HP Mini 311-1000

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I have followed the thread on this system for installing Snow Leopard, but I don't really want to change my wifi card, so I have been playing around with Leopard instead and currently have 10.5.8 installed. At present the video is at 1024x768 with no QE and the wifi works great. I have not even started on sound yet as it seems to be a big problem. I used the NetbookBootMaker app to get 10.5 installed, but quickly found that it caused problems when I updated to 10.5.8. So I used the older PC EFI v9 Chameleon to redo the boot process and basically eliminate the NBBM app from the system. This provided me with the system I have at present, but I plan to try other install methods as well to try and get the video where it should be at 1366x768. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

If you are looking for more information about the inner workings of this system, the HP Mini 311 - Project Thread is a good source and can be found here:

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195381%5b/url%5dIf%20you%20looking%20for%20a%20discussion%20geared%20towards%20installing%2010.6%20on%20this%20system,%20you%20can%20find%20that%20here:%5burl="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195374"]http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195374[/url]

About me, I'm by no means an expert on anything, but I like to mess with all things hackintosh and have written a couple of installation guides before for the OCZ Neutrino netbook (10.5 & 10.6), and have gotten OS X running on several systems including the MSI Wind PC. I started the Hackintosh Questions-Answers Google group for those wishing to discuss all things Hackintosh. Link is below in my sig.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Just an update, I do have full resolution on the 311 now (1360x768), but no QE. I have been re-reading the original thread for clues on how to get it working, but so far no help. I have considered going the 10.6 route just to see how well things work, but just not until someone gets wifi working in the half slot. I don't want to get extensions, tape pins, etc., just too much trouble when you can just run Windows XP or 7 and have access to everything.

36Joules

36Joules

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Kudos for doing this, I'll probably try my hand at this myself when my 311 arrives next week. Have you tried the old school EFI string to get QE?

ninjackn

ninjackn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The lack of wifi has turned me off from snow leopard as well.

I installed 10.5.6 and updaded to 10.5.7 but I also haven't been able to solved the graphics problem either. In fact I have some sort of critical bug going on with my graphics. If I scroll in a document or move a window around the outline of the window will move but the contents of the window won't get updated/moved with it. If i activate expose it'll refresh it an make it work.

I used netbookinstaller to get Chameleon 2 RC3 loaded and with the GraphicsMode=1366x768x32 (which ends up as 1360x768). I read in the 10.6 thread that all they needed to do was set GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon 2 RC3 to get ION LE working with 10.6 but it doesn't seem to be the same in 10.5, or I could be doing something horrible wrong and have the wrong kexts installed.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I believe you have to use the EFI partition with PC EFI installed there to get it. I have not tried in 10.5, but it worked that way in 10.6. Best I could do in 10.5 was the same, 1360x768 with no QE. A guy on the support thread wrote scripts to make this easier. Here is the link to that post:

http://www.insanelym...p...5374&st=60#

Post #72 has the info

I think he included the archive as well, so it's all in one neat bundle. If someone wants to try this in 10.5 it would be nice to know if it works. I'm working on a 10.6 install right now, but I plan to put 10.5 on the same drive.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
For anyone following this thread, I have moved back to 10.6 as sound is working now and I had a Dell DW 1390 which I used for wifi. It works so well it's hard to justify going back to Leopard, but I may try an install on the same HD sometime in the future.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
On ebay, it says the "Dell DW 1390" is not to be used on HP or IBM machines....

nerdyperdy

nerdyperdy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I'm getting a HP Mini 311 on Wednesday and really do love OS X. I have put it on a couple of computers and sorta like the challenge. Currently I am downloading iDeneb V1.3 and was looking for a guide. I have googled and googled and no-one seems to have one. I am insterested in SL but if I can get EVERYTHING to work with Leopard, then I'll stick with that as seeing as I am limited on money till the first of the year for an extra wifi card.

Is there anything I should look for or look out for when buying my HP. I am getting it from Verizon and have 3 choices(Mini 110, Mini 311, and some Gateway).

I appreciate the help and sorta need an answer soon...lol

~Nerd

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Sorry, I spend most of my time these days on other threads and don't check this one very often. My mini 311 is now running 10.6.2 with most everything working. At some point I may try and install Leopard on this also, but after all the hoops I went through to get Snow Leopard running, it seems a shame to take a step backwards. Besides, now that there is a guide of sorts on the project thread first page, complete with instructions for installing via DVD or USB, it is very easy to do.

I believe I tried iDeneb v1.4, at one point, but don't remember the outcome. I do know I had a vanilla 10.5 install running and the wifi worked fine with it. But at the time I was having problems with the video and sound, so with everyone else working on 10.6 I just gave up on 10.5.

I do now believe a 10.5 install could be made using the guide for 10.6 on the project first page but installing Leopard instead of Snow Leopard, and you would have the stock wifi working, along with video and sound as well. I may try this on another hard drive at some point and will let you know if it works. HTH

EDIT: I have tried it and it does not work. I cannot get it to boot using this method, just reboots the computer and ends up back at the HP logo. So only know way to install at this time is using the NetbookBootMaker from the Dell gang and install 10.5 that way.

Project thread: http://tinyurl.com/yhcue2m

Snow Leopard support thread: http://tinyurl.com/y97fcg6

On ebay, it says the "Dell DW 1390" is not to be used on HP or IBM machines....

The DW 1390 worked fine on mine, but required the use of cable extensions so the internal antenna could be used. It has to go in the full slot as it is a full-sized card, but other than that it worked fine. Oh, also pin 20 on the card had to be disabled either by taping or cutting the trace so there is no connection to it.

Since the HP whitelist has been removed by flashing the firmware, I am now able to use a wireless N (DW 1510) in the half slot and no need to disable any pins. Plus it works with the stock cables which makes for a much neater install. HTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy