Snow Leopard on Dell Optiplex 745

olaeke

47 posts in this topic

Hi,

Has anyone successfully installed Snow Leopard on an Optiplex 745?

I have done some very basic tries with boot132/SL Boot132 cd's and a Vanilla SL Install DVD, but it always stops at "waiting for root device".

It uses a Intel Q965 (ICH8) Express Chipset and a Core 2 Duo processor. (I have 10.5.7 installed on it atm)

Any help appreciated!

actually, i've been working on it for a few days now. I've successfully managed to get SL running on my Optiplex 745. I currently do not have it recognizing my nvidia 8400 GS or sound (not tried yet).

There are a few key things. First, I am running bios 2.6.2 (i think 2.6.3 is out, but the only changes are usb remote management). Next, the built in NIC will not work, i'm using an older PCI Realtec 8139 chipset.

I installed Snow to a SATA drive using another leopard install i have running in a VM, and applied the Chameleon 2 rc3 bootloader to that drive (see instructions in the Chameleon download). I did this by hand and not using a GUI.

In the Extra/Extensions you will need IOATAFamily.kext to get past the "waiting for root device" (at least that was the cause for me). You will also need fakesmc.kext. I'm also using Disabler.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and the 64bit version of IONetworkingFamily.kext (for my NIC).

Then, plug that drive into your Optiplex. Goto setup and make sure you have sata set to legacy. I also turned off my floppy and onboard nic. Not sure if that's necessary.

You should be able to boot now.

This next bit of info is very important.... you need to create a dsdt.aml file and modify it, the optoplex 745 suffers from the bios reset. It took me hours, and a new cmos battery to realize this. There are links out there how to fix, don't have them handy. Search for bios reset and RTC and SL. If you don't modify, you will have to enter your bios settings everytime and change sata to legacy.

Now, anyone want to help me figure out my NVIDIA card?

Sorry for beeing stupid, but the "extras/extensions" folder you are talking about, is it "/Library/Extensions/" you are talking about or am I missing something?

Best regards

actually, i've been working on it for a few days now. I've successfully managed to get SL running on my Optiplex 745. I currently do not have it recognizing my nvidia 8400 GS or sound (not tried yet).

There are a few key things. First, I am running bios 2.6.2 (i think 2.6.3 is out, but the only changes are usb remote management). Next, the built in NIC will not work, i'm using an older PCI Realtec 8139 chipset.

I installed Snow to a SATA drive using another leopard install i have running in a VM, and applied the Chameleon 2 rc3 bootloader to that drive (see instructions in the Chameleon download). I did this by hand and not using a GUI.

In the Extra/Extensions you will need IOATAFamily.kext to get past the "waiting for root device" (at least that was the cause for me). You will also need fakesmc.kext. I'm also using Disabler.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext and the 64bit version of IONetworkingFamily.kext (for my NIC).

Then, plug that drive into your Optiplex. Goto setup and make sure you have sata set to legacy. I also turned off my floppy and onboard nic. Not sure if that's necessary.

You should be able to boot now.

This next bit of info is very important.... you need to create a dsdt.aml file and modify it, the optoplex 745 suffers from the bios reset. It took me hours, and a new cmos battery to realize this. There are links out there how to fix, don't have them handy. Search for bios reset and RTC and SL. If you don't modify, you will have to enter your bios settings everytime and change sata to legacy.

Now, anyone want to help me figure out my NVIDIA card?

Thanks for your time and help!!

But I still get "Waiting on root device" though... Chameleon was installed correctly and I placed the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions/:

Disabled.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

I found and downloaded the IOATAFamily.kext from a thread here at insanelymac.com, I searched for IOATAFamily +ICH8 +snow.

I think that should be the correct one since the optiplex 745 uses the ICH8.

it's the directory that Chameleon uses. After you install CR3 just add the folder Extra to your root, and inside it you can add the Extensions folder

you shouldn't have to worry about that file until after the install is complete. I also no longer have it. I gave up with SL on the optiplex because i couldn't get my video working. Instead I've now got a nice clean copy running in a VM. It's actually pretty quick with my hardware.

That being said, did you make sure you changed the bios settings to legacy? Try just using the IOATA kext during install, i didn't add the others until later. You should make sure that it's also getting loaded by Chaemelon. add the -v Wait=y flags during bootup and it will show you what kexts are being loaded from the "extras" folder.

• 5 months later...
you shouldn't have to worry about that file until after the install is complete. I also no longer have it. I gave up with SL on the optiplex because i couldn't get my video working. Instead I've now got a nice clean copy running in a VM. It's actually pretty quick with my hardware.

That being said, did you make sure you changed the bios settings to legacy? Try just using the IOATA kext during install, i didn't add the others until later. You should make sure that it's also getting loaded by Chaemelon. add the -v Wait=y flags during bootup and it will show you what kexts are being loaded from the "extras" folder.

I know this is an old thread but.... just wanted to report that I have SL running well on a dell 745.

The NIC and video were solved by using a USB Lan ($5) and a PCIe nVidia 8400GS. ($40) To the person who couldnt get their video card recognised its actually pretty simple just install EFIstudio and select the card from the drop down and then click the button to write it, done.

You will need a modified kernal if you have the PentiumD (which I do.)

The easiest way I found to install was to d/l the hazard install disc, cold boot and install from that disc to a freshly formatted sata drive. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find the correct selections of Kexts & Kernel (probably re-installed about 10 times! For some reason the CCC cloner cant produce a bootable copy of my drive, strange)

If anyone wants to know what they were just ask and I'll post the screen caps of my selections.

Its running really well now, although its quite slow to boot, it seems to pause and be waiting for something to load for a while, so I still need to solve that. Otherwise fast and stable.

I know this is an old thread but.... just wanted to report that I have SL running well on a dell 745.

The NIC and video were solved by using a USB Lan ($5) and a PCIe nVidia 8400GS. ($40) To the person who couldnt get their video card recognised its actually pretty simple just install EFIstudio and select the card from the drop down and then click the button to write it, done.

The easiest way I found to install was to d/l the hazard install disc, cold boot and install from that disc to a freshly formatted sata drive. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find the correct selections of Kexts & Kernel (probably re-installed about 10 times! For some reason the CCC cloner cant produce a bootable copy of my drive, strange)

If anyone wants to know what they were just ask and I'll post the screen caps of my selections.

Its running really well now, although its quite slow to boot, it seems to pause and be waiting for something to load for a while, so I still need to solve that. Otherwise fast and stable.

Excellent! I have sent you a PM but I am happy to post my results on the forum. Thanks!

I Just sent you a PM as well. Please sent me you step by step process or post it to this thread.

Thanks

Hi,

Please can you send me the options you set when installing, I get a Kernel Panic every time. I have installed about five times and losing the will to live!

Thanks in advance,

K

Hi,

I've successfully installed Mac OS Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Dell Optiplex 745. Only the microphone and integrated lan card doesn't work. I used external lan card. Now I searching a way to make the microphone work. I used AzaliaAudio.kext and the sleep kernel.

Everything else works pretty fine.

Any help with the microphone would be appreciated.

Hi

Sorry for the slow reply.

I will try to find some time tonight to post the Kext selections.

As far as Audio goes Im not using the onboard I have a USB audio card with digital out etc.

Lo.

OK here is the update

What I did:

Turn off everything in the Bios that you dont need for booting.

Set Sata mode = Normal

Insert Hazard ISO and boot to CD.

Using Disc utility from the instal menu Format Sata HDD (I used MBR)

Click through selecting your freshly formatted drive until you get to the customize options now select the following options no more, no less:

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

Once installed, re-boot and remove the DVD from Drive, cross your fingers.

As mentioned Im using an nvidia 8400GS (pcie) once you have booted in to SL then simply d/l and install EFIstudio you can then select your card from the dropdown list and write it to the plist or whatever its called, bang, full graphics support.

Im no expert on this stuff but the instructions I provided above worked well for me.

although I presume I don't need the legacy kernel as I do actually have a core2duo? That is why I think I should be able to run Vanilla version you see.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on!

Well I got: Intel® Pentium® D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x2MB L2 cache. This CPU is not supported. Maybe your CPU is supported but I cant confirm. If you want to try then as you say just dont select the legacy kernel.

On a side note I did a fresh instal tonight with a GUID partition and efi 10.5 and all the other kext the same as the screen shot, its works the same, so if you prefer that setup then go for it.

Yeah I want to do a fresh install, by the way what do you mean by efi 10.5? Apologies for my ignorance but I have only just started with this hackintosh stuff so slowly getting my head around it!

I presume I will need to use a bootloader with the kext you have identified (except legacy one). Although before this I might try using your method and installer before I do a fresh install!

Thanks again for all your help, really is appreciated!

K

Well I got: Intel® Pentium® D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x2MB L2 cache. This CPU is not supported. Maybe your CPU is supported but I cant confirm. If you want to try then as you say just dont select the legacy kernel.

On a side note I did a fresh instal tonight with a GUID partition and efi 10.5 and all the other kext the same as the screen shot, its works the same, so if you prefer that setup then go for it.

PC EFI10.5 [Edit] is what allows a machine close to Mac specs run like a mac., didnt make a lot of difference so just choose the 10.5 version (you can see what I mean in the screenshots.

Install to a different HD if you can that way you can always go back to you leopard install.

Use Chameleon as the bootloader.

Worth noting my dell745 is the desktop form factor not the tower or mini one, that may make a difference to the install as they have different onboard stufff ie mine has no IDE ports only SATA.

Yeah I want to do a fresh install, by the way what do you mean by efi 10.5? Apologies for my ignorance but I have only just started with this hackintosh stuff so slowly getting my head around it!

I presume I will need to use a bootloader with the kext you have identified (except legacy one). Although before this I might try using your method and installer before I do a fresh install!

Thanks again for all your help, really is appreciated!

K

Cool, mine is the same model just slightly higher spec.

I have a spare HDD but from what I can see there is only enough power for one drive. I also think there is only one SATA connection for the HDD and one for the CDROM.

I am going to try my new firewire card, if that works ok on leopard I will leave that installation alone as it is working very well. Then I will use my other hard drive for a fresh SL install and see if I can get that working!

All good fun!

PC EFI10.5 is the bootloader, didnt make a lot of difference so just choose the 10.5 version (you can see what I mean in the screenshots.

Install to a different HD if you can that way you can always go back to you leopard install.

Worth noting my dell745 is the desktop form factor not the tower or mini one, that may make a difference to the install as they have different onboard stufff ie mine has no IDE ports only SATA.

Sorry to be a pain, I downloaded the bootloader but it just gives me a file called "boot" I presume I need to add this to Chameleon or something to use it?

K

PC EFI10.5 is the bootloader, didnt make a lot of difference so just choose the 10.5 version (you can see what I mean in the screenshots.

OK, sorry my comments would have been confusing (I re-edited them). You need to download chameleon it is the bootloader. From what I can work out PCEFI is the thing that makes hardware that is close to mac specs work like real mac stuff.

Good luck with the install, if you are using the retail disk I recommend 'myHack' as it will do most of the hard things and boot loader for you.

Cool, mine is the same model just slightly higher spec.

I have a spare HDD but from what I can see there is only enough power for one drive. I also think there is only one SATA connection for the HDD and one for the CDROM.

I am going to try my new firewire card, if that works ok on leopard I will leave that installation alone as it is working very well. Then I will use my other hard drive for a fresh SL install and see if I can get that working!

All good fun!

Sorry to be a pain, I downloaded the bootloader but it just gives me a file called "boot" I presume I need to add this to Chameleon or something to use it?

K

Upgraded it to 10.6.3 last night.

Done.

What can I say, you are a genius! I successfully installed SL last night using Hazard CD with all the settings you recommended (apart from the legacy hardware, as predicted). In only a few hours I was putting together some tunes in Logic 9 like a pro (NOT!).

I have two more things I want to achieve:

1.) Install my new firewire card and get m-audio firewire solo working (I am praying my new card works!)

2.) Install SL from scratch using retail disc and only required kexts

I will keep you posted as I will hopefully get my new card today.

I can't tell you how happy I am! Runs like a dream, nice and quick (helps with 4GB RAM). One question I did have was whether you are running the 64bit version?

Again thanks very much!

Keith

Will my update be much different? Do I still need to backup the kernel as I am not using a legacy one? What do you use to install new kexts?

Thanks.

Keith

Keith

OK, sorry my comments would have been confusing (I re-edited them). You need to download chameleon it is the bootloader. From what I can work out PCEFI is the thing that makes hardware that is close to mac specs work like real mac stuff.

Good luck with the install, if you are using the retail disk I recommend 'myHack' as it will do most of the hard things and boot loader for you.

Upgraded it to 10.6.3 last night.

Done.

Will my update be much different? Do I still need to backup the kernel as I am not using a legacy one? What do you use to install new kexts?

Thanks.

Keith

Keith

well if you have a working vanilla install then you should be ok. Probably still need the 10.6.3 sleepenabler.kext just d/l 'kext utility' and all you do is drop the kext on top of the app and it will back up and install.

Use osxtools to back up your current kernel just in case you cant boot. Also its always a good idea to use CCC to clone your drive before making changes.

What can I say, you are a genius! I successfully installed SL last night using Hazard CD with all the settings you recommended (apart from the legacy hardware, as predicted). In only a few hours I was putting together some tunes in Logic 9 like a pro (NOT!).

I have two more things I want to achieve:

1.) Install my new firewire card and get m-audio firewire solo working (I am praying my new card works!)

2.) Install SL from scratch using retail disc and only required kexts

I will keep you posted as I will hopefully get my new card today.

I can't tell you how happy I am! Runs like a dream, nice and quick (helps with 4GB RAM). One question I did have was whether you are running the 64bit version?

Again thanks very much!

Keith

Genius? hahah you wouldn't say that if you saw my trial and error method in action. Persistent is more like it.

Im running in 32bit mode, its more stable on a legacy kernel from what I understand.

Im jealous of your vanilla capable kernel.

Actually I bought a TP-link gigabit ethernet card but cant get it to work yet, strange most people say it works out of the box. Which ethernet are you using? and do you have a 15-20 pause when booting?

Is CCC better than using the built in backup tool?

well if you have a working vanilla install then you should be ok. Probably still need the 10.6.3 sleepenabler.kext just d/l 'kext utility' and all you do is drop the kext on top of the app and it will back up and install.

Use osxtools to back up your current kernel just in case you cant boot. Also its always a good idea to use CCC to clone your drive before making changes.

Well I tried the trial and error method but you must have a lot more patience than me!

I could probably try a 64bit OS when I go for a vanilla install, worth a go I think.

The issue I have it that I am using a PCI-E slot for my graphics and need the PCI slot for my firewire, therefore I need to buy a cheap USB wifi adapter. Don't suppose you have had any experience with them?

I think I will write a full guide to doing a vanilla install on an Optiplex 745 as my way of giving back to the community.

Just need my firewire card to work! And find a good small wireless USB stick.

K

Genius? hahah you wouldn't say that if you saw my trial and error method in action. Persistent is more like it.

Im running in 32bit mode, its more stable on a legacy kernel from what I understand.

Im jealous of your vanilla capable kernel.

Actually I bought a TP-link gigabit ethernet card but cant get it to work yet, strange most people say it works out of the box. Which ethernet are you using? and do you have a 15-20 pause when booting?

CCC creates a exact bootable image (well it usually works, always has in the past I had a few problems this time)

What part of the world are you in? the Netgear wg111v2 (v3?) works (does get drop outs sometimes)

Is CCC better than using the built in backup tool?

Well I tried the trial and error method but you must have a lot more patience than me!

I could probably try a 64bit OS when I go for a vanilla install, worth a go I think.

The issue I have it that I am using a PCI-E slot for my graphics and need the PCI slot for my firewire, therefore I need to buy a cheap USB wifi adapter. Don't suppose you have had any experience with them?

I think I will write a full guide to doing a vanilla install on an Optiplex 745 as my way of giving back to the community.

Just need my firewire card to work! And find a good small wireless USB stick.

K

Ok cool, might use that then!

I live in the UK, would that USB dongle be OK?

Thanks,

Keith

P.S Found a spare 3com 3CRUSB10075 around the office so going to try this tonight. I have read on the forum that someone has got it working so we will see if this applies to SL. I can see another late night coming!

K

The Netgear USB does work well. But every so often I have to turn the wifi off and back on again and it stops working, so its not ideal. Search on this forum about the wg111v3 rather than the v2 maybe it is better? They are pretty cheap.

Ok cool, might use that then!

I live in the UK, would that USB dongle be OK?

Thanks,

Keith

P.S Found a spare 3com 3CRUSB10075 around the office so going to try this tonight. I have read on the forum that someone has got it working so we will see if this applies to SL. I can see another late night coming!

K