Mac G5 Dual 1.8ghz

1 post in this topic

So, in a perfect world, if I had a Powermac G5 Dual with 1.8ghz processors, what would be the baddest machine I could turn that into?

I've seen the dual core PPC packages, but I don't know mac hardware that well, so I'm consulting the gurus here.

Hypothetically, if I were to find two Dual core packages, same model number etc, would I then be able to throw those in for a quad core monster?

For now, consider the budget to be unlimited, but also consider it more cost effective to upgrade the 1.8ghz dual core than to upgrade the whole computer.

Best guess is that the machine is 2005 model year, it was top of the line when it came out.

Any and all help would be much appreciated, it's for a family friend, but I don't go into macs nearly as much as one might think (i only have a powerbook).

I don't know the revision of the Logic Board. If there's a way to find it through System Profiler, that would be more ideal than opening the box up (95% of the time it's on for photography work, so consider down time to be bad).

thanks,

bonestonne