[Guide] Snow Lepard Retail on Asrock G31-M S and GS

46 posts in this topic

Hi Giorgio,

Just followed guide for my ASROCK G41M-VS2, sorry my board is not the same but is almost identical board. Happily the guide worked like a charm, however it looks as if I'm having the same shutdown issue as d0d0d0 (after cpu halt, screen turns off, sounds like hdd stops but system and fans remain on). I realize the mb are diff, I didn't see need for separate thread when the guide works great on it anyways. Would you advise same delete dsdt.aml to fix this?

Here's my setup;

ASROCK G41M-VS2

WOLFDALE E6300 2.8Ghz Dual-Core

2GB MUSHKIN DDR2-800

Maxtor 250GB SATAII HDD (OSX86)

WD 1.5TB SATAII HDD (stuff)

LG IDE DVD Writer

Belkin F5D5005 Gigabit LAN PCI Adapter

ASUS GEFORCE 8400GS 512MB v2 PCI-E

VoodooHDA working on Realtek661

EDIT: I just removed dsdt.aml and shutdown works! Then I applied 10.6.3 and so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't get this to work. help anyone?

MB: G31M-GS R2.0

RAM: 2 GB

HDD: SATA2 

DVD: IDE

VC: 8600GS PCIe

I have flashed the new bios

Installation just hangs on install i get a black screen and no hdd/DVD activity..waited 5 minutes nothing

Hi, I've followed your guide but I have a problem and was wondering if you could help.

I have successfully flashed the bios from v1.80 to the modified v1.30 and adjusted the settings as described.

When I boot into the Snow Leopard install DVD and select the language an error appears stating " Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer". The only options i am given are Restart or Restore from Time Machine backup. If i select restore from time machine, I am then able to run disk utility and partition my HDD but cannot get any further

My hardware is

ASRock G31M-S v2.0

Intel Q8300

Asus en8400GS 512MB

SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB

SATA DVD-ROM

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

ihe001

Hi, I've followed your guide but I have a problem and was wondering if you could help.

I have successfully flashed the bios from v1.80 to the modified v1.30 and adjusted the settings as described.

When I boot into the Snow Leopard install DVD and select the language an error appears stating " Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer". The only options i am given are Restart or Restore from Time Machine backup. If i select restore from time machine, I am then able to run disk utility and partition my HDD but cannot get any further

My hardware is

ASRock G31M-S v2.0

Intel Q8300

Asus en8400GS 512MB

SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB

SATA DVD-ROM

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

ihe001

Your HD is GUID or MBR ?

The drive was brand new and unpartitioned.

I partitioned it using Disk Utility, selected GUID

After the language selection, are you able to run disk utility?

Giorgio

After the language selection, are you able to run disk utility?

Giorgio

After the language selection I am given the option of restarting or restore from time machine backup. Disk utility is greyed out.

If I select Restore from time machine backup I am then able to use Disk Utility however when I am finished I must return to the Time machine window rather than continuing with the installation

Hi, I finally have everything working EXCEPT for the LAN, the problem must have been the DVD I was using.

I have installed the realtek kext and it seems to be recognised but i cannot attain an IP address by DHCP or manually.

Thanks so much for your guide, it has been a great help, do you have any suggestions for the ethernet?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the onboard LAN working by booting in 32bit mode, couldn't get a driver to work in 64bit.

Is anyone else having trouble with the OS not being able to access more than 3.25GB of RAM? Is this a limitation of the hacked BIOS?

(sorry if this is seen as spamming the thread but I thought I'd give an update)

Please Help!!!!

Since Yesterday every distro that I tried to install on my pc, says "FIREWIRE GUID FFFFFFFF IS INVALID"... and just stay there...

I dont understand, after that show up, I was able to install IPC 10.5 distro, but no boot by it self before instalation...

so, later, I try to install again that distro, or Iatkos, Jas, Idenet... and all says "FIREWIRE GUID FFFFF IS INVALID"...

please, help to fix that...

My bios is set up, as the guide snow leopard on asrock g31.. says...

My PC:

Intel E5200

Asrock G31-MS

4GB RAM

HD 1 TERA

video XFX Nvidia 9800GT

Pci Card Firewire 1394...

that's all...

Also my Bios is already Patchet...

so, I Would like to fix this problem, to be able to install a distro that work ok..

thanks

With this method you can have Snow Leopard Retail 64bit on Asrock G31-M S and GS motherboards

On board 2.0 USB controller conflicts with ICH7 then you need to use PS2 mouse and Keybord and you must set the BIOS as below.

You must have SATA Hard Disk and DVD recorder.

EDIT 15/02/2010: In Snow 10.6.2 with new Netkas's boot and PC EFI 10.6 the ATI Radeon 43xx 45xx and 46xx series are working with QE/CI (see Netkas site)

The on board video card (GMA3100) is not supported by Mac OS X so you need a PCI-E external card (Nvidia for me)

What you need:

1) Snow Leopard Retail DVD (legally);

2) Kexts and utilities package: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZYGRTY0L

3) An empty CD

4) An empty SATA HD for Snow Leopard

5) A USB key

You must flash the BIOS

For G31-M S: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=46734

For G31M-GS: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=46735

BIOS settings: (only the most important)

CPU Configuration:

Enhanced Halt State [Disabled]

Intel Virtualization Tech. [Enabled] : (this option is present only if your CPU supports this technology)

CPU Thermal Throttling [Enabled]

No-Execute Memory Protection [Enabled]

Intel SpeedStep Tech. [Disabled]

On-Demand Clock Modulation [Disabled]

ACPI Configuration:

Suspend To RAM [Auto]

Repost Video on STR Resume [Yes]

Check Ready Bit [Disabled]

Restore on AC/Power Loss [Power Off]

Ring-In Power On [Disabled]

PCI Devices Power On [Disabled]

PS/2 Keyboard Power On [Disabled]

RTC Alarm Power On [Disabled]

ACPI HPET Table [Enabled]

IDE Configuration:

ATA/IDE Configuration [Enhanced]

USB Configuration:

USB Controller [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Support [Enabled]

Legacy USB Support [Disabled] (PS2 mouse and keyboard)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Fase 1 (Installation)

Download the kexts and utility package;

Burn G31-M iso;

Copy the package on a USB key;

Boot the PC fron DVD writer with inside the burned G31-M CD;

When appears the Chameleon screen eject the CD;

Insert Snow Leopard DVD;

Push F5 to refresh DVD;

Choose MAC OSX INSTALL DVD;

With Disk Utility create (choose GUID partition table) a Mac OS X (journaled) partition called Snow

Install Leopard on Snow, don't install printers and the languages different from your)

At the end of installation reboot from the DVD writer with inside the G31-M CD and choose Snow (in verbose mode)

Run the wizard.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Fase 2 (Post Installation)

Insert the USB key with the kexts and utilities package and expand it on the Desktop

Run "Chameleon 2 RC3", and choose to install on Snow partition

Run "PCEFI 10.5 installer G31M" and choose to install on Snow partition

Copy from the package the Extra folder on Snow root /

With Kexthelper install from SLE voodooHDA.kext and, if you have G31-M GS motherboard, RealtekR1000.kext

Open in SLE "VoodooHDA Panel + VoodooKiller" folder and follow the instructions from file "guida voodookiller" (thank you to Barbonenet); escuse me for italian in this file, i'll translate it as soon.

You need the UUID of Snow partition: open Disk Utility, with right mouse button choose information and "copy" the Universal Ident.;

In the /Extra folder open com.apple.Boot.plist and "paste" this value instead of "mettete qui ilvostroUUID" and do the same thing with smbios.plist

Run "MacToPlatformUUID", window will appear with a Mac Address and a IOPlatformUUID; put the mac address, without columns, in the info.plist of PlatformUUID.kext in /Extra/Extensions after:

00000000-0000-1000-8000-

Run "KextUtility" and at the end close it

Reboot from Snow HD and you should have Snow Leopard 64 bit fully working except the internal mic and the sleep.

Good luck. Each council and improvement are welcome

Giorgio

Hola Giorgio!puedo tener win(7x64) y IATKOS v7 con esta configuracion?gracias!!

Hola Giorgio!puedo tener win(7x64) y IATKOS v7 con esta configuracion?gracias!!

amigo si puedes Llo Tengo El win y el mac

Pero Sitienes El Asrock g31m-s Usa El Ideneb V1.6...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone and thanks for your help I am able to get my pc system running snow leopard 10.6.3 Everything work great accept I cannot get the network card to work/access the internet. I am dual booting with Windows 7 on its own HD and able to access the internet so I do not think there is anything wrong with the built-in network card. I have tried changing the CMOS via bios and removing and inserting the internal battery without any success. Can someone walk me thru on how to get the network card to work? I desperately need help. Thanks, again.

My setup:

ASRock G31-M GS

Pentiumgrey_loader.gif Dual E2200 - 2.20

Nvidia Geforce 9300 GS

OSX 10.6.3

• 2 weeks later...
does this guide works for the asrock g31 ms R2.0

Yes

Hello everyone and thanks for your help I am able to get my pc system running snow leopard 10.6.3 Everything work great accept I cannot get the network card to work/access the internet. I am dual booting with Windows 7 on its own HD and able to access the internet so I do not think there is anything wrong with the built-in network card. I have tried changing the CMOS via bios and removing and inserting the internal battery without any success. Can someone walk me thru on how to get the network card to work? I desperately need help. Thanks, again.

My setup:

ASRock G31-M GS

Pentiumgrey_loader.gif Dual E2200 - 2.20

Nvidia Geforce 9300 GS

OSX 10.6.3

Try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=65476

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Giorgio, first, thanks for the guide.

I'm having a problem trying to flash my BIOS (on an asrock G31M-S R2.0); I booted with a DOS floppy, but when I execute "AFUDOS.EXE G31M-S130.ROM", I get the following error message: -Error: Problem opening file for reading. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or does anyone know how to solve this?. I've also tried upgrading from the BIOS itself with the instant flash utility, but it seems it doesn't recognize the file as an update file. By the way, my BIOS firmware is v. 1.80, and I took the afudos program from the oficial asrock BIOS update zip.

Thanks in advance for any help!

edit: Nevermind, I finally managed to flash the BIOS from windows and booted Snow Leopard... Man, I must say it's astonishing! ;) It runs wicked fast, even faster than my native linux and windows installations. Thanks a lot for the guide, it works 100% once one has flashed the BIOS. Something weird though, is that the BIOS screen still says the firmware is version 1.80, but as long as it works, there's no problem.

Regards.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...