Got a Macbook

29 posts in this topic

Man I have no idea why I feel the need to post this here, but after all that hackintoshing, I finally broke down and bought a Macbook this weekend. My wife was replacing her ageing iBook with a Macbook and I realized that my DV4000 was worth a large fraction of another Macbook. Before I knew what was happening we were headed home with 2 of these suckers. Serious freakin reality distortion field.

But maaaaaan is it nice. And the first time system updated popped up, it sure as hell was fun clicking "install them all!"

So I guess this is why Apple doesn't come down harder on the OSX86 endeavor? Somehow I went from "never buying another apple product" (last year after a BAD mini experience--which is why I have the dv4000) to typing this on a macbook. They put crack in OSX.

So I guess this is why Apple doesn't come down harder on the OSX86 endeavor? Somehow I went from "never buying another apple product" (last year after a BAD mini experience--which is why I have the dv4000) to typing this on a macbook. They put crack in OSX.

I think a lot people here are going to be buying Apple laptops. I know I will. Not only do I still want access to a real Mac while "hackintoshing", but I know that Apple laptops are a fair deal. Moreover, I do not think anyone can touch Apple's notebooks when it comes to design and quality. These issues really do not matter to me with a desktop.

I think a lot people here are going to be buying Apple laptops. I know I will. Not only do I still want access to a real Mac while "hackintoshing", but I know that Apple laptops are a fair deal. Moreover, I do not think anyone can touch Apple's notebooks when it comes to design and quality. These issues really do not matter to me with a desktop.

I'm in the same boat here. I'm planning on getting a macbook pro for the same reason. When it comes to my desktop machines, I think I will always be building my own. Congrats on the buy quietglow! I can't wait to join you and all the other people that already have their sexy laptops.

Thanks guys!

It really is amazing how much computer the macbook is for the price (especially if you get the educational discount). I was at Best Buy last night and took a stroll around the laptop isle (something I usually do). In both aesthetics AND simple processing power, the macbook blows away nearly everything sitting on the shelves.

Yeah, desktops are another story though. Apple's pro-tax has always been pretty outrageous and I'm with Bofors on this one: while having a nice looking tower may be nice, it is pretty much the bottom of the list in terms of importance. I'll take my ugly hackintosh rig which goes very nicely under my desk.

I went round and round about getting the Pro or not. I ended up deciding I didn't really need the additional things the Pro offered, especially in light of the problems people are still having. I hate when I get an Apple product and it is seriously upgraded within a month or two: I'm guessing that this revision of the Macbook is here for awhile, and I'm also guessing the Pro was a transitional model and will get an upgrade with the launch of the new processors.

I hate when I get an Apple product and it is seriously upgraded within a month or two: I'm guessing that this revision of the Macbook is here for awhile, and I'm also guessing the Pro was a transitional model and will get an upgrade with the launch of the new processors.

Well, it is clearly to me that Yonah is a merely a transitionaly chip, so I expect the MacBook to get significantly upgraded with Merom no later than say November. Apple is going to have to keep up with Intel's release schedule, the days of Mac's being stuck with the same chip for a year are almost over.

However, I agree that the "real" MacBook Pro is yet to come and will arrive with Merom. I think we might see it announced at the Paris Apple Expo in September. It should sport the next generation enclosure (perhaps with an anodized black option), have an external SATA port, have higher resolution displays and perhaps somekind of a hybrid-flash drive.

Seriously, congrats on the purchase dude! 2 for the price of 1? Really, you do get double the computer when you think about it. In your case, 4x? AWESOME.

My 17" MacBook Pro arrives tomorrow. Add me to the list of those who hackintoshed into the purchase. I actually wanted the Black Macbook, but my wife upgraded me, and told me later what she had done. . .

There will always be something better in the upcoming months. We can thank Apple for that. Who else can we count on to innovate anymore? Now if tcptraceroute/libnet would just work on OSX86, and how long before bookendz releases a new dock? That will complete my perfect setup!

Well, it is clearly to me that Yonah is a merely a transitionaly chip, so I expect the MacBook to get significantly upgraded with Merom no later than say November. Apple is going to have to keep up with Intel's release schedule, the days of Mac's being stuck with the same chip for a year are almost over.

However, I agree that the "real" MacBook Pro is yet to come and will arrive with Merom. I think we might see it announced at the Paris Apple Expo in September. It should sport the next generation enclosure (perhaps with an anodized black option), have an external SATA port, have higher resolution displays and perhaps somekind of a hybrid-flash drive.

that will probably be the case and i also hope that this might prompt apple to reduce the price of its hardware due to the relatively rapid releases of chips.

Well, it is clearly to me that Yonah is a merely a transitionaly chip, so I expect the MacBook to get significantly upgraded with Merom no later than say November.

Yeah, I can deal with a processor upgrade for the Macbook--I think for my mobile needs, the 1.8 core duo is a good bit more than I actually need.

The MBP, on the other hand, has always reminded me of the first Powerbook g3 (kanga). You know when the debuted the G3 chip they released what I think is still the most expensive mac laptop--it was just a Powerbook 3400 with a g3 chip shoved in it. A mere 7 months later they scrapped that model for the REAL new G3, our beloved Wallstreet. Best laptop ever if you ask me. But anyway, Apple certainly has a history of shoe-horning the new architecture into an old case while they redesign the real deal. I was not overly tempted by the MBP (in part because the MB is so damn good), but I'm sure the redesign will be super-nice.

Or, maybe things are going as many pundits seem to be suggesting: maybe apple has turned its focus where the money is in the consumer market. Its hard to argue with the fact that they seemed to work harder at making the MB 'revolutionary' as opposed to 'evolutionary.'

BTW Munky, Aperture runs quite nicely on the MB--I'm piping it to my 1600x1200 Samsung LCD for serious editing sessions.

I gotta know,,,,

There's been lost of reviews and comments from macbook owners

about high temprature operations of the macbook.

Many say it's a real problem.

Do you notice that after lond periods of working on both your shinny new macbooks ?

I am considering buying one and this is the only thing that stops me from doing so.

Jonathan

Okay, here's the deal: I tend to pay too much attention to this, if I'm not carefull. So I don't run CoreTemp all the time or I'd sit there and wonder if X degress was too hot etc. I just fired it up and I'm sitting at 54c and the laptop has been running all day--very light load for the last hour with just web surfing etc.

Is that too hot? I dunno, its not hot to the touch on the keyboard or underneath--I would have zero problem setting it in my lap. The fan does not come on until 80c I think, and it gets to that point when doing something super processor intensive for a few minutes. Running a bunch of photoshop filters does it. The fans drop the temp quickly and don't stay on for long. They run no more often than they did on my TiBook 1ghz.

FWIW, one of the first things I did when I got it was to run some proc. intensive stuff and see if it was throttling the processor beacuse of hitting high temps--this was something I saw reported. I never observed this on mine doing real world applications.

Bottom line? It runs warmer than my DV4000, but I don't find it anywhere near unacceptable. Its also a whole lot more powerful and thinner and that would account for more heat. Will the extra heat cause earlier failure? Time will tell I suppose.

I gotta know,,,,

Do you notice that after lond periods of working on both your shinny new macbooks ?

I am considering buying one and this is the only thing that stops me from doing so.

Jonathan

On my 1.83 when I start compiling things in darwinports etc. I do see the temps get up into the high 70's. But the fan comes right on and cools things down. For normal surfing, email etc. I never see it above about 60... All in all I'm quite pleased with it...

Ron

I gotta know,,,,

Jonathan

Once you buy one, check the vents, etc for any leftover plastic covers (they'll be made of clear plastic, kind of like the ones that protect new cell phone screens that everyone peels off). That seems to be the #1 culprit behind hot Macbooks.

I leave it on my lap. It doesn't get too bad as long as you don't @#$%ing put any body part near the vent O_o

Just keep something between it and your skin; the CPU would appreciate having some way to conduct heat down.

Got my MBP 17 a couple of days ago. I will say it gets hotter than any other notebook I've used, but it is tolerable. I bought a $30 lap tray with fans, only need it if I'm doing really processor intensive stuff. Normal web surfing, core temps in the 40-50c range. The machine is warm, but not uncomfortably so.

At work, lots of apps running, parrallels, etc., temps 65c-75c. Peg the procs, 80c+. The fans kick in, and it cools back under 80c, but the top next to the screen by the hinge is too hot to touch for long. The underside is warm, too hot for the lap. Its cool where my hands rest, which is what really matters. Its lap tray and table if I'm going to work the machine hard. Surfing now, writing this, procs under 10% and it isn't too hot on my lap, on the couch. Warm, yes, but not hot.

I spoke with Apple Care today, in fact, asking what nominal temp ranges are. . they said they don't have any such range? They asked if the fans kicked in, and when I said yes, they said not to worry, there are several redundant sensors that will keep the machine from damaging itself. None-the-less, glad I called and got it noted that this machine runs a bit too warm for my comfort when working it hard. For the record, I love the machine, and the heat isn't enough to make me regret my purchase. I do hope they give us an option to increase fans at the expense of battery and noise. I'd think it not to difficult to code.

Congrats. :hysterical:

I'm suffering withdrawals as I'm at the only point my life that I've not owned a Mac. Just waiting on the Merom rev of the MBPS.

Those Macbooks are nice though.

You guys obviously don't know jack about plastic computers from Apple.

First they're a nice whitish color. Then they go beigeish.

But a MacBook is FAST. So the engineers at Apple accelerated the plastic color shift they've used since the 80's (simple patented chemical formula); mine is almost entirely yellow and well on its way to blue. I'll keep you posted on which color comes next :3