Which Bluetooth Dongle to use with a Hackintosh?

El Mindo

Which Bluetooth Dongle?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which bluetooth dongle do you use / would you recommend?

• Asus USB-BT21 Mini Bluetooth Dongle
    • Linksys USBBT100
    • Belkin F8T017ng
    • D-Link DBT-120
    • CNet Bluetooth USB Dongle
    • Gigabyte GN-BTD02
    • Broadcom BCM2045 Bluetooth
    • Sitecom CN-521 Bluetooth
    • Other

21 posts in this topic

Looking for a good and reliable bluetooth dongle, and thought I'd ask what other people are using (or would recommend). Listed a couple in the poll, but too many models and brands to list all. Hope you get the idea...

Read a bit here:

Bluetooth on Hackintosh, What to look out for + what distance do you get with 100M dongle:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9324&st=100

And also now that the new Magic Mouse is out:

Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=193272

Would be grateful for all comments and input.

Thanks

Using a Dlink DBT-120 here with the Apple Bluetooth Firmware 1.2 Update.

Magic Mouse works great with it - very responsive.

Only issue I have with it is that the 'Allow bluetooth devices to wake up this computer' option is greyed out with 10.6.1 - common problem apparently, even on true Macs and not that fussed about it. Just means I have to use the power button to wake up rather than a click of the mouse...

Using a Dlink DBT-120 here with the Apple Bluetooth Firmware 1.2 Update.

Magic Mouse works great with it - very responsive.

Only issue I have with it is that the 'Allow bluetooth devices to wake up this computer' option is greyed out with 10.6.1 - common problem apparently, even on true Macs and not that fussed about it. Just means I have to use the power button to wake up rather than a click of the mouse...

When I originally installed MM I was able to wake the computer via clicking or shaking the mouse.

At the time I was using a Belkin but on waking I lost the scroll features. After messing about I lost the wake feature

I'm now using a Trust dongle which works perfectly on waking, however I haven't tried how to fix the wake via BT

feature but I guess it will come back in time

Apple's documentation states that if wake from BT is greyed out it means that it is supported as default

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3887

• 3 weeks later...

I read on Apple Forums that trashing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth file + restart should help and bring back the Bluetooth wake option with the DBT-120. As i am running some conversions now i can't test it. Maybe you give it a try.

Using Systemprofiler i get this Firmwareversion: " Firmware-Version: 1586" Does anyone know if this is the latest Apple Firmware for that stick? I tried running the Apple Fimrware Updater 1.2.1 but it seems it does not work on SL anymore :-(

• 2 weeks later...
I read on Apple Forums that trashing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth file + restart should help and bring back the Bluetooth wake option with the DBT-120. As i am running some conversions now i can't test it. Maybe you give it a try.

Using Systemprofiler i get this Firmwareversion: " Firmware-Version: 1586" Does anyone know if this is the latest Apple Firmware for that stick? I tried running the Apple Fimrware Updater 1.2.1 but it seems it does not work on SL anymore :-(

Wake on BlueTooth works with Trust 2400p if you edit the BTFamily kexts and have the right dongle

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1348305

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. I take amigafred91 advice i bought an Asus BT21 and i it works OOTB !!! Works perfectly..just plug and works.. Even works perfectly after wake computer from sleep, mouse works fine and other bt devices connect with computer with no problem after wake up..Thnaks a lot AMIGAFRED91..Regards

• 3 months later...

I have a Targus ACB10US (Silver stick version) and it works fine with keyboard and headset.

I also have a Cirago BTA3210 and it works with my headphones, but with my BT keyboard it wants to repair at every boot.

• 2 months later...

I just ordered my Asus USB-BT21 Mini Bluetooth Dongle from ebay. BRAND NEW never opened got it for $15.00 free shipping. I had to stay with the Asus products since my hackintosh is a Asus. I hope this isnt gonna bit me in the end. Has anyone tryed the new Magic Mighty Mouse or the Magic Track Pad? Let me know, I picked up a Mighty Mouse from C-List for $15.00 bucks.

Coop

• 4 months later...

Out of the 7 or 8 that I own, the Belkin one in my sig was the best until I followed the various methods on here to get the genuine Apple Bluetooth module work.

The Apple one just works, no additional kexts for tweaking required.

• 3 months later...

There is no Belkin adaptor listed in your sig lol!

Not this one bychance? http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.pro...oduct_Id=398674

I also found this list:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/B...dapter_Database

This is quite frustrating, I've read all the forums and the information seems to be very dated with products that are very hard to find. The suggested ones such as Trust doesn't even operate in Australia and some of those manufacturers I have never even heard of. Sigh.

I think the only option for me is the Belkin F8T016 (not cheap) which doesn't work with sleep (but seriously how hard is it to turn off a PC when you are finished using it). I wanted to get the Magic Pad as I think it's just an awesome idea, but I will need a bluetooth adaptor that is going to work with it. Has anyone more recently had success with Bluetooth adaptors still on the market?

• 1 month later...

I recently got a Belkin F8T017ng BT Adaptor (which has a Broadcom Chipset).

Works under 10.7.1 OOTB without problems (sleep is grayed out though) . Magic Trackpad works and stays connected after reboot. [Core2Duo, GA EP35-DS4]

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I tried to get almost all of the products mentioned on this page and I can not find any. Does anyone know of a modern BT adapter that will work with ML and Maverivks? I am planning to use a magic mouse, magic trackpad, and an apple BT keyboard

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I tried to get almost all of the products mentioned on this page and I can not find any. Does anyone know of a modern BT adapter that will work with ML and Maverivks? I am planning to use a magic mouse, magic trackpad, and an apple BT keyboard

Get IOGear or MediaLink's bluetooth 4.0 dongle. Both work well under 10.8 and 10.9.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed wake on Bluetooth with Magic Mouse seems to be fixed on Mavericks 10.9.1 , working out of the box for me using a Trust Broadcom dongle 

Also the intermittent dropping of connection seems fixed 

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.2.0f6 12982

Hardware Settings:

Address: 00-02-72-13-59-3F

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chipset: Unknown (ffff)

Firmware Version: v14 c16384

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Off

Connectable: Yes

Auto Seek Keyboard: On