HP Mini 311 Darwin Project Thread (Part II - CURRENT)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
899 replies to this topic

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I know... It's crazy as it seems that I am the only one having stability issues around here as many folks are running files I am posting without issue. Am am starting to get concerned that my hardware may be at fault... Not sure but starting to get concerned about this situation. It has wasted damn near 2 weeks of my evenings now and no one else is having these issues.

EDIT: Is the file attached already to a post?

Sorry I was away AFK
blah it's 18 mb too big for the post. PM email and i'll send you the link to idisk.

EDIT: here this is easier- http://rapidshare.co...4/root.zip.html

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Sorry I was away AFK
blah it's 18 mb too big for the post. PM email and i'll send you the link to idisk.

Thanks, will try some things, take care.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

If you look at the system profiler page it likely shows:

xx.xx.xx - internal

Indicating that you are not using the ROM at all., many are confused with that one as we forgot to specify the VideoROM attribute wit the path to it. Once you do make the connection it is bad news. However PC EFI is doing a great job by itself.

EDIT: Can anyone see if http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ can actually dump our NVIDIA ROM? I believe netkas said GPU-ZS dumps roms in one of his replies and I would like to validate that but don't have Windows on this device.

I really want access to our actual ROM. Anyone, please?

I tried the gpuzs app on my VM of windows and it reads the hardware info but nothing for opening a rom file. I don't have my spare drive that;s got windows on it.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Sorry I was away AFK

I have just determined that the specific build of the PS2 driver I was using did 2 things. Allowed me to wake the system up with the press of a key and caused me all the crashing issues that I have been having an no one else has been experiencing.

I have now begun the unt for the perfect build. I do not like the netbookinstaller release floating around so I will keep looking.

Thanks Ego for taking the time to lend a hand, and I will upload an updated archive with a new PS2 driver after thorough testing.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

I have just determined that the specific build of the PS2 driver I was using did 2 things. Allowed me to wake the system up with the press of a key and caused me all the crashing issues that I have been having an no one else has been experiencing.

I have now begun the unt for the perfect build. I do not like the netbookinstaller release floating around so I will keep looking.

Thanks Ego for taking the time to lend a hand, and I will upload an updated archive with a new PS2 driver after thorough testing.

Hey Proto,

We just purchased a new house (today) and as such have been a little distracted over the past couple of days (first house and a little daunting)

Just wanted to drop you a quick line and congratulate you on your recent work around Video and Stability. I'm running your recent build and loving the stability and HDMI.

Hope all is well with you,

Talk soon,

Superviza

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

No worries, happy to help. This new PS2 controller does it have "options"?
thx

I found this little bit of info on the PC-EFI 10.4 graphics enabler's ability to read the bios files.

You can tell GraphicsEnabler(GE) to use custom version of bios(for overcloking/changing fan
speed/ etc). Use option - useatirom, and GE will look for bios files in /Extra folder (from root
and boot partitions, Extra from root partition has more priority). Place bios files to Extra folder
and rename them to this format – ati_XXXX_YYYY.rom, where XXXX – devid, and YYYY –
vendor-id, for example rom file for 4850 should be named – ati_9442_1002.rom.

perhaps this is the reason our NVIDIA.ROM is being misread in system profiler/not loading?
does anyone know the devid and vendor-id?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

No worries, happy to help. This new PS2 controller does it have "options"?
thx

I found this little bit of info on the PC-EFI 10.4 graphics enabler's ability to read the bios files.

You can tell GraphicsEnabler(GE) to use custom version of bios(for overcloking/changing fan
speed/ etc). Use option - useatirom, and GE will look for bios files in /Extra folder (from root
and boot partitions, Extra from root partition has more priority). Place bios files to Extra folder
and rename them to this format ��" ati_XXXX_YYYY.rom, where XXXX ��" devid, and YYYY ��"
vendor-id, for example rom file for 4850 should be named ��" ati_9442_1002.rom.

perhaps this is the reason our NVIDIA.ROM is being misread in system profiler/not loading?
does anyone know the devid and vendor-id?

For NVIDIA cards you can use the VideoROM attribute in the boot plist however the ROM provided is no good for our devices. That is alright as amazingly PC EFI 10.5 does a perfect job as is picking up info for the card without needing to look at a ROM.

All that is left is sound and the trackpad options to have a fully functional system.

I have been working on polishing rough corners here and there and I think we made some great progress.

Looking forward to seeing MowgliBook's hard work on sound.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Has anyone noticed any issues with speed stepping? I just noticed my fan's been running a lot and the system is just idol. But the 311 is not hot.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
Unfortunately sound is on hold for a while, I have to deal with more important stuff (might be linked anyway)

1st thing : nvnet or NVethernet (the vanilla kext for neytwork) is not good. Does not work after sleep, it must be looking for EFI signal or smthg. use this instead

2nd : I'm not lucky with my bluetooth, and it's really disappointing because of tethering of course... my Mighty Mouse works though.

3rd : that BIOS is real {censored} in my opinion, too young, not really OS X friendly... I hope updateS will come soon.
I might start from the beginning and do the DSDT hack again myself to spot issues and find workaround...

4th : Stability ; not quite that isn't it? I mean if you wait for the KP you might not experience it, but if you look for it... Try to put you netbook to sleep, then wakeup, go to System Profiler, Soft > Extension... and Boom :D
It's just an example, seems we are not far away from the right stable thing, but we still have to work at it.

5th : CPU recognition. What the {censored} doesn't it work ! it should be working but does not.
ioreg -l | grep "cpu-type"
	| | |   "cpu-type" = <0101>
	| | |   "cpu-type" = <0101>
0101 is Core 2 Solo, yet System Prof still shows unknown. And worse, this is the 1st time ever that I see a wrong CPU speed recognition. System Prof is pround to tell me I have a 1,67Ghz CPU ! No thanks, I still have a N270 @ 1,6Ghz. Whether my mobo is drunk or the BIOS is, still it does not work.
I would love some feedback on it, especially from N270 users.

BTW, try this FakeSMC is shows the CPU temp in iStat.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

4th : Stability ; not quite that isn't it? I mean if you wait for the KP you might not experience it, but if you look for it... Try to put you netbook to sleep, then wakeup, go to System Profiler, Soft > Extension... and Boom :)
It's just an example, seems we are not far away from the right stable thing, but we still have to work at it.

Im unable to replicate a KP from your above scenario.

I think Proto has done a superb job on the DSDT around stability. No matter what I do on my 311, I haven't seen a KP for weeks ! (touch wood)

From my perspective, Sound and trackpad should be the main focal points.
:D

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Im unable to replicate a KP from your above scenario.

I think Proto has done a superb job on the DSDT around stability. No matter what I do on my 311, I haven't seen a KP for weeks ! (touch wood)

From my perspective, Sound and trackpad should be the main focal points.
:whistle:

Here are my most recent ponderings.

I believe some of us have very stable running machines after sleep and others do not even with the same files being used.

Myself and MowgliBook evidently do not have stable systems. I have tried removing my BT/WiFi module and have the same issues. I have had the KP that he has talked about going to extensions in System Profiler since day one and I am lucky if I can even log in after a resume now (or if the screen even comes back before the KP).

I am actually really frustrated with this thing right now as I cannot resume after sleeping... Period. Once and a while I will get lucky and just wait to hit hit the right button to bring it down hard.

It almost seems that somehow there are differences with these systems besides the CPUs and WiFi cards or a difference in the initial config. Firmware is out of the equation since supervisa and I verified we are running F.04 with completely different luck on stability.

Congradulations if you have a stable system. For those of us without a "resumable" system this is a huge piss-off and I have tried sooooo many things. Maybe I will or someonw else will stumble across the exact reason why this is. I will keep looking.

Those having complete stability after resume, are you using GPT with PC EFI 10.5 on the EFI partition?

And what ApplePS2Controller verion are using? 2.0.0 allows me to use the keyboard and trackpad with resume failure, 1.1.0/1.2.0 allows me to use the keyboard without trackpad with the resume failure.

It seems that some users are having no issues whatsoever with the 1.2.0 PS2Controller using the built in trackpad. Can people attach the FULLY WORKING PS2Contoller files they are using?

BTW - updating to 10.6.1 may help with BT pairing issues for some.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Here are my most recent ponderings.

I believe some of us have very stable running machines after sleep and others do not even with the same files being used.

Myself and MowgliBook evidently do not have stable systems. I have tried removing my BT/WiFi module and have the same issues. I have had the KP that he has talked about going to extensions in System Profiler since day one and I am lucky if I can even log in after a resume now (or if the screen even comes back before the KP).

I am actually really frustrated with this thing right now as I cannot resume after sleeping... Period. Once and a while I will get lucky and just wait to hit hit the right button to bring it down hard.

It almost seems that somehow there are differences with these systems besides the CPUs and WiFi cards or a difference in the initial config. Firmware is out of the equation since supervisa and I verified we are running F.04 with completely different luck on stability.

Congradulations if you have a stable system. For those of us without a "resumable" system this is a huge piss-off and I have tried sooooo many things. Maybe I will or someonw else will stumble across the exact reason why this is. I will keep looking.

Those having complete stability after resume, are you using GPT with PC EFI 10.5 on the EFI partition?

And what ApplePS2Controller verion are using? 2.0.0 allows me to use the keyboard and trackpad with resume failure, 1.1.0/1.2.0 allows me to use the keyboard without trackpad with the resume failure.

It seems that some users are having no issues whatsoever with the 1.2.0 PS2Controller using the built in trackpad. Can people attach the FULLY WORKING PS2Contoller files they are using?

BTW - updating to 10.6.1 may help with BT pairing issues for some.

@theproto, you have all the kexts i'm running i'm stable. I'm not running an EFI partition just the extra folder off the root. Plus I'm using GPT PC EFI 10.5 (when I updated to this my system stabilized a lot) with the Vanilla kernel.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
I'm stuck on HDA, and wait for one of my friends advice. Meanwhile, I'll try to reinstall Mac OS X with different setup to find out what the hell is going with my CPU recognition, and hopefully my BT.

I've uploaded some stuff on my MediaFire repo. Only for development.

EDIT : Just ran MSRTools and found out that SpeedStep is not working. with Voodoopowermini in Extra.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID:	0x103C3651
  Audio ID:	12
  Available Devices:
  External Microphone:
  Connection:	1/8-Inch Jack
  Headphone:
  Speaker:
  Connection:	Internal
  Internal Microphone:

One step closer... but still really far away...

All HDA kext loaded, System Prof shows the right thing, and yet... no devices.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I'm stuck on HDA, and wait for one of my friends advice. Meanwhile, I'll try to reinstall Mac OS X with different setup to find out what the hell is going with my CPU recognition, and hopefully my BT.

I've uploaded some stuff on my MediaFire repo. Only for development.

EDIT : Just ran MSRTools and found out that SpeedStep is not working. with Voodoopowermini in Extra.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID:	0x103C3651
  Audio ID:	12
  Available Devices:
  External Microphone:
  Headphone:
  Speaker:
  Internal Microphone:

One step closer... but still really far away...

All HDA kext loaded, System Prof shows the right thing, and yet... no devices.

VoodooPowerMini steps right when used in /S/L/E or loaded anywhere from an mkext created against /S/L/E.

Having AppleHDA show up in System Profiler with the correct inputs and no in/outputs in the sound prefpane is where I left off as well. I hope you get it as that is where I considered myself lost as I couldn't find any further help.

This system stability {censored} is really getting to me. I can't even explain how inconsistent it is.

The PS2 kexts all vary in dependancies, that is why some will work in /E/E and others not. in fact the modified PS2Trackpad kext inside PS2 1.1.0 has dependancies on the system being up so it needs an MKEXT unless you change it.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
http://dl.getdropbox...9147/311HDA.zip

You might help. Lastest Legacy is IDTHDA3.kext

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

Hey Proto,

Sorry to hear your having stability issues. Perhaps we are not giving the 311 as much use as you however I have given it about 10hrs usage with alot of sleeping/resuming using both the LID and Power-->Sleep and resume seems great.

Back when we were using NVEnabler, I would get the occasional black screen on resume but I have not seen this since using the EFI Video Enabler.

I like quite a few others am not using an EFI partition. Im just wing the file/folder structure from "netbookinstaller"

/Extra ... /GeneralExtensions etc and building a mkext against that.

RE: PS2 Controller, I'm not with my 311 currently however I am using the version that is included in your most recent archive.

It would be interesting to see if a Software clone from one of our "Stable" devices would yield any stability for you (just as a troubleshooting step)

If I wasn't on the other side of the world, id hook you up.

MowgliBook

MowgliBook

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
getting closer, but have to sleep. keep you posted tomorrow.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

getting closer, but have to sleep. keep you posted tomorrow.

Sounds Exciting :(

Ideal

Ideal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, I've been reading the previous thread and this thread the last few days and prepping myself, just got my mini311 a few days ago. Do you guys need something from windows before I blow it away? I read you needed a rom dump from gpu-z? Ill see what I can do

i also wanted to say thanks for all your hard work! dont give up! I know this stuff gets frustrating, but you'll love the rewards! Take a day or two off though! Dont reach burn out!

I can also do some file hosting for you guys, no need to use the mediafire/shared hosting stuff, just send me a PM and ill try to get some working ftp info to you asap.

If you look at the system profiler page it likely shows:

xx.xx.xx - internal

Indicating that you are not using the ROM at all., many are confused with that one as we forgot to specify the VideoROM attribute wit the path to it. Once you do make the connection it is bad news. However PC EFI is doing a great job by itself.

EDIT: Can anyone see if http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ can actually dump our NVIDIA ROM? I believe netkas said GPU-ZS dumps roms in one of his replies and I would like to validate that but don't have Windows on this device.

I really want access to our actual ROM. Anyone, please?

GPU-Z Dump :(

Proto: Is this what you need?

<gpuz_dump>  <version>0.3.6</version>  <card>    <location>2:0:0</location>    <cardname>NVIDIA ION LE</cardname>    <vendor>NVIDIA</vendor>    <vendorid>10DE</vendorid>    <gpuname>ION</gpuname>    <diesize>162</diesize>    <processsize>65</processsize>    <deviceid>087F</deviceid>    <subsysid>3651</subsysid>    <subvendor>HP</subvendor>    <subvendorid>103C</subvendorid>    <biosversion></biosversion>    <businterface>PCI</businterface>    <directxsupport>10.0</directxsupport>    <shadermodel>4.0</shadermodel>    <memtype>DDR</memtype>    <membuswidth>64</membuswidth>    <memsize>256</memsize>    <numrops>4</numrops>    <numshadersvertex></numshadersvertex>    <numshaderspixel></numshaderspixel>    <numshadersunified>16</numshadersunified>    <driverversion>nvlddmkm 8.16.11.8766 (ForceWare 187.66) / Win7</driverversion>    <fillratepixel>1.8</fillratepixel>    <fillratetexel>3.6</fillratetexel>    <membandwidth>17.0</membandwidth>    <clockgpu>450</clockgpu>    <clockmem>1063</clockmem>    <clockshader>1100</clockshader>    <clockgpudefault>450</clockgpudefault>    <clockmemdefault>1063</clockmemdefault>    <clockshaderdefault>1100</clockshaderdefault>    <multigpuname>NVIDIA SLI</multigpuname>    <multigpu0>Disabled </multigpu0>  </card></gpuz_dump>

Hey guys, I've been reading the previous thread and this thread the last few days and prepping myself, just got my mini311 a few days ago. Do you guys need something from windows before I blow it away? I read you needed a rom dump from gpu-z? Ill see what I can do

i also wanted to say thanks for all your hard work! dont give up! I know this stuff gets frustrating, but you'll love the rewards! Take a day or two off though! Dont reach burn out!

I can also do some file hosting for you guys, no need to use the mediafire/shared hosting stuff, just send me a PM and ill try to get some working ftp info to you asap.

GPU-Z Dump :D

Proto: Is this what you need?

<gpuz_dump>  <version>0.3.6</version>  <card>    <location>2:0:0</location>    <cardname>NVIDIA ION LE</cardname>    <vendor>NVIDIA</vendor>    <vendorid>10DE</vendorid>    <gpuname>ION</gpuname>    <diesize>162</diesize>    <processsize>65</processsize>    <deviceid>087F</deviceid>    <subsysid>3651</subsysid>    <subvendor>HP</subvendor>    <subvendorid>103C</subvendorid>    <biosversion></biosversion>    <businterface>PCI</businterface>    <directxsupport>10.0</directxsupport>    <shadermodel>4.0</shadermodel>    <memtype>DDR</memtype>    <membuswidth>64</membuswidth>    <memsize>256</memsize>    <numrops>4</numrops>    <numshadersvertex></numshadersvertex>    <numshaderspixel></numshaderspixel>    <numshadersunified>16</numshadersunified>    <driverversion>nvlddmkm 8.16.11.8766 (ForceWare 187.66) / Win7</driverversion>    <fillratepixel>1.8</fillratepixel>    <fillratetexel>3.6</fillratetexel>    <membandwidth>17.0</membandwidth>    <clockgpu>450</clockgpu>    <clockmem>1063</clockmem>    <clockshader>1100</clockshader>    <clockgpudefault>450</clockgpudefault>    <clockmemdefault>1063</clockmemdefault>    <clockshaderdefault>1100</clockshaderdefault>    <multigpuname>NVIDIA SLI</multigpuname>    <multigpu0>Disabled </multigpu0>  </card></gpuz_dump>

Thats the most I can for a rom dump at the moment, GPU-z states that it cannot read the BIOS on the ION Card, ill try a few beta versions of GPUZ

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
On another positive note: I have the Samsung n510 ION LE and specs are very similar; in fact I have used proto's archive almost exclusively except for the DSDT.aml and the Trackpad kexts. For which I had to use the VoodooPS2 kexts. Everything works as per your experience. The digital web cam in the n510 doesnt have the dark problem and deep sleep work great. Only real mod was installing an apple mini PCI airport card. I have exactly the same sound problem with the static but did get the internal mic working using the voodoo pref pane

FYI i had to enable wake S3 with usb in pheonix bios to get the screen to wake from sleep. Not sure if you have the same option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy