[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I updated to 10.6.4 yesterday and shouldn't have...now the Dell 1510 isn't recognized so I am without WIFI and I can no longer plug my laptop into the docking station -- it just freezes when I do.

Can anybody help?

I've tried several IONetworkingFamily kexts and just installed the newer VoodooPowerAcpi and VoodooPowerMini kexts to see if they resolve the speedstep (locked at 1.53GHz) and docking station issues...off to reboot.

Please help!

-RDR

I updated to 10.6.4 yesterday and shouldn't have...now the Dell 1510 isn't recognized so I am without WIFI and I can no longer plug my laptop into the docking station -- it just freezes when I do.

Can anybody help?

I've tried several IONetworkingFamily kexts and just installed the newer VoodooPowerAcpi and VoodooPowerMini kexts to see if they resolve the speedstep (locked at 1.53GHz) and docking station issues...off to reboot.

Please help!

-RDR

Update: I had to remove both of the VoodooPower kexts because I couldn't boot with them. I am still without wifi (even with the -f option in my boot.plist)...and if I plug the laptop into the dock it freezes...

-RDR

Update: I had to remove both of the VoodooPower kexts because I couldn't boot with them. I am still without wifi (even with the -f option in my boot.plist)...and if I plug the laptop into the dock it freezes...

-RDR

Yeah, WiFi doesn't work for me either, even with the -f option. Have to resort to wired Ethernet. Sure hope somebody can figure this out. I don't mind the shutdown bug since I simply choose 'restart' and turn the 6500 off at the dual boot menu, but I miss the wireless for sure.

--Dan--

So it's been a few months since I installed OS X on my E6500, and it's still working great! With that said, has anyone been experiencing an issue where the laptop will not boot up at all after sleeping or shutting down? It happens extremely randomly and without warning for me, and it's an extremely frustrating process trying to get it back up again. (Pulling the CMOS battery usually works, but I think it failed for me once or twice.)

I think it's OS-dependent, since replacing my motherboard did nothing and I never experienced this while it had Windows 7 installed. If it helps, I have InsomniaX installed. (It's lead to other weird behavior, but it's the only service that allows me to use my external monitor with the lid closed. Clamshell Mode doesn't seem to work on OSx86 builds...)

Thanks!

-cmn

I almost have everything working. If I follow the instructions from carman on page 4 with the exception of using my retail OSX 10.6.3 disk instead of the one he mentioned. If I use his extras folder everything works except my keyboard, trackstick and touchpad. USB ones will work when I plug them in, but not the integrated one. Here's the specs that matter on my E6500:

2.8 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, Quadro NVS160M, WUXGA (1920x1200) screen, backlit keyboard, contactless smartcard reader and fingerprint scanner

Anyone able to help me figure this out? I'd really like to use my keyboard when I put my Mac OS drive in my laptop while I'm at home. If there's any files I need to post, I'll gladly attach them.

What do you mean your keyboard does not work ? Is it a layout problem ?

Anyhow I attached my extra folder, you could give it a try.

the Only thing that does not work is the microphone, if somebody coudl help.

Extra.zip

What do you mean your keyboard does not work ? Is it a layout problem ?

Anyhow I attached my extra folder, you could give it a try.

the Only thing that does not work is the microphone, if somebody coudl help.

No. Not a layout problem. My keyboard and trackstick work fine if I boot off the boot132 disk I use, but no bluetooth, only 1280x800 video etc. Once I install a bootloader, copy the extras folder, run KextUtility and reboot, most things work except my keyboard, trackstick and touchpad. If I press keys or go to try to move the cursor nothing happens. Could it be because of all the UUID messages I get on boot when booting from the HDD?

No. Not a layout problem. My keyboard and trackstick work fine if I boot off the boot132 disk I use, but no bluetooth, only 1280x800 video etc. Once I install a bootloader, copy the extras folder, run KextUtility and reboot, most things work except my keyboard, trackstick and touchpad. If I press keys or go to try to move the cursor nothing happens. Could it be because of all the UUID messages I get on boot when booting from the HDD?

I don't think so.

Did you try my Extra folder ?

John

Hello to all :D and sorry for the little offtopic

I have an asus UL50VG with switchable graphic cards gma 4500 mhd and geforce g210M but i cant get to active g210M (dedicated graphic card) for get qe/ci.

I need an actually hackintosh laptop 15" compatible with snow leopard for use xcode and I supose that the graphic card must be compatible with qe/ci.

Is the last dell latitude E6400/6500 fully compatible with snow leopard (video qe/ci; audio; wifi) and could work with xcode ?

If this was right, what specifications I must select from the web of Dell. This is very important for me.

Thanks a lot to all and sorry for the offtopic and my english.

Regards Seahawk ;)

Hey all, It's been a while seen I attended this thread. How are all of you doing? Well, to the point: 1. has anyone gotten sleep to work? it's the one thing I never got working on my e6400, and 2. any of you guys have poor performance playing hd video through youtube or other web sites. Through vlc or even quicktime sometimes it plays fine, but it is EXTREMELY choppy in safari/firefox/opera/chrome (I've tried them all :-/) G*D DAMN FLASH!!!!

Hey all, It's been a while seen I attended this thread. How are all of you doing? Well, to the point: 1. has anyone gotten sleep to work? it's the one thing I never got working on my e6400, and 2. any of you guys have poor performance playing hd video through youtube or other web sites. Through vlc or even quicktime sometimes it plays fine, but it is EXTREMELY choppy in safari/firefox/opera/chrome (I've tried them all :-/) G*D DAMN FLASH!!!!

I got sleep to work. It's pretty simple to get up and running; search for my short instruction post a couple pages back. You'll get to keep your webcam too. :P You will lose shutdown and restart, though.

Are you sure you're using the nVIDIA drivers and not VESA? Check in System Profiler.

dsdt.aml with native powermanagement / speedstep / graphics / sleep / hibernation / usb / shutdown fix!

Hi, after much reading in this forum I managed to compile a dsdt.aml for e6500 with basically everything working in 10.6.4 64 bit.

no need for sleepenabler.kext, disabler.kext, custom iousbfamily.kext with broken usb2, graphics enabler, etc

My /Extra/Extensions looks like:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext (just deleted ApplePS2Trackpad under Plugins)

VoodooBattery.kext

fakesmc.kext

I added in /System/Library/Extensions:

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

All else is vanilla!

My com.apple.Boot.plist

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

</dict>

</plist>

dsdt.aml.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thank you so much. now that all of that is fixed i'm considering doing a fresh install without all of those extra kexts I added. how did you do the install? Boot 132 and retail install dvd? did you use the combo update or normal system updates. I have a time machine backup so I'm not worried about losing my data. Well...I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks so much for your help

Ben

Could you maybe zip and post your /E/E and /S/L/E folders?

I'm having several driver issues since switching to your DSDT.

dsdt.aml with native powermanagement / speedstep / graphics / sleep / hibernation / usb / shutdown fix!

Hi, after much reading in this forum I managed to compile a dsdt.aml for e6500 with basically everything working in 10.6.4 64 bit.

no need for sleepenabler.kext, disabler.kext, custom iousbfamily.kext with broken usb2, graphics enabler, etc

My /Extra/Extensions looks like:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext (just deleted ApplePS2Trackpad under Plugins)

VoodooBattery.kext

fakesmc.kext

I added in /System/Library/Extensions:

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

All else is vanilla!

My com.apple.Boot.plist

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Could you maybe zip and post your /E/E and /S/L/E folders?

I'm having several driver issues since switching to your DSDT.

The dsdt worked great for me. Now everything is working except internal LAN any ideas guys?

On a tangent...which wifi card do you have? and is it working?

I don't have Audio, Keyboard, Mouse, touchpad, internal lan

I'm pretty sure it's because I have replaced them with drivers from the Calver bundles, etc...

Can you post your two extensions folders and I'll work on LAN?

The dsdt worked great for me. Now everything is working except internal LAN any ideas guys?

So I just did a clean install...updated to 10.6.4 used the attached DSDT and boot.plist

but I'm not having nearly as good of luck...I have no audio, no keyboard, no touchpad, no bluetooth, no LAN,

graphics, USB, Sleep, shutdown, and restart all appear to work. Maybe I don't have updated 64bit drivers?

Any ideas?

On a tangent...which wifi card do you have? and is it working?

I don't have Audio, Keyboard, Mouse, touchpad, internal lan

I'm pretty sure it's because I have replaced them with drivers from the Calver bundles, etc...

Can you post your two extensions folders and I'll work on LAN?