• Please log in to reply
1496 replies to this topic

scant

scant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

There maybe a card that offers N+BT, but it hasn't been tested, so you'd have to buy it and see if it works for you.

The shipping N+BT cards have BT physically on the mini-PCI cards, but are connected via internal USB?

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Well, I thought I had it, was booting from the HD and everything looked fine. I hooked up an ethernet cable and did the update to 10.6.1 only to have a loop of some sort when it rebooted. It would come up to the desktop and the dock would appear and then I saw the clock spinning and go to blue screen, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, etc. So now I am doing a re-install of 10.6 directly onto the HD this time. Last time was a clone from my flash drive install, so perhaps this will work better. I hope so, I really liked the way it looked.

That happened to me too... after updating to 10.6.1 and rebooting I too got the endless loop.... ;)

But instead of redoing the entire thing, all you needed to do was to reboot and boot into safe mode by pressing q then backspace then type -x

then when it logs in, you have to type your password.... it took a little while for the keyboard to start working but then it did...

then just follow the instructions on the front page:
How-to maintain kext cache with archive release 7NOV09 and later (do after update installs BEFORE rebooting):
Mount the Chameleon EFI partition used for booting PC EFI
Build/rebuild kernel extension cache against extra and vanilla
Unmount the EFI partition and clean up the system after each use.

SO THIS IS THE CODE YOU NEED TO TYPE:
sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
sudo touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Drivers
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Drivers
sudo kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Drivers /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/EFI
sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/EFI
sudo fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

Then reboot and it will work! :D

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Thanks, I will give that a try.

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
great work with this install guide PROTO! and EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS WORKING ON THIS!!!! ;)

I followed the instructions on the front page of the development and now have a working hp mini 311 with snow leopard 10.6.1

I ordered the dell card and extensions and hope to get them running for wireless, in the meantime I am using an Encore Electronics 802.11g wireless adapter, and it works for wireless...

The only thing that isn't working great for me yet is the audio.. (works using the voodoo kexts but is choppy and has lots of static) CANT WAIT TILL YOU GUYS FIGURE OUT THE AUDIO PROBLEM!!! :D :) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! :)

I also would like to be able to play 1080p video files smoothly.... but I can't complain. I have enabled QE using osX86 tools and it is still choppy.... any suggestions?

Other than the occasional KP upon resuming from sleep I think this thing is close to complete!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Went through and typed all of the instructions as they appear and I still have the loop. Looks like I will have to start over from scratch again. Is this necessary each time an update is performed or just OS updates?

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Went through and typed all of the instructions as they appear and I still have the loop. Looks like I will have to start over from scratch again. Is this necessary each time an update is performed or just OS updates?

as far as I know just os updates...
thats weird that it didn't work for you...
maybe try it again but before you start typing the code type sudo -s and put your password in... thats the only thing that I didn't mention that I did differently

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I also would like to be able to play 1080p video files smoothly.... but I can't complain. I have enabled QE using osX86 tools and it is still choppy.... any suggestions?

Absolutely agree. :)
I want to bye 311 ,and smooth 1080p playback is really important to me))
I will adore it))
Thanks Proto, Supervisa &Others for unbelievable work.It just amazing.
Good luck in audio and stability issues.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

The shipping N+BT cards have BT physically on the mini-PCI cards, but are connected via internal USB?

I don't know how you inferred that from my quote :( but that's something someone else will have to answer, since I don't have one of these things. Why do you need to know? You can just get a stock G+BT model from HP and buy a Dell 1510 card for N... You'll use the BT from the HP card (ignoring the fact that it has G), and you'll get N from the Dell card.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

as far as I know just os updates...
thats weird that it didn't work for you...
maybe try it again but before you start typing the code type sudo -s and put your password in... thats the only thing that I didn't mention that I did differently

I got distracted by other things and probably won't come back to it until I'm in a better mood about it. I plan to do a complete re-install of Snow Leopard and this time I will update to 10.6.1 before I do the necessary terminal commands.

I don't know about everyone else, but this seems to be a lot of trouble to go through if the only purpose is to keep the OS as vanilla as possible. After all, I thought the purpose was so that updates would not be a problem. And here on the first update, wham! All kinds of problems. Might not be quite as bad if the update commands were in a shell script which could be run prior to rebooting after an update. Perhaps when superviza comes out with his guide that may be a possibility, hmmm?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I got distracted by other things and probably won't come back to it until I'm in a better mood about it. I plan to do a complete re-install of Snow Leopard and this time I will update to 10.6.1 before I do the necessary terminal commands.

I don't know about everyone else, but this seems to be a lot of trouble to go through if the only purpose is to keep the OS as vanilla as possible. After all, I thought the purpose was so that updates would not be a problem. And here on the first update, wham! All kinds of problems. Might not be quite as bad if the update commands were in a shell script which could be run prior to rebooting after an update. Perhaps when superviza comes out with his guide that may be a possibility, hmmm?

You will to install 10.6, then download the 10.6.1 update package from the apple site, run the installer, before clicking reboot execute the commands in the update section pointed out, after that is done click reboot.

This is really needed for anything that updates kexts. I recommend after any OS updates, there are exceptions like VMware Fusion and such that have kexts as well. It takes about 1 minutes and you really rarely need to updates the OS.

You are correct. The PCIe and MiniPCIe spec calls for USB 2.0 host controller access. This is what WWAN cards are using today as well.

shapiros

shapiros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
so i'm trying to follow the instructions on the first part of the project thread and i seem to be running into a couple problems. everything goes fine when i run the terminal commands but when i get to the part where i "Build/rebuild kernel extension cache against extra and vanilla" and type in sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Drivers, i get an error saying that no such folder can be found. i didnt know if this was normal or not so i continued with the rest of the steps, restarted, and of course nothing seems to have changed, except that i have a trackpad and voodoops2 option in the extras in my system preferences, but my mouse still doesnt work so im guessing i did nothing to actually modify any system files.

is there a step that im missing here, do i need to move the kexts into a system folder other than the 7nov09archive folder thats sitting on my desktop right now?

any help on how to get this up and running would be appreciated, i'm new to some of the more complex terminal stuff so i'm sorry if this is a laughable problem and easily fixed. thanks again for all your help.

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

so i'm trying to follow the instructions on the first part of the project thread and i seem to be running into a couple problems. everything goes fine when i run the terminal commands but when i get to the part where i "Build/rebuild kernel extension cache against extra and vanilla" and type in sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Drivers, i get an error saying that no such folder can be found. i didnt know if this was normal or not so i continued with the rest of the steps, restarted, and of course nothing seems to have changed, except that i have a trackpad and voodoops2 option in the extras in my system preferences, but my mouse still doesnt work so im guessing i did nothing to actually modify any system files.

is there a step that im missing here, do i need to move the kexts into a system folder other than the 7nov09archive folder thats sitting on my desktop right now?

any help on how to get this up and running would be appreciated, i'm new to some of the more complex terminal stuff so i'm sorry if this is a laughable problem and easily fixed. thanks again for all your help.

I made two scripts that from the instructions on the front page of the technical development page... they should work for you

the first one is called 311.sh
to use it place the unextracted archive downloaded from the front page of the technical development page "7nov09archive" on the root of your hard-drive (not the desktop). Then rename the folder to "Archive"

open up terminal and type sudo -s followed by your password

drag the 311.sh file from the unextracted archive in this post to terminal and hit enter.... wait for a while.....

once it gets finished reboot and download the 10.6.1 update and install it... BEFORE you reboot open terminal and type sudo -s followed by your password and then click and drag the update.sh script file into terminal and hit enter.... wait until it finishes and restart...

That is exactly what I did and it worked...

Attached Files

Nico2k44

Nico2k44

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone!

I can just ask you a question because I can not run the wireless though I have installed a compatible card in the Compaq Mini 311.

When I want to turn the wifi via the hardware button is still orange I can not make the switch to blue then mac osx does not recognize.

Thank you in advance for your help!

For information, I took the card from my Compaq Mini 700 that runs on OSX (I tested on Windows 7, the card works well in the 311).

Nico

aikidoka25

aikidoka25

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
To Superviza (or others in the know):
I am a bit confused, if I removed the current stock G only half card and put BCM94321 in the full slot, do I have to cover the pin 20 and get the U.FL antenna as well?

Reason for removing the stock card because it is only a Wifi card no bluetooth.

Or is there any others compatible N card with Bluetooth?

Cheers

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts

I made two scripts that from the instructions on the front page of the technical development page... they should work for you

to use it place the unextracted archive downloaded from the front page of the technical development page "7nov09archive" on the root of your hard-drive (not the desktop). Then rename the folder to "Archive"

drag the 311.sh file from the unextracted archive in this post to terminal and hit enter.... wait for a while.....

once it gets finished reboot and download the 10.6.1 update and install it... BEFORE you reboot open terminal and type sudo -s followed by your password and then click and drag the update.sh script file into terminal and hit enter.... wait until it finishes and restart...

Thanks James, now that's what I'm talin' about! I'm not adept at writing scripts, but I figured there was an easier way to do this. Much, much better...

shapiros

shapiros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Wow, thank you so much for that. After doing that, I now have the correct resolution and am updated to 10.6.1. The only things that don't seem to work are the trackpad and the battery. The trackpad doesn't recognize any input and the battery indication in the status bar shows an X and says no battery found.

Do I need to activate the kexts somehow or reinstall them? Also I can't figure out how to get an icon for my HD to show up on my desktop. Not a huge deal since I can get to it from a finder window, but I figured I'd ask while I'm here.

Again, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
It's in the Finder preferences. Just select show hard drives. HTH

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Wow, thank you so much for that. After doing that, I now have the correct resolution and am updated to 10.6.1. The only things that don't seem to work are the trackpad and the battery. The trackpad doesn't recognize any input and the battery indication in the status bar shows an X and says no battery found.

Do I need to activate the kexts somehow or reinstall them? Also I can't figure out how to get an icon for my HD to show up on my desktop. Not a huge deal since I can get to it from a finder window, but I figured I'd ask while I'm here.

Again, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

for the hard drive to show up on the desktop like it used to in Leopard you have to open finder and go to preferences... there is a box that says Show hard disks...

its weird that in snow leopard they changed it... I guess to make the desktop look more "clean"??? see attached screen shot...

also if you can't find preferences just open finder and click
command ,
or in the case with the 311 the key left of the space bar titled "alt" and "comma"
alt ,

That is also weird about your battery not being shown... maybe try and update to 10.6.2 by following these instructions:

first make it so you can see all files in finder by typing into terminal:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

then go to the root of your hdd and duplicate "mach_kernel" (it will be greyed out/hidden) and right click to get info, change the filename to mach_kernel_bak

download the 10.6.2 update ( http://support.apple...SXUpd10.6.2.dmg ) and install.... when it asked me to restart I tried to open terminal but it wouldn't open for some reason... if it lets you open terminal... great... it wouldn't let me so I just restarted and when it got to the chameleon bootloader I hit typed:
q then hit backspace and typed mach_kernel_bak -x Waited for it to start up .... it took a while but eventually it booted to where I put in my password.

I then use the 311.sh script that I made and is attached to this post that basically takes the typing work out of updating the stuff.

make sure that the nov709 (or whatever the current archive is on the front page) archive is extracted and placed on the root of the HDD and the folder is renamed to "Archive"

I opened terminal typed:
sudo -s
then type your password.
then drag the 311.sh script from this post to terminal and hit enter.

wait for it to finish and then copy the new kernel to the desktop and renamed it to mach_kernel_new and then delete mach_kernel from the root of the HDD and then rename mach_kernel_bak back to mach_kernel

Then make the hidden files unhidden again by typing
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
killall Finder

RESTART AND IT SHOULD WORK FINE!!!! :)

Attached Files

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Ummm, did I miss something or didn't 10.6.2 kill Atom support? Just read Stella's blog and it said it is official. Might want to hold up on 10.6.2 unless we are still using the old kernel.

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/

james Vreeken

james Vreeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Ummm, did I miss something or didn't 10.6.2 kill Atom support? Just read Stella's blog and it said it is official. Might want to hold up on 10.6.2 unless we are still using the old kernel.

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/

10.6.2 does not have Atom support... maybe someone will make it work but for now... the old kernel works with the update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy