1496 replies to this topic

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hello,

Also what is the quickest way to get dual boot. Ive tried several ways but i keep messing up my system and having to reinstall. I install using netbook maker.

dual boot win7 snow leopard retail (thanks theproto and all friends)

restore snow leopard retail dvd on usb key o hd
then apply netbook maker

boot from snow install

partition: 1 for snow in hfs 1 for win 7 in fat (guid all partition)

install snow and update to 10.6.2 (don't reboot)

important!! Delete all netbook maker file in / (Extra ecc ecc )

rename mach_kernel in mach_kernel.10.6.2 in /

Then read all info from post 1 Theproto for install EFI (RC1)

--------------------------------------

here the info from 14nov archive: (use this example for rc1 archive) for right place files
Use with RC1 path (is an example)

Create the Chameleon HFS+ partition in the EFI spec allocated disk space:
sudo fdisk -f /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/Chameleon/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1
sudo dd if=/PATH TO/DATE_Archive/Chameleon/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Mount the Chameleon EFI partition used for booting PC EFI:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
sudo touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

Copy files needed for booting from the downloaded archive: Here change path for RC1
sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_atom
sudo cp /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/boot /Volumes/EFI
sudo cp -R /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/Extra /Volumes/EFI
sudo cp -R /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext
Repeat correct permission for all kext!!! in S/L/E

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
WAIT 3-5 MINUTES

Unmount the EFI partition and clean up the system after each use:
sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
sudo fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

------------------------------------

if you get snow ok otherwise repeat the pass for EFI until you get a clean boot
(use snow install to boot)

for win 7
install on fat partition formatted in ntfs

after install you get some error (the boot loader dont see nothing )
dont panic

see this info:

To correct this, reboot, insert your windows usb key or dvd and boot from it. If you tried to repair the boot sector now, the windows installer would not succeed, because it is looking at the active partition's boot sector (where it assumes the windows install is) but this is in fact the Mac EFI partition. To get it to fix the windows boot sector we need to set the windows partition as active:

When you get to the language choice, press Shift+fn+f10 to bring up the command prompt.

Type the following:

Diskpart [enter]

Select disk 0 [enter]

Select partition 3 [enter] (windows 7 Partition)

Active [enter]

It should tell you that partition 3 is now active.

Close cmd prompt and click repair windows install

It should now find the windows install and repair the boot sector (and not mess up your chameleon install).

Finally, when it restarts: boot to the windows installer one last time. You need to set the active disk to your mac install with the chameleon bootloader -

Press Shift+fn+f10 and bring up the command prompt. Type the following:

Diskpart [enter]

Select disk 0 [enter]

Select partition 1 [enter] (EFI partition)

Active [enter]

reboot and enjoy (maybe)

good job,

max

Johnny Fairplay

Johnny Fairplay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

dual boot win7 snow leopard retail (thanks theproto and all friends)

restore snow leopard retail dvd on usb key o hd
then apply netbook maker

boot from snow install

partition: 1 for snow in hfs 1 for win 7 in fat (guid all partition)

install snow and update to 10.6.2 (don't reboot)

important!! Delete all netbook maker file in / (Extra ecc ecc )

rename mach_kernel in mach_kernel.10.6.2 in /

Then read all info from post 1 Theproto for install EFI (RC1)

--------------------------------------

here the info from 14nov archive: (use this example for rc1 archive) for right place files
Use with RC1 path (is an example)

Create the Chameleon HFS+ partition in the EFI spec allocated disk space:
sudo fdisk -f /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/Chameleon/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1
sudo dd if=/PATH TO/DATE_Archive/Chameleon/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Mount the Chameleon EFI partition used for booting PC EFI:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
sudo touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

Copy files needed for booting from the downloaded archive: Here change path for RC1
sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_atom
sudo cp /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/boot /Volumes/EFI
sudo cp -R /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/Extra /Volumes/EFI
sudo cp -R /PATH TO/DATE_Archive/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext
Repeat correct permission for all kext!!! in S/L/E

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
WAIT 3-5 MINUTES

Unmount the EFI partition and clean up the system after each use:
sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
sudo fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

------------------------------------

if you get snow ok otherwise repeat the pass for EFI until you get a clean boot
(use snow install to boot)

for win 7
install on fat partition formatted in ntfs

after install you get some error (the boot loader dont see nothing )
dont panic

see this info:

To correct this, reboot, insert your windows usb key or dvd and boot from it. If you tried to repair the boot sector now, the windows installer would not succeed, because it is looking at the active partition's boot sector (where it assumes the windows install is) but this is in fact the Mac EFI partition. To get it to fix the windows boot sector we need to set the windows partition as active:

When you get to the language choice, press Shift+fn+f10 to bring up the command prompt.

Type the following:

Diskpart [enter]

Select disk 0 [enter]

Select partition 3 [enter] (windows 7 Partition)

Active [enter]

It should tell you that partition 3 is now active.

Close cmd prompt and click repair windows install

It should now find the windows install and repair the boot sector (and not mess up your chameleon install).

Finally, when it restarts: boot to the windows installer one last time. You need to set the active disk to your mac install with the chameleon bootloader -

Press Shift+fn+f10 and bring up the command prompt. Type the following:

Diskpart [enter]

Select disk 0 [enter]

Select partition 1 [enter] (EFI partition)

Active [enter]

reboot and enjoy (maybe)

good job,

max

I think "maybe" is right on with this one.. It has taken a bit of work, but I am now to the point where I can get a nice dual boot screen with the apple logo and the windows logo.. Windows works fine, I am able to boot right in, no problems.. However, now when I attempt to boot into 10.6.2, I get the following error: "cannot find bt(0,0)/mach_atom" - I can confirm that mach_atom exists at the / location, and the permissions and ownership appear to be ok. I have attempted to reload my EFI spec a few times, but I get the same error.. Any thoughts? I did edit the stock com.apple.Boot.plist provided in RC1, I added the key/value 'wait' and 'yes' so that I would get the menu..

Again, cannot thank everyone enough.. I have my wifi card on order and I feel like I am about 90% there on my dual boot.. Help is greatly appreciated-

-JFP

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

However, now when I attempt to boot into 10.6.2, I get the following error: "cannot find bt(0,0)/mach_atom" - I can confirm that mach_atom exists at the / location,

-JFP

yes...
the RC1 archive is designed for work with mach_atom in EFI partition
NOT in / (root)
move mach_atom in EFI

ciao

step2008

step2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I read in the project thread that MowgliBook encountered a lot of issues with his French Compaq Mini 311c. Is there something wrong with this model ?

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I read in the project thread that MowgliBook encountered a lot of issues with his French Compaq Mini 311c. Is there something wrong with this model ?

i had compaq 311 c (italian)
no issue here
be patience and read all post for complete install

rushtrader

rushtrader

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Is there a simple way to flash to the F04 bios from F02 when I no longer have Windows installed? I only have MacOS and Fedora on it now.

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Is there a simple way to flash to the F04 bios from F02 when I no longer have Windows installed? I only have MacOS and Fedora on it now.

from DOS ?

rushtrader

rushtrader

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
How? The upgrade is a WinXP or Win7 executable, or is there a DOS one that I missed?

step2008

step2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
You can use BartPE to start your laptop and flash BIOS

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
I use a much simpler way to install 10.6 from a retail DVD. I'll get it documented soon. Sounds like a lot of work when you use the Netbookinstaller method then the included files...

I hadn't been saying much about the initial install piece as supervisa was going to be doing a write up for a blog I last heard a couple weeks back.

I'll try to get something uploaded to help you get up and going quick that works well for me.

As far as the Compaq vs HP model, there is no difference really... People are using different methods to install and getting different results thats all.

Johnny Fairplay

Johnny Fairplay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

yes...
the RC1 archive is designed for work with mach_atom in EFI partition
NOT in / (root)
move mach_atom in EFI

ciao

I cannot believe I missed that one.. Thank you for the redirect on that one.. I now have a fully functional dual boot Win7 and SL HP 311.. Just waiting for my wifi card to arrive and I am golden.. Thank you to everyone!!

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have installed SL and Win7 with bootcd.iso (with external dvd reader)
i'dont like netbook maker (its not a clean installation)
at the end of installation i get failure for impossibility to reboot directly from SL dvd
its not a problem ( i get a folder in / Mac os Data that i delete after)

shapiros

shapiros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I use a much simpler way to install 10.6 from a retail DVD. I'll get it documented soon. Sounds like a lot of work when you use the Netbookinstaller method then the included files...

I hadn't been saying much about the initial install piece as supervisa was going to be doing a write up for a blog I last heard a couple weeks back.

I'll try to get something uploaded to help you get up and going quick that works well for me.

As far as the Compaq vs HP model, there is no difference really... People are using different methods to install and getting different results thats all.

any chance you could include some instructions on how to install all the necessary exstentions with the new archive in addition to the sl install info? i know that supervisa is supposed to be doing that write up but even something along the lines of a barebones walkthru might help. regardless, thanks so much for everything you've done so far, just knowing that having os x on my 311 was a possibility made me pull the trigger and buy it. can't wait to get xp off of there. thanks again.

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Have a little problem. I tried both the 10.6.2 manual installer and the 10.6.2 combo manual installer and both dont work. I get an error message saying, "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." Any help???

rinseaid

rinseaid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Anyone looking to update the BIOS -- make a bootable Win 7 install as per http://www.thinkcomp...sb-flash-drive/ (you can just download an ISO if you don't own Win 7 from a torrent site or somesuch -- you won't actually install Win 7)

You will then copy the BIOS update file to the root of the flash drive.

Run the Win 7 install flash drive, and hit Shift F10 once you're in there -- it'll bring up a command prompt. Type:

D:

to access the flash drive, press enter, and then type the name of the BIOS update file and hit enter again.

Follow the prompts and you're good to go. Once it's done it will shut down straight away, which is a bit scary, but on my Mini 311 it went through just fine.

Good luck!

Johnny Fairplay

Johnny Fairplay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Has anyone else seen their webcam stop working after RC1? I know that it was working before I updated, and just happened to test it this evening and all I get is a black screen. I am guessing I missed something, but the other thing that that I noticed, not sure if it was there before or not is that the camera is listed as ''USB 2.0 PC Cam"..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

JFP

Johnny Fairplay

Johnny Fairplay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Has anyone else seen their webcam stop working after RC1? I know that it was working before I updated, and just happened to test it this evening and all I get is a black screen. I am guessing I missed something, but the other thing that that I noticed, not sure if it was there before or not is that the camera is listed as ''USB 2.0 PC Cam"..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

JFP

Ok-

Adding detail to my own post.. Strangely, I rebooted and brought up Windows 7 and saw the same issue. I decided to let the bootloader auto select SL and then the problem was gone. I rebooted again back into win7 and again no problems. Maybe a hardware issue? All seems ok for now, if I see it again, I will update this...

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Have a little problem. I tried both the 10.6.2 manual installer and the 10.6.2 combo manual installer and both dont work. I get an error message saying, "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." Any help???

Sounds like an install method related issue... How did you get your OS 10.6 installed originally?

Personally, I am using Boot Think on USB (only to get booted off USB DVD) with and mkext to boot the retail DVD, then since I already have a working EFI partition it boots from there on reboot (thats why its good to have a supported kernel inside) into the OS welcome video... I have a bluetooth mouse that it find right away and I use a USB keyboard until I install the kexts needed for PS2 under /S/L/E and the 10.6.2 combo and reboot. No mess.

Not a bad method however I am working on an installer from within the OS to prepare the EFI partition and install /S/L/E kexts.

I will likely update my initial boot process to get the retail DVD booted.

assassinmi5

assassinmi5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I got snow booting fine from the EFI partition but after i install win7 it installs fully. Do i delete the FAT partition so i can format with NTFS to install? It wont let me install on fat partition. Also after installing, i put active back to EFI partition and i get "Missing Operating System" Not sure what im doing wrong, i fully followed Max's post to dual boot.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
11/09 RC1.5 INSTALLER is the first installer released by this project. Use with caution as it will clear disk0s1 (reserved for EFI use on GPT partitioned drives) and install RC1.5 code in it's place for reliable boot. More will be coming in the way of the installer as well as parallel bundle releases for those who prefer not to use the installer. At this time it will also install it's boot-loader in the first sector of the HD however in subsequent releases this will be broken out as optional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy