Dell e520 ICH8R Retail Snow Leopard Install

58 posts in this topic

I don't know if this thread is completely dead now or not, but I'm trying to use these instructions to install my retail version of Snow Leopard onto my Dell Dimension e520. I actually got it installed entirely, sort of. I can get into the operating system, but when I go to use the OSX86tools.app to install the Intel82566MM.kext and VoodooHDA.kext , it will only let me install the voodoo kext, and not the intel one. I'm not sure what to do from here. I can't connect to the web with the setup the way it is. I tossed my drive with Win7 back into the machine so i could check the forums and see if I could get some help.

If anyone has any tips, or maybe knows of a newer install that should work with a Dell e520, please let me know.

My basic specs are:

Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz

4GB of DDR2 RAM

I'd really love to have a fully functional Hackintosh!

I don't know if this thread is completely dead now or not, but I'm trying to use these instructions to install my retail version of Snow Leopard onto my Dell Dimension e520. I actually got it installed entirely, sort of. I can get into the operating system, but when I go to use the OSX86tools.app to install the Intel82566MM.kext and VoodooHDA.kext , it will only let me install the voodoo kext, and not the intel one. I'm not sure what to do from here. I can't connect to the web with the setup the way it is. I tossed my drive with Win7 back into the machine so i could check the forums and see if I could get some help.

If anyone has any tips, or maybe knows of a newer install that should work with a Dell e520, please let me know.

My basic specs are:

Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz

4GB of DDR2 RAM

I'd really love to have a fully functional Hackintosh!

Drag them into /System/Library/Extensions/ and run pfix. Google for pfix =)

Hey guys. Is it possible to dual boot with this setup if you have 2 separate disks. I've got my install up and running on a separate disk than Vista except every time I want to boot into Snow Leopard I have to use the boot disk. This would be fine and all except in order to get graphics working I need to run efi strings and that won't work if I have to boot from the boot disk every time.

Any ideas or suggestions. This guide was really simple and I really do not want to go through all the work of wmarsh's guide to get a dual boot going. Cheers

Hey guys. Is it possible to dual boot with this setup if you have 2 separate disks. I've got my install up and running on a separate disk than Vista except every time I want to boot into Snow Leopard I have to use the boot disk. This would be fine and all except in order to get graphics working I need to run efi strings and that won't work if I have to boot from the boot disk every time.

Any ideas or suggestions. This guide was really simple and I really do not want to go through all the work of wmarsh's guide to get a dual boot going. Cheers

Install chameleon on the snow leopard partition. Then set the boot priority so that your computer boots fromt hat drive. (So chameleon always loads)

You may have to re arrange the SATA ports that the hard disks are installed on. No big deal =)

• 3 months later...
I ask for the same questions than "ws2000":

Has anyone updated to 10.6.3? If so was there any issues? Advice?

Thank you

I am running 10.6.5 on my e520, flawlessly. with dsdt update from software update works fine.

cheers-

I am running 10.6.5 on my e520, flawlessly. with dsdt update from software update works fine.

cheers-

Thanks for your quick answer.! Please, could you tell me the way for to do that? It will be fantastic for me, actually I've installed 10.6.0 following the guide in the begining of this post but I don't know how to update by myself.

My specifics are:

Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz

Nvidia Geforce 7300LE

ICH8R

• 1 year later...

After loading boot cd, and I switch to the Snow Leopard DVD, hit enter, some text scrolled thru and screen goes black. I also tried rd=disc0 -v-x also same black screen.

My bios is v2.2, does my e520 need to be upgraded to bios v2.4 for this to work?

Also, I also tried with hdd installed with windows xp and also empty partition,, all the same black screen after load boot cd and SL DVD.

Any help and comments is appreciated. Thanks,