[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

Awesome! I had to move the kexts that were in the System/Library/Extensions folder into the Extras/Extensions folder but your advice worked! Trackpad is working perfectly now.

Update: Actually, it turned out that not having Apple ACPIPS2Nub.kext in the SLE folder killed my USB ports again. Copying the ACPIPS2Nub.kext back from the Extras folder didn't help. However, once I grabbed the original ACPIPS2Nub.kext from the Extras folder, I was golden. So it looks like you need to actually swap the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext files from SLE and Extras.

Note: I'm not sure if this is exclusive to this build, but I used the SnowOSX3.6-A DVD image to load my Snow Leopard on my E6500.

The trackpad is easy, even in 64bit mode. Let's do step by step:

First make sure you just have one ApplePS2Controller.kext. Look in /Extra/Extensions/ and in /System/Library/Extensions/. Make sure it is in /Extra/Extensions/ and delete the other one(s).

Also make sure you have (only one too) AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in /Extra/Extensions/.

Please also make sure you don't have any other PS2 drivers like VoodooPS2 or similar

Then do as follow:

1. Right click /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and click on "Show Package Content"

2. Now you're inside the Kext, navigate to /contents/plugins/. You should find 3 Files (another kexts)

3. Delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

4. Close the open Finder windows

5. Run Kextutility (very important)

6. reboot

If you still have the crazy trackpad behavior, type the following into terminal:

sudo kextload /Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

And post the output.

I got everything working too. SD-Card reader, Firewire, E-Sata, WWAN, sound, battery, Lan , WLan, GFX (incl QE/QGL) ...

everything in native, vanilla 64bit Kernel. Had no time for sleep/halt/reboot yet but it will follow, i'm pretty sure...

I'll do a list of all hardware components of my E6400 (MFD is April 2010) and will upload my Extra folder if you want me to.

Greetz

min3z

I am really happy with the status of my system now, the only things I can't get working are Sleep/Restart/Shutdown (don't really care about these) and the SD Card reader. Anyone able to help with the SD Card Reader?

Thanks!

Update: a hint.... when I insert an SD card, the mouse stops working completely and the machine slows down to a crawl.

I need some help getting the battery icon to display... I followed the instructions in the pdf from earlier in the thread, but have had absolutely no success.

Any ideas?

Voodoo's got a kext for the battery on there site. There's one that's like voodoopowermini and one voodoobattery (not sure about the exact names. Those should help you out

Installed 10.6.4 and lost wifi (internal dell b/g chip) and dell bluetooth. anyone have any ideas?

Hi All,

Thanks to the original post of Pratician, CalaverX11 and many others people, finally i found a way that i think is the easiest plus with minimum tools require to install a clean Snow Leopard on E6500 (I think the same will work on E6400).

Since the original post is more focus on Leopard, so i decide to start a new thread here and use it as the collection points for Snow Leopard with E6400/E6500. If you interest in original post, below is the link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134430

In this guide, you do not need any thumb drive or portable hard drive at all. (It had been puzzle me for some time that should i buy a 8GB thumb drive just to install SL on my machine)

What do you need:

1. Boot 132 CD ISO

2. Ubuntu CD

3. Original Snow Leopard DVD

4. Extra Folder for Snow Leopard, attached below. Special thanks for CalaverX11

5. Chamelon 2 RC 3, attached below.

6. Make sure your Bios setting for SATA is AHCI. Do not use IRRT, for some reason it just stop working when i set it as IRRT. Since the laptop have only one harddisk, technically IRRT is useless anyway. You can google around if you wonder what IRRT use for.

Here we go:

Part 1 Format and Install Snow Leopard:

1. Boot using Boot 132 CD loader.

2. Wait until finish booting and your CD stop spinning. Remove the CD and insert Snow Leopard DVD and press F5 (2 times) until you see the SL DVD show up. You might need to wait few sec here.

3. Select and Boot the SL DVD.

4. After the "Installation Language" window, open Disk Utility.

- If you wish to Dual-boot Windows 7, make at least 2 partitions. The first partition reserve for Windows 7 and create the second partitions as [Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] plus GUID option.

5. Exit the Disk Utility and install SL on the second partition. (Be patient here, you will need at least half an hour. If the progress bar did not move, just move your mouse around, it is just because it is not refresh properly).

6. After finish installing, boot again using the Boot CD 132 and this time select the SL that you just install on your second partition. Hope that you can boot into your newly install SL without problem. -

7. Once you boot into SL, install the Chamelon 2 RC 3 below to the partition that the SL currently install.

8. Copy and paste the extra folder attached below to your extra folder. Thanks to CalaverX11 for collecting all the necessary file.

If you just wish to install SL, you can stop here, if you wish to Dual Boot with Windows 7, see Part 2.

Part 2 Dual boot with Windows 7

1. Boot using Ubuntu disk, and choose the first option that did not really install the Ubuntu, just allow you to run it from the disk.

2. Use the Disk Utilities of Ubuntu to delete the first partition and recreate the first partition.

3. Exit Ubuntu

4. Install Windows 7 as usual. At this points, Windows 7 will be your default boot OS.

5. Install EasyBCD. EasyBCD Download Link

6. Inside EasyBCD, click on Add/Remove Entries

7. Add an entry for Mac and select Drive C:

8. Reboot and try to boot into the Windows 7 and SL. At this points you should have the working Windows 7 and SL.

Currently what is not working:

- Processor show as unknown

- Wifi (Intel 5100 a/g/n): NO

- Shutdown/Restart: NO (There is a work around if you do not need graphic card features. Look below for details)

- Sleep: NO (If you do not need web cam, there is a workaround. Look below for details)

- SD Slot: NO

- PCMCIA: NO

Extra:

1. Wifi:

- For those looking for USB Wifi, take a look at this "TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB Adapter". It is selling for $32 at buy.com http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=209180504, you can find the driver here http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_sub...6&SUBMIT=Go

- For those want internal Wifi, check on Dell 1510 wifi card

2. Build-in Mic

- Just go to audio setting and try selecting different input & output until your speaker and mic work.

3. Sleep issue (Workaround, webcam not working)

- For those want to make sleep work and do not care about web cam. Follow the instruction mention on this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4430&st=333

Take a look at post #334

4. reboot/shutdown issue solution (Workaround, graphic card not working)

- For those do not care about graphic card features. There are a workaround to make the sleep, reboot and shutdown work. Meaning that you will not be able to use dual monitor, play games that require graphic card features and etc.

- Download "Shutdown Work Graphic Not Work.zip" and paste it into your extra folder. Please backup your "com.apple.Boot" and "smbios" before you replace it.

5. Processor show as unknown (waiting for solution)

If you manage to make any of those work, please let me know and i will update the guide here. Thanks.

UPDATE!!! So I got wifi to work. I updated IONetworkingFamily.kext to change the version it needed of the other plugins, long story short, my wifi is now working! Bluetooth is odd. The BT icon in the menu bar says not available however my bluetooth keyboard works. I'll post my networking file anyone let me know if you have luck with BT so my magic mouse can start going.

Installed 10.6.4 and lost wifi (internal dell b/g chip) and dell bluetooth. anyone have any ideas?

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

don´t seem to understand how you ve got your wifi working again after 10.6.4 update....

Sorry for the bother

BTW, very nice guide for installation

You have to boot -f for the wifi to work

I've been working on this for hours. Here's what I've got so far.

OS X 10.6.4 on Dell E6500:

WORKING:

SpeedStep (800MHz-2.66GHz) via VoodooPower

NVIDIA Quadro 160M via GraphicsEnabler

DisplayPort/VGA out

Audio (speakers/headphones,internal mic,external mic) via VoodooHDA

Trackpad/Keyboard/Trackpoint (no scrolling) via ApplePS2

Ethernet (I fixed the issue where it craps out after waking from sleep)

Wireless (Dell 1510). I had to replace the AirPort kext with the AirPort kext I had backed up from 10.6.3.

USB 2.0

Sleep (IOUSBFamily and SleepEnabler)

Lid Sleep (via Meklort's LidSleep.kext)

NOT WORKING:

Shutdown/Restart (although I did read where someone with a Dell M4400 with NVIDIA graphics got it working with a DSDT patch somehow)

Audio mute

DisplayPort digitial audio out (although an SPDIF device shows up in the audio preferences)

Clamshell Mode

I don't have a webcam. I don't have Bluetooth, but a Dell Bluetooth module is in the mail and I'll post my efforts when it gets here.

I'm really trying to get Clamshell MODE working. It's really a necessity for me. It worked with 10.6.2 and ClamshellDisplay.kext, but Apple changed some sort of Framebuffer helper file, and it doesn't work in 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. With LidSleep.kext, lid sleep works, but Clamshell MODE doesn't. Any suggestions?

I thought about maybe using the fn+F8 key to turn off the LCD to get Clamshell Mode working, but that key combo doesn't work once OSX is loaded. It must be another thing I'll have to figure out in the DSDT...

I'm getting a kernel panic when booting after updating to 10.6.4. Even safe mode won't get me into the OS:

"Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM" @/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:706

--Dan--

You probably need an updated SleepEnabler.ktext. Do you have the latest one? Also, you can try to delete the existing one to at least boot up again.

Ok, so I got snow leopard ( 10.6.3 using iATKOS S3 v2) up and running, but I have two main problems.

My keyboard, touch stick and touch pad (ALL) do not work.

My graphics card ( a Nvidia Quadro 160M) is not QE enabled.

Everything either works fine or is not really important. Just these two deal breakers.

can anyone please post their kexts for just these two things?

any help would be stellar

Hi, i'm new into the insanelymac community. Does os x will work on my inspiron 6400 which has this configuration : intel 2*1.6 ghertz, ati radeon x1300 ?

I've got an original CD of mac os x, my uncle has a mac, the version is 10.5

Does it good ? Or can i install the last version ?

Thank you for yours answers ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I followed this guide and successfully installed snow leopard 10.6.3.

Everything's working except for:

1. SpeedStep: my CPU is P9500 (2.53Ghz) but in About this Mac it shows only 2.3Ghz. I downloaded both VoodooPowerMini.kext and VoodooPowerAcpi.kext - 10.6.x at http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html and installed them using Kext Helper, restarted but not work.

2. Wifi doesnot work. Mine came with an Dell wireless 1510 card, I don't know how to make it working. I can see the AirPort icon showing on the top menu bar, clicked Turn airport on but nothing happened.

3. Bluetooth doesn't seems to be recognized

Thanks in advance

This guide worked great. Many thanks for taking the time to write it and for all the helpful posts in the thread.

However I wasn't as careful as I should and although I have upgraded to 10.6.4 I have no keyboard, WiFi (Dell 1510) or wired ethernet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Everything works great for me except Shutdown now, following the tips in this thread -- except:

does anyone experience an issue (in 10.6.4) where the keyboard and mouse stop working? The external USB mouse still works but the keyboard just stops responding.

It happens to me in a matter of time every time I use the computer.. i'm forced to restart.

Any ideas?

does anyone experience an issue (in 10.6.4) where the keyboard and mouse stop working? The external USB mouse still works but the keyboard just stops responding.

When I dual-boot with Windows 7 using BCD, my hackintosh won't load kexts, keyboard & mouse do not work.

I set the hackintosh partition to be activated so that I can dual boot using chameleon. Now everything's working great :)

If you can't get Windows 7 work using chameleon, try reinstalling Chameleon