[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

cnunez1987

cnunez1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey all, It's been a while seen I attended this thread. How are all of you doing? Well, to the point: 1. has anyone gotten sleep to work? it's the one thing I never got working on my e6400, and 2. any of you guys have poor performance playing hd video through youtube or other web sites. Through vlc or even quicktime sometimes it plays fine, but it is EXTREMELY choppy in safari/firefox/opera/chrome (I've tried them all :-/) G*D DAMN FLASH!!!!

I got sleep to work. It's pretty simple to get up and running; search for my short instruction post a couple pages back. You'll get to keep your webcam too. :P You will lose shutdown and restart, though.

Are you sure you're using the nVIDIA drivers and not VESA? Check in System Profiler.

ajvos

ajvos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dsdt.aml with native powermanagement / speedstep / graphics / sleep / hibernation / usb / shutdown fix!

Hi, after much reading in this forum I managed to compile a dsdt.aml for e6500 with basically everything working in 10.6.4 64 bit.

no need for sleepenabler.kext, disabler.kext, custom iousbfamily.kext with broken usb2, graphics enabler, etc

My /Extra/Extensions looks like:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext (just deleted ApplePS2Trackpad under Plugins)
VoodooBattery.kext
fakesmc.kext

I added in /System/Library/Extensions:

VoodooHDA.kext
VoodooSDHC.kext
Intel82566MM.kext
DellBluetoothHCI.kext

All else is vanilla!

My com.apple.Boot.plist

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Attached Files

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hey thank you so much. now that all of that is fixed i'm considering doing a fresh install without all of those extra kexts I added. how did you do the install? Boot 132 and retail install dvd? did you use the combo update or normal system updates. I have a time machine backup so I'm not worried about losing my data. Well...I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks so much for your help

Ben

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could you maybe zip and post your /E/E and /S/L/E folders?

I'm having several driver issues since switching to your DSDT.

dsdt.aml with native powermanagement / speedstep / graphics / sleep / hibernation / usb / shutdown fix!

Hi, after much reading in this forum I managed to compile a dsdt.aml for e6500 with basically everything working in 10.6.4 64 bit.

no need for sleepenabler.kext, disabler.kext, custom iousbfamily.kext with broken usb2, graphics enabler, etc

My /Extra/Extensions looks like:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext (just deleted ApplePS2Trackpad under Plugins)
VoodooBattery.kext
fakesmc.kext

I added in /System/Library/Extensions:

VoodooHDA.kext
VoodooSDHC.kext
Intel82566MM.kext
DellBluetoothHCI.kext

All else is vanilla!

My com.apple.Boot.plist

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Could you maybe zip and post your /E/E and /S/L/E folders?

I'm having several driver issues since switching to your DSDT.

The dsdt worked great for me. Now everything is working except internal LAN any ideas guys?

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On a tangent...which wifi card do you have? and is it working?

I don't have Audio, Keyboard, Mouse, touchpad, internal lan

I'm pretty sure it's because I have replaced them with drivers from the Calver bundles, etc...

Can you post your two extensions folders and I'll work on LAN?

The dsdt worked great for me. Now everything is working except internal LAN any ideas guys?

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So I just did a clean install...updated to 10.6.4 used the attached DSDT and boot.plist

but I'm not having nearly as good of luck...I have no audio, no keyboard, no touchpad, no bluetooth, no LAN,

graphics, USB, Sleep, shutdown, and restart all appear to work. Maybe I don't have updated 64bit drivers?

Any ideas?

On a tangent...which wifi card do you have? and is it working?

I don't have Audio, Keyboard, Mouse, touchpad, internal lan

I'm pretty sure it's because I have replaced them with drivers from the Calver bundles, etc...

Can you post your two extensions folders and I'll work on LAN?

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry to post so much. Got wired LAN working..need the 64 bit driver which I've attached in your /S/L/E

Also had to get the 64 bit bluetooth but that seems to be OK now. Still working on sound.

Also, shutdown seems to work but not restart.

Attached Files

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Used OSXRestart to get restart working. So far the only thing not working with the new DSDT is sound. I know all I need is the right kext if someone can help me out.

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Finally have everything working except of course Intell 5300 WLAN. Have a USB Wifi stick that works quite well. Shutdown/sleep/restart/audio

This is finally a solid every day use laptop.

Thanks ajvos and supbtsup!

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Finally have everything working except of course Intell 5300 WLAN. Have a USB Wifi stick that works quite well. Shutdown/sleep/restart/audio

This is finally a solid every day use laptop.

Thanks ajvos and supbtsup!

Thanks for the ethernet 64 bit fix. It worked great. I got a cheap Dell WLAN card online, solved my wireless problem.

EinsteinTaylor

EinsteinTaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Does your VoodooHDA work with prefpane? My does not. Not a big deal as it works, but would like to have that. If it works can you attach your VoodooHDA?

SuperRob64

SuperRob64

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all. Doesn't look like there's been much here since the beginning of October. Trying to get my head around the OSX stuff has been a fun project.

I've been able to get just about everything working on my E6500 except the built-in keyboard and mouse have not worked reliably. Booting from TonyMacOSX86's ##### Supported CD, I can install if I boot in Safe Boot mode. On that, and the subsequent reboot (before installing Chameleon), built-in keyboard works, but the nub does not and the trackpad is crazy. After installing Chameleon and booting from the hard drive, neither works. ##### probably has kexts loading that get me nearly there.

I'm trying to install using the EFI partition method, since I'd like my install to be as vanilla as possible. However, I think this causes conflicts with existing kexts that I have not removed from S/L/E. Is it necessary to remove/modify kexts in that location, or can everything be run from the EFI partition reliably? If I can run them all from EFI, is there a utility that will repair permissions and update the kext caches in that location?

Update: Gave up on trying to run from the EFI partition. Seems like too many changes needed to be made to S/L/E. I have everything working now except for the mouse nub/trackpad. Sound works, but after sleep I get a constant beeping until I reboot. Other than that, it's working brilliantly.

edelstahlratte

edelstahlratte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Did you notice that the CPU Performance drops heavily with this DSDT?

With Xbench total score drops dramatically from 170 to 53 for my E6500 with P9500 2.53GHz

When installing NullCpu kext it becomes 170 again, however then shutdown crashes.

Maybe there is some wrong values in the speedstep Section of your DSDT?

jichi

jichi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sorry to post so much. Got wired LAN working..need the 64 bit driver which I've attached in your /S/L/E

Also had to get the 64 bit bluetooth but that seems to be OK now. Still working on sound.

Also, shutdown seems to work but not restart.

Hi EinsteinTaylor,
I am also stuck at the sound. Everything worked except sound/mic. May I know how you finally make your sound work? By editing your dsdt, or using a modified version of VoodooHDA.kext? Thanks a lot!

P.S. The problem I encountered follows:
- dsdt.aml by ajvos, tried VoodooHDA 0.2.2/2.7.1/2.7.2 with prefPane.
- Without VoodooHDA, got "assert(0 != result) ..." warning with AppleMikeyHIDDriver.kext and AppleHDA.kext.
- With VoodooHDA in /S/L/E, got kernel panic.

Update.
Just make VoodooHDA work! I didn't notice that VoodooHDA did conflict with AppleHDA.kext.
Thanks a lot for all guys on this thread! (:P)

rachanta

rachanta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have successfully loaded Lion Gold Master on my Dell Latitude E6400. I created a Lion USB installer. The installer is a 8GB USB GUID partition that automatically gets named as Mac OS X Base system when it is restored from Base System.dmg on Lion Gold Master. Then I , copied fakesmc, ACPIPlatform…, IOPCI… in /S/L/E on the installer drive.

I used Kext Wizard which also repairs /S/L/E permissions on the installer. Kext Wizard allows you to load kexts to other drives and repair other drives (from the one you are booted into) is a great help.

As I was loading Lion on an MBR partition I replaced:

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and

/Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

–on the installer drive with modified files (obtained by googling) Then I booted into the USB installer using Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083.pkg loaded on my existing SL drive, with -v -f flags.

Then I followed regular install process. Once install is through I booted into existing SL and copied fakesmc, ACPIPlatform…, IOPCI… in /S/L/E on the new Lion Drive with Kext Wizard and repaired /S/L/E permissions. I also copied com.apple.Boot.plist from my old SL into /E of the new Lion Drive and repaired permissions on /E as well.

This last step is essential to avoid kernel panic or keyboard freeze at login time after loading Chameleon on the new Lion Drive. After initial boot up, for whatever system that didnt work, I used my old SL kexts, such as IONetworkingFamily.kext, IO80211Family.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC, AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext

To enable native ntfs, I used iBlacky method of copying mount_ntfs to mount_ntfs.org and saving the follwing script to mount_ntfs:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount_ntfs.orig -o rw “$@“

For this too I had to load the kext from SL. I now have a fully working Lion Gold Master. As it doesnt have nvidia, I cannot enjoy all graphic applications, but it does better than my SL, as I able to open jpegs with Preview.app.

Though moved into os x in a big way, and I now keep playing between Linux and OS X and need Windows at work. So the answer is triple boot or multi boot.

I have Lion, Windows 7 and Ubuntu (yes folks Ubuntu) all loaded on my jacknife USB Storejet. It boots into Windows (on HDD), OS X Lion (on HDD), OS X Snow Leopard on USB StoreJet, OS X Lion USB Installer and Linux (Ubuntu 11 (natty)) allowing me to boot almost any machine that has no password at BIOS level.

I also have Lion and Windows dual boot on my Hard Drive (could have gone triple, but needed more discspace for other stuff)

General loading sequence for triple boot:

First install Windows. While doing this, make enough partitions for the three OSes and data.

Next load Ubuntu. Ubuntu grub gets loaded (you can update-grub later to allow boot from grub to os x). Grub is to be loaded only on the partition containing the Linux File System (eg., sdc3), and not root of the USB StoreJet, sdc during the Linux installation. This makes Ubuntu access from Chameleon (which we will load subsequently) possible.

Finally load Lion (MBR- only MBR can coexist with Windows). With Lion load the Chameleon boot loader (Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083) which now operates as an overall cover boot loader that accesses a secondary Ubuntu grub list boot loader, Windows and OS X.

Further made a lamp server using Michael Gracie and Jason’s tutes:

http://michaelgracie.....pard-10-6-1/

http://verysimple.co...6-snow-leopard/

Now I am fully set to work with my with my Dell-E6400-Latitude-Lion

lolo1234

lolo1234

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
Thanks to this tutorial I've made an successful installation of Snow Leopard (nom I'm running a 10.6.7 version) on my Dell latitude E6400.
But, I've a little problem concerning youtube and video streaming. I can only heard the sound, but I have no video (it's blank).
Maybe it's due to the graphic card that is not working correctly
Does anyone know what I need to do in order to have the video ?

Thanks a lot

poordna

poordna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Do hope that I'm not "necrobumping" here but I'm running into a problem every time I attempt to do a combo update. First I tried 10.6.6, then 10.6.3. Each time I did indeed watch S/L/E like a hawk and deleted AppleHDA the second it arrived...

But then I get kernel panic, somewhere near the middle of the page it mentions sleepenabler... Should I have deleted this?

poordna

poordna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is outrageous... I've recreated the first volume in Ubuntu, in OSX, AND in GParted and no matter how I do it, Windows setup says it cannot install on the hard drive because the partition is "gpt"

AnaktuvGod

AnaktuvGod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
rachanta!!!!!!!!!! Please I beg of your E6400 MASTERY! Show me the way Sifu. train me in the arts lol. Kudos to you though you have the configuration I need. Please if you can post a baby step by baby step quick tutorial and post everything I would need to clone your lion as far as kexts, dsdt, etc. I would really appreciate it. Right now I believe im using the ##### method i read from either this or another thread and seems everthing is working fine.....in snow leopard. I need Lion please. I have an 8GB flash drive i just bought today from fry's so im ready to turn it to a gold installer. Please help the experienced novice.

Im sure your lion install alone whether you dual, triple boot or not is great in itself. Lion belongs on the E6400. Please post tut if you can.

*Also any 775 socket owners interesed in a nice hackintoshable piece of hardware should consider tthe barebone XG41 Shuttle. Its a mini-itx form mini desktop and its components are very hackintosh friendly; ethernet..sound.. (still working on video but support exists) $149 @ time of posting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy