Issue with GMA965 (X3100?)

Psygoat

4 posts in this topic

I installed Leo (10.5.4) using a retail disk along with a custom loader disk, made for my machine (dell xps m1330.) when booting into the installer, the native resolution of 1280x800 was acheived, however, when using the same loader to load my installed OS, no kext is loaded for the card and i am stuck in 1024x768. I've heard things about removing the default kext and installing natit, however searching in /system/library/extensions there is no kext that resembles the name of my card, and system profiler shows "no kext loaded." Is there anyone who has had experience with this card that they wish to share with me? Thanks in advance.

If you have the GMA965 / X3100 video, you'll need the AppleIntelGMA3100 kext's. If you don't have them, you can grab copies from various threads in this forum. Or, if you're running 10.5.4, simply update your OSX. 10.5.5 (IIRC) and newer have great native support for X3100. Let us know if you run into any issues.

You can get the kext from your DVD.

1. Open up terminal

2. Change to the Volumes folder

"cd /Volumes"

3. List the contents so you can find the name of the DVD

"ls"

4. cd to your DVD

"cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Installer/" or whatever your DVD is called

5. cd to the System/Library folder within the DVD

"cd System/Library/"

6. Create a folder on your desktop or where ever you want. The kexts will be extracted here.

"mkdir ~/Desktop/dvd_kexts"

7. Extract the kexts to that folder.

"mkextunpack -d ~/Desktop/dvd_kexts Extensions.mkext"

8. Now exit the terminal and open up that folder you created in Finder.

9. Find "AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext" and "AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext" and install them using kext helper or whatever program you like to install kexts with.

Hope this works for you.