This is what Apple should do

39 posts in this topic

A Mac Mini is NOT a replacement for a PC. PCs are definitely cheaper and are worth more in terms of having more bank for your buck. Apple thrives on a loyalty, cult like culture. This is why they WILL NEVER sell a cheaper computer than white box manufacturers do (in terms of equal performance/ specs). And I definitely don't forsee OS X being licensed to beige boxes as this, although how profitable it would be to Apple, would choke its hardware sales and create a massive exodus of Mac fanboys. The future belongs to two camps: The Wintel group (of which some, like us, use hacked copies of OS X to dual-boot) and AppleOSX (which use bootcamp to dual-boot).

I'm glad at least someone agrees with me.

From a money and market-share perspective, licensing OS X out is a good plan. But again, money and marketshare isnt their interest. They sell the value-added martyrdom.

Licensing out OS X is a terrible plan from a money and market share perspective. The entire point of Boot Camp is that Apple no longer has to compete against Microsoft, but against weaker companies like HP and Dell. Why would they jump head first into a fight they can not possibly win? Why would they convert a hardware manufacturing company with a software division into a company that focuses on software first, competing during the transition with a company that has been dedicated to software for 30 years? To make up for the lower profit per unit made on software, they would have to dominate the market fast, which wouldn't be possible.

Average consumers don't want to muck about with installing a new operating system with their computer. They are afraid to. Most people prefer to stick with the software that comes in the box. Thus, the only way to capture the market is to get Dell, HP, Lenovo, and others to ship boxes with Mac OS. Those companies would not sell computers exclusively with Mac OS, because that would utterly destroy their business, as they lose all of the people who don't want Mac OS, and at the moment there are many. The only way the hardware manufacturers would remain viable is to offer people a choice between Mac OS and Windows. If people had a choice regarding what OS shipped with their new computer, I'd wager that most of them would choose Windows, because they are afraid to make the switch. Apple can only take over the market slowly, which isn't an option if they rededicate their business to software.

It isnt an option at all with their current plan. The ability to dual boot OS X and Windows wont be a major draw to people who're used to paying half as much for a computer. Let's let time tell.

Agreed. I'm content that I can run OS X on my Dell Inspiron and hope that will continue to be the case for the next version of Mac. Don't care if Apple is going to officially rls it or not. That's why osx86project.org is for :police:

• 1 month later...

Ya I'm really disadvantaged being able to Quad boot, Windoze any version I want, Linux any version, OS X any vesion since 10.4.3 and Vista Beta 2 on my inferior laptop natively....let's see Mac boxes can run.......OS X, Windows if they use Bootcamp or an emulator and ......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh sorry I fell asleep.

It isnt an option at all with their current plan. The ability to dual boot OS X and Windows wont be a major draw to people who're used to paying half as much for a computer. Let's let time tell.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! SOMEONE ELSE WHO KNOWS THE MYSTICAL SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSS!! because i can diy a laptop for 1/2 the price that will kick apples but, or like, a dell, or a sony (oh wait, theyre ova priced too but i still like them... ) or compaq (what i currently have)/hp :blink:

thank you

max

and the quadboot thing, true that, but in reality you can boot as many oss as your harddrive supports (i think 3 or 4 primary partitions) :D

Ya I'm really disadvantaged being able to Quad boot, Windoze any version I want, Linux any version, OS X any vesion since 10.4.3 and Vista Beta 2 on my inferior laptop natively....let's see Mac boxes can run.......OS X, Windows if they use Bootcamp or an emulator and ......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh sorry I fell asleep.

tisk tisk. that'd be a wrong answer.

Macs run: Any version of Mac OS X 10.4+, Windows, any form of Linux that will run on an x86 platform, and Windows Vista. It's not a bad thing you have to use BootCamp to install Windows, it just makes the whole process able to be done from one program, and know what I personally think is the best about BootCamp? That it has you burn all the Mac drivers to a CD/DVD so that way when windows starts, you just pop it in and your computer is working. And who says Linux doesn't run on Mac? Where did you get that idea? And where did you get the idea that intel macs don't run vista, they have Macbooks with intergrated GMA 950 graphics running vista :blink:

I seriously completely 100% doubt that Apple will release OS X to be installed on beige PCs. And I seriously completely 100% HOPE that they WON'T. Many people don't understand that the reason they're so stable and as excellent as they are, is because they are LOCKED. DOWN. They don't have an overload of drivers, they don't have anything at all they don't need. Unlike Microsoft, which has to support nearly every device in the galaxy.

THIS TOPIC HAVE BEEN STEPPED ON USED AND ABUSED, raped, molested, and murdered.

stop thinking for 1 second as an end user and see WHY apple WILL NOT release it for genereic hardware. Is f***ing common sense that 1 company will not destroy 1 dpt the ycount on to make money only to satisfy a couple of people who want it..i mean really whats the share for osx on beige box?

ohh my god please if you owned a company and your whole income was based on software and hardware but the hardware brings you money would you destroy it to satisfy the industry? would you really? please stop it already

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. when apple decides to stop doing their own design (and kill their design dpt leaaving people with out jobs) then apple will release it for a beige box.

WHEN APPLE DECIDES TO PUT A GUN INTO THEIR HEAD AND PULL THE TRIGER THATS WHEN IT WILL BE RELEASED FOR GENERIC HARDWARE.

when apple f***ing decides that want to strictly concentrate on software only and loose on millions they make on hardware THATS WHEN THEY WILL RELEASE THE f***ing OPERTAING SYSTEM O GENERIC HARDWARE

oh my f***ing lord is so simple yet many people still continue t oask teh damn question.

I don't get it. What are you saying? :blink:

He's saying he's sick and tired of people creating topics and petitions about releasing OS X on general hardware or licensing to major computer companys such as IBM, Dell, HP, or Sony. We all know that it will never happen and hes saying we all just need to stop creating theese topics as they are just worthless and bitter, old, S.P.A.M.

... but Apple WANTED to licence their OS to other companies. They were all over the clone idea. The problem came from the fact that those other companies wouldn't pay the money that Apple wanted for the licences. So they stopped it.

I put it to you, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, that now Mac is intel, and clones could be made for (comparitive) peanuts, that those Clone companies could afford to pay the licence fee that Apple wanted AND make a profit from their machines. If Apple tried the clone game these days, they would win. Or rather, WE would ;)