It Just Works On A Mac.

gwprod12

55 posts in this topic

LOL

I probably should have phrased it differently. You know how those commercials are like "Everything Just Works!" to mean like weird peripherals... stuff windows would never ever be able to run, like a digital camera................

Just wondering if anyone had a peripheral on a genuine mac that doesnt work. (preferably a newer or even Intel Mac)

My all in one printer works only halfway. The printer half works via Gutenprint. I've been trying to get TWAIN Sane to work on the scanner half with no results. It works fine (and relatively fast) in Virtual PC though.

You might want to try VueScan to see if it works with your scanner, it worked for my HP PSC-1350.

Lol, well it dont just work, it works very well. :) compared to Windows its quite a Big step up in stability and ease of use.

I mean i have every app i need and they all work so well and flow niceley are easy to use and do what they say. in XP its all clunky and so not a nice work flow, not that it was hard, but sprouting off to a friend going start >> settings >> control panel blah blah blah, so many ways to the same admin task or driver / visual / other configuration point in Windows OS's.

There is only one case that really comes to mind. I tried hooking my brother's PC formated "video" iPod up to my G5 and got squat. I mean, I could not access his music library.

I assume the problem was that either his iPod was not updated or that I was using a Mac and it was set up for PC.

In anycase, I was pissed. I remember saying this can't be right, it is just supposed to work.

There is only one case that really comes to mind. I tried hooking my brother's PC formated "video" iPod up to my G5 and got squat. I mean, I could not access his music library.

I assume the problem was that either his iPod was not updated or that I was using a Mac and it was set up for PC.

I had a similar problem when I first switched over. I had to update my iPod on a Winblows machine, and that did it - my Mac could read, play and write to it via iTunes. You can copy music and video from PC iPods using a program called iPodRip. Using what iTines has built in and this aweosme little app, the iPod does just work. :graduated:

Call Apple and complain

What good is an xbox 360 controller if your mac wont drive it?

:graduated:

bofors: he wasnt able to either, from what I saw, he had to use a patch in windows to make it work on a mac.

Most things do just work on a Mac, and that is how it should be. You have to take the fact that Macs haven't always been, they were create by humans, and therefore human error is bound to show up in them. Just be greatful that Apple does as much as they do; though not everything "just works", one can say that almost everything just works --this is much more than can be said about a Windows machine. Either way, you are better off going with a Mac for compatibility.

I bought an iSight a little less than a year ago for my PC. I plugged it in, the computer recognized it as a camera, but that was all. So, I installed the Mac drivers for it, and it worked beautifuly, or so it seemed. I was in a video conference and the people on the other end, just moments after we had begun, told me that the video feed they were recieving was distorted --very grainy and out of proportion. After that, I tried it on my friends PC and my other PC --same problem on both. I then returned it, got another one and tested it. Same problems.

Also, if you take a Mac formatted iPod and plug it into a Windows machine, it sees the drive as corrupt and tries to "fix" it for you. Now, this fixing really means format it to FAT32. All windows could do was recognize the device as an iPod --it couldn't read, write, or even tell me the disk size.

Those are only two examples of things not working on a PC. I've got more if you want them.

Oh dear, it seems that I missed the "not." Sorry about that. :hysterical:

There are plenty of peripherals that are designed for PC that don't easily work on them. In my time working with PCs, I'd have to say that about half of the USB peripherals fought me every step of the way. One good example of this is a Epson Perfection scanner I had. I installed the drivers first, as I was instructed to in the manual -no errors during install. I restarted and plugged in the scanner. The computer saw it, knew it was a scanner, but the software that same with it couldn't see it most of the time. It would see it and start up as it should sometimes, but on those times it would lock up when I tried to actually scan something. I went through the same testing procedures that I did with the iSight with no luck. It just didn't want to work.