• Please log in to reply
1496 replies to this topic

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts
Discussion place for HP Mini 311 - Level 1 questions/enquiries

Please use this thread to ask your questions in relation to the Mini 311.

Technical development discussion is over at:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195381

FAQ:

Q: Is there a step by step walk through for getting Snow Leopard on the 311 ?

No not yet however on is in the making. I have been approached by a blog to write one due to high demand. Should be up in the next week or two.

Q: Where can I buy UF L extension leads for the 311 antenna ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=195381&view=findpost&p=1317229

Q: So I know I need to cover pin 20 to get Wi-Fi working, what pin is pin 20 ?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=189621&view=findpost&p=1313559

maxtools

maxtools

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi

i'm on 10.6.1 with all suggested file "Theproto" on the main thread
used Netbookinstaller netbookmaker 0.83 method for install snow
then change the file in Extra, boot, smbios ecc ecc

i have a problem with sleep when usb device are plugged in (no sleep and disconnection
error of device (like usb key, hard disk )

webcam (maybe hardware problems) is very dark
see this
http://h30434.www3.h...g...ding&page=1

any software for controlling the brightness in osx ?

another question is:
the fun always run (it's normal?)

i don't see any bonjours device when i use digicom usb wave 54 dongle for external wifi
with wired ethernet ok

wired ethernet lost connection on sleep resume

all non mentioned things work very well (graphics, wired ethernet, usb, restart, ecc..)

superviza make a miracle for audio!!!

thank you

ikeny

ikeny

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
USB Bluetooth good for SL?

All models of mini 311 on sale in Canada do not include bluetooth. If I were to get a usb mini BT dongle, e.g., Kensington, would that play nicely with Snow Leopard? Would that create any issue with sleep?

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

USB Bluetooth good for SL?

All models of mini 311 on sale in Canada do not include bluetooth. If I were to get a usb mini BT dongle, e.g., Kensington, would that play nicely with Snow Leopard? Would that create any issue with sleep?

USB bluetooth is good to go provided that you use a supported BT chipset. There really isn't a list to my knowledge and this is no HP Mini 311 specific but I can tell you, stick with CSR and Broadcom based chipsets for the best experience.

Look in the forums for BT device support, most devices work just fine. I use a Belkin on my desktop that works like a champ with BT 2.1.

No need to post in this topic as it is not 311 specific.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

hi

i'm on 10.6.1 with all suggested file "Theproto" on the main thread
used Netbookinstaller netbookmaker 0.83 method for install snow
then change the file in Extra, boot, smbios ecc ecc

i have a problem with sleep when usb device are plugged in (no sleep and disconnection
error of device (like usb key, hard disk )

webcam (maybe hardware problems) is very dark
see this
http://h30434.www3.h...g...ding&page=1

any software for controlling the brightness in osx ?

another question is:
the fun always run (it's normal?)

i don't see any bonjours device when i use digicom usb wave 54 dongle for external wifi
with wired ethernet ok

wired ethernet lost connection on sleep resume

all non mentioned things work very well (graphics, wired ethernet, usb, restart, ecc..)

superviza make a miracle for audio!!!

thank you

Sleep Problem: If your using all of Proto's files you should not be experiencing any sleep isues (unless you have a WANN card on the full PCI-e slot (this will cause the device to wake) as will a SD card in the card reader.

I have tested this extensively and I am able to sleep my device with any of my USB drives.

Can you make sure you dont have a SD card in your device and no WWAN card.

Web Cam: Correct, as proto advised in the other thread, this is a Hardware issue.
You just need to make sure your room has sufficient lighting and it will be just fine.

Wired Ethernet: This is also something that has been tested by a few users and proved to work without issue.

Bonjour: I only use this for adding printers however it works perfect for me in my environment.

Brightness: OSX deals with the 311 brightness and does so very well - you can also use the function keys to change the brightness.

Sound: Watch this space, hopefully we will have a working solution shortly

Given that your experiencing multiple issues that are fixed with protos files, please ensure that you using EvERY file.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 880 posts

Discussion place for HP Mini 311 - Level 1 questions/enquiries

Please use this thread to ask your questions in relation to the Mini 311.

Technical development discussion is over at:

http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1317106

Thanks for starting this thread, you all have been very helpful in our quest to get SL running on the 311. With the limited info out there on this system, there really wasn't anywhere else to ask these basic questions. We certainly appreciate the work being done over on the tech thread and are grateful for this one as well.

Also thanks for the 10.5 install info, I had not tried that method, but I think I tried everything else! :(

Keep up the great work.

<SNIP>

Given that your experiencing multiple issues that are fixed with protos files, please ensure that you using EvERY file.

Okay I tried the SL install, got as far as using the NetbookBootMaker to install SL, but then I'm really not sure which files go where after that. There are root and boot files, but both have an /extra folder. I just was a bit confused by how to arrange them. I read the entire thread and could comprehend certain stuff there, but a lot of it went way over my head. I hate to sound like a complete noob here, but some clearer instructions might be helpful.

And don't get me wrong, I am not unappreciative of the work that has been done so far, but in this thread is it possible that a rudimentary guide of sorts might be forthcoming? I will be happy to assist in any way I can also. Thanks!

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

Thanks for starting this thread, you all have been very helpful in our quest to get SL running on the 311. With the limited info out there on this system, there really wasn't anywhere else to ask these basic questions. We certainly appreciate the work being done over on the tech thread and are grateful for this one as well.

Also thanks for the 10.5 install info, I had not tried that method, but I think I tried everything else! :(

Keep up the great work.

Okay I tried the SL install, got as far as using the NetbookBootMaker to install SL, but then I'm really not sure which files go where after that. There are root and boot files, but both have an /extra folder. I just was a bit confused by how to arrange them. I read the entire thread and could comprehend certain stuff there, but a lot of it went way over my head. I hate to sound like a complete noob here, but some clearer instructions might be helpful.

And don't get me wrong, I am not unappreciative of the work that has been done so far, but in this thread is it possible that a rudimentary guide of sorts might be forthcoming? I will be happy to assist in any way I can also. Thanks!

I am looking at moving more to the /E/E on the EFI partition as we speak since we are getting pretty settled in with the kexts being used right now.

Stay tuned for that one.

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts
Top post updated on the project thread with a new archive for testing.
http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1317240

This is the first attempt at pushing more out into the EFI partition and not having to deal with rebuilding caches.

If your system is working now, then try it and post back in this SUPPORT thread if you have an issue with it that you were not having before. Do not post in the project thread about the release.

You will notice that NVEnabler.kext now needs to reside in your /S/L/E (since all other kexts have been moved into the EFI partition), this is being worked on by the team that wrote the kext but in the meantime you can use Kext Helper to install it. DO NOT ASK HOW TO INSTALL A KEXT as there are thousands of pages explaining this very thing.

Snipester

Snipester

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am a regular Mini 311 user. I dont have a mac specific question but just a general wifi q.

In the other thread you mention this line:

Alternate Wireless - N-STATUS - BCM94321 (supervisa confirmed) and Dell 1510 (theproto confirmed) - Cover PIN 20, WWAN slot with U.FL extensions

Does this mean in the half height slot you have to cover pin 20 to force the cards to be awake and skip bios detection? The other option is to put it in the full height slot but using extensions for the antennae? I hope i understood correctly. Where would you get these extensions from?

It seems like you cannot buy the wireless N that comes with the machine on ebay right now.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

Does this mean in the half height slot you have to cover pin 20 to force the cards to be awake and skip bios detection? The other option is to put it in the full height slot but using extensions for the antennae? I hope i understood correctly. Where would you get these extensions from?

It seems like you cannot buy the wireless N that comes with the machine on ebay right now.

Nobody is running a working Wi-Fi card in the 1/2 height slot (in 10.6)

All of us with either 1/2 or full height cards have them running in the full height slot with pin 20 covered.

Due to the whitelist on the 1/2 height slot, you can only keep your stock card in there for BT

If you didn't order the 311 with WWAN then you will need the U. FL extensions.

Where to get them ?

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1317229

Hope that helps...

Ego_OSX

Ego_OSX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Nobody is running a working Wi-Fi card in the 1/2 height slot (in 10.6)

All of us with either 1/2 or full height cards have them running in the full height slot with pin 20 covered.

Due to the whitelist on the 1/2 height slot, you can only keep your stock card in there for BT

If you didn't order the 311 with WWAN then you will need the U. FL extensions.

Where to get them ?

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1317229

Hope that helps...

I swapped out the stock wifi card from my 311 with the wifi card from my hp mini 1000. This is in the 1/2 height slot.
Has anyone tried to patch the HP Bios and add new device IDs to the whitelist?

step2008

step2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Being a noob I will not be able to tweak anything under SL. So, I am thinking about a Vanilla Leopard install with netbookbootmaker.

Could you tell me if everything worked on 10.5.8 ?

Thanks

theproto

theproto

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 618 posts

I swapped out the stock wifi card from my 311 with the wifi card from my hp mini 1000. This is in the 1/2 height slot.
Has anyone tried to patch the HP Bios and add new device IDs to the whitelist?

Unfortunately HP not only signs but seems to encode their EFI updates thus making it a bit difficult to do that. That would be a general conversation to take to another board. The OS X forums wouldn't be a useful resource for that.

superviza

superviza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 198 posts

Being a noob I will not be able to tweak anything under SL. So, I am thinking about a Vanilla Leopard install with netbookbootmaker.

Could you tell me if everything worked on 10.5.8 ?

Thanks

Going to 10.5 will give you more headaches as you will be fighting a lonley battle.

Wifi works with the stock card however dont expect to get decent video,sleep etc working as this has only been worked on for 10.6.x

Stick with us, all the tweaking has really been done for you.

Just use Proto's files from the project thread.
:D

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I'm from Canada, and HP doesn't sell the Mini 311 here on its website/over the phone. I was told that at least for the near future, they have no plans to sell except through retailers.

None of the models sold here have BT built-in. BT is a big deal for me, and I don't want to get a USB adapter. I am going to be opening the device anyway to put in the WiFi card into the full-size slot, any chance I could remove the default WiFi G-only card (useless now) and put in a BT-only or BT+WiFi card in there? If yes, could you please show me one on eBay? I tried looking, but couldn't find one... Sorry!

Also, would swapping/adding these cards have any foreseeable issues in Win7? Might have to install that for some business applications.

Thanks a lot for your help! Much appreciated.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello to all of you,guys!
I'am want to know:does the hp mini 311 support opencl in snow leo?
And what about smooth hd video playback(1080p 25-30 gb mkv ) ?
How fast snow leo works on hp mini 311 with 3 gb ram ?
Its nice but how does sound work in this custom hackintosh pc,based on nvidia ion chipset(it seems what sound card is integrated) with snow leo 1.6....
custom ion hackintosh pc
BTW, I really want working hdmi 1.3 with 7.1 chanell audio and 1080p video))))))
Hacbooks with working hdmi in snow leo exist,don't they?

Big respect.

wired4net

wired4net

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have had some success on my Mini 311 with running a partition containing the original Windows XP together with another partition containing Snow Leopard. Both partitions are MBR-type (I originally installed the OSX on another drive's GUID partition and then cloned it over to the internal drive's MBR partition). Wireless works with the USB N-card recommended by LightsOut565. Bluetooth seems a little flaky, but I can live with that. So far so good.

The problem is that I have spent I don't know how many countless hours trying to get a dual boot working properly. I've tried Chameleon (RC2 and RC3) (boots XP but OSX gets kernel panic), EasyBCD (fails to find BCD store), and a setup using boot.ini in the XP root together with IELDR and "chameleon_2.0RC1_r431_bootiso" (just restarts the computer).

To date the only way I can get to both OS's is to boot the Mini 311 directly to Chameleon and launch XP to get Windows, or boot the original Snow Leopard Install USB stick (made with NetbookMaker) to boot into Snow Leopard.

Is there someone who has a successful dual boot system with XP and Snow Leopard? If so, would you please point me toward the mechanism that you have used and that you know works?

Thanks a lot, and especially thanks to all the hard-working folks who have contributed their time and skill to this project.

Wired4net

Arivall

Arivall

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
As far as the stock wifi (BCM4312 goes, have you guys tried the kexts that traderdude has posted in this thread? http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195020

If any one can confirm whether or not it works would be great. The non-functional wifi is essentially what's making me hesitant in purchasing the 311.

mosslack

mosslack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 880 posts

Going to 10.5 will give you more headaches as you will be fighting a lonley battle.

Wifi works with the stock card however dont expect to get decent video,sleep etc working as this has only been worked on for 10.6.x

Stick with us, all the tweaking has really been done for you.

Just use Proto's files from the project thread.
:(

Not sure I can agree. I've been down the wifi card changes before and don't like it. Those little connectors for the antenna are soooo very hard to connect without fear of breaking. I don't have the best eyesight in the world, plus I'm not sure I like the idea of taping pins, etc. I'm gonna try my hand at 10.5 before going that route. Besides, if the stock card works in 10.5 it almost has to work in 10.6. Perhaps someone else will come up with something, who knows.

Edit: Just updated my 10.5.0 install to 10.5.8. Also did the wifi updates and I believe they killed the wifi. Now it is more like it is in 10.6 as the OS knows the wifi is there, but it can't turn it on. May do a re-install and just do the 10.5.8 update without the wifi updates this time. Fun, fun, fun!

Edit again: Okay, the problem is with the NetbookBootMaker. I used my Boot 132 flash drive to boot with and now everything is back to normal. Wifi is working, screen is at 1024x768 and things work as they should (USB flash drives would not mount before). So as it stands right now I'm at 10.5.8 with wifi working, video partly working and no sound. I am presently cloning my install and will be removing the /extra folder to see if that allows it to be booted from the HD again. Stay tuned, more tomorrow...

bobdard

bobdard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I was set on getting a 311 for Hackintosh, until I thought more deeply into the 10.6.2 issue. At first, I thought 'who cares about 10.6.2...10.6.1 is good enough.' Now I'm thinking that many new pieces of software that will come out in the future (especially from Apple) are going to need 10.6.2+ to run. What does everyone think about that? I'm more hesitant now that I think about that factor. Maybe I'll have to get another MacBook Air after all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy