OSX on Asus G60VX

jakebb

119 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

The good news is that I was able to get OSX installed with the help of the tutorials and advice of this site's users (amongst other sources, of course) but I'm having some pretty wicked graphical issues. I've used a few different injectors, but it seems that none of them is the right one. QE/CI are working according to the test methods suggested at tonymac's blog, but after a few moments of running the monitor begins to flicker and tear before becoming completely unusable (though not frozen as I can still move the cursor about the screen) Any thoughts? I've read that 10.6.4 has had some issues with NVIDIA cards, so I'm wondering if this might not just be something that I should deal with until 10.6.5 rolls around and HOPEFULLY fixes my issues.

• 7 months later...

Hey sorry to resurrect this thread but has any g60vx user gotten 10.7 lion working yet? I am willing to try it if I have clear steps to follow, but I don't want to just start from scratch because I know it is going to end up being a big hassle. I think if 10.6 uses the same kexts as 10.7 then it would be easy to get it working.

@jakebb I have it running on G51Jx it should be fine on the G60 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 to create your flashdrive read this the one problem I had was keyboard and trackpad even though mine did work in Lion after booting from the flashdrive I had to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse to get to the installer

• 4 weeks later...

So right now im making some research to install OSX 10.7, but I've always had this question that never got answered. How is it that you guys made your installation? Did you install OSX on a MBR partition? If so, then could you let me know what distro you used and a link to download it? Because, my installation of SL is quite weird, I installed windows on a separate partition that I had to format, then OSX was installed on the rest of the space. Its really annoying not being able to install OSX on the MBR partition. Any help will be really appreciated ;)

So right now im making some research to install OSX 10.7, but I've always had this question that never got answered. How is it that you guys made your installation? Did you install OSX on a MBR partition? If so, then could you let me know what distro you used and a link to download it? Because, my installation of SL is quite weird, I installed windows on a separate partition that I had to format, then OSX was installed on the rest of the space. Its really annoying not being able to install OSX on the MBR partition. Any help will be really appreciated :)

Sorry for taking a while to respond, I don't check this thread often anymore. I dual boot snow leopard and windows 7. Look through the thread, I posted the steps I did to do it on a single hard drive. I used a modified boot camp that converted the gpt partition into a gpt/mbr hybrid, allowing you to install windows. You need to install OSX first though.

Good News for everyone here! I am typing this right from my installation of OSX Lion on this laptop ;), all kexts are working for now, so hopefully there will be some more development due to this awesome OS. If you need any help, then let me know...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still having trouble getting audio to work with 10.6. Which kext did you install to get it to work? Thanks in advance.

Audio is easy, all you need is voodoohda and it should work perfectly. Even the mic should work if you use the latest one.

Audio is easy, all you need is voodoohda and it should work perfectly. Even the mic should work if you use the latest one.

Thanks! That works. One problem I still have is that the mic remains open and plays back any ambient sounds (even typing!) Is there any way to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts, anyone?

I use an older version of voodoohda because I do not like the mic sounds. You can mute the mic in the voodoohda preferences, which is what I used to do. The problem with that is, when the computer is starting up you will hear the mic noise for a few seconds. This may or may not be a problem for you. I can upload the voodoohda that I use if you want to do it that way.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thanks for this guide and all of you help on getting Snow Leopard on my Asus g60vx. I know this thread is old but I was wondering if anybody was able to get sleep working on this install ? I guess I can just turn it off but would nice to get it working. I might even put Lion on here if I see you get that working.

Thanks Again,

Zephr

Edit= I have look everywhere but there is really no way to get sleep working on this laptop.

No biggie

Thanks

Good News for everyone here! I am typing this right from my installation of OSX Lion on this laptop :rolleyes:, all kexts are working for now, so hopefully there will be some more development due to this awesome OS. If you need any help, then let me know...

Hiya ninj0e,

I was wondering how you got Lion installed? Was hoping you could give a post on what you did?

Thanks,

Zephr

• 1 month later...

I've got lion installed via the flash drive install method; basically following lifehacker tutorials. In the process of triple booting but I'm trying to make sure OSX is working perfectly before I install the other OS's. My understanding is OSX needs to be first, then Windows, then Linux. In Linux you need to run gptsync /dev/sda to fix the boot loader issue.

In the beginning partitioning, before OSX was installed I used Gparted live cd to format both drives and write MSDOS partition/file tables. Then in the OSX install I used the disk utility to create an OSX partition that was hfs+ (mac journaled fs) and created msdos/fat for the Win & Linux partitions. After OSX is installed and you start the windows installation you need to format the partition as ntfs in order to write to it otherwise it says "this is a gpt partition table". Even though it's not we're making a hybrid and it thinks it is from what I can tell due to the fact that OSX installs/creates an EFI hidden partition at the beginning of the drive.

The issues I'm having right now are just getting all of the drivers working in OSX 10.7, I couldn't get the DSDT file listed on this site to work. So I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the options of easy beast and system utilities checked. Afterwards I used arch=i386 and cpus=1 to boot off of the hard drive. I installed what I think is the latest drivers for sound and ethernet and they are both working.

VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg

RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg

I am about to try the TSCSync and see if I can get that and the VoodooSDHC working. If I am able to then I still need to fix the keyboard/trackpad issue. I have an external keyboard and mouse connected via usb, but the keyboard and trackpad on the system don't seem to work at the moment. Graphics drivers pretty much worked out of the box after installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I'm currently using a resolution of 1366 x 768 which is much better than the 1024 x 768 I was dealing with. The G60vx keyboard layout helped me to get the pipe symbol back, thanks. Now if I can just use the onboard keyboard I'll be set!

Thank you to everyone in the community that has posted for these many years giving people like myself the ability to read through your notes and learn from you. And, thank you to all who have contributed code/configurations/etc... which have made compatibility, and ease of setup, work even better with our laptops!

Regards,

-d0cipx

TSCSync is working well, I need to find an SD card to test out the SDHC driver. I wanted to add that I took the \Downloads\g51vxworking\Extra\Extensions folder and copied Extensions to \Extra\Extensions on the install drive. After this, camera functionality started working. I wonder if I need to add any of them or any of the others located at \Downloads\g51vxworking\System\Library\Extensions to be installed by the kext installer utility?

I was experiencing some of the same things as other users.

In regards to crackling in sound, what it seem like to me was that it was turning the speakers in to microphones. The mic and the speakers were picking up sound/interference so turned the mic down and disabled it as well as increased noise reduction on the speaker settings which seems to have improved things.

As for the computer going to sleep I have disabled sleep for now. I have sleep enabler.kext from the g51_working folder in the Extensions area of the file system as stated above, but every time the computer went to sleep I was unable to bring it out of the sleep state and ended up rebooting.

Still no luck yet with the onboard keyboard and trackpad. I've tried installing VoodooPS2Controller.kext both the one from the g51_working folder and a different one I found online that is in pkg format but neither seem to work for me.

Apparently, I'm also seeing that when I modify the settings in VoodooHDA they will reset back to their default after I reboot. Anyone know why this is? I'm guessing I'll need a startup script b/c changing it manually is already getting annoying.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion on their G60 or G51 using Darwin bootloader? It starts to install then says it needs to restart. I select OSX and it boots to the desktop without completing the upgrade. I'd rather upgrade instead of wiping the OS and doing a full install. Snow Leopard has been running flawlessly since I installed it over 2 years ago. Thanks again to jakebb for some tips. We didn't go out our install in the exact same way, but but in general I followed the same steps.

If it makes any difference my G60 came with two 320GB drives so I have OSX on one drive with the bootloader and Windows 7 on the secondary drive (no bootloader on this drive). My assumption is the bootloader is causing the problem. When I installed a Win7 service pack I had to set the primary boot drive to the Win7 driver as it would not initialize the service pack install when I used Darwin to boot Win7.