This is what Apple should do

39 posts in this topic

I think if Apple were to release osx to beige boxes they should leave it the same and don't add legacy support or more drivers (kexts) for other hardware leave it alone! Look at how good we're coming along without those drivers....i think that this would be the best way for apple to release it because then if you didn't want to mess with finding hacked drivers (kexts) you would simply go buy a MAC :happymac: Doesn't this just sound peachy for both us and Apple :2cents: ? :star_smile::D

EDIT: :offtopic: Macs are no longer Macs they are simply beige pc that have a different os and a pretty case on them...nothing more

Apple isnt interested in making money or marketshare

Well, they are, it's just not their primary goal.

Apple wants Apple People. Apple people are those special people who, when you give them a cup of {censored}, they smile and praise the vintage.

Apple doesnt want people who question them. If you're gonna question, buy MS.

It's an answer to your question. Or a comment on your statement.

Apple wont do it, because it isnt in their "Plan" to sell an operating system.

Apple should do it tho, I'm fully in agreement with you.

If Apple just said "You know what? If you wanna buy Mac OS X and put it on your PC, you can. But we wont support it and we wont take it back", I'd buy it.

k just wondering

I don't know - once the towers hit the streets, it should be easier to get driver support as they will have PCI slots and the like. I think it's a matter of time before the OS is available to all.

;)

Apple isnt interested in making money or marketshare

Well, they are, it's just not their primary goal.

Apple is not concerned about the iPod's and iTMS' marketshare? Hmm...

If Apple has not licensed OS X to HP, Dell or Sony in about five years then we can something (but perhaps only about Steve Jobs' primary goal for Apple this time around).

Yes, of course iPods and such take a back seat at Apple Computer.

However, I view the transition to x86 from PPC as being a prelude to a major campain by Apple to gain serious market share by licensing OS X to the like of HP, Dell and Sony.

Only time will tell, the transition itself will not even be completed until sometime next year.

Well it certainly does come down to market share and money.

It is quite obvious that holding something like 2% of the market share is a risky proposition for the long term survival of OS X. To get market share, Apple must crack the main stream corporate market place and they simply will not buy Apple's slick overpriced gear. No, corporate clowns only buy from HP, Dell and such.

To anyone with half a brain, it is patently obvious that Apple will make a ton of money by licensing OS X. In my mind this is makes it inevitable. The only question is whether Steve Jobs is dead set againt it or not. I think not, but if he is, then we might have to wait until Steve retires to see OS X unleashed (and that could be a long time).

Selling the operating system to any company that wanted to build a clone, and foisting the responsibility of support onto them was ALWAYS a good idea, even more so now. A Power Computing machine was half the price and as good as an Apple. But Apple users couldnt feel good about their $5000 9500 purchase when nextdoor neighbour Jimmy paid $1900 for the same thing with a different sticker on it. It's all about moral superiority with Apple and it's owners.

And it always will be.

The hardware is not what keeps "corporate clowns" away from Apple. The software does. No matter how easy Mac OS is to use, no matter how quickly people can learn it, for a large corporation, switching to a new operating system is a huge and costly affair. If Dell started shipping computers with only Mac OS, large businesses would not buy them. If they shipped computers with Mac OS and Windows, large businesses would only use Windows. Apple can make headway into the corporate world with new businesses and small businesses, but those groups, if they wanted to use Mac OS in the first place, would be unlikely to be turned off by the hardware. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that licensing Mac OS would not make sense.

Besides, Microsoft's troubles don't stem entirely from incompetence. The arrangement of building on OS for other manufacturer's hardware is part of what keeps them locked in the death trap of backwards compatability that holds back real progress for the OS. You think Apple could have made the kind of evolutionary leap they took with OS X if they had Dell and HP to deal with? I don't.

I'm not sure the IT department is to blame. I would place the blame more on higher level management. No matter how much IT guys wanted to switch operating systems, the CEO, CFO, and so on, would still wet themselves at the thought of using anything other than Windows.

A Nonny Mouse: I've never found that to be the case. Microsoft does make some terrible products, and most IT people recognize that. The only Microsoft products I use are Visual Studio, Office and Windows. Though I do think Microsoft brands some pretty good games.

Disliking Microsoft isnt a very good reason not to use their software. If their software sucks, that's a good reason not to use it.

Now, if you want to talk about corporate culture, I dont deny that Microsoft has a very powerful brainwashing mojo. Fortunately for everyone, it's kept too busy being used on the people who work at the Microsoft Campus. LOL.

BTW. If you know of a Visual Development package that is less cumbersome and more usable than Visual Studio, please... suggest away.

And Office... well... It just works :gathering:

But seriously, I've only ever tried StarOffice and Wordperfect as alternatives to office, and I felt both of them sucked.

Another thing about Microsoft, that's really good for startup companies especially, is they "overlook" all of the illicit usage of Microsoft products. At least until the company starts to get profitable. I worked at a dotcom that died... They had hundreds apon hundreds of illicit microsoft softwares making the company run. So the microsoft sales guy showed up one day asking to see licenses. When the company was like "Uh... lemme look in my backpack........", the Microsoft guy was like "That's okay, I'm sure you just misplaced them. I'll be more than happy to give you a sizeable discount on replacement licenses for the products you own". The company cut a half a million dollar check (the company had mad cash at this point) to Microsoft, and that was that.

But my company could do that, cause they bought non-branded beige boxes from the place down the street. They bought K6/300s for like $250 a piece, back when a similar Mac was $2000. Not to mention that no one that worked there knew how to run a mac (this was 1998).

If Apple had ever offered their computers for a price even remotely equivalent to the PC, they'd be dominant now.

Apple's unwillingness to saturate the market with their product is the reason why their marketshare is so small. Not because there's a vast worldwide conspiracy to keep the mac down ;-p

I dont see how word perfect could crash a server...

But word perfect does kinda suck, I think.

I havent tried Pages yet, but I will.

But my company could do that, cause they bought non-branded beige boxes from the place down the street. They bought K6/300s for like $250 a piece, back when a similar Mac was $2000. Not to mention that no one that worked there knew how to run a mac (this was 1998).

If Apple had ever offered their computers for a price even remotely equivalent to the PC, they'd be dominant now.

Apple's unwillingness to saturate the market with their product is the reason why their marketshare is so small. Not because there's a vast worldwide conspiracy to keep the mac down ;-p

Wow, 1998. The best Apple system at the time was a PowerMac G3 beige with its speedy 266 MHz processor running OS 8. Of course, those G3's severely trounced Wintel boxes at the time. In fact, it isn't until the iMac G3 that we saw a sub-$1000 system from Apple, but that all-in-one design appealed to nearly everyone, including George Foreman, who made his grills iMac colored.

Now flash forward to today, and we Apple selling Mac minis for $599. Is it as cheap as those $50 Dells? No it isn't, but it's because Apple doesn't use anything like celery (intentional) processors. They also give you a tremendous software bargain that makes up for the price difference. Such a bargain tends to be ignored, though, by people only looking at an initial price tag.

Good lord, even I wouldnt give Steve Jobs head, and I'm notoriously promiscuous.

:gathering:

Apple is making progress. Instead of making up lies about their product, even though they've had 20 years of practice, they should emphasize the good points, like:

A Mac Mini can play Pong natively.

Mac Mini's $600 pricetag includes... No Monitor, No Keyboard, No Mouse. And a graphic's card that barely runs games, if it runs them at all. Oh and yah, a Core Solo is no Pentium 4 3.0 ghz

Okay, maybe they should stick with their lies... looks like the truth wouldnt sell an igloo-making machine to an Eskimo.

You're right, I'm wrong. I stand corrected.

Edit: I only paid $700 for my 19" LCD monitor, 250gb hard drive, Pentium D 805, 1gb of ram, case, DVDRW, DVD-Rom, 945GM motherboard and Radeon X1600 video card and Windows XP Professional.

A Mac Mini is a better deal how?

Speaking of computer manufacturer's propaganda...

Dell has Award-Winning Service And Support. But the awards they won for their service and support were the Darwin Award and "Worst Support Coming From India 2005"