• Please log in to reply
1496 replies to this topic

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

10.6.2 does not have Atom support... maybe someone will make it work but for now... the old kernel works with the update

I have a question... I'm really keen on getting a Mini 311, and I am fine with the modifications and lack of audio currently (even if that stays forever). I do have one concern though. No that we know that 10.6.2's kernel blocks Atom support, do people think its still an okay idea to Hackintosh? I need to stay up to date with iWork, and that will normally require the latest version of the OS. Do you think within at least a few weeks/months of an OS update being released, modifications will be done to allow the Atom processors to work with it?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I have a question... I'm really keen on getting a Mini 311, and I am fine with the modifications and lack of audio currently (even if that stays forever). I do have one concern though. No that we know that 10.6.2's kernel blocks Atom support, do people think its still an okay idea to Hackintosh? I need to stay up to date with iWork, and that will normally require the latest version of the OS. Do you think within at least a few weeks/months of an OS update being released, modifications will be done to allow the Atom processors to work with it?

More accurately it "blocks" "undefined" proccessors.

The XNU is open source thus there is no real reason to be too concerened and this has been defined as a relatively easy "check" to lift. Apples changes are transparent and can be lifted.

This is not like the AMD "fiasco" with not being able to execute SSE3.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thank you Proto. Btw, where did your instructions go? They were in a post, then disappeared. I checked out the project thread too but couldn't find it...

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

10.6.2 does not have Atom support... maybe someone will make it work but for now... the old kernel works with the update

Sorry, I missed the part where you copied the old kernel and then renamed after the update. I thought you were telling him to just update to 10.6.2 without using the old kernel, my bad. :)

Just now getting around to the re-install. So to clarify, I can install SL, do the combo update to 10.6.2 and before reboot run the 311.sh and make sure I have the old kernel in place. Does it need to be in the /extra folder off root, or the root directory?

Doh! Never mind, I know where it goes. Right back where you get it from, must of took a stupid pill by mistake this morning. :wacko:

Okay, have completely re-installed. Updated to 10.6.2, ran the 311.sh script, completed successfully, made sure I was using the older kernel and rebooted. Now I get a blank black screen for a long time, then it turns blue after awhile. That is pretty much it. Tried running the update.sh script just in case, still the same results. Maybe you can't go from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2. Is the kernel different in 10.6.0 than 10.6.1? Gee, for something that was supposed to make updates easier, I think the complete opposite has been found.

One more time, I now have 10.6.0 back up and running. Just something about going from 0 to 2 in one step that didn't work, at least for me. I want to try a Dell wifi card I have here to see if it's recognized, at least that will save having to buy another one. After that I will take the upgrade path to 1 and then if that is successful perhaps 2, not totally sure about that yet.

Okay I have inserted the Dell DW 1390 into the full slot and I get airport recognized, but it won't turn on. Is that the problem that taping pin 20 fixes? Also this is a full-sized card and the antenna leads may reach without extensions.

The leads just won't quite reach so I ordered 2-6" extensions. I also tested to make sure it actually connected by taking in near the router and it connects just fine. How is the sound coming along? Where do I put the VoodooHDA.kext to hear some static? Starting to get excited again...

SHiN06

SHiN06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there, i've an issue with my 311 and 10.5.8 leopard
I've installed ideneb 1.6 lite edition with vanilla kernel but my ION chipset doesn't seem to be recognized, i can't set my display up to 1024x768... Any idea of what can i do ?
Thanks a lot

ikeny

ikeny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
To those that have their mini 311 with the stock BT (wifi + BT combo miniPCI), are you able to pair with your iPhone for data tethering?

This post (bottom 2 posts) suggests that the stock BT (at least in Windows 7) does not support A2DP, and therefore won't work with iPhone pairing.
http://myhpmini.com/...php?f=59&t=2508

Could someone please confirm on their hackintoshed mini311 what their stock BT is like. Many, many thanks!

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
11NOV09 archive and new instructions posted for the new structure that does not rely on kext caches being generated by hand.

No sound support in this archive and this archive will likely stick for quite a while without being updated since it's components have proven stable.

To get to the boot menu hit F8 while you see the spinning cursor right after post.

intogamer

intogamer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
sorry to ask but is there any update regarding the walk-through? I'm not a tech guy at all :lol:

kadath

kadath

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The lack of trackpad options means that the trackpad is extremely limited? No multitouch at all?

Would it be smart to invest in an OS X friendly mouse? Maybe the Magic Mouse?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

The lack of trackpad options means that the trackpad is extremely limited? No multitouch at all?

Would it be smart to invest in an OS X friendly mouse? Maybe the Magic Mouse?

No real options like multitouch, dragging and such... Just basic click and move are supported right now.

The magic mouse is pricey but works like a champ with this device.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Quick question:

- Will having the N280 (and the board change as well) have any impact on compatibility or stability with OS X?
- Will BT allow for iPhone tethering? (Tethering is legitimately available here in Canada). I would think this is quite obvious but someone said they read people were having issues? I couldn't find anything in a search...

Thanks in advance!

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I am having problm wth QE, the boot file from 11NOV version gives me blank screen in 10.6.2
If used latest version of chameleon, I could get a screen but no QE etc
It was working fine with 10.6.0, but when I updated to 10.6.1 there was an error and I have to shutdown the computer.
Trying to debug the situation, I boot using the install image and continue to upgrade to 10.6.2

Is there anything that I missed? Currently I am using 11NOV files

Edit: I nuked the OS X partition from the orbit to have version 10.6.0, now t works again. Now, I am creating image of that partition before updating to the higher vesion.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
Attached or linked file descriptions (For use with Snow Leopard - adachis 's hosting is working again):

Browse the archive if the current build isn't stable on your device

14NOV09 Archive 10.6.0/1 or 10.6.2: (linked) (CURRENT - PLEASE TEST - SHOULD BE MOST STABLE YET)
/Archive/boot -> /Volumes/EFI (static)
/Archive/boot0 -> /Volumes/EFI (used in script only)
/Archive/boot1h -> /Volumes/EFI (used in script only)

/Archive/mach_atom -> / (semi-static - patched kernel resides in 10.6.2 archive only)

/Archive/Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra (dynamic)
/Archive/Extras/dsdt.aml -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra (static)
/Archive/Extras/smbios.plist -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra (static)
/Archive/Extras/Themes/Default -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra (static)

/Archive/Extras/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions (static)
/Archive/Extras/Extensions/fakesmc.kext -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions (semi-static - new keys often needed with OS updates)
/Archive/Extras/Extensions/HDAIDT.kext -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions (static)
/Archive/Extras/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions (static)
/Archive/Extras/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions (semi-static - new build often needed with kernel updates)
/Archive/Extras/Extensions/VoodooBattery.kext -> /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions (static)

/Archive/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext -> /System/Library/Extensions (static)
/Archive/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPowerMini.kext -> /System/Library/Extensions (static)

MowgliBook is hosting some great install files as well for the HP Mini 311 taking a different approach

Quick question:

- Will having the N280 (and the board change as well) have any impact on compatibility or stability with OS X?
- Will BT allow for iPhone tethering? (Tethering is legitimately available here in Canada). I would think this is quite obvious but someone said they read people were having issues? I couldn't find anything in a search...

Thanks in advance!

You will not have an issue with either of those. I am running the N280 and changing the board should not cause an issue.

BT is BT, it either works or it doesn't. Ours works as it is from Broadcom and using USB unlike Toshiba and such. It supports BT DUN profile.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Attached or linked file descriptions (For use with Snow Leopard - adachis 's hosting is working again):

Browse the archive if the current build isn't stable on your device

14NOV09 Archive 10.6.0/1 or 10.6.2: (linked) (CURRENT - PLEASE TEST - SHOULD BE MOST STABLE YET)

somehow the patched 10.6.2 kernel doesnt work in my unit.
KP during boot with something bout Sleepenabler in the message

I am using 10.6.0 vanilla kernel now and seems alright (sleep, QE/CI)

Before upgrading to 10.6.2 I tried the 14nov archiver for 10.6.1 but got sleep problem/cannot resume.
Whereas using the 11nov files the unit is able to sleep and resume by pressing a key.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

somehow the patched 10.6.2 kernel doesnt work in my unit.
KP during boot with something bout Sleepenabler in the message

I am using 10.6.0 vanilla kernel now and seems alright (sleep, QE/CI)

Before upgrading to 10.6.2 I tried the 14nov archiver for 10.6.1 but got sleep problem/cannot resume.
Whereas using the 11nov files the unit is able to sleep and resume by pressing a key.

This is because you didn't update sleepenabler for the kernel, this was in the 10.6.2 archive. it is tied to the kernel release.

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

This is because you didn't update sleepenabler for the kernel, this was in the 10.6.2 archive. it is tied to the kernel release.

thx u theproto, with the new sleep enabler i am able to boot with 10.6.2 patched but resume after sleep doesn't work, i only got black screen and caps lock is on.

using mowglibook files yield the same results.

so i am back with efi 10.4, kernel 10.6.0, archive 11nov, i added/updated the files related to the audio and it works
however sleep with usb/sd card attached is not working, even with -v

fyi my unit the basic canadian model with 2gb ram added

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

thx u theproto, with the new sleep enabler i am able to boot with 10.6.2 patched but resume after sleep doesn't work, i only got black screen and caps lock is on.

using mowglibook files yield the same results.

so i am back with efi 10.4, kernel 10.6.0, archive 11nov, i added/updated the files related to the audio and it works
however sleep with usb/sd card attached is not working, even with -v

fyi my unit the basic canadian model with 2gb ram added

Add -v to the kernel flags. You, myself and many others need to boot in verbose mode... New archive coming as well.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
HP Mini 311 Darwin Project 11/09 RC1 - STABLE RELEASE CANDIDATE - REPLACE ALL FILES WITH NEW RELEASE

11/09 RC1 marks the start of an official release structure that contains a change-log and goes through RC testing prior to deeming it a release. This release will bring you stability not experienced before on this device with hibernation, sleep, resume fully functioning without USB tricks, the start of a theme and tested files. Replace ALL current files with this new release, versions have been bumped and changes have been made to a number of these files. Leave no remnants of older releases present on your system.

Visit the project thread to download this release

Johnny Fairplay

Johnny Fairplay

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Again to echo the thank you to the guys doing all of the heavy lifting on this.. This is my first Hackintosh project and it is amazing how well it has gone for me. I have a functioning 311 (minus wifi), as a result I have two questions:

1. If I purchase a BCM94321 wifi card and install, is there anything else I need to do to get wifi working?
2. I have been looking for a set of instructions on how to setup a dual boot so I can also host Windows 7 on the unit. I have seen a few guides, but since I already have a functioning SL 6.2 OS running, can I simply add Win7 without having to start over? I attempted previously and it did not go well, any pointers?

Thanks again!!!

JFP

assassinmi5

assassinmi5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hello, (EDIT)

I have gotten everything running but unsure on how to get the update 10.6.2 so i can use the new RC. After I put back the kernel and reboot my machine gets stuck going from an HP loop and doesnt boot. I just reinstalled the OS and im unsure how to update to 10.6.2. The only issue I had from 10.6.0 is the sleep issue. I kept getting a KP upon waking.

Also what is the quickest way to get dual boot. Ive tried several ways but i keep messing up my system and having to reinstall. I install using netbook maker.

----EDIT-----

Ok saw the guide up above to use 311.sh and stuff. Everytime i run the updater that i downloaded from the link it tells me "This volume does not complete the requirements for this update. Not sure what im missing. Do i have to go to 10.6.1 first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy