[GUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Vanilla Retail Guide for Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Hardus

Hardus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hallo,

I am only replying to this post to find out what part of what you did fixed your Vodafone K3520 Dongle to work, I have a different laptop model, but will be able to find my equavelent fix if youy can remember what driver you updated for it to work.

Thanks,

Hardus

I've spent my spare time over the last few weeks converting my ZG5 to a Netbook Air. Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have a house full of real Macs and no Windows machines, so it was rather fun as I explain.

I have everything working except the wifi. The Ethernet started working after I did the 10.6.2 upgrade and then doing the fix as described in the previous post.

Firstly, my Netbook had the problem of where the battery had gone flat and refused to charge. It had an Australian 3314 version BIOS, so before blowing Windows away, I acquired the European version 3309 and flashed the BIOS to get the battery to charge.

I followed the steps in this thread, and I even got an external Vodafone K3520 3G USB dongle running so it can surf the net anywhere. I had no ethernet until yesterday when I did the 10.6.2 upgrade. It magically started working.

I had to reinstall the battery meter and sound kexts after the upgrade, but so far so good. I'll sort the wifi out later on.

Thanks to everyone.

danielortizdecaracas

danielortizdecaracas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi everyon, plz reply me, BIOS 3309 does not fuction with this? only 3310? thanks a lot in advance ;)

itscreesh

itscreesh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok I have a problem when trying to install SL to my usb drive.....It says it can only be installed on a disk with Mac OSX already installed on it.

So Im guessing this method doesnt work with the $29 upgrade disc?

Any workarounds for that?

Im running 10.6.4 on a Unibody Macbook Aluminum (late 2008) when trying to install it on the usb harddrive ...if that matters

icarususa

icarususa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
People who are wondering about the CPU speed clocking down when it runs on battery, I found a weird workaround for the problem by mistake. I was messing around with netbook installer and installed it. after the install i realized that the battery indicator didn't show anymore. I must have messed with some power management kexts. The good thing is that now the laptop thinks that it's always working on adapter so the cpu always seems to clock at 1.6ghz. I think I can sacrifice the battery indicator for the CPU speed because it's extremely slow on battery and impossible to watch any videos online. The laptop still blinks red when it's running out of battery soon, so you still have some idea when you need to charge, so it's not that bad at all.

etnavelw

etnavelw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am completely new to this scene. I was able to install SL OSX 10.6.3 from a retail CD using Netbookbootmaker 0.8.4. Everything loaded very easily.

The only things that are not working are the VGA out, the wifi card, and the audio. Well, I can do without the VGA and WIFI, but the sound i really would like to get working.

The problem is that I have no idea how to get the sound working. Which Kext if any? All of the tutorials I find online are for OSX 10.5, 10.6.1, etc. I tried installing a kext tat I found and when I rebooted, I had a crash. I had to do a reinstall. I don't want to mess anything up and have to start from scratch again.

Is there anyone who can send me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Zachary Santos

Zachary Santos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Anyone here tested the previous kexts sudolaurels posted? I tried it on 10.6.4 and it surely enabled the mic and sound, however, the sound sometimes disappears and it re-enables shortly after i view media that involves sound, I just wanna get this fixed. Thanks:)

Hupfi

Hupfi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm actually installing the OS X 10.6 to my formatted USB Drive, but i had to unmount the Image of the DVD, before i was able to install the OSInstall.mpkg to the USB drive, maybe you can add this to Step 2)

bahman2000

bahman2000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Followed the main guide to a t. The USB was built on my 10.6.6 macbook.

I used NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3 as in the guide. Other versions or NetbookBootMaker simply do not run on my 10.6.6, the error message I would get is: "You can't open the application NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5.app because it may be damaged or incomplete". Thought it was a bad download, but shasum checks out :P

Unable to boot from the USB. My ZG5 gets stuck at the F2/F12 screen.

Disk repair on the USB does not help.

Thought it was a bad USB, tried with a different USB, same problem.

Please help -_-

UPDATE: I could follow through with the guide, using Chameleon 2 RC 4 instead of NetbookInstaller.

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
hey folks. Got a Acer Aspire One AOA150( ZG5) sitting on my lap. Would s.b. please post if QE/CI work, and which resolutions can be chosen?

Thanks,
Bugs

luki1979

luki1979

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 30 posts
I installed on A110 ZG5 (upgraded ram, hd and ethernet card) with this guide but used chameleon 2 rc4 instead of NetbookInstaller which didn't work for me. I'll keep 10.6.1 as system works fast and very smooth on such weak machine. Very happy with my new little hackbook. Thanks

Squirrel61

Squirrel61

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm now running SL 10.6.7 on my ZG5 with most things working. But there are still a few problems that I'd like to discuss. First, I'll describe what I did to get SL 10.6.7 running on my netbook.

Because the built-in Atheros Wifi card doesn't work, I swapped it with a Gigabyte. Strange enough, the Gigabyte also has an Atheros chipset (which I consider one of the best btw.) but it works right from the start, no kext needed.

Step 1: Create a USB install stick. I already had a stick with SL 10.6.3 on it, created following this guide, part 1, steps 1-13. I used it some time ago to try to create a hackbook out of a Compaq Mini 700, but I got stuck on SL 10.6.4 with many problems that took too much time to solve.

Step 2: Boot the ZG5 from the install stick, run the installer, partition the internal HD and set it to GUID and install SL 10.6.3 on it.

Step 3: After a while, the installer is finished and reboots. Run through the welcome screens and create an account. When the desktop shows, remove the install stick and reboot again. When the desktop still comes up, there's a working SL 10.6.3 installed on the netbook.

Step 4: I used NetbookInstaller 0.8.5pre on the freshly installed netbook. Used the default options (there isn't much to choose in this version).

Step 5: Started software update from Finder. Unchecked everything except the 10.6.7 system update, because on a previous attempt, when I checked all updates at once, a kernel panic was the result. Then let the system update and reboot.

Step 6: The reboot takes a long time because of NetbookInstaller reconstructing the system. After the desktop shows, reboot again to check that the system really survived.

Step 7: Now it becomes tricky. I hand-edited the boot.plist from the archive in the first post, to include some keys from the boot.plist that already is present in Extras at this moment. I had some feeling they could be of importance. Then wrote back the boot.plist to Extra.

Step 8: Copied most of the kexts from the kext archive in the first post to Extra/GeneralExtensions. I only skipped the fakesmc kext, because it already was present, and the RT1000 kext because the ehternet connection already seems to function.

Step 9: Run the UpdateExtras program in Extra. This updates the kext caches and repairs permissions where necessary.

Step 10: I did some of the additional things mentioned in the first post, like correcting the "About this Mac" window and the command/option keys. And some more.

This should result in a ZG5 with almost everything working. Only things not working are the card readers (in fact, I didn't test them yet but since no one got them working to this date, I can only assume they're not working) and the webcam. And of course the sleep, but that's an easy fix with the InsomniaX fix described in the first post.

But now to my problem. I'd like to use the webcam. In the first post, I couldn't find anything related to activating the webcam through kexts or other means. That probably means that the webcam is supposed to work right from the start. The strange thing is, I installed OSX 3 or 4 times to get to where I am now (I had to redo it a few times because I screwed up too badly). During one of these installs, the welcome screens also showed the "take picture" screen. But the picture was completely white, no matter what I did. After finishing the account creation, I started Photobooth, just to find that the webcam picture was still white. In addition, Photobooth showed a message stating that no webcam had been found, despite the fact that it was showing the white screen. When I clicked on the icon to take a picture, Photobooth froze and could only be terminated violently.

Does anyone know of a way to enable this camera? Does it need a special kext, or should it be enabled with a Fn key combination? Please share your thoughts.

redreda

redreda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I was meant to post this ages ago and snow leopard doesnt detect my hard drive so I cant do anything.

thecliffhanger

thecliffhanger

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
for the correct cpu's speed with battery just delete appleintelcpupowermanagement, there's nullcpupower for us ;)

for audio delete voodoohda and install the applehda some posts above

for wireless there's http://www.osx86.net...ros_ar5007.html, activates airport but still no wifi connection... the only solution remains dell dw1390

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy