• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

lo-fi

lo-fi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Will my update be much different? Do I still need to backup the kernel as I am not using a legacy one? What do you use to install new kexts?

Thanks.

Keith

Keith

well if you have a working vanilla install then you should be ok. Probably still need the 10.6.3 sleepenabler.kext just d/l 'kext utility' and all you do is drop the kext on top of the app and it will back up and install.
Use osxtools to back up your current kernel just in case you cant boot. Also its always a good idea to use CCC to clone your drive before making changes.

What can I say, you are a genius! I successfully installed SL last night using Hazard CD with all the settings you recommended (apart from the legacy hardware, as predicted). In only a few hours I was putting together some tunes in Logic 9 like a pro (NOT!).

I have two more things I want to achieve:

1.) Install my new firewire card and get m-audio firewire solo working (I am praying my new card works!)
2.) Install SL from scratch using retail disc and only required kexts

I will keep you posted as I will hopefully get my new card today.

I can't tell you how happy I am! Runs like a dream, nice and quick (helps with 4GB RAM). One question I did have was whether you are running the 64bit version?

Again thanks very much!

Keith

Genius? hahah you wouldn't say that if you saw my trial and error method in action. Persistent is more like it.
Im running in 32bit mode, its more stable on a legacy kernel from what I understand.
Im jealous of your vanilla capable kernel.

Actually I bought a TP-link gigabit ethernet card but cant get it to work yet, strange most people say it works out of the box. Which ethernet are you using? and do you have a 15-20 pause when booting?

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Is CCC better than using the built in backup tool?

well if you have a working vanilla install then you should be ok. Probably still need the 10.6.3 sleepenabler.kext just d/l 'kext utility' and all you do is drop the kext on top of the app and it will back up and install.
Use osxtools to back up your current kernel just in case you cant boot. Also its always a good idea to use CCC to clone your drive before making changes.

Well I tried the trial and error method but you must have a lot more patience than me!

I could probably try a 64bit OS when I go for a vanilla install, worth a go I think.

The issue I have it that I am using a PCI-E slot for my graphics and need the PCI slot for my firewire, therefore I need to buy a cheap USB wifi adapter. Don't suppose you have had any experience with them?

I think I will write a full guide to doing a vanilla install on an Optiplex 745 as my way of giving back to the community.

Just need my firewire card to work! And find a good small wireless USB stick.

K

Genius? hahah you wouldn't say that if you saw my trial and error method in action. Persistent is more like it.
Im running in 32bit mode, its more stable on a legacy kernel from what I understand.
Im jealous of your vanilla capable kernel.

Actually I bought a TP-link gigabit ethernet card but cant get it to work yet, strange most people say it works out of the box. Which ethernet are you using? and do you have a 15-20 pause when booting?

lo-fi

lo-fi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
CCC creates a exact bootable image (well it usually works, always has in the past I had a few problems this time)

What part of the world are you in? the Netgear wg111v2 (v3?) works (does get drop outs sometimes)

Is CCC better than using the built in backup tool?

Well I tried the trial and error method but you must have a lot more patience than me!

I could probably try a 64bit OS when I go for a vanilla install, worth a go I think.

The issue I have it that I am using a PCI-E slot for my graphics and need the PCI slot for my firewire, therefore I need to buy a cheap USB wifi adapter. Don't suppose you have had any experience with them?

I think I will write a full guide to doing a vanilla install on an Optiplex 745 as my way of giving back to the community.

Just need my firewire card to work! And find a good small wireless USB stick.

K

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Ok cool, might use that then!

I live in the UK, would that USB dongle be OK?

Thanks,

Keith

P.S Found a spare 3com 3CRUSB10075 around the office so going to try this tonight. I have read on the forum that someone has got it working so we will see if this applies to SL. I can see another late night coming!

K

lo-fi

lo-fi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
The Netgear USB does work well. But every so often I have to turn the wifi off and back on again and it stops working, so its not ideal. Search on this forum about the wg111v3 rather than the v2 maybe it is better? They are pretty cheap.

Ok cool, might use that then!

I live in the UK, would that USB dongle be OK?

Thanks,

Keith

P.S Found a spare 3com 3CRUSB10075 around the office so going to try this tonight. I have read on the forum that someone has got it working so we will see if this applies to SL. I can see another late night coming!

K

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Just to respond to your earlier question, the boot process isn't the fastest in the world. I haven't booted with -v to see what is causing the delay yet, to be honest I am just glad it is working!

Keith

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Just to let you know my new firewire card worked with my m-audio firewire solo! Hurrah!

I purchased it on ebay, was only £25ish, just google: SIIG LP-N21011-S8 Firewire 3-port (Low Profile, PCI)

I can't tell you how happy I am that I have my hackintosh all working with SL and Logic 9, what a bargin!

K

vclawson

vclawson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
It isn't working for me. It installs and I choose the correct options from above but after reboot it comes up to the apple screen and then shuts down. Putting it in verbose mode gives me some indication but it is only there for a few seconds before it shuts down. So far what I have been able to see is Failed to load kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily
I have tried useing the Intel Atom Kernal and no kernal but that just hangs at the apple screen.

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Strange, have you tried booting in 32bit? "-arch=i386"?

K

It isn't working for me. It installs and I choose the correct options from above but after reboot it comes up to the apple screen and then shuts down. Putting it in verbose mode gives me some indication but it is only there for a few seconds before it shuts down. So far what I have been able to see is Failed to load kext com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily
I have tried useing the Intel Atom Kernal and no kernal but that just hangs at the apple screen.

vclawson

vclawson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I was able to see a little of what is happening:

/dev/rdisk0s1 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8 fsck failed! Kext loading now disabled. Kext unloading now disabled. Kext autounloading now disabled. Can`t get kextd port. syncing disks... Killing all processes

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Sounds bad, what processor are you using? Did you set all the BIOS stuff?

I was able to see a little of what is happening:

/dev/rdisk0s1 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8 fsck failed! Kext loading now disabled. Kext unloading now disabled. Kext autounloading now disabled. Can`t get kextd port. syncing disks... Killing all processes

vclawson

vclawson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
The only bios stuff that I saw to do was set the SATA mode to normal. It was already set that way. Did I miss something?

Sounds bad, what processor are you using? Did you set all the BIOS stuff?

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Have you got any PCI devices plugged in?

Normal mode is fine yeah.

It is a Optiplex 745? Is it P D or core2duo?

K

The only bios stuff that I saw to do was set the SATA mode to normal. It was already set that way. Did I miss something?

vclawson

vclawson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Graphics and ethernet are PCI
it is an optiplex 745 tower Pentium D

Have you got any PCI devices plugged in?

Normal mode is fine yeah.

It is a Optiplex 745? Is it P D or core2duo?

K

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I would take out any PCI cards and use the onboard graphics, should be a GMA like mine.

You will need the legacy kernel though as shown in the screens.

K

Graphics and ethernet are PCI
it is an optiplex 745 tower Pentium D

vclawson

vclawson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I got it to boot by using the boot args -v maxmem=4096 arch=i386
I have 8GB. Is there any way that I can get it to boot with all 8GB?

Also, network is not working
I'll try with the onboard graphics and onboard network and see if that works better.

I would take out any PCI cards and use the onboard graphics, should be a GMA like mine.

You will need the legacy kernel though as shown in the screens.

K

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Ah OK, sorry didn't realise you had 8GB, I am only using 4GB so kinds makes sense.

Memory is limited to 4GB on 32bit machines, I haven't seen it cause an error like this but as it's a hackintosh not that surprised!

It's odd that it won't boot into 64bit, I have to boot into 32bit to get my firewire card to work properly.

I'll try with the onboard graphics and onboard network and see if that works better.

Panzo69

Panzo69

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Any idea if this can and will work on an optiplex gx270?

kth

kth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
No idea mate, do you have hardware info?

K

lo-fi

lo-fi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Nice work

I found out that you can use a IDE->SATA adapter in these Hacks just fine. I had a decent size PATA drive but no IDE ports on the mobo, so I bought an adapter off egay for $3 inc postage form HK and it works mint.

Now to try CCC again :hysterical:

Just to let you know my new firewire card worked with my m-audio firewire solo! Hurrah!

I purchased it on ebay, was only £25ish, just google: SIIG LP-N21011-S8 Firewire 3-port (Low Profile, PCI)

I can't tell you how happy I am that I have my hackintosh all working with SL and Logic 9, what a bargin!

K

The onboard network is not supported on these you need an add in card I got the TP-Link TG-3269, they are cheap and work out of the box for most people, I had to install a fix for mine otherwise it didnt work 100% attached the file to this post.

I dunno about the GMA3000, as Im using a 8400GS. Kth did you get the onboard working OK?

Go in to your bios and disable everything, unplug everything from any ports and try and start from a base level.
Dont think 64bit plays very well with the legacy kernel, well Im sure it works but I think compatibility may be an issue.

Now, we need to sort this boot speed. its too slow, seems to pause around the DSMOS bit, although sometimes it arrives and still sits paused for a while. Thinking fakeSMC2,5 might have something to do with it...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy