[GUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Vanilla Retail Guide for Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw)

mandrean

73 posts in this topic

I've got 10.6.3 running on it now. Rather complicated, but fairly easy. Lost the sound, which was easily fixed and still have no wifi. There is no bluetooth in this model and I haven't tried sleep, ext monitor etc, but it all looks good so far. The ethernet is still working fine.

I'll continue to test, and then write up the process of upgrading.

I have done a complete rebuild on mine starting from scratch and following this thread and upgrading to 10.6.2. in the post mentioned above in Post 49. I used METHOD 1 as I still had the initial USB install drive.

Firstly, with my BIOS issues, just for information, there is a guide here for Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery without an operating system.

To upgrade to 10.6.3. follow this thread and make sure you are at 10.6.2. and your file permissions are good. Run disk verify first to check.

You will need the patched Atom 10.6.3. kernel from this thread and the sleep enabler kext from this thread. Place them on your desktop and make sure the kernel is called mach_kernel.

Use at own Risk

Use this following information at your own risk to upgrade to 10.6.3. I downloaded the full 10.6.3. upgrade as I have several Macs to update. I ran this update on the AOA1 and let it do it's bit up until where it wants to restart. DO NOT RESTART YET as it will break.

[ENTER] means press the Enter or Return key. :) I'm also presuming your drive is called "Hackintosh".

Open a terminal window:

sudo -s [ENTER]

enter your password [ENTER]

cd Desktop [ENTER]

cp mach_kernel /Volumes/Hackintosh/ [ENTER]

chown 0:0 /Volumes/Hackintosh/mach_kernel [ENTER]

exit [ENTER] Close Terminal

Open a Finder window. In the top menu bar, click Go -> Go to folder and type "/Extra" in the window. Click "Go".

When in the /Extra folder, go to the folder GeneralExtensions. Replace the SleepEnabler.kext with the new one by dragging it from the desktop and dropping it into the GeneralExtensions folder. Authenticate and replace it.

Go back to the /Extra folder. Run UpdateExtra.app to update the Extensions.mkext with the new SleepEnabler.kext

You can now reboot. After logging back in, run disk permissions check, just in case, and apply any further updates for software.

NOTE

My model does not have bluetooth.

Wifi not working

Sleep: I've disabled it

Mic: unknown

Card readers: Unknown

Everything else is working so far. This is the method I have used to upgrade to 10.6.3. following a complete rebuild from the start of this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
I have done a complete rebuild on mine starting from scratch and following this thread and upgrading to 10.6.2. in the post mentioned above in Post 49. I used METHOD 1 as I still had the initial USB install drive.

Firstly, with my BIOS issues, just for information, there is a guide here for Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery without an operating system.

To upgrade to 10.6.3. follow this thread and make sure you are at 10.6.2. and your file permissions are good. Run disk verify first to check.

You will need the patched Atom 10.6.3. kernel from this thread and the sleep enabler kext from this thread. Place them on your desktop and make sure the kernel is called mach_kernel.

Use at own Risk

Use this following information at your own risk to upgrade to 10.6.3. I downloaded the full 10.6.3. upgrade as I have several Macs to update. I ran this update on the AOA1 and let it do it's bit up until where it wants to restart. DO NOT RESTART YET as it will break.

[ENTER] means press the Enter or Return key. :rolleyes: I'm also presuming your drive is called "Hackintosh".

Open a terminal window:

sudo -s [ENTER]

enter your password [ENTER]

cd Desktop [ENTER]

exit [ENTER] Close Terminal

Open a Finder window. In the top menu bar, click Go -> Go to folder and type "/Extra" in the window. Click "Go".

When in the /Extra folder, go to the folder GeneralExtensions. Replace the SleepEnabler.kext with the new one by dragging it from the desktop and dropping it into the GeneralExtensions folder. Authenticate and replace it.

Go back to the /Extra folder. Run UpdateExtra.app to update the Extensions.mkext with the new SleepEnabler.kext

You can now reboot. After logging back in, run disk permissions check, just in case, and apply any further updates for software.

NOTE

My model does not have bluetooth.

Wifi not working

Sleep: I've disabled it

Mic: unknown

Card readers: Unknown

Everything else is working so far. This is the method I have used to upgrade to 10.6.3. following a complete rebuild from the start of this thread.

Thanks, the 10.6.3 update works flawlessly! thanks for the guide, I hope that this may help you with your audio problem, and card reader, i used the Latest voodoo Kext to enable more options, u can manage the audio settings from the preferrence pane. For the wifi, i replaced mine with a broad com so i wont be able to help u with that though...

Install with kext helper and ull have your card reader and audio workin'

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

VoodooHDA_0.2.2_prefPane.zip

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip

A friend of mine accidentally updated her Aspire One ZG5 to Mac OS X 10.6.2 which isn't compatible with Intel Atom CPUs anymore.

This is how you can revive your broken/dead netbook.

METHOD 1

(easier, but takes a lot more time)

What you'll need:

• A working Intel or AMD computer with Mac OS X 10.5+
  • A USB drive or external hard drive. Minimum 8 GB.
  • A retail copy of Snow Leopard Install DVD that you've bought (Not the Macbook "restore DVD")

Note: In this guide, I presume that the USB drive is named "OSX" and the internal HDD "Hackintosh" (without quotes). If you're using anything else you should replace "OSX" and "Hackintosh" with the names you've chosen.

Step 1)

Follow Step 1 to 12 in the original Acer Aspire One ZG5 Snow Leopard guide.

Step 2)

When you've booted into OS X from the USB drive, open a Terminal window (Finder -> Applications -> Utilities).

Type the following commands; when it says [ENTER] in bold, you should type in the specific command and then hit the [ENTER] key on your keyboard:

cd /Volumes/OSX/ [ENTER]

You should now have your old Intel Atom-compatible kernel back.

Step 3)

Exit Terminal & reboot without the USB drive. If you've done everything correctly, you netbook should now be able to boot.

Step 4)

When booted into OS X, download this kernel and put put the mach_kernel file on the desktop: http://www.mediafire.com/?o2w0yunezzy

Step 5)

Open a Terminal window (Finder -> Applications -> Utilities).

Type the following commands; when it says [ENTER] in bold, you should type in the specific command and then hit the [ENTER] key on your keyboard:

cd ~/Desktop/ [ENTER]

Step 6)

When done, you should have a Intel Atom-patched Mac OS X 10.6.2 kernel. But do not reboot or you will get kernel panic!

Step 7)

Download this kext to your desktop: http://www.kexts.com/view/146-sleepenabler...sx_10.6.2).html

Step 8)

Step 9)

Step 10)

Step 11)

You should now have a fully working Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA161-BGw) with 10.6.2. You can now safely reboot your netbook and run Software Update to install all the updates and patches! (Until 10.6.3 is released, that is. Then you'll need a new patched kernel.)

METHOD 2

(a bit more complicated, but much much faster)

What you'll need:

• A working Intel or AMD computer with Mac OS X 10.5+
  • A USB drive or external hard drive. Minimum 8 GB.
  • A .DMG image of the retail Snow Leopard Install DVD that you've bought (Not the MacBook "restore DVD")

Note: In this guide, I presume that the USB drive is named "OSX" and the internal HDD "Hackintosh" (without quotes). If you're using anything else you should replace "OSX" and "Hackintosh" with the names you've chosen.

Step 1)

Connect the USB drive (or external hard drive) to your working computer. Open Disk Utility (Finder -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Right click the drive you just attached and chose "Partition". Choose "1 partition" from the drop down list. Press "Options" and make sure it says "GUID Partition Scheme". Enter "OSX" as the name of the partition. Proceed.

Step 2)

In Disk Utility, click "OSX" in the list on the left. Then click the "Restore" tab. Click "Image" and browse to the Snow Leopard .DMG image. Then click & drag "OSX" in the list on the left and drop it onto the white "Destination" field. Hit restore and wait for 30-40 minutes (compare to METHOD 1, which can take many hours!).

Step 3)

Download & run NetbookBootMaker: http://netbook-installer.googlecode.com/fi...200.8.3.app.zip

Select "Mac OS X Install DVD" from the drop down list, then click "Prepare Boot Device".

Note: Tripple check that you've chosen "Mac OS X Install DVD". Anything else could break the computer you're working from!

Step 4)

When finished, eject the USB drive and attach it to the Netbook. Start the Netbook and press [F12] to select boot device. Choose to boot from the USB. When the boot loader shows "Mac OS X Install DVD" press [ENTER] two times to boot the Setup.

Step 5)

When booted into the setup, choose your language of choice and proceed. When the "Install Mac OS X" screen pops up, go to the top menu bar and click Utilities -> Terminal.

Step 6)

cd / [ENTER]

You should now have your old Intel Atom-compatible kernel back.

Step 7)

Exit Terminal, power down the netbook and reboot without the USB drive. If you've done everything correctly, your netbook should now be able to boot.

Step 8)

When booted into OS X, download this kernel and put put the mach_kernel file on the desktop: http://www.mediafire.com/?o2w0yunezzy

Step 9)

Open a Terminal window (Finder -> Applications -> Utilities).

cd ~/Desktop/ [ENTER]

Step 10)

When done, you should have a Intel Atom-patched Mac OS X 10.6.2 kernel. But do not reboot or you will get kernel panic!

Step 11)

Download this kext to your desktop: http://www.kexts.com/view/146-sleepenabler...sx_10.6.2).html

Step 12)

Step 13)

Step 14)

Step 15)

You should now have a fully working Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA161-BGw) with 10.6.2. You can now safely reboot your netbook and run Software Update to install all the updates and patches! (Until 10.6.3 is released, that is. Then you'll need a new patched kernel.)

Good luck! :D

I had the problem one when i updated to 10.6.2, had a kernal panic at start-up. I just ran the OSX (usb drive) and waited for it to boot, then ran NetBookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1, selected all the options, rebooted, and was just grand.

• 5 weeks later...
What does NOT work (yet):

• Internal 3G. What card does it have? Option GTM 380. Are there any kexts/hacks to get it working? UPDATE: Install launch2net and OSX should find the GTM 380!!!
  • Bluetooth
  • Sleep. It reboots when closing the lid. That's where InsomniaX comes to work.
  • Ethernet. What ethernet card does the Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw) have? Kexts for Realtek R1000 gives you an ethernet adaptor in network preferences...but it doesn't seem to work?
  • Wi-Fi. A sticker on the bottom says Atheros AR5BXB63. Hacked Atheros kexts not working. Replaced it with a Dell 1390 which gives native AirPort. 12 bucks on eBay. Free world wide shipping!
  • SDcard readers

Great write up. Few discrepancies tho...

My Ethernet worked right off the rip after following your directions.

My SD card readers show up as devices, I can't get them to register media tho :P

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried this out on my Acer Aspire One 532h. It has an Intel Atom N450 1.66. Got it to boot with no wi-fi. Unfortunately, when I unplugged the external hard drive and tried to boot stand alone, I would get a boot error. Was able to restore the Windows section again, but it took a while. I still had to plug in the external drive to start the process. Guess, I will be trying this again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo,

I am only replying to this post to find out what part of what you did fixed your Vodafone K3520 Dongle to work, I have a different laptop model, but will be able to find my equavelent fix if youy can remember what driver you updated for it to work.

Thanks,

Hardus

I've spent my spare time over the last few weeks converting my ZG5 to a Netbook Air. Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have a house full of real Macs and no Windows machines, so it was rather fun as I explain.

I have everything working except the wifi. The Ethernet started working after I did the 10.6.2 upgrade and then doing the fix as described in the previous post.

Firstly, my Netbook had the problem of where the battery had gone flat and refused to charge. It had an Australian 3314 version BIOS, so before blowing Windows away, I acquired the European version 3309 and flashed the BIOS to get the battery to charge.

I followed the steps in this thread, and I even got an external Vodafone K3520 3G USB dongle running so it can surf the net anywhere. I had no ethernet until yesterday when I did the 10.6.2 upgrade. It magically started working.

I had to reinstall the battery meter and sound kexts after the upgrade, but so far so good. I'll sort the wifi out later on.

Thanks to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I have a problem when trying to install SL to my usb drive.....It says it can only be installed on a disk with Mac OSX already installed on it.

So Im guessing this method doesnt work with the $29 upgrade disc?

Any workarounds for that?

Im running 10.6.4 on a Unibody Macbook Aluminum (late 2008) when trying to install it on the usb harddrive ...if that matters

• 2 weeks later...

People who are wondering about the CPU speed clocking down when it runs on battery, I found a weird workaround for the problem by mistake. I was messing around with netbook installer and installed it. after the install i realized that the battery indicator didn't show anymore. I must have messed with some power management kexts. The good thing is that now the laptop thinks that it's always working on adapter so the cpu always seems to clock at 1.6ghz. I think I can sacrifice the battery indicator for the CPU speed because it's extremely slow on battery and impossible to watch any videos online. The laptop still blinks red when it's running out of battery soon, so you still have some idea when you need to charge, so it's not that bad at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am completely new to this scene. I was able to install SL OSX 10.6.3 from a retail CD using Netbookbootmaker 0.8.4. Everything loaded very easily.

The only things that are not working are the VGA out, the wifi card, and the audio. Well, I can do without the VGA and WIFI, but the sound i really would like to get working.

The problem is that I have no idea how to get the sound working. Which Kext if any? All of the tutorials I find online are for OSX 10.5, 10.6.1, etc. I tried installing a kext tat I found and when I rebooted, I had a crash. I had to do a reinstall. I don't want to mess anything up and have to start from scratch again.

Is there anyone who can send me in the right direction?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Followed the main guide to a t. The USB was built on my 10.6.6 macbook.

I used NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3 as in the guide. Other versions or NetbookBootMaker simply do not run on my 10.6.6, the error message I would get is: "You can't open the application NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5.app because it may be damaged or incomplete". Thought it was a bad download, but shasum checks out :P

Unable to boot from the USB. My ZG5 gets stuck at the F2/F12 screen.

Disk repair on the USB does not help.

Thought it was a bad USB, tried with a different USB, same problem.

Please help -_-

UPDATE: I could follow through with the guide, using Chameleon 2 RC 4 instead of NetbookInstaller.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I installed on A110 ZG5 (upgraded ram, hd and ethernet card) with this guide but used chameleon 2 rc4 instead of NetbookInstaller which didn't work for me. I'll keep 10.6.1 as system works fast and very smooth on such weak machine. Very happy with my new little hackbook. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now running SL 10.6.7 on my ZG5 with most things working. But there are still a few problems that I'd like to discuss. First, I'll describe what I did to get SL 10.6.7 running on my netbook.

Because the built-in Atheros Wifi card doesn't work, I swapped it with a Gigabyte. Strange enough, the Gigabyte also has an Atheros chipset (which I consider one of the best btw.) but it works right from the start, no kext needed.

Step 1: Create a USB install stick. I already had a stick with SL 10.6.3 on it, created following this guide, part 1, steps 1-13. I used it some time ago to try to create a hackbook out of a Compaq Mini 700, but I got stuck on SL 10.6.4 with many problems that took too much time to solve.

Step 2: Boot the ZG5 from the install stick, run the installer, partition the internal HD and set it to GUID and install SL 10.6.3 on it.

Step 3: After a while, the installer is finished and reboots. Run through the welcome screens and create an account. When the desktop shows, remove the install stick and reboot again. When the desktop still comes up, there's a working SL 10.6.3 installed on the netbook.

Step 4: I used NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre on the freshly installed netbook. Used the default options (there isn't much to choose in this version).

Step 5: Started software update from Finder. Unchecked everything except the 10.6.7 system update, because on a previous attempt, when I checked all updates at once, a kernel panic was the result. Then let the system update and reboot.

Step 6: The reboot takes a long time because of NetbookInstaller reconstructing the system. After the desktop shows, reboot again to check that the system really survived.

Step 7: Now it becomes tricky. I hand-edited the boot.plist from the archive in the first post, to include some keys from the boot.plist that already is present in Extras at this moment. I had some feeling they could be of importance. Then wrote back the boot.plist to Extra.

Step 8: Copied most of the kexts from the kext archive in the first post to Extra/GeneralExtensions. I only skipped the fakesmc kext, because it already was present, and the RT1000 kext because the ehternet connection already seems to function.

Step 9: Run the UpdateExtras program in Extra. This updates the kext caches and repairs permissions where necessary.

Step 10: I did some of the additional things mentioned in the first post, like correcting the "About this Mac" window and the command/option keys. And some more.

This should result in a ZG5 with almost everything working. Only things not working are the card readers (in fact, I didn't test them yet but since no one got them working to this date, I can only assume they're not working) and the webcam. And of course the sleep, but that's an easy fix with the InsomniaX fix described in the first post.

But now to my problem. I'd like to use the webcam. In the first post, I couldn't find anything related to activating the webcam through kexts or other means. That probably means that the webcam is supposed to work right from the start. The strange thing is, I installed OSX 3 or 4 times to get to where I am now (I had to redo it a few times because I screwed up too badly). During one of these installs, the welcome screens also showed the "take picture" screen. But the picture was completely white, no matter what I did. After finishing the account creation, I started Photobooth, just to find that the webcam picture was still white. In addition, Photobooth showed a message stating that no webcam had been found, despite the fact that it was showing the white screen. When I clicked on the icon to take a picture, Photobooth froze and could only be terminated violently.

Does anyone know of a way to enable this camera? Does it need a special kext, or should it be enabled with a Fn key combination? Please share your thoughts.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

for the correct cpu's speed with battery just delete appleintelcpupowermanagement, there's nullcpupower for us ;)

for audio delete voodoohda and install the applehda some posts above

for wireless there's http://www.osx86.net/view/2266-atheros_ar5007.html, activates airport but still no wifi connection... the only solution remains dell dw1390