1496 replies to this topic

JFNAV

JFNAV

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Hi:

I'm new in the forum. I think I've a problem with the search engine. I'm looking for a full guide to make a Snow Leopard install on my Compaq Mini 311c (same as HP Mini 311). Can anyone help to find some post that include the install method. I think that the hardware discussions are very advanced for me. I have a Retail Snow Leopard and I'm a Mac user.

Thanks.

Regards

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Hi:

I'm new in the forum. I think I've a problem with the search engine. I'm looking for a full guide to make a Snow Leopard install on my Compaq Mini 311c (same as HP Mini 311). Can anyone help to find some post that include the install method. I think that the hardware discussions are very advanced for me. I have a Retail Snow Leopard and I'm a Mac user.

Thanks.

Regards

Check out this guide,
http://mymacbookmini...2/snow-leopard/

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I got snow booting fine from the EFI partition but after i install win7 it installs fully. Do i delete the FAT partition so i can format with NTFS to install? It wont let me install on fat partition. Also after installing, i put active back to EFI partition and i get "Missing Operating System" Not sure what im doing wrong, i fully followed Max's post to dual boot.

yes ..
format in ntfs the fat partitions

Missing Operating System:
there are 2 step to make active the partition from command prompt in win7:
one for EFI and one for WIN7 (you have to boot from win7 dvd 2 times)
try it and read carefully the instructions

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Sounds like an install method related issue... How did you get your OS 10.6 installed originally?

Personally, I am using Boot Think on USB (only to get booted off USB DVD) with and mkext to boot the retail DVD, then since I already have a working EFI partition it boots from there on reboot (thats why its good to have a supported kernel inside) into the OS welcome video... I have a bluetooth mouse that it find right away and I use a USB keyboard until I install the kexts needed for PS2 under /S/L/E and the 10.6.2 combo and reboot. No mess.

Not a bad method however I am working on an installer from within the OS to prepare the EFI partition and install /S/L/E kexts.

I will likely update my initial boot process to get the retail DVD booted.

I'll reinstall and let your know if it fixes everything. This is my first time using the EFI partition and I have to say I'm really like it.

zag0r

zag0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

to be sure wich kext I need to have in /S/L/E I made a "ls -ltr" ordered by date and the output of the last items is:

[codebox]drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 3 19:50 AppleMultitouchDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 3 20:33 ATI4500Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 3 20:34 ATI4600Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Nov 3 21:24 AudioAUUC.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 3 21:33 AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 6 17:11 ClamshellDisplay.kext
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Nov 10 22:50 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Nov 10 22:50 AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Nov 10 22:50 System.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Nov 15 18:19 VoodooPowerMini.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Nov 15 18:20 ApplePS2Controller.kext[/codebox]

and I don't know if I need all this kext...

Thaks a lot

assassinmi5

assassinmi5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
EDIT!!!

yes ..
format in ntfs the fat partitions

Missing Operating System:
there are 2 step to make active the partition from command prompt in win7:
one for EFI and one for WIN7 (you have to boot from win7 dvd 2 times)
try it and read carefully the instructions

After installing snow perfectly, can boot efi. I go to install Windows. I format the FAT partition and install. I get no error message regarding boot sector. Win7 boots from main screen now. So I select partition 1 (EFI) as active and i get no operating system. I know im doing something wrong... Seems like windows is installing over my EFI partition

Im not getting this error... after install you get some error (the boot loader dont see nothing )
dont panic

EDIT ok I Can boot to OSX using snowleopard CD but then my windows boot is not going through. It seems like the EFI or the Win7 boot... so i reinstalled EFI and I just noticed that i do not have wireless on snow(No wireless card installed) --- Works on vanilla. I have been using the 1.5RC installer. Im not sure if i messed it up with the installer, updating bios to f04 or dual boot. It does read the airport and card in the OSX CD.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
At some point I intend on creating a bootable image that you can dump onto a USB stick that will allow you to boot into the retail Snow Leopard installation disc and install to the internal HD, after the install use the stick one more time to boot into the OS and run the single installation packages which installs all the HP Mini 311 hardware support needed.

Let me know if you are interested in something like this.

I will warn you that the Installer does (and will not) provision for dual booting or MBR disks as I am use only Snow Leopard thus I do not test for anything but the ability to ensure at any cost the system's ability to boot from the EFI partition with a freshly GPT partitioned drive through the retail Snow Leopard disc (like a real Mac).

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I would be strongly interested in this, at least the second part (for installing hardware support). The first part is amazing as well, but I'd like to dual boot with Windows 7 for some business applications :( so I'd have to find a workaround for that I suppose.

On another note, if you were to put up some basic instructions instead of making a software to load the files, would it save you much time? I'm sure the installer method makes it much more consumer-oriented, but I think most people should be able to follow some instructions, as long as it's just copying/pasting and some terminal stuff? If it's more complex, I guess the installer would be best.

Thanks for your hard work! I'm coming to the States to get a 311 (and other stuff) thanks to you.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I would be strongly interested in this, at least the second part (for installing hardware support). The first part is amazing as well, but I'd like to dual boot with Windows 7 for some business applications ;) so I'd have to find a workaround for that I suppose.

On another note, if you were to put up some basic instructions instead of making a software to load the files, would it save you much time? I'm sure the installer method makes it much more consumer-oriented, but I think most people should be able to follow some instructions, as long as it's just copying/pasting and some terminal stuff? If it's more complex, I guess the installer would be best.

Thanks for your hard work! I'm coming to the States to get a 311 (and other stuff) thanks to you.

I plan to release all the files along with the installer with every release. In the bundle will consist of the installer package project files (only 30k wirth of data) along with the actual distribution files moving forward.

I definately do not intend to hide anything or make it seem like I hold some kind of "spectial power" that only I can build these files like I have seen with other projects. This is an open project that many folks have invested good time in making our devices work with this great platform.

I can say that with the installer the scripts have shrunk and this has helped make the install proccess virtually bulletproof when dealing only with the Mini 311.

At this time the installer sets up the hardware support and may or may not jive with dual boot environments.

You can hit F8 really quick at boot to bring up the boot menu and choose other OSes from there without an issue. you can also mount the EFI partition this creates and remove the quite boot option preventing the immediate boot on startup.

So this will likely work fine with dual boot systems provided that the EFI partition is /dev/disk0s1 as it should be if the EFI/GPT spec is followed and not being used for any other reason.

For the record, I DO USE OUR CURRENT INSTALLER myself as it is quick and consitant to get guarenteed hardware support in place.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
i am waiting for my order from ebay coming.
it is
an Apple Airport Extreme Card MA688Z/B 802.11n then i saw some post in mydellmini saying this card generates alot of heat.

anyone is using this with our mini 311? how is the heat factor?

from the thread at mydellmini others are suggesting Dell 1505 is cooler.
please let me know if anyone is using this one.
as i might ordering this one and considered the
MA688Z/B as a mistake.

ofcourse i am planning to tape the pin and using it on the full slot, but then the bios flashing info coming up.

any suggestion?

my ideal goal is to have wireless N and bluetooth as native as possible

cheers.

ikeny

ikeny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I am very interested in this. My full ION mini 311 should arrive tomorrow according to UPS, and I have a 80GB Intel SSD ready to be inserted for OS X. This will be my hobby netbook, and I am very willing to be your guinea pig :(

A quick question:

Given that the one kext is used for both the ION and ION LE chipsets, does that mean there won't be any performance difference? I am debating whether to refund this full ION model, and get the ION LE model for $50 less. Afterall, I don't need Win 7, don't need the larger HDD, don't need full ION...

Also, do we know what media player for Mac that can take advantage of ION playing mkv files?

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I am very interested in this. My full ION mini 311 should arrive tomorrow according to UPS, and I have a 80GB Intel SSD ready to be inserted for OS X. This will be my hobby netbook, and I am very willing to be your guinea pig :(

A quick question:

Given that the one kext is used for both the ION and ION LE chipsets, does that mean there won't be any performance difference? I am debating whether to refund this full ION model, and get the ION LE model for $50 less. Afterall, I don't need Win 7, don't need the larger HDD, don't need full ION...

Also, do we know what media player for Mac that can take advantage of ION playing mkv files?

I don't think any of the popular players available (VLC, Movist) have GPU-assisted MKV playback. As for the full ION vs. LE performance difference, from what I read awhile back, ION LE didn't have DX10 support (or DX11; whatever was Win Vista/7 only). That was the only difference. I don't think there is anything else, so that should be meaningless for OS X users anyway. Anyone confirm this?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I don't think any of the popular players available (VLC, Movist) have GPU-assisted MKV playback. As for the full ION vs. LE performance difference, from what I read awhile back, ION LE didn't have DX10 support (or DX11; whatever was Win Vista/7 only). That was the only difference. I don't think there is anything else, so that should be meaningless for OS X users anyway. Anyone confirm this?

Very true that we won't miss DX10 however the fact of the matter is that the chips are the same and the driver is enabling or disabling based on device ID alone as it was discovered about a month back.

JFNAV

JFNAV

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Check out this guide,
http://mymacbookmini...2/snow-leopard/

Thanks a lot. Should you tell me if I need a specific BIOS version to meke the install that refers the guide? Some special BIOS configuration?

Thanks again and thanks everyone for the great work you are doing, really amazing.

Best Regards

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Thanks a lot. Should you tell me if I need a specific BIOS version to meke the install that refers the guide? Some special BIOS configuration?

Thanks again and thanks everyone for the great work you are doing, really amazing.

Best Regards

Make sure you update to the latest bios version, F04

JFNAV

JFNAV

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Make sure you update to the latest bios version, F04

Thanks a lot. I hope to be able to boot from my USB Disk to make the install, because when I start my computer I can't access to boot menu (F9), screen remains with the message: Esc to... but keyboard doesn't work. Some idea?

Thanks again.

Regards.

PJJ

PJJ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

Got some problems with my build need help.

Compaq Mini 311c 1010sa 3GB RAM. bios version, F04

I have installed SL via the netbookmaker guide and i am having a few problems;Deleted the old Extras Folder then Updated to 10.6.2 and applied the HPM311DarwinEnv_1109RC1.5.pkg. installer.

Problems
1. Video is not working in front row, can't get any video in VLC etc.

2. no Sleep, the mouse pointer will disappear the will come back if you hit the power button.

I my doing something wrong ? Is there something in the Extensions folder that netbookmaker has installed that needs removed.

Thks in advance

PJ

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Thanks a lot. I hope to be able to boot from my USB Disk to make the install, because when I start my computer I can't access to boot menu (F9), screen remains with the message: Esc to... but keyboard doesn't work. Some idea?

Thanks again.

Regards.

When it's first booting and you see the HP logo, you should see it say, "Press the esc key for startup menu". You really have to press the esc key a couple times before it registers. After that, you'll see the option to press F9 for boot options.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Hi all,

Got some problems with my build need help.

Compaq Mini 311c 1010sa 3GB RAM. bios version, F04

I have installed SL via the netbookmaker guide and i am having a few problems;Deleted the old Extras Folder then Updated to 10.6.2 and applied the HPM311DarwinEnv_1109RC1.5.pkg. installer.

Problems
1. Video is not working in front row, can't get any video in VLC etc.

2. no Sleep, the mouse pointer will disappear the will come back if you hit the power button.

I my doing something wrong ? Is there something in the Extensions folder that netbookmaker has installed that needs removed.

Thks in advance

PJ

The installer should stands on its own provided you have Mac OS X installed to begin with... Once you have upgraded to 10.6.2 and used the installer as long as you are using GTP and can see that it is using the boot environment that the installer deploys you should be all set. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER boot.plist, DSDT and extensions to get started until you have verified everything is working as expected.

It looks like you are somehow still using the NetbookInstaller stuff and that will not work as expected.

I almost wish folks would not use NetbookInstaller to get this netbook off the ground as it has cause many many config conflicts when you don't know what to look for and you are moving to a different "boot environment" such as this projects.

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
If anyone is looking for a nice dual boot guide with Windows 7, look no further. JELaVallee has come up with a nice guide over at MyMacBookMini.com

http://mymacbookmini.com/guides/hp-mini-31...indows-7-guide/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy