HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
899 replies to this topic

poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

First of all, i know that this isn’t the support thread but since no one there can answer my question i’m forced to do it here . I just want to know if the gpu kext supports opencl (yes CL not GL) (i know that the Linux driver does and i suppose that the windows doesn’t stay behind ) if it does you’ll have another person helping here (don’t know a lot about osx but i do about pc hardware, linux, c++, and more) Thanks

Great question. We can't know because the OpenCL test:

http://www.macupdate...pencl-benchmark

Gives me a CPU error every time. The test seems to hate the Atom, so we can't know if the GPU has working OpenCL.

I bet it does though if we get past the CPU part of the test (or a different test) because my 9400GT in my desktop hackintosh does....

Xarm

Xarm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Gives me a CPU error every time. The test seems to hate the Atom, so we can't know if the GPU has working OpenCL.

I bet it does though if we get past the CPU part of the test (or a different test) because my 9400GT in my desktop hackintosh does....

Thanks for the info...
i don see any reason of why the GeForce 9400M in the ion platform wouldn't support opencl if the 9400GT does
it must be because of the atom cpu...
im gonna do some research on this...

thanks again

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
I'm also wondering whether the Ion chipset on our Mini MacBooks does work at optimum levels or not :(
I'm no gamer and so my advance apologies for sounding ignorant with my question: are games with graphics requirement like that of SIMS 2, for ex, supposed to work smoothly on the Ion?

Also, I'm not sure whether I should be posting this here, but I'm wondering whether the Mini 210's keyboard could possibly work on the Mini 311? It looks interestingly chiclet enough à la MacBook, imo.

mckernanlive

mckernanlive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
@lemaurien

The 210's keyboard will most likely not work. The screen size is different, so the whole netbook's size is different. Therefore, there is a good chance that the keyboard is a different size.
(BTW, this is more of a support thread question IMHO)

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Those binaries are compiled for x64 procs only. x64 is not an OpenCL requirement however since those binaries are run from console am not surprised that they would be compiled for only one architecture.

On a side note, can anyone else take over this project release management? I will upload the archives that I use to create the packages and boot media from and add folks seriously interested in taking this on to the Google Code project.

I also use the same build methods for my Intel D975XBX2 installation and will continue working within the community however I just can't allocate the time to the HP Mini 311 right now.

AVT

AVT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
FYI: There is a typo on the Google Code page:

"Wireless WAN" is listed as "Vanilla"

and

"Network" is listed as "Unsupported"

mckernanlive

mckernanlive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Those binaries are compiled for x64 procs only. x64 is not an OpenCL requirement however since those binaries are run from console am not surprised that they would be compiled for only one architecture.

On a side note, can anyone else take over this project release management? I will upload the archives that I use to create the packages and boot media from and add folks seriously interested in taking this on to the Google Code project.

I also use the same build methods for my Intel D975XBX2 installation and will continue working within the community however I just can't allocate the time to the HP Mini 311 right now.

I can help with management of the project, I have still not gotten a Mini 311 (hopefully in the next week or 2).
I'm not a programmer by any means, but I can help manage the project.
Also, if there is interest I have hosting and we can continue these threads elsewhere. We are limited as to what we can do / not do (deleting posts, etc.)

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
BIOS F14 is out with a new feature for our trackpad... might be interesting to try VoodooPS2 again after updating, to see if it's supported now !

As I didn't get any DMI dump I'm stuck to F04.

You can find Icelord's version here

cgdavilab

cgdavilab

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I can help with management of the project, I have still not gotten a Mini 311 (hopefully in the next week or 2).
I'm not a programmer by any means, but I can help manage the project.
Also, if there is interest I have hosting and we can continue these threads elsewhere. We are limited as to what we can do / not do (deleting posts, etc.)

Hey mckernanlive, I totally understand your eagerness to manage this amazing project. Is so difficult to read all the posts and pointless if there is a current fix or determination on issues. Also the people with the knowledge will not get so mad every time a newbie asks a question because there will be appropriate documentation.

Here is my attempt: simple, straight forward, I created mine a few days ago, and I might keep it open if there is no proper management on the official project.: http://code.google.com/p/hpmini311/

I found this one yesterday, and it seems its been running for over a month.: http://code.google.com/p/hpm311dp/

mckernanlive

mckernanlive

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
@cgdavilab

A while back, Proto asked if anyone had external hosting. And you're bang on for why it would be good. Any support requests in non-support threads can just get nuked by moderators, instead of flamed by the seasoned coders that are keeping this alive. I'd suggest that we just get proto's Google Code project, instead of making a new one.

I've got PHP/MySQL hosting so I can run something like phpBB on my server.

@ The Community

If you are interested in this, let me know!

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I compared F14 and F4 (which I guess still the same with HF4) DSDT vanilla and there are some differences.
I am going to patch the F14 with all the changes in HF4 DSDT and report back later on.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

@cgdavilab

A while back, Proto asked if anyone had external hosting. And you're bang on for why it would be good. Any support requests in non-support threads can just get nuked by moderators, instead of flamed by the seasoned coders that are keeping this alive. I'd suggest that we just get proto's Google Code project, instead of making a new one.

I've got PHP/MySQL hosting so I can run something like phpBB on my server.

@ The Community

If you are interested in this, let me know!

Folks interested (and that have been posting regularly so we know you are serious) please let me know if you will be able to make contributions to the Google Code project and I will add you to it.

Life has gotten in the way for the time being but I would love to see this progress as much as everyone else.

I compared F14 and F4 (which I guess still the same with HF4) DSDT vanilla and there are some differences.
I am going to patch the F14 with all the changes in HF4 DSDT and report back later on.

DSDTSE has a useful feature for just that... You may find small very subtle to nearly complete patches being changed in the modded F04 DSDT. The MacBook 6,1 DSDT was used to borrow code from where it was believed we could gain something from it.

BIOS F14 is out with a new feature for our trackpad... might be interesting to try VoodooPS2 again after updating, to see if it's supported now !

As I didn't get any DMI dump I'm stuck to F04.

You can find Icelord's version here

I have tried to get you the DMI dump many times however booting with freedos yielded nothing but a lockup on execution.

I am game for creating a new DOS 6.22 USB stick emulating a floppy (downloaded from my TechNet subscription) to get this for you... I'll keep you posted on how that works out.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
the proto, do you have a list of what have been added or removed from vanilla DSDT?

i am not an expert in DSDT so i just applied the delta between vanilla F4 and HF4 into vanilla F14.

attached is the patched and vanilla DSDTs.
so far there is no issue, one thing i noticed, the boot time is < 1 minutes, where before it took 1,5 minutes to complete.

Attached Files

zikman

zikman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Sound through HDMI works with VoodooHda........
The audio of movies is excellent....however the sounds of the OS is horrible with noise....:wacko:

knauhsty

knauhsty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hey everybody, I recently updated my mini 311 to SL and bought an ASUS WL-167g USB wireless card as the wifi alternative since its clearly stated that stock wifi does not work. However, it constantly gives me kernel panics and I was wondering if I can use the dell wireless 1505 card that I have in my dell xps m1330 to either replace or add along side the stock wifi.

Thanks - and if this isn't the place to post this type of a question, I'm very sorry.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
Hey guys, thought I'd post this here - may be of interest to us:
Theory on Kernel Panics on Snow Leopard.

Memory leak - every growing kernel_task bloat and VoodooPower involved causing kernel panics.

nerdyperdy

nerdyperdy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I have been to the support thread and its closed, and it directed me here. So here it goes.

I have had SL 10.6.2 installed on my mini with great success, all except wifi. I knew wifi wouldnt work but I had tethering, so I really wasent woried about it. I ordered a Broadcom 4311 card as seeing it was supported in SL but I have to do something to the bios whitelist...is that true..or can I just tape pin 20?

My questions are:

Is the Broadcom 4311 card supported.

Is the Intel 4965 AGN card supported

Do I have to flash a modded bios or can I tape pin 20.

If I have to tape pin 20, what is the easiest way to do it?

I would appreciate the help and if this is the wrong section, i do apologize, but the support thread directed me here.

~Nerd

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
^On WiFi card model and Snow Leo compatibility, I wouldn't know every Snow Leo compatible wifi card that exists. What I'd do to give you an answer is to google too. So I'll just let you do that on your own :rolleyes: Hint: if it works on a real Mac running Snow Leo, then it should be compatible.

I've also posted this at the support thread (correct me people, if this is wrong info):

1) Bios flashing - is done to unlock/dewhitelist the half-height PCI slot. The extra PCI slot which is full-height is not locked (for WiFi cards, as far as I know)
2) Pin 20 taping - is done to by-pass the "HP softswitch", a feature for toggling PCI cards Off/On that is Windows-centric and which causes some issues in Mac OS X (sometimes the card is switched off and of course you can't switch it back in OS X)

And also, if you read the support thread closely, it's also mentioned there that you can either "use nail polish or regular tape cut to size" so that the metal/copper pin on the card does not come in contact to the slots' corresponding pin on your Mini 311. :D

P.S. The Support Thread is not closed :)

andnet

andnet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Good news for overclockers!!! New hacked BIOS F14 in Mac Os work fine(Atom-2100-2500Mhz) but may be need patch DSDT? Profi what do you think? And look on speedstep CPU-x not work and iStat t=33-38
Speedstep and CPU-x work on 2040Mhz fine)))

fredoun

fredoun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Can you please explain me how to put this hack please. The links on myhpmini.com are dead.

Thx in advance !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy