• Please log in to reply
1496 replies to this topic

scant

scant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Your stock G+BT or N+BT will stay in the slot it came with, but only the BT portion of it will be usable in OS X.

Is there a replacement N+BT card that works?

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Both stock cards work with Bluetooth. Since there are two slots, you would use the original slot with the stock card for Bluetooth, and the other a dell 1510 with wireless N. So you can get N+BT But it requires two cards

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Any Help???

Just drop the new kernel in the system root and then edit the com.apple.boot.plist and change the mach_kernel value to whatever the new value is.
repair permissions and reboot.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
ok this is wierd. I can't stop my screensaver from coming on. I set it to never come on and next thing I know. Poof it's on.
The good thing is I can change what screensaver comes on, but I don't want a screensaver. Anyone know what could cause this?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

ok this is wierd. I can't stop my screensaver from coming on. I set it to never come on and next thing I know. Poof it's on.
The good thing is I can change what screensaver comes on, but I don't want a screensaver. Anyone know what could cause this?

Interesting, I've never had that issue before. I don't think its specific to the 311 however.

Did you install 10.5 and upgrade it to 10.6 or did you install 10.5 and install 10.6 to a new partition, or did you just install 10.6 directly?

If you did option 1 (not recommended) I could see how some broken config files could exist somehow. Again, I haven't done any searches myself.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Interesting, I've never had that issue before. I don't think its specific to the 311 however.

Did you install 10.5 and upgrade it to 10.6 or did you install 10.5 and install 10.6 to a new partition, or did you just install 10.6 directly?

If you did option 1 (not recommended) I could see how some broken config files could exist somehow. Again, I haven't done any searches myself.

I did a clean upgrade. In fact it only just started happening after I removed the NVinabler.kext. Really weird.

meyergreen

meyergreen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
For those of you that are looking for a cheaper alternative for the extensions. I purchased some of the apple antennas on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=390108162027) and some U.FL connectors from sparkfun (http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9144). The connectors are surface mount but I didn't have much trouble cutting the wire to the antenna and soldering it onto the surface mount connector. It's probably not the most durable thing but it shouldn't see much abuse inside the machine. The nice thing is it only cost about $3.50 (plus some shipping) and I could make it much shorter than 6 inches since it didn't seem like it would be easy to find a place to stow all that extra wire in my machine.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello guys!))
Please tell me(if you have stable sytem),does quicktime x play video normally?
And what about smooth 1080p playback(ofcourse in s l)?
How much video memory does hp mini 311 have(with 3 gb of ram)
Please answer me.
Thank you

scant

scant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for answering my bluetooth question. Is there a replacement wireless N + BT card that works so I can have wireless + bluetooth and 1 free slot?

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Thank you for answering my bluetooth question. Is there a replacement wireless N + BT card that works so I can have wireless + bluetooth and 1 free slot?

As far as I know, nothing that has been tested. Most people testing (mainly supervisa, theproto, two other ppl forgot names) were fine with taking up both slots... There maybe a card that offers N+BT, but it hasn't been tested, so you'd have to buy it and see if it works for you.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Okay, I Have a 32 Gb flash drive which I've partitioned into a 9 Gb first partition which has the Snow Leopard install image on it and a second 21 Gb partition which I want to use as a test install for the 311. I used the NetbookBootMaker app to make it bootable and am presently installing SL onto the 2nd partition. My question is, how do I go about removing the NBBM stuff and putting the 311 boot files in their place? I have no idea of how to get to or access the EFI partition. BTW, I have a working 10.5.8 install on the internal HD and don't want to mess that up.

Edit: Finally, I have it installed and I can actually see what 1366x768x32 (with QE) looks like on this system. Not too shabby. Had to clone the flash drive install over to a partition on the HD as running from the flash drive was way too slow. I still have to boot via the flash drive, but the OS itself is running from the HD. Now if I could get the HD to boot on it's own I would have it made. Unfortunately it won't, even after installing Chameleon 2 RC3. It comes up with my first partition shown, hitting a key gives me the choice between 2 partitions, but neither one will boot. It just loops back to the same screen. I've tried every option also, just won't boot without the flash drive. Obviously the flash drive has the correct items installed as I get the right video, etc. I'll keep playing with it I suppose.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
Project post updated to reflect the following (recommended for all users):

7NOV09_Archive.zip: (attached) (CURRENT - TESTED) - PS2 driver replaced, DSDT USB fix, PF EFI downgraded to 10.4.1 for CPU ID, back to vanilla mach_kernel for stability, etc.

NVDAResmanDisabler.kext.zip: (attached) (CURRENT - TESTING EFFECTIVENESS)
/NVDAResmanDisabler.kext - Disabler used to prevent NVDAResman.kext from crashing system on resume (TESTING)

How-to use archive release 7NOV09 and later assuming Apple GPT (rough draft)

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Thanks Proto, this is exactly what I needed. I've been searching on google most of the day to find out how to get everything on the EFI partition. Not a lot of info out there on it, but I did see where PCWiz is/was working on an editor for the EFI partition. That would be so cool if he ever comes through with that.

BTW, I remember reading about someone using their wifi card from the mini 1000 in their 311 and it worked. Was this in the half sized slot or full sized slot? I don't mind replacing the card, but I'm not sure my eyes will allow me to do the close work required for taping a pin and I had a bunch of trouble getting those antenna connectors reconnected, so I would really rather avoid those extensions if at all possible.

Really love the display at the proper res with QE enabled, makes all the difference in the world. Thanks again!

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Thanks Proto, this is exactly what I needed. I've been searching on google most of the day to find out how to get everything on the EFI partition. Not a lot of info out there on it, but I did see where PCWiz is/was working on an editor for the EFI partition. That would be so cool if he ever comes through with that.

BTW, I remember reading about someone using their wifi card from the mini 1000 in their 311 and it worked. Was this in the half sized slot or full sized slot? I don't mind replacing the card, but I'm not sure my eyes will allow me to do the close work required for taping a pin and I had a bunch of trouble getting those antenna connectors reconnected, so I would really rather avoid those extensions if at all possible.

Really love the display at the proper res with QE enabled, makes all the difference in the world. Thanks again!

Good to hear! Thought I'd put something up there to help folks use the files (just the meat) while supervisa is writing a full howto for the general user (ground up).

Isn't the LED backlit display crisp? I prefer it to the monitor I hook it up to at my desk (doesn't help that the VGA out is a bit fuzzy, while the HDMI post being digital is crisp as well).

Hope someone has a first hand answer for you on the WiFi card from the 1000.

At this point we really have a truly pristine install just lacking audio. I am thinking about giving the Azalia stuff a go if we get nowhere on the AppleHDA side.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
I saw some very cryptic references in my search on formatting the EFI partition and such, but this makes it much easier as I can just type in the commands and go. I'll look forward to superviza's guide as well, you guys are the best.

Crisp does describe it very well. I have not tried it with the HDMI output yet, I have dual 24" ASUS monitors which do HDMI. I also have an older Acer 22" monitor in the middle for a 3 display desktop. All 3 are hooked to both my GA-EP45-UD3P and GA-P35-DS3L systems and each is able to display output from either system at any given time.

Yeah I nearly ruined my Toshiba laptop trying to get wireless working on it, those little connectors can be very difficult to get hooked back up. I remember someone saying the 1000 card worked, but I don't believe they ever specified which slot they used.

I've yet to hear any audio from this thing, other than from XP when I still had the original HD in it. As I recall it didn't sound too bad for as small as it is. Hope that can be worked out, but given the fact that the stock wifi card works so well in 10.5 but not at all in 10.6, I don't see anything as a certainty.

Appreciate all your hard work and time involved in this project, should be worth it if everything will work as it makes an excellent netbook.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I prefer it to the monitor I hook it up to at my desk (doesn't help that the VGA out is a bit fuzzy, while the HDMI post being digital is crisp as well).

VGA out is fuzzy? {censored}! I wanted to use this for Keynote presentations; no good? (and most of these projectors I use don't have HDMI)

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

VGA out is fuzzy? {censored}! I wanted to use this for Keynote presentations; no good? (and most of these projectors I use don't have HDMI)

Ok, fuzzy is a strong word... You can tell it is analog. I wouldn't get concerned at all.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Ok, fuzzy is a strong word... You can tell it is analog. I wouldn't get concerned at all.

Oh I see. So viewers looking at a 1024x800 slide from at least 30-40 feet away won't notice too much?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Oh I see. So viewers looking at a 1024x800 slide from at least 30-40 feet away won't notice too much?

Not at all, I'm driving a 1440x900 display through analog and am complaining about a little saturation I don't get with DVI.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
Well, I thought I had it, was booting from the HD and everything looked fine. I hooked up an ethernet cable and did the update to 10.6.1 only to have a loop of some sort when it rebooted. It would come up to the desktop and the dock would appear and then I saw the clock spinning and go to blue screen, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, etc. So now I am doing a re-install of 10.6 directly onto the HD this time. Last time was a clone from my flash drive install, so perhaps this will work better. I hope so, I really liked the way it looked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy