• Please log in to reply
1496 replies to this topic

step2008

step2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
unless you want to put a wifi card in the half-size pci-express slot, then you need icelord's modified BIOS

ole_k

ole_k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I have been trying to re-brand the stock broad com BCM4312 in order to have it detected as an apple airport card. Hopefully this will enable the card in 10.6.

So far I have extracted the ROM using an Ubuntu 10.04LTS RC2. In order to extract the ROM I needed to install the firmware as described in the section "You are using the b43 driver with an LP-PHY card (e.g. BCM4312)" on the Linux wireless b43 website.

At this point I am trying to determine which value I should assign the the Subsystem Product ID. It seems that 0x0087 is a good value, but I would appreciate input on this matter.

Furthermore, the ssb_sprom writing procedure fails with an error message:
writing `/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/0000:03:00.0/ssb_sprom': Operation not supported
This seems to be a limitation in the chipset compatibility between ssb_sprom and the chipset. I plan to investigate if any of the latest kernel patches may resolve this problem.

Attached is the ROM file from the stock BCM4312 card.

Attached Files

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

@Kappy
Yep, with verbose mode, hibernatemode 0 ; perfect sleep/clamshell sleep and resume. ;)

Guys, this sounds a good something to look into:
CPUIDOverride, CPUIDSymbols

I haven't tested using verbose mode. I turned that off after the initial installation. I'll see if that changes anything. As of now I still have the following issues:

1. Trackpad is non-functional.
2. CPU is running at constant speed - no speedstep which was working at one time.
3. And the kernel panic at shutdown or restart after putting the computer to sleep.

Not sure at all why the above issues are present. When using HF4 along with the additions of SleepEnabler and LidClose kexts in the /S/L/E all seemed fine.

EDIT: Well, I went back to square one, so to speak. I tried the only idea I had left which was to remove the Logitech Mouse driver software. I reinstalled HF5, and everything came into play. I then installed the prior version of the Logitech software, and so far it's all working properly - for now. We'll see if it holds up. If so then I can chalk everything up to a conflict with the latest Logitech software version.

Chobbes

Chobbes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So i am back at home...

My Modell is a Compaq 311c-1130EG

- 2GB Ram

- 320 GB Sata HD

- Atom N270

if other informations are required pls contact

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

mosslack - I tried following your instructions but i believe i found the same result. I get a kernel panic on boot. Something regarding a mismatch between the processor and the kernel. (I can get more exact info on it tomorrow night.)

Any advice on what to do when your machine fails to boot? Left to my own devices I start from scratch, which is time consuming.

meklort is looking for testers for a variety of netbooks - http://www.meklort.com/ - I emailed him to offer help and got a prompt response. Its clear that a few people on this forum would be far more helpful than me. Meklort seems interested in supporting the HP 311 (and other machines), particularly if he can be provided with helpful info.

In what way is it beautiful? Perhaps I'm just too new to the finer points of hackintshing to know.

---
Chobbes - that sounds incorrect. the install guide you followed provides several different routes. Which one did you take?

Yes I am a tester for meklort's NetbookInstaller. I've done my HP mini 311 and my OCZ Neutrino, but have not tried the Asus 1201N yet. I may have to go back over the previous posts to remember if there was anything else I did that I forgot to mention. I know when I originally ran it the screen would just flash when I booted. Someone suggested removing NVEnabler.kext and running Update Extra, which cured the problems. Seems like there was something else I did as well, but now I can't remember. Too many systems to keep track of I guess. I will look for the answer.

EDIT: As I figured, I forgot a few things. Give me some time and I will post a better guide for you to follow. I'm working on it now.

@ LeMaurien19: Hey Mr. Moderator, how about a new thread? This one is getting kind of long and we are sort of going in another direction now. Control of the top post would be nice so we can see at a glance what works and what doesn't, etc.

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
Ok, here's HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests PART II

reberto

reberto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Trying the HF5RC1 (because I'm feeling brave), and so far all is well. My only complaint is that VoodooHDA causes all sounds to be pretty much mute until the volume is beyond 50%, which I hope can be fixed :D No crackling issues so far, I use InsomniaX so sleep isn't something that I ever really look at. Currently I'm booting without -v because I'm a fan of the very Apple-like booting/shutdown that I can have. I'm curious if HF5RC1 includes the modded Trackpad kext that was brought up ~a month ago.

If anyone wants to use me for a guinea pig here are my specs, I'm not afraid to have to reinstall ;)
N270 (at 2.4ghz)/3GB RAM/160GB Seagate HD/Dell 1510 N

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Nobody is running a working Wi-Fi card in the 1/2 height slot (in 10.6)

All of us with either 1/2 or full height cards have them running in the full height slot with pin 20 covered.

Due to the whitelist on the 1/2 height slot, you can only keep your stock card in there for BT

If you didn't order the 311 with WWAN then you will need the U. FL extensions.

Where to get them ?

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1317229

Hope that helps...

I am using a Dell 1510 1/2 height WiFi card that I rebranded. It works perfectly and is detected as an Airport Extreme card. It requires setting up a Linux boot device. I used a USB flash drive and installed Ubunto 9.1 on it. Then followed instructions from one of the threads on rebranding it. A bit tedious but worked well. I am also using one of icelord's hacked BIOS file that disables whitelist (and contains the hacks for overclocking.)

I am curious about one particular problem area with OS X on the Mini, namely getting Ethernet to work after waking from sleep. This is still apparently something unresolved. Do not have the problem with wireless. Is the Ethernet problem resolvable at all?

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I am using a Dell 1510 1/2 height WiFi card that I rebranded. It works perfectly and is detected as an Airport Extreme card. It requires setting up a Linux boot device. I used a USB flash drive and installed Ubunto 9.1 on it. Then followed instructions from one of the threads on rebranding it. A bit tedious but worked well. I am also using one of icelord's hacked BIOS file that disables whitelist (and contains the hacks for overclocking.)

I am curious about one particular problem area with OS X on the Mini, namely getting Ethernet to work after waking from sleep. This is still apparently something unresolved. Do not have the problem with wireless. Is the Ethernet problem resolvable at all?

In case you didn't see it on the new thread, I have a guide now posted for using NBBM/NBI to install 10.6.3 on the Mini 311. You can find it here if you want to try it.

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

Kappy

Kappy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

In case you didn't see it on the new thread, I have a guide now posted for using NBBM/NBI to install 10.6.3 on the Mini 311. You can find it here if you want to try it.

http://docs.google.c...1...jN2Zt&hl=en

OK. I'm familiar with using NBI but always had problems with it working properly. Will give your guide a go.

Do you know if this fixes the problem with the loss of the Ethernet port when waking from sleep? As it is when I am using an Ethernet connection I have to shut down the Mini. Although sleep works OK, the Ethernet connection is lost until the computer is rebooted.

Note: I actually thought I had posted in the new thread, but instead it showed up here. I don't know why but it was not my intent to ignore the new section.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
No I don't know that, I only tested USB after sleep which worked fine. I use my WLAN which also works fine after sleep. If you can let us know that would be great. Also I am looking for feedback on the guide itself, whether I need to make changes or not, so your opinion would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

LeMaurien19

LeMaurien19

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 339 posts
While I've been able to create a new thread for us (PART II), I'm unable to close this one.
It's either I'm just dumb and can't find the controls as I'm unfamiliar with this forum's layout (I'd like to think I was able to find my way fine as a mod back at myHPMini forums) or that I've not enough authorization to close a thread (I've PM'd Ed)... :blush:

In the meantime, let's post from now on at the new thread: HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests, Level 1 Support PART II

phoenixfire425

phoenixfire425

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I know this thread is moved to part 2 but i am blocked from posting on that thread...

But i am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I am trying to get my WWAN (hp un2400) card working...

I am not sure of the steps i should be taking to get this to work. I am able to use it under windows and lunix but not osx 10.6.7

any help would be great!!!

Thank You

almuras

almuras

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

While I've been able to create a new thread for us (PART II), I'm unable to close this one.
It's either I'm just dumb and can't find the controls as I'm unfamiliar with this forum's layout (I'd like to think I was able to find my way fine as a mod back at myHPMini forums) or that I've not enough authorization to close a thread (I've PM'd Ed)... :angel:

In the meantime, let's post from now on at the new thread: HP Mini 311 - Support Questions/Requests, Level 1 Support PART II

@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 10pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }.MsoPapDefault { margin-bottom: 10pt; }div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; } Has anybody succeeded with BCM 14e4 4353 wireless card?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
If its the included card it will not work.

almuras

almuras

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

If its the included card it will not work.

What about flashing the bios to remove whitelist or taping pin 20?
Thanks!

Defender666

Defender666

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi Friends,

I currently installing on Joojoo which is a tablet device with similar specs then HP Mini. Can someone upload the DSDT for HP Mini311 which enables vanilla speedstep I need it to fix my speedstep because original HP311 package from MowgliBook is down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy