things went wrong right away.

There are two screws that hold the keyboard down that are located next to the RAM slots. These are in a different position on the A1106 model, so those two screws are useless.

The USB input on the A1106 model is located in a different spot, which required me to fold the ribbon cable over itself several times, and tuck in underneath a circuit board so it wasn't getting in the way, but the USB works again.

The Sleep mode in the Powerbook series is controlled by a reed switch which is actually located underneath the trackpad. In other model laptops they were located in other areas, but the 15" Powerbook has the switch underneath the trackpad. To get the sleep function working with the new top case (A1106 model required a different type of top case, as the trackpad and keyboard piggyback and work through a single small ribbon cable). The magnet taped behind the LCD needs to be moved over to the left and towards the back of the laptop just slightly, but to save you some stress, your mac has not developed a strange case of insomnia.

In my next update to this post, I'll hopefully be able to outline how to get the backlit keyboard working again, as that's the last part that I have yet to enable.

-bonestonne

post-125110-1259020842_thumb.jpg