[GUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Vanilla Retail Guide for Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw)

mandrean

73 posts in this topic

This is a guide of how I installed retail Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on an Acer Aspire One ZG5. Creds to Neodymium for his Aspire One A150 Snow Leopard guide which helped me a lot.

What you need:

• A working computer with Mac OS X 10.5+
  • An Acer Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw) with BIOS version 3310
  • A USB mouse
  • A USB drive or external hard drive. Minimum 8 GB
  • A retail copy of Snow Leopard Install DVD that you've bought (Not the Macbook "restore DVD")

Step 1)

Connect the USB drive (or external hard drive, though I will use the term "USB drive" in this guide) to your working computer. Open Disk Utility (Finder -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Right click the drive you just attached and chose "Partition". Choose "1 partition" from the drop down list. Press "Options" and make sure it says "GUID Partition Scheme". Enter "OSX" as the name of the partition. Proceed.

Step 2)

Insert the Snow Leopard DVD or mount the image of it. Open finder, and press [sHIFT] + [CMD] + [G]. Type /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/ and press Enter.

Then navigate to OSInstall.mpkg and launch it.

Note: OSInstall.mpkg, not .pkg.

Step 3)

Install Snow Leopard to the USB drive. Customize it to only install the required basic content plus Rosetta, extra fonts and maybe a language pack of your choice. Make sure it only installs the language you've chosen and not all of the language packs. Uncheck the huge and useless printer drivers.

Step 4)

Go take a power nap for an hour or two. ;-)

Step 5)

Download the latest versions of the following apps:

NetbookInstaller (I used 0.8.3 RC3), http://code.google.com/p/netbook-installer/

SuperDuper!, http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

Kext Helper, http://cheetha.net/

OSX86 Tools, http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

InsomniaX, http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinf

Step 6)

Run NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3. When it complains upon start just press "Continue".

Select "OSX" from the drop down list. Triple check! I am not responsible for any wrecked computers.

Only select "Install Chameleon 2 RC3" and "Install General Extensions".

Install.

Step 7)

Open/attach the SuperDuper! .dmg file. Browse it's content, but do not install it to your computer. Instead, click once on the SuperDuper app and press [CMD] + [C] to copy it. Navigate in Finder to your drive named "OSX", then into "Applications". Press [CMD] + [V] to paste it.

Do the same with Kext Helper, OSX86 Tools, NetbookInstaller and InsomniaX. "Install" them to /OSX/Applications. (I even did it with Spotify, Adium, Stuffit and a few more when I was at it, haha.)

NOTE: Triple check that you have installed the above mentioned apps so you don't have to go back and do it later.

Step 8)

Open finder and press [sHIFT] + [CMD] + [G] once again. Type /Volumes/OSX/Extra and press Enter.

Download the attached ZG5_SNOW_EXTRA_FILES.zip and extract its content to the Extra folder. Overwrite any files.

ZG5_SNOW_EXTRA_FILES.zip

Step 9)

Create a folder named "ZG5_FILES" on /OSX/.

Go to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL930 in Safari. Download Snow Leopard 10.6.1 update and put it into the /OSX/ZG5_FILES.

Also download the attached zip with the ZG5 Kexts and extract its content to /OSX/ZG5_FILES.

ZG5_SNOW_KEXTS.zip

Step 10)

Plug the drive into the powered-off Aspire One ZG5. Also plug in the USB mouse. Power it on. Press F12 to choose boot device. Choose the USB drive and press Enter.

If you did everything right Chameleon should have loaded. When it says "Press any key for boot options" (or something like that), press Enter. Press [WINDOWS KEY] + any random key. (For now [WINDOWS KEY] is equivalent of the option key and [ALT] is equivalent of [CMD]. Well change this later on.)

Notice the boot flag field. Press backspace to erase any letters in the field, and enter only -v. Press Enter to boot in verbose mode. (Verbose mode shows the log and possible errors instead of the fancy grey Apple logo.)

Step 11)

PATIENCE! Booting Snow Leopard via USB is slow. It takes time. Especially when you do it for the first time. It can take up to 20 minutes to get to the Welcome screen, possibly even longer.

Step 12)

Go through the Welcome process. Create your user account etc.

Please, have patience. It's slow, I'm tellin' ya'.

Step 13)

Congratulations - your Aspire One ZG5 should by now have booted Snow Leopard. But we're not done yet.

Enter Disk Utility (Finder -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) again. Select the hard drive of your netbook, right click and choose "Partition". Choose "1 partition" from the drop down list. Click on "Options" and make sure it says "GUID Partition Scheme". Partition the disk and name the partition "Hackintosh".

(NOTE: If you, for some reason, cannot partition the drive, Google the error message and thou shall find help.)

Step 14)

Open SuperDuper! from Finder -> Applications -> SuperDuper!

Choose "Copy: OSX", "to: Hackintosh" and "using: Restore - all files" from the drop down lists.

Then press "Copy now".

Step 15)

If you don't get any errors you should now have Snow Leopard on your harddrive. But you have to reinstall the Chameleon bootloader.

Launch NetbookInstaller (Finder -> Applications -> NetbookInstaller). Press "Continue" when it complains about unsupported devices.

Choose "Hackintosh" from the drop down list, but this time only choose "Install Chameleon 2 RC3" bootloader. Nothing else.

Press "Install".

Step 16)

Go to "System Preferences" (Finder -> Applications -> System Preferences).

Go to the Keyboard tab, and then press the button "Modifier Keys".

Make sure "Option key" has the value "Command" and that "Command key" has the value "Option". In other words, you should just swap them since the keyboard layout of a PC is different to the one of a Mac. Press OK.

Note: From now on, after the swap, the [WINDOWS] key on your ZG5 is equivalent of the [CMD] ("command") key on a Mac and the [ALT] key on your ZG5 is equivalent of the [ALT] ("option") key on a Mac. Just as it should be.

Step 17)

Open finder and press [sHIFT] + [CMD] + [G]. Type /Volumes/Hackintosh/Extra and press Enter.

Copy the content from the attached ZIP into the Extra-folder. Overwrite any files.

NOTE: You copy and paste to the Extra-folder (and overwrite any files) on the Hackintosh volume this time, not OSX.

Step 18)

Update to Snow Leopard 10.6.1 by running the update package in /Hackintosh/ZG5_FILES/.

Step 19)

Launch Kext Helper (Finder -> Applications -> Kext Helper b7). Open finder and go to ZG5_FILES/Kexts in the root directory of either OSX or Hackintosh. Select all the kexts and drag them to Kext Helper. Enter your password in the password field.

Press "Easy Install".

Step 20)

Run Disk Utility (Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Select "Hackintosh" and press "Repair permissions" just to be sure. This can take a while.

Step 21)

Launch OSX86Tools (Finder -> Applications -> OSX86Tools)

Press "Enable/Disable Quartz GL" and then "Enable Quartz GL".

The next thing you do in OSX86Tools is to press "Modify About this Mac" then "Set CPU info". Enter Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz

Reboot when finished. Unplug the USB mouse.

Step 22)

If everything seems to work without any errors, then continue:

Go to "System Preferences" (Finder -> Applications -> System Preferences), then "Accounts", then "Start Objects" and press the + sign. Browse to Applications and add InsomniaX.

Launch InsomniaX (Finder -> Applications -> InsomniaX). It should appear as a blue thing in your top menu bar. Click on it, go to "Preferences" and then "Load on start"

Step 23)

Open finder and press [sHIFT] + [CMD] + [G]. Type /Volumes/Hackintosh/Extra and press Enter.

Right click on com.Apple.bootlist.plist and open with text editor.

Add:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Save to desktop. Make sure the save as box says " com.Apple.bootlist.plist" and not just " com.Apple.bootlist".

Click on the com.Apple.bootlist.plist and press [CMD] + [C] to copy it.

Press [sHIFT] + [CMD] + [G] and type in /Volumes/Hackintosh/Extra. Press Enter.

Press [CMD] + [V] to paste com.Apple.bootlist.plist into /Hackintosh/Extra. Enter your password to allow the file transfer. Overwrite the file.

Step 24)

Reboot... and behold! The bootloader boots Snow Leopard right off! A few seconds faster than with the blue progress bar that says "Press any key for startup options".

Step 25)

Enter "System Preferences" (Finder -> Applications -> System Preferences). Go to "Trackpad" and activate Click and two finger scrolling.

FINISHED!

You should now have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with retail/vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed on the hard drive!

What does work:

• Trackpad with multi touch scrolling
  • Speakers
  • A bunch of Fn-keys, including brightness and volume controls
  • Sleep screen
  • Battery indicator
  • Internal camera recognized as native iSight camera
  • Booting, rebooting, shutting down etc.
  • UPDATE: Built-in 3G!!! Install launch2net and OSX should find the GTM 380.
  • UPDATE: Audio out, internal mic & external mic! Read sudolaurels post in this thread.

What does NOT work (yet):

• Internal 3G. What card does it have? Option GTM 380. Are there any kexts/hacks to get it working? UPDATE: Install launch2net and OSX should find the GTM 380!!!
  • Bluetooth
  • Sleep. It reboots when closing the lid. That's where InsomniaX comes to work.
  • Ethernet. What ethernet card does the Aspire One ZG5 (AOA150-BGw) have? Kexts for Realtek R1000 gives you an ethernet adaptor in network preferences...but it doesn't seem to work?
  • Wi-Fi. A sticker on the bottom says Atheros AR5BXB63. Hacked Atheros kexts not working. Replaced it with a Dell 1390 which gives native AirPort. 12 bucks on eBay. Free world wide shipping!
  • SDcard readers

What I haven't checked yet:

• Mic Working.
  • Audio out Working.

Cheers! :D

I followed steps 1-12, which resulted in OSX 10.6 booting from my USB drive. I had previously

repartitioned the stock AOA150 internal drive to keep the hidden restore partition, keep but reduce the size

of the WinXP partition, and created an unformatted partition for OSX. So at the end of step 12, I ran Disk Utility,

and formatted ("erased") the OSX partition on the internal drive. I then used Disk Utility to restore the working

OSX partition on USB drive onto the internal drive OSX partition.

I then shutdown, and removed the USB mouse (and the inseparable iMac keyboard). I booted from the USB drive (had to hit the F12 key to ensure I booted from the USB drive; changing the boot priority did not work for some reason).

I held down the control keys (it worked; not sure what the equivalent to the "option" key is on the AOA150 keyboard) as OSX started to boot. This gave me the familiar OSX display, letting me choose which partition to boot from (the choices were the external USB partition, the hidden partition, the XP partition, and the newly restored internal OSX partition). I chose the internal OSX partition, and it booted OSX (but took maybe 7 minutes - and said it was in safe mode). I then ejected the USD volumes, and unplugged the USB drive.

I expect to perform the remaining steps 14-24, and be able to boot cleanly (no safe mode). Then I just need to

find a simple, bullet-proof dual-boot procedure.

OSX continued to work OK.

Well, dual boot was simple, after a lot of dumb approaches. I was paranoid about altering the MBR boot sector,

so I first tried to use the WinXP based chain0 approach (showtopic=52954). But I discovered (after many, many, reboots)

that neither Disk Utility, SuperDuper, or Carbon Copy copies sector 0 of the USB OSX partition to sector 0 of the internal drive partition (they apparently copy everything except those first 512 bytes). The article here helped to investigate sector 0.

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet, and just performed step 15 on the internal OSX partition. Voila, dual booting via Chameleon works. Now I would like to puzzle out if I can make the Chameleon's default timeout boot to WinXp.

Minor issues; I don't get the point of step 16. The Alt key appears to act like the Command key, and the flag key acts like the option key (same layout as on typical Mac keyboard). Maybe I will figure out why later. Also, step 17 seems unneeded; all those files got copied in step 14.

There needs to be a step 18.5: Reboot using the non-USB drive (e.g. the ultimate target volume)

Step 21: right after I clicked "Enable Quartz GL", I was required to restart (before I could "Set CPU Info").

The order should be reversed to save some time.

Dyrp 22: com.Apple.bootlist.plist should be com.Apple.boot.plist

Whew! Done. It works. Now need to get an ethernet driver.

So I'm stuck at Step 2 of the install.

When I go to the folder and type the string in I hit [Enter] I get: The folder “OSInstall.mpkg” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

How do I get around that?

Getting smarter. Figured it out.

Cheers,

Brian

So I'm stuck at Step 2 of the install.

When I go to the folder and type the string in I hit [Enter] I get: The folder “OSInstall.mpkg” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

How do I get around that?

Cheers,

Brian

Good you pointed that out! My bad. I have now updated the guide with the correct instructions. Hope they work better!

It should be:

Step 2)

Insert the Snow Leopard DVD or mount the image of it. Open finder, and press [sHIFT] + [CMD] + [G]. Type /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/ and press Enter.

Then navigate to OSInstall.mpkg and launch it.

Note: OSInstall.mpkg, not .pkg.

I'm having an issue getting Netbookinstaller to work. It keeps quiting on me unexpectedly.

I get:

Process: NetbookInstaller [7514]

Path: /Users/briandurand/Downloads/NetbookInstaller-1.app/Contents/MacOS/NetbookInstaller

Identifier: com.meklort.NetbookInstaller

Version: ??? (0.8.3 RC3)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [120]

Date/Time: 2009-11-02 21:09:49.820 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)

Report Version: 6

Full Report:

http://pastebin.com/f147d3991

How do I make it work?

Coming off as a bit of a Nance.

Cheers,

Brian

Would be really nice if you could paste the error log to http://pastebin.com/ (retention period: forever) and link to it in a reply instead of publishing the whole error log here.

Thanks! ;)

Other than that... I'm thinkin' the Snow Leopard install is corrupt. Try using another USB drive/external disk etc.

I am giving up for a while; too hard getting the ethernet working. I can confirm that my

Acer AOA150-1635 has a RealTek RTL8103E ethernet chip (at least that's what WinXP reports).

The ethernet works fine under XP (and also Easy Peasy Ubuntu). Note: installing Easy Peasy

was amazingly painless; took about 5 minutes of actual thinking time, and maybe 90 minutes of

total elapsed time (creating the bootable flash drive for installation, then doing the install).

Im having every difficulty possible!

I have finally gotten an image on a USB, and now when I try to boot I find that the HHD is MBR and my USB is GUID! God!

I'm now creating an image of my USB and will reformat to MBR. Hope that will work.

What else could go wrong? Standby and I'll find out.

Anyone know if the Mic and Camera work?

Cheers,

Brian

Im having every difficulty possible!

I have finally gotten an image on a USB, and now when I try to boot I find that the HHD is MBR and my USB is GUID! God!

I'm now creating an image of my USB and will reformat to MBR. Hope that will work.

What else could go wrong? Standby and I'll find out.

Cheers,

Brian

Are you using the NetbookInstaller way or the NetbookBootMaker way that we talked about in a PM? When installing OS X to a USB drive and using NetbookInstaller on top of it the drive should be formatted as GUID, not MBR.

Took the ZG5 apart using

and then replaced the stock wifi card with a Dell 1390 (12 bucks on eBay & free worldwide shipping) to enable native AirPort.

I also took a closer look on the internal 3G card which apparently is a Option GT M 380.

To get it working I downloaded and installed launch2net. Reboot and check Network Preferences. You should now have a bunch of new interfaces named "GTM HSUPA Modem", "GTM HSUPA WAN", "GTM HSUPA Control" etc. Remove all of the new ones, EXCEPT "GTM HSUPA Modem", by selecting one interface at a time and pressing the button with a - symbol.

Note: Make sure you leave the "GTM HSUPA Modem". If you accidentally remove that one too, press the + button and chose "GTM HSUPA Modem" from the drop down list.

Select "GTM HSUPA Modem" in Network Preferences. Check "Show modem status in menu bar" and enter #99* as phone number. Then go to "Advanced" and then choose "GPRS (GSM/3G)" in the second drop down list. Enter your APN. Press OK.

In the menubar click the phone icon and uncheck "Show connection time" and "Show status during connection".

To connect click on the phone icon and press "Connect".

DONE!

Nice guide. Wish I had this when I did my install a while back.

Camera should work. I didn't check what kexts are included in your package yet but here are some I used to get the mic and ethernet working.

The sound takes a couple seconds to initialize after boot and I noticed that sometimes adjusting the volume from the menu bar icon does not work until you go into preferences and adjust it. (with the provided appleHDA kexts; I did not have this issue with voodooHDA but I could never get the mic working with it either)

I do not remember which version of the realtek kext I used. Try the newer one first. Just a note: Have an ethernet cable plugged in when you boot up. Once you log in give it a while to obtain a DHCP address (if you are using one). For some reason it takes a bit longer than normal.

I also attached an atheros package. It didn't work for me so I swapped out the Wifi card with a Broadcom but maybe one of you creative people can do something with it. Honestly, I do not know if it is the correct version for the card we have.

Good luck.

Took the ZG5 apart using
and then replaced the stock wifi card with a Dell 1390 (12 bucks on eBay & free worldwide shipping) to enable native AirPort.

I also took a closer look on the internal 3G card which apparently is a Option GT M 380.

To get it working I downloaded and installed launch2net. Reboot and check Network Preferences. You should now have a bunch of new interfaces named "GTM HSUPA Modem", "GTM HSUPA WAN", "GTM HSUPA Control" etc. Remove all of the new ones, EXCEPT "GTM HSUPA Modem", by selecting one interface at a time and pressing the button with a - symbol.

Note: Make sure you leave the "GTM HSUPA Modem". If you accidentally remove that one too, press the + button and chose "GTM HSUPA Modem" from the drop down list.

Select "GTM HSUPA Modem" in Network Preferences. Check "Show modem status in menu bar" and enter #99* as phone number. Then go to "Advanced" and then choose "GPRS (GSM/3G)" in the second drop down list. Enter your APN. Press OK.

In the menubar click the phone icon and uncheck "Show connection time" and "Show status during connection".

To connect click on the phone icon and press "Connect".

DONE!

Does it matter that it says to install a version for 10.6.1 and then closes? I am guessing probably not. But I can't confirm since I have not soldered my sim card holder in yet.

ALC268_3.kextSOUNDANDEXTERNALMICWORK.zip

RealtekR1000_1.8.1.kext.zip

RealtekR1000_1.04.zip

ALC268_2SOUNDANDINTERNALMICWORK.zip

Atheros_AR5007.pkg.zip

• Like 1

Nice guide. Wish I had this when I did my install a while back.

Camera should work. I didn't check what kexts are included in your package yet but here are some I used to get the mic and ethernet working.

The sound takes a couple seconds to initialize after boot and I noticed that sometimes adjusting the volume from the menu bar icon does not work until you go into preferences and adjust it. (with the provided appleHDA kexts; I did not have this issue with voodooHDA but I could never get the mic working with it either)

I do not remember which version of the realtek kext I used. Try the newer one first. Just a note: Have an ethernet cable plugged in when you boot up. Once you log in give it a while to obtain a DHCP address (if you are using one). For some reason it takes a bit longer than normal.

I also attached an atheros package. It didn't work for me so I swapped out the Wifi card with a Broadcom but maybe one of you creative people can do something with it. Honestly, I do not know if it is the correct version for the card we have.

Good luck.

Does it matter that it says to install a version for 10.6.1 and then closes? I am guessing probably not. But I can't confirm since I have not soldered my sim card holder in yet.

Thanks for the files, finally got audio output and mic working on my Acer Aspire One and 10.6.1.

Cheers

Nice work there sudolaurel!

I won't have access to a ZG5 for a week or so, but when I get it back I'll experiment a bit with your kexts and also find the ones that the Option GT M 380 uses. Then I can modify this guide and the attached files to get the ZG5 90 % fully working from start (as soon as you copy & paste the Extra folder). No need for any crappy launch2net. Then we only need a sleep, bluetooth and card reader fix! :thumbsup_anim:

This is what I like about InsanelyMac! Fellows working together to fix 100 % fully working hackintosh systems. :thumbsup_anim:

Same here. Just install it and hope that OSX recognizes the 3G card. You can then uninstall launch2net.

Cheers,

Brian

Yes, OSX recognizes the internal camera as a native iSight camera. Check sudolaurels post with working kexts for audio out, internal mic and external mic.

Hi do you think this would work on the Aspire One A150? I'm guessing all the internals are the same?

So far got 10.5.6 running on mine. Everything is working bar the Wifi of which i will change soon to the dell.

Absolutely. And Snow Leopard will probably install & run smoother, better and faster than 10.5.6.

Read the Aspire One A150 Snow Leopard guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185194

I'm having a similar problem to beedurand. When I launch netbook-installer, I get the error stating that I'm using an unsupported device, I then choose the correct drive and select only Chameleon 2 RC3 and General Extensions and click install. It almost instantly blows up.

Does anyone know a solution for this? I don't think that this is an issue of a bad SL install on the external drive. It doesn't seem like it ever gets far enough that it's even looking at the drive. I could be wrong I suppose.

Anyone know why this fails or a way around it?

Thanks,

Greg

Well, being far too impatient to wait for advice, I drove on with some interesting results.

I was never able to get NetbookInstaller to run. So I ran NetbookMaker and continued. This, more or less worked.

I finally completed prep of the USB drive. The ZG5 wouldn't boot to it though. Every time I attempted to boot to it, the boot process failed. Aaargh. I recreated and reinstalled several times and kept getting the same results. Eventually, I decided to do a repair on the USB drive and voila! It booted.

I went through the rest of the process and even updated to 10.6.1 and almost all is good.

However, I have one big problem.

I'd had OSX on the ZG5 previously as well as XP and W7.

So, in order to maintain that setup, instead of repartitioning the existing drive, I used SuperDuper to copy to the existing OSX partition. Unfortunately, that install was MBR, not GUID and I don't think I can change that now.

Now, when I boot, the windows bootloader comes up with all three OSs present, but none will boot. :(

However, if I use the USB drive, chameleon launches and allows me to be the new install of 10.6 (from the internal drive, not the USB drive).

So, the question is: How do I get a bootloader working? I've tried running NetbookInstaller from within the new install. It runs and acts as if it is installing correctly, but I'm guessing the MBR vs GUID problem is keeping it from working.

So can Chameleon work in MBR? If so, anyone know how to install it? If not, is there any other bootloader that will work under MBR?

Thanks,

Greg

Well, I'm pleased to say that I've just spiked the ball and done a victory dance.

I now have Windows 7, Windows XP and Snow Leopard (10.6.1) booting on my ZG5 without the external drive connected!

Here's what I did:

Get the actual Chameleon package from their website. Google "Chameleon Bootloader" and you can't miss it.

Within that package, there are instruction for installing. After the install, I still couldn't boot anything without the USB drive. Sooooo.

I booted to a Winows 7 disk (an old one - early beta) and did a repair instead of an install. It found and fixed errors in the boot record and allowed me to boot to Windows 7. Yay!

Next I loaded up EasyBCD from NeoSmart. Fantastic tool.

I deleted the existing Leopard entry from that and added a new Mac entry. Upon reboot Snow Leopard launched perfectly.

I went back and did the same thing for XP and as I mentioned, all three now boot perfectly.

I still have loads of tweaking to do, but, essentially everything works. I have audio and I 'think' ethernet right now. The SD card slots don't seem to work but I don't think they ever did in Leopard either.

Ages ago I installed a dell Wifi card and that worked then and it works now for airport.

I could cry :huh:

Now, if I could just get Ubuntu installed....... (shudders at the thought of another bootloader in the mix)

Greg

hi I tried sound both of them but only external mic works. Also I have noticed that If I remove voodoo hda kext then the

sound does not work when it boot up no volume icon on top and also no sound device system preferences this both in 10.6.1 and 10.62 by the way my acer is d 250

Thanks for this - I had 10.5 and Windows 7 dual booting on my Acer, but trashed OS X with an update (10.5.6 or 7) - get the grey Apple up and then it reboots. During this process I updated the BIOS to 3310, partitioned the HDD and put an earlier version of Cameleon (1.0.12) on the machine. At start-up I get a choice for hd(0,1)MacoSX or hd(0,2) Windows NTFS at boot-up - second option presents me with windows 7 or Mac OS X. Windows 7 boots, Mac OS X sends me back to the first boot screen.

So, thought I'd give this a try.

Have the usb stick prepared as per all the steps (including the GUID option), but at Step 10 everything stalls when I enter F12 and the machine seems to lock-up. Without the stick, or with a generic stick in F12 works fine so appear a bit stuck.

Thought it might be the MBR, so tried EasyBCD (used it before in Windows 7, which is how come I have the odd start-up options!) to see if I could change anything there, but that also complains that BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Vista, or don't yet exist. Offers to correct, then wants a Boot Drive letter with only C as the option which it doesn't like. Fails and gets stuck in a loop only solved by exiting.

Options I have are to use a USB Hard drive (with lots of other stuff on I don't want to sacrifice) or burn to CD and use an external USB drive with probably the same issues as with the stick - but any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

PS - as you may guess, I'm more of a GUI person and at the limit of my comfort zone with this.....

I stuck on boot screen at setp 12. I Instal thos prep OSX on extrenal 80 GB SATA drive. Everything vent well, but now it stuck on boot screen and "no go"!!

I Presume that is just because a external HDD. It wont let me in BIOS setting, NADA...just stuck on "press F2" and "Press F12"

I stuck on boot screen at setp 12. I Instal thos prep OSX on extrenal 80 GB SATA drive. Everything vent well, but now it stuck on boot screen and "no go"!!

I Presume that is just because a external HDD. It wont let me in BIOS setting, NADA...just stuck on "press F2" and "Press F12"

I had this exact problem for a while as well. Boot something to OSX if you can and go to Disk Utility and do a 'Repair' on your USB drive. That fixed it for me anyway.

Greg

Thanks for this - I had 10.5 and Windows 7 dual booting on my Acer, but trashed OS X with an update (10.5.6 or 7) - get the grey Apple up and then it reboots. During this process I updated the BIOS to 3310, partitioned the HDD and put an earlier version of Cameleon (1.0.12) on the machine. At start-up I get a choice for hd(0,1)MacoSX or hd(0,2) Windows NTFS at boot-up - second option presents me with windows 7 or Mac OS X. Windows 7 boots, Mac OS X sends me back to the first boot screen.

So, thought I'd give this a try.

Have the usb stick prepared as per all the steps (including the GUID option), but at Step 10 everything stalls when I enter F12 and the machine seems to lock-up. Without the stick, or with a generic stick in F12 works fine so appear a bit stuck.

Thought it might be the MBR, so tried EasyBCD (used it before in Windows 7, which is how come I have the odd start-up options!) to see if I could change anything there, but that also complains that BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Vista, or don't yet exist. Offers to correct, then wants a Boot Drive letter with only C as the option which it doesn't like. Fails and gets stuck in a loop only solved by exiting.

Options I have are to use a USB Hard drive (with lots of other stuff on I don't want to sacrifice) or burn to CD and use an external USB drive with probably the same issues as with the stick - but any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

PS - as you may guess, I'm more of a GUI person and at the limit of my comfort zone with this.....

I was in a similar position. I had to fix this by getting into windows and running EasyBCD. Delete your existing OSX entry and create a new one and then be sure to tell EasyBCD to 'Write New MBR' or whatever the equivalent is. There is a command in there somewhere that does that and as I said, it fixed the MBR for me.

Greg