[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I'm having the same problem actually. If I run too many torrents at once and try to run. Another program I get the same ptoblem. Also...I can't get my native instruments audio kontrol 1 interface driver to work

Hi all,

Huge thanks to carmen23 for his PDF and prepackaged kexts. I got my E6500 to boot and it's running pretty well. My main problem at this point is that when I leave the system up and running for over 24 hours, at some point it freezes. "Freezing" looks like:

1) Busy cursor over any finder windows or menu bar.
2) Clicking anywhere on the dock has no effect.
3) I can move other windows that are open (like Terminal).
4) If I try to run a command within Terminal, there's no response after I hit return.
5) If I press the power button, I get the shutdown dialog. But when I press enter, the system doesn't shutdown.
6) The disk is very busy.

Anybody else seen this?

Thanks again for everyone's help and expertise!!

schteve

randybastard

randybastard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I now have an almost fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 install on a Dell Latitude 6500.

Here are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz P8700
Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
WUXGA 1920x1200
Dell Wireless 1397

My machine is lacking some of the bells and whistles like bluetooth and webcam but almost everything I do have is working. Following the PDF manual went well and I only had to search for an IO80211Family.kext file that I found in a thread about the Inspiron 1545 (http://rapidshare.co...reless.rar.html)

Like many people here, sleep and restart and shutdown do not work for me. But I don't really care that much about sleeping as this thing boots amazingly fast and I don't mind pushing a button to complete the shutdown process. On the other hand, if anyone has a foolproof method of making these functions work, I'm open to giving it a go.

The one sticking point that I'm having is that I cannot get my touchpad/trackpad to work. It just goes crazy whenever I even come near it. I've tried many of the suggested solutions here and either they don't change anything or they stop my keyboard and mouse from functioning entirely until I restore the original kexts. The VoodooPS2.kext actually broke my USB ports too so even hooking up an external keyboard did not work. Can anyone shed any light on this? If I can get my touchpad to work, I'll be one happy camper.

Thank you.

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Wow. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I now have an almost fully working Snow Leopard 10.6.2 install on a Dell Latitude 6500.

Here are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz P8700
Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
WUXGA 1920x1200
Dell Wireless 1397

My machine is lacking some of the bells and whistles like bluetooth and webcam but almost everything I do have is working. Following the PDF manual went well and I only had to search for an IO80211Family.kext file that I found in a thread about the Inspiron 1545 (http://rapidshare.co...reless.rar.html)

Like many people here, sleep and restart and shutdown do not work for me. But I don't really care that much about sleeping as this thing boots amazingly fast and I don't mind pushing a button to complete the shutdown process. On the other hand, if anyone has a foolproof method of making these functions work, I'm open to giving it a go.

The one sticking point that I'm having is that I cannot get my touchpad/trackpad to work. It just goes crazy whenever I even come near it. I've tried many of the suggested solutions here and either they don't change anything or they stop my keyboard and mouse from functioning entirely until I restore the original kexts. The VoodooPS2.kext actually broke my USB ports too so even hooking up an external keyboard did not work. Can anyone shed any light on this? If I can get my touchpad to work, I'll be one happy camper.

Thank you.

I had the same problem and was able to figure it out. You just go to extra/extensions. Find ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click go to show package contents. Go to the contents folder then plugins and in there you should see ApplePS2Trackpad.kext Delete that, restart and you are home free. I have found that the best way to do this is to make a copy of ApplePS2Controller.kext on your desktop. Then delete the file from the contents. Then drag the new kext back into your extensions folder

Hope this helps. It did for me

randybastard

randybastard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I had the same problem and was able to figure it out. You just go to extra/extensions. Find ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click go to show package contents. Go to the contents folder then plugins and in there you should see ApplePS2Trackpad.kext Delete that, restart and you are home free. I have found that the best way to do this is to make a copy of ApplePS2Controller.kext on your desktop. Then delete the file from the contents. Then drag the new kext back into your extensions folder

Hope this helps. It did for me

I saw this method earlier in this thread and tried it, but it didn't change anything for me. The trackpad still went crazy and everything else still worked. Did you have to repair permissions after moving the file back and forth? I used kextHelper after running the rm command from terminal.

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

I saw this method earlier in this thread and tried it, but it didn't change anything for me. The trackpad still went crazy and everything else still worked. Did you have to repair permissions after moving the file back and forth? I used kextHelper after running the rm command from terminal.

Kexthelper puts it in system/library/extensions. You want it in extra/extensions. Then use kept utility or osx86tools

randybastard

randybastard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Kexthelper puts it in system/library/extensions. You want it in extra/extensions. Then use kept utility or osx86tools

Awesome, thanks, I will try that after I finish installing Windows 7. Hope it works!

randybastard

randybastard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, no joy on the trackpad. More details on the issue:

The default install includes the ApplePS2Controller.kext, so I tried your suggestion of putting VoodooPS2Controller.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder both with that option selected and deselected on install. I ended up doing a default install again because I just wanted to use the machine.

In my System/Library/Extensions folder I have these files:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

In my Extra/Extensions folder I have these files:
ApplePS2Controller.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Am I supposed to remove all of the files listed above and just put VoodooPS2Controller.kext into Extra/Extensions? It didn't seem to work when I did that originally. Maybe AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext needs to be present in the SLE folder or ApplePS2Controller.kext?

Thanks so much for your help.

schtoll

schtoll

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i tried to install like it is written in the topic.

My system ist an E6400.

I have a issue after booting from the original DVD.

1. Boot 132 CD ISO after that i have inserted the MACOS DVD (it is a downloaded dmg, witch i had to convert with dmg2img and burned after that).

As I intestert the DVD after pressing F5 nothing happens, after that i can sellect the boot hdd, by pressing the right hex code to boot from dvd.
After that i get a screen where this information is written:

Darvin/x86 boot v5.0.132_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre
4096MB memory
VESA v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)
Loading Darwin/x86
Loading kernel mach_kernel
Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4233b00
_

After that nothning happens anymore.

carman23

carman23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi, i tried to install like it is written in the topic.

My system ist an E6400.

I have a issue after booting from the original DVD.

1. Boot 132 CD ISO after that i have inserted the MACOS DVD (it is a downloaded dmg, witch i had to convert with dmg2img and burned after that).

As I intestert the DVD after pressing F5 nothing happens, after that i can sellect the boot hdd, by pressing the right hex code to boot from dvd.
After that i get a screen where this information is written:

Darvin/x86 boot v5.0.132_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre
4096MB memory
VESA v3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)
Loading Darwin/x86
Loading kernel mach_kernel
_

After that nothning happens anymore.

Yup. Same thing happened to me. That's why I found another way to do this and added my instructions and files to this thread here. It's post #68:
http://www.insanelym...p...94738&st=67

ntyonline

ntyonline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Yup. Same thing happened to me. That's why I found another way to do this and added my instructions and files to this thread here. It's post #68:

Is your trackpad working?

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Make sure you have the *newest* version of voodoops2controller (available here http://forum.voodoop...opic,235.0.html) Also, remove BOTH APPLEACPIPS2 in Extra and in S/L/E. You should not have duplicates (how you got them I'm not sure maybe you used kexthelper when you were supposed to put them in Extra). Whatever the case. This is what worked for me. I hope it helps you out.

Well, no joy on the trackpad. More details on the issue:

The default install includes the ApplePS2Controller.kext, so I tried your suggestion of putting VoodooPS2Controller.kext into the Extra/Extensions folder both with that option selected and deselected on install. I ended up doing a default install again because I just wanted to use the machine.

In my System/Library/Extensions folder I have these files:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

In my Extra/Extensions folder I have these files:
ApplePS2Controller.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Am I supposed to remove all of the files listed above and just put VoodooPS2Controller.kext into Extra/Extensions? It didn't seem to work when I did that originally. Maybe AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext needs to be present in the SLE folder or ApplePS2Controller.kext?

Thanks so much for your help.

schtoll

schtoll

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, thanks for your post.

Not true the Guide but have used the idea of it ;), just follwed the steps till my keyboard hadnt start working ;)

I got my i got it running again, Im lucky that i have an older Installation of MACos that saved me a lot of time while trying with the 10.6.2

but i have still a bit issue, and i dont understand where i have to serach for it.
Well the biggest problem are the PS2 perivels build in mice(track point or pad) and keyboard. Ethernet works and my external wifi :) whats good :), and ihve heard some sounds :)

well i saw i got a lot of kext installed might it be possible that some kext is blocking the PS2?

Make sure you have the *newest* version of voodoops2controller (available here http://forum.voodoop...opic,235.0.html) Also, remove BOTH APPLEACPIPS2 in Extra and in S/L/E. You should not have duplicates (how you got them I'm not sure maybe you used kexthelper when you were supposed to put them in Extra). Whatever the case. This is what worked for me. I hope it helps you out.

Hi, where is the difference between the 2 extensions folders? :)

randybastard

randybastard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well, I don't know what is going on with my install, but without both AppleACPIPS2.kext files installed, I do not have full functionality of my machine. If the one from SLE is missing then I have no USB port functionality. If the one from EE is missing then the built-in keyboard and mouse nub don't work. I'm feeling a bit frustrated at this point, but appreciate all the help you've given me. If you or anyone have any further suggestions or questions, I'm very appreciative of any help that you can offer.

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Anyone try 10.6.3 update?

carman23

carman23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Anyone try 10.6.3 update?

I did, and it works perfectly.

Is your trackpad working?

Sadly, no. The keyboard "nub" works fine, but touching the trackpad makes the cursor go crazy, and it "clicks" the mouse button countless times while it's jumping all over the place.

I suspect that the kexts and suggestions that have worked for others, are not working for me because I'm using the 64-bit kernel, while I believe the suggested kexts are compiled for 32-bit only.

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Sadly, no. The keyboard "nub" works fine, but touching the trackpad makes the cursor go crazy, and it "clicks" the mouse button countless times while it's jumping all over the place.

I suspect that the kexts and suggestions that have worked for others, are not working for me because I'm using the 64-bit kernel, while I believe the suggested kexts are compiled for 32-bit only.

Everything except sleep/shutdown works on my 10:6:3. Ill post a zip of my extras and extensions folders when I get home from work at the apple store hehe. Hope this helps you guys. Lemme know how it goes

min3z

min3z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

The trackpad is easy, even in 64bit mode. Let's do step by step:

First make sure you just have one ApplePS2Controller.kext. Look in /Extra/Extensions/ and in /System/Library/Extensions/. Make sure it is in /Extra/Extensions/ and delete the other one(s).
Also make sure you have (only one too) AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /Extra/Extensions/.

Please also make sure you don't have any other PS2 drivers like VoodooPS2 or similar

Then do as follow:

1. Right click /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and click on "Show Package Content"
2. Now you're inside the Kext, navigate to /contents/plugins/. You should find 3 Files (another kexts)
3. Delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
4. Close the open Finder windows
5. Run Kextutility (very important)
6. reboot

If you still have the crazy trackpad behavior, type the following into terminal:
sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

And post the output.

I got everything working too. SD-Card reader, Firewire, E-Sata, WWAN, sound, battery, Lan , WLan, GFX (incl QE/QGL) ...
everything in native, vanilla 64bit Kernel. Had no time for sleep/halt/reboot yet but it will follow, i'm pretty sure...
I'll do a list of all hardware components of my E6400 (MFD is April 2010) and will upload my Extra folder if you want me to.

Greetz
min3z

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Everything except sleep/shutdown works on my 10:6:3. Ill post a zip of my extras and extensions folders when I get home from work at the apple store hehe. Hope this helps you guys. Lemme know how it goes

So here it is. A completely working (Bluetooth, Dell Wireless, HD Audio, Trackpad, nub, keyboard, displayport, graphics, etc.) except for sleep/shut down, set of extensions and extra files for 10.6.3 though I think it might also work with 10.6.2.

Extract these files to /System/Library/Extensions: http://www.mediafire.com/?mnqmmnmwtmg
(backup: http://www.zshare.ne...376351c8cea74/)

Extract these files to / : http://www.mediafire.com/?igi1no5oeld
(backup: http://www.zshare.ne...3765062af1237/)

Let me know how this works for you guys.

Attached Files

cagivo

cagivo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The trackpad is easy, even in 64bit mode. Let's do step by step:

First make sure you just have one ApplePS2Controller.kext. Look in /Extra/Extensions/ and in /System/Library/Extensions/. Make sure it is in /Extra/Extensions/ and delete the other one(s).
Also make sure you have (only one too) AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /Extra/Extensions/.

Please also make sure you don't have any other PS2 drivers like VoodooPS2 or similar

Then do as follow:

1. Right click /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and click on "Show Package Content"
2. Now you're inside the Kext, navigate to /contents/plugins/. You should find 3 Files (another kexts)
3. Delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext
4. Close the open Finder windows
5. Run Kextutility (very important)
6. reboot

If you still have the crazy trackpad behavior, type the following into terminal:
sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

And post the output.

I got everything working too. SD-Card reader, Firewire, E-Sata, WWAN, sound, battery, Lan , WLan, GFX (incl QE/QGL) ...
everything in native, vanilla 64bit Kernel. Had no time for sleep/halt/reboot yet but it will follow, i'm pretty sure...
I'll do a list of all hardware components of my E6400 (MFD is April 2010) and will upload my Extra folder if you want me to.

Greetz
min3z

hello greetz, first thank for your advise

i tried that afterward no more keyboard or trackpad :)

My battery meter also missing

So please upload your extra folder

see u

min3z

min3z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hi cagivo,

sorry for delay, didn't check back here. I'll upload my folder tonight (I'm at work right now).

min3z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy