• Please log in to reply
1496 replies to this topic

assassinmi5

assassinmi5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have been following the technical Support thread since the late month of october. I have been running the Mini 311 and have successfully got everything installed besides sound and HDMI port. (I see you are working keep up the good work ^^) What I am inquiring about is that the Mini seems to be running very slow during HD Videos. Is this the nature of the NVenabler kext or is it an issue with my configuration. I have the 3 gigs of ram. Everything runs fine except video. Even the start video for 10.6 is laggy. Is it because I do not have Quartz Extreme enabled? If so, could you give me some advice on how to get that enabled? I am not quite sure outside of OSX86 Tools.

Thanks guys!

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
New archive added to project thread 03NOV09, you will want to use this. Removed NVEnabler in favor of Graphics Enabler via PC EFI. DSDT fixes... I have been having issues uploading it however I think I have finally been able to.

I was set on getting a 311 for Hackintosh, until I thought more deeply into the 10.6.2 issue. At first, I thought 'who cares about 10.6.2...10.6.1 is good enough.' Now I'm thinking that many new pieces of software that will come out in the future (especially from Apple) are going to need 10.6.2+ to run. What does everyone think about that? I'm more hesitant now that I think about that factor. Maybe I'll have to get another MacBook Air after all?

Well... We need to make sure it wasn't just a bad build and then weigh the possibility of using alternative kernels such as the SSE2 folks have needed to do.

I have been following the technical Support thread since the late month of october. I have been running the Mini 311 and have successfully got everything installed besides sound and HDMI port. (I see you are working keep up the good work ^^) What I am inquiring about is that the Mini seems to be running very slow during HD Videos. Is this the nature of the NVenabler kext or is it an issue with my configuration. I have the 3 gigs of ram. Everything runs fine except video. Even the start video for 10.6 is laggy. Is it because I do not have Quartz Extreme enabled? If so, could you give me some advice on how to get that enabled? I am not quite sure outside of OSX86 Tools.

Thanks guys!

Once I can finally get this archive uploaded you may want to try HDMI and its performance if it works as anticipated.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I posted a question earlier, but I guess it got buried. Sorry for repeating it. Put short: If I get a Mini W/O Bluetooth, can I somehow add an internal BT chip while I'm adding the Dell 1510 or Broadcom half-size card? Perhaps remove the stock G Wifi and put in a BT or BT/Wifi module?

Thanks!

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I posted a question earlier, but I guess it got buried. Sorry for repeating it. Put short: If I get a Mini W/O Bluetooth, can I somehow add an internal BT chip while I'm adding the Dell 1510 or Broadcom half-size card? Perhaps remove the stock G Wifi and put in a BT or BT/Wifi module?

Thanks!

The full size slot is clear of whitelists so you can do whatever you wish there. The half size slot has a whitelist.

I use the stock BT/WiFI card in the halfsize slot for BT only and the open full sized slot for the actual WiFi that works with SL vanilla.

This is a solid configuration.

This has been answered in further depth in the longer thread so it may be a good read.

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I use the stock BT/WiFI card in the halfsize slot for BT only and the open full sized slot for the actual WiFi that works with SL vanilla.

Thanks a lot! Any chance you could link me to a eBay listing of the stock BT/WiFi card I could use? Sorry I searched through eBay but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for....Or even an exact name? Thanks again!

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I was set on getting a 311 for Hackintosh, until I thought more deeply into the 10.6.2 issue. At first, I thought 'who cares about 10.6.2...10.6.1 is good enough.' Now I'm thinking that many new pieces of software that will come out in the future (especially from Apple) are going to need 10.6.2+ to run. What does everyone think about that? I'm more hesitant now that I think about that factor. Maybe I'll have to get another MacBook Air after all?

I wouldn't worry too much about 10.6.2. Remember this is only a beta, they've removed support only to re-add it in the final. Plus if they don't add support I'm sure the community will get atom support back in a new kernel.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
@theproto the NOV09EFI_Root copied as is asks for the Mach_Modbin kernel. it's not included in the archive.

Edit : I've loaded the NVIDIA.rom and perhaps i'm missing something but with this There is no QE?

Edit 2: I used OSx86 tools to try an enable QE, but this failed.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

@theproto the NOV09EFI_Root copied as is asks for the Mach_Modbin kernel. it's not included in the archive.

Edit : I've loaded the NVIDIA.rom and perhaps i'm missing something but with this There is no QE?

Edit 2: I used OSx86 tools to try an enable QE, but this failed.

Have you replaced ALL the files with the ones provided? This is imnportant as the boot plist, DSDT and extensions have changes as well.

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Have you replaced ALL the files with the ones provided? This is imnportant as the boot plist, DSDT and extensions have changes as well.

my setup is a little different so I didn't use all the files. No worries though, I just added the EFI string and everything is good again.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

my setup is a little different so I didn't use all the files. No worries though, I just added the EFI string and everything is good again.

There is no need for an EFI string. If you use PC EFI 10.5 with graphics enabler and the ROM you should be much better off without any strings.

EDIT: The ROM is not actually being used. DO NOT USE IT, in fact PC EFI 10.5 is capable of driving this device's video perfectly by itself.

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hey Proto, do you mind posting the two scripts to run in terminal before upgrading the 10.6.1?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
Hello!!! Anyone???

I am looking for a return hand here!

If you are using my latest archive and have a stable system you can resume from (yes, I know you are out there as you are talking about ethernet not working after resuming and such but your system is up and running) please zip up all your files, let me know what booter you are using and how you initially installed as I would really like to take a look at them since I cannot get myself a stable system after resume and others here using files I posted clearly have.

I am very serious. I cannot move on to other things until this is stable after sleep and that I am lacking at the moment. Again, I know you are out there and I have contributed a lot of time here.

Lightsout565 - With the latest archive I use only /E/E without the need for the one extension needing to be built into cache (NVEnabler that was).

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Never had to replace a kernel before. How would one replace the existing mach kernel with the new modbin kernel? Once I have everything up and running with the latest archive I'll let you know my results ASAP.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 881 posts
So as not to distract too much from the focus (Snow Leopard) of this discussion, I have started a new thread for installing Leopard on the HP mini 311. So if you would rather not change your wifi card you can join in the discussion here:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=196029

I'd like to thank superviza and theproto (as well as all the others involved), for their work on this project and wish them continued success in their quest to get 10.6 running top notch on the 311. :D

efegue

efegue

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Do we have GPU Decoding in OSX for mkv's?
Cheers

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
@theproto: you had a post on the project thread on the 3rd celebrating your success about stability. So was your system stable for a while and then went crazy again? I am no expert on hackintoshing, but do you think possibly the difference between stable vs. unstable could be because of CPU (N270 vs. N280) and RAM? (1GB vs. actually using the RAM slot). I know in OS X, KP is, in many scenarios, attributed to logic board failure or RAM issue...

Lightsout565

Lightsout565

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Never had to replace a kernel before. How would one replace the existing mach kernel with the new modbin kernel? Once I have everything up and running with the latest archive I'll let you know my results ASAP.

Any Help???

scant

scant

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm thinking about getting a HP 311, but I would like internal bluetooth. Should I customize the HP 311 with a Wireless-G Card + Bluetooth or Wireless-N Card + Bluetooth? If I remove the wireless card to replace it do I lose bluetooth? Thanks and cheers!

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I'm thinking about getting a HP 311, but I would like internal bluetooth. Should I customize the HP 311 with a Wireless-G Card + Bluetooth or Wireless-N Card + Bluetooth? If I remove the wireless card to replace it do I lose bluetooth? Thanks and cheers!

Lucky you, being able to CTO from HP directly -_-

You can order the G card since it'll be cheaper, and you won't use it anyway. You are going to get an additional card (I believe they are G-only) and put it into another slot. Your stock G+BT or N+BT will stay in the slot it came with, but only the BT portion of it will be usable in OS X.

shapiros

shapiros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
this is probably a very silly question, but this is the support thread, so i'm going to ask it here.

got my hp 311 today, installed sl on it, things look ok so far. i need to install the files that i downloaded from this thread in the "efi root" folder onto my machine somehow. can i get some clarification on how i do this? i think i'm supposed to replace some of the kexts on my machine with the ones in efi root/extras/extensions but i am not sure what to do with boot or nvdia.rom.

if anyone would care to type up a quick set of instructions on how to do this i'd appreciate it and i bet i wouldnt be the only one. thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy