PC genius, Mac dumb. Lots of questions.

1gcrazy

4 posts in this topic

Ok guys so here I am. I finally made it.

I've been into PC's since I was a youngen. My first computer was a Pentium II. I learned from then on. Now I build, troubleshoot and sleep pc's. I know it very well. Of coarse I ALWAYS look for more to learn. I'm very comfortable with my pc's.

I just bought a G4 Powerbook Ti with broken hinges. It's working right now, everything is just great. It needs some case love and some new hinges but its a nice piece.

So far. I'm effing lost. I don't even know how to check my comp specs. I dont know how to connect to my wireless I have setup up. I feel like someone has broken all of my limbs and i'm typing with my nose...

First batch of questions:

I want the newest os that my little book that could will support. What is it? Leopard? 10.5??

Also, I think i have a pretty good idea but is my laptop intel based or not. I've been searching the wiki's and getting no where.

How do I go about fixing my hinges??? It looks like its attached under the metal screen case but everytime I try and get under there I create a small bend mark... what am I missing???

Is my Ti upgradable??? Faster Proc, I think my ram is limited to 1gb. Not entirely sure.

Is there a detailed wiki that tells me all about my book and all the newer and older ones?? I havn't found it if there is.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Woah, a lot of questions. I'm typing this on an iPhone, so my answers will have to be from off the top of my head. A lot of your hardware questions could probably be answered by System Profiler. Click the Apple logo at the top left corner and click 'About this Mac'. It will tell you your OS version, how much RAM you have, and the name of the partition the OS is running from. At the bottom of that box you cab click the 'More Info' button to launch the System Profiler. You are running a G4 PowerPC CPU and will not be able to run Snow Leopard because of that. You may be able to run Leopard 10.5, but I'm not certain, so you'll have to check the minimum requirements. I've never had the pleasure of disassembling an Apple laptop, so somebody with more experience should help you out with your hinges. Assuming your machine has an Airport(wifi) card built in, you should be able to click on the signal indicator, located at the top-right near the clock, to select a network to connect to, but you may need to turn the card on in the System Preferences. System Preferences should also be accessable from the Apple logo menu. Sorry these answers aren't well researched, as I'm not in front of my computer at the moment and it's tedious to do a lot of research on a phone.

Well thanks for the reply.

My airport card is on. I try and type in my password and it says its incorrect... lol Are you SUUURE little airport card cus I'm pretty sure the password is correct.

I've been trying like hell to get Leopard 10.5 on here. I can't do much without it. No Firefox, no torrents no nothing it seems like.

I've got a genuine copy of leopard I was handed down but its not on disk. I just ripped it and the disk is awol. So I either need to get a DL burner for my pc or use my 32 gig flash drive, which I can't seem to figure out. 6.6 gigs wont fit on a normal SL disc.

Check this out:

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/powerbook-g4-667-800-dvi.html

That might have some answers.

As for installing Leopard, I know it can be installed, but the installer won't like it. I read somewhere that Leopard won't install on a sub-1Ghz machine, which yours probably is. But there's a way around it: you use a newer Mac and boot your TiBook to Target Disk Mode and install through the other computer. I'm assured it will work (I haven't tried it because I don't need it on my TiBooks and I don't have enough licenses anyway).

But honestly I don't see why you'd need Leopard. I am using Tiger on mine, and it works just fine.

As for your wireless, I had the same problem. What I had to do was go in and fiddle with my router's wireless settings. I think it didn't work on PSK, and I had to change it to TKIP or something like that. If you need more details I can check again for you.