Snow Leopard on Dell Optiplex 745

olaeke

47 posts in this topic

Just to respond to your earlier question, the boot process isn't the fastest in the world. I haven't booted with -v to see what is causing the delay yet, to be honest I am just glad it is working!

Keith

Just to let you know my new firewire card worked with my m-audio firewire solo! Hurrah!

I purchased it on ebay, was only £25ish, just google: SIIG LP-N21011-S8 Firewire 3-port (Low Profile, PCI)

I can't tell you how happy I am that I have my hackintosh all working with SL and Logic 9, what a bargin!

K

It isn't working for me. It installs and I choose the correct options from above but after reboot it comes up to the apple screen and then shuts down. Putting it in verbose mode gives me some indication but it is only there for a few seconds before it shuts down. So far what I have been able to see is Failed to load kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily

I have tried useing the Intel Atom Kernal and no kernal but that just hangs at the apple screen.

Strange, have you tried booting in 32bit? "-arch=i386"?

K

It isn't working for me. It installs and I choose the correct options from above but after reboot it comes up to the apple screen and then shuts down. Putting it in verbose mode gives me some indication but it is only there for a few seconds before it shuts down. So far what I have been able to see is Failed to load kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily

I have tried useing the Intel Atom Kernal and no kernal but that just hangs at the apple screen.

I was able to see a little of what is happening:

/dev/rdisk0s1 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8 fsck failed! Kext loading now disabled. Kext unloading now disabled. Kext autounloading now disabled. Can`t get kextd port. syncing disks... Killing all processes

Sounds bad, what processor are you using? Did you set all the BIOS stuff?

I was able to see a little of what is happening:

/dev/rdisk0s1 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8 fsck failed! Kext loading now disabled. Kext unloading now disabled. Kext autounloading now disabled. Can`t get kextd port. syncing disks... Killing all processes

Have you got any PCI devices plugged in?

Normal mode is fine yeah.

It is a Optiplex 745? Is it P D or core2duo?

K

The only bios stuff that I saw to do was set the SATA mode to normal. It was already set that way. Did I miss something?

I would take out any PCI cards and use the onboard graphics, should be a GMA like mine.

You will need the legacy kernel though as shown in the screens.

K

Graphics and ethernet are PCI

it is an optiplex 745 tower Pentium D

I got it to boot by using the boot args -v maxmem=4096 arch=i386

I have 8GB. Is there any way that I can get it to boot with all 8GB?

Also, network is not working

I'll try with the onboard graphics and onboard network and see if that works better.

I would take out any PCI cards and use the onboard graphics, should be a GMA like mine.

You will need the legacy kernel though as shown in the screens.

K

Ah OK, sorry didn't realise you had 8GB, I am only using 4GB so kinds makes sense.

Memory is limited to 4GB on 32bit machines, I haven't seen it cause an error like this but as it's a hackintosh not that surprised!

It's odd that it won't boot into 64bit, I have to boot into 32bit to get my firewire card to work properly.

I'll try with the onboard graphics and onboard network and see if that works better.

Nice work

I found out that you can use a IDE->SATA adapter in these Hacks just fine. I had a decent size PATA drive but no IDE ports on the mobo, so I bought an adapter off egay for $3 inc postage form HK and it works mint.

Now to try CCC again :hysterical:

Just to let you know my new firewire card worked with my m-audio firewire solo! Hurrah!

I purchased it on ebay, was only £25ish, just google: SIIG LP-N21011-S8 Firewire 3-port (Low Profile, PCI)

I can't tell you how happy I am that I have my hackintosh all working with SL and Logic 9, what a bargin!

K

The onboard network is not supported on these you need an add in card I got the TP-Link TG-3269, they are cheap and work out of the box for most people, I had to install a fix for mine otherwise it didnt work 100% attached the file to this post.

I dunno about the GMA3000, as Im using a 8400GS. Kth did you get the onboard working OK?

Go in to your bios and disable everything, unplug everything from any ports and try and start from a base level.

Dont think 64bit plays very well with the legacy kernel, well Im sure it works but I think compatibility may be an issue.

Now, we need to sort this boot speed. its too slow, seems to pause around the DSMOS bit, although sometimes it arrives and still sits paused for a while. Thinking fakeSMC2,5 might have something to do with it...

Fix_for_TG_3269.zip

OK the slow boot has been fixed, for anyone that is interested "scififan68" was able to help me with the following advice:

In your picture i see the via sata kext loaded which is based off of the applenforceata kext which needs a patched ioatafamily kext or else the boot time is otherwise quite long just like yours. I wonder if that's the cause? Anyways download the patched 10.6.3 ioatafamily.kext here. and this kext is 32bit only.

Now I need to update to 10.6.4 :rolleyes:

Anyone tried the legacy 10.6.4 kernel on these machines with any luck? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221599

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have iDeneb 1.5.1(Leopard-10.5.7) running on a Dell OptiPlex 745 and I've been thinking about upgrading to 10.6. How did you create your DSDT.aml? I had trouble creating the DSDT from bios using DSDT-Patcher. So any pointer you have on getting a working DSDT would be appreciated. The machine I am using has a Core Two Duo processor. I have a PCI network card, since I couldn't get the onboard network card working.

Could you guys share your DSDT.aml and Kexts?

Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Okay, I know it's a bit of a necropost, but fate has once again made me try to Hackintosh this computer. One of my coworkers at my summer job wants me to hack one of these for some video editing, so I'm gonna need full QE/CI support.

I'd much rather like to use a vanilla installation, but if it's not possible on this hardware I understand. What kexts and notes regarding the installation would I need?

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, I know it's a bit of a necropost, but fate has once again made me try to Hackintosh this computer. One of my coworkers at my summer job wants me to hack one of these for some video editing, so I'm gonna need full QE/CI support.

I'd much rather like to use a vanilla installation, but if it's not possible on this hardware I understand. What kexts and notes regarding the installation would I need?

Here's a good place to start

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...ps#Optiplex_745

I'm working on getting Lion working on the Optiplex 745.

I will update with progress as i can. I have 10.6.7 currently.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I am struggling to get a bootable Snow Leopard on OptiPlex 745.

I have already installed Atkos L2 and it boots till a point when I see grey logo with a line through it in the middle.

On doing "-v" option, I see that the core issue is this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: CA0179A4-B09C-3B0E-84F7-8AB2EFB7DBDE
From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch<key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Still waiting for root device

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two questions:

1. How do I force Apple to always boot in "-v" mode. (Its been a struggle to insert that at each boot trapping the startup of the OS)

2. How do I resolve this above error ? What does it mean "boot-uuid-media" and then waiting for root device ? Will flags like "arch=i386" and "npci=0x2000" help here ?

I would like to understand the Mac OSX operating system rather than just trial and error so need someone knowlegeable who can explain me what exactly is going on.