[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

rajas

rajas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Yes, I have waited for the boot132 cd to stop spinning, it really seems like my dvd player is having trouble reading the SL dvd. I put the SL dvd in when windows is running and it takes a long time for explorer to even see that there is files on the dvd. It just tries to read and seems like it's struggling. Is this normal? What sort of things have you played with in your BIOS?

i had the same issue with snow leopard dvd during my install. i just had to clean the disk with a cloth to get rid of some finger print marks on it and i have had no problems since.

are you having problems with other cds or dvds using the same drive? if you dont, then you can rule out the drive as an issue.

TofuTodd

TofuTodd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I am done running OS X on my Latitude e6400. If anyone wants my media bay hard drive caddy, my 320gb drive running 10.5.8, my Dell 1510 half mini pci wifi card, and my broadcom bluetooth mini pci card give me a shout and I'll cut you a heck of a deal on all of it.

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I got Snow Leopard installed and things are working pretty well. Just wondering though, About my mac says that I am running a 2.8 GHz processor but I actually have a 3.06 ghz. Anyone else have this problem?

chillx

chillx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
everytime i tried to boot from 'boot 132' no matter wht i do, i keep stuck in 'loading darwin /x86' :)
boot from 'boot 132'
Posted Image

n if i boot from 'Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132'
it stucks on 'system uptime in nanoseconds'

my sys config:
Posted Image

i tried cpus=1 -v, -f -x -s etc..
ny1 here to help me out?

i have dnwlded the .dmg file from mac-os-x-snow-leopard-106-10a432-retail-dvd
i burned it in dual layer from power iso.

can ny one tell me the cause of stucking in 'loading darwin /x86' ???

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Again I'm going to ask if anyone else has the 3.06 gHz E6400/6500 and 10.6 is reporting it as 2.83. Do you think it is only using 2.83 GHz or do you think it is just displaying wrong. Also anyone have a guide/tutorial for updating from 10.6 to 10.6.2? I'd really like to use the magic mouse with my machine and that support does not come built into 10.6. Also...suggestions on internal wireless cards that will work with the latest revision of snow leopard. Happy Holidays everyone. Hope you guys are doing well. Keep this forum going strong. I could not live without OSX86. I do all of my music production in Logic and without it I was lost. I had to send my D630 in with a busted motherboard and I recieved the E6400 as a replacement to it. This has been a very rocky situation since then with some ups and downs. cons first

Cons:
3 and 1/2 weeks without a computer
5 weeks later I still haven't received my original hard drive they said I should have received 2 weeks ago.
E6400 has somewhat broken support compared to D630 where my wireless card worked out of the box

Pros:
They replaced a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo with a 3.06 Core 2 Duo
They replaced 1GB of ram in the original with 4GB in the E6400
They gave me a webcam, a bluetooth card, and a fingerprint reader...all of which I didn't have in my D630
They gave me an optical mouse (lol why?)
Having a newer machine in general
They replaced a 120GB 7200 RPM drive with the encrypted 7200RPM 160GB drive

So...any help anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated. I have read through this entire topic and I have learned a lot but I still have unanswered questions. LET'S GET IT POPPIN!

rajas

rajas

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Again I'm going to ask if anyone else has the 3.06 gHz E6400/6500 and 10.6 is reporting it as 2.83. Do you think it is only using 2.83 GHz or do you think it is just displaying wrong. Also anyone have a guide/tutorial for updating from 10.6 to 10.6.2? I'd really like to use the magic mouse with my machine and that support does not come built into 10.6. Also...suggestions on internal wireless cards that will work with the latest revision of snow leopard. Happy Holidays everyone. Hope you guys are doing well. Keep this forum going strong. I could not live without OSX86. I do all of my music production in Logic and without it I was lost. I had to send my D630 in with a busted motherboard and I recieved the E6400 as a replacement to it. This has been a very rocky situation since then with some ups and downs. cons first

Cons:
3 and 1/2 weeks without a computer
5 weeks later I still haven't received my original hard drive they said I should have received 2 weeks ago.
E6400 has somewhat broken support compared to D630 where my wireless card worked out of the box

Pros:
They replaced a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo with a 3.06 Core 2 Duo
They replaced 1GB of ram in the original with 4GB in the E6400
They gave me a webcam, a bluetooth card, and a fingerprint reader...all of which I didn't have in my D630
They gave me an optical mouse (lol why?)
Having a newer machine in general
They replaced a 120GB 7200 RPM drive with the encrypted 7200RPM 160GB drive

So...any help anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated. I have read through this entire topic and I have learned a lot but I still have unanswered questions. LET'S GET IT POPPIN!

what installation method did you use?

10.6 to 10.6.2 can be done simply via the Apple software update.

Remove SleepEnabler.kext if you use it, this is very important step, old sleepenabler + new kernel = panic.
more info on that at: http://netkas.org/?p=315

also remember to backup all of your kexts. you may need to re-apply them after the update. my wifi quit working after the update, and i had to use the one from my backup.

dell wifi cards with the broadcom chips are working just fine on SL. i have a dw1395 on my e6400 working great. they are about $10 on ebay (shipped)

midtoad1

midtoad1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Extra:
1. Wifi:
- For those looking for USB Wifi, take a look at this "TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB Adapter". It is selling for $32 at buy.com http://www.buy.com/r...p?sku=209180504, you can find the driver here http://www.trendnet....b...6&SUBMIT=Go

Have you successfully used this adapter under Snow Leopard with the listed driver? That driver file only has an installer for Leopard 10.5, not for Snow Leopard 10.6.

ntyonline

ntyonline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Have you successfully used this adapter under Snow Leopard with the listed driver? That driver file only has an installer for Leopard 10.5, not for Snow Leopard 10.6.

yes. confirmed work on SL.

thebiggestn00b

thebiggestn00b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Thanks for the guide but unfortunately it does work for me. :D

After installing snow leopard it wont boot into the OS it just hangs on the apple loading, all I am trying to do is install SL on my inspiron 6400. I have tried maybe 10 times using various guides. Nothing seems to work.

I tried this guide too but it fails to install SL from my hackintosh vm, there is an error when installing.

http://trikks.wordpr...leopard-server/

If anyone has any ideas, help or other guides, please help me.

specs

Inspiron 6400
gma 945
wlan dell 1390
cpu 1.6 duo forget the model

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:dell 6000 , asus p4pe,
graphics EFIstudio
at least on the desktop (not E6500), create an efi string for boot.plist worked

have not done the install on my e6500,... yet,
anybody tried chameleon rc 4 , copy boot over rc3 ?

obsidian23

obsidian23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I recompiled dingguijins Intel82566MM driver (http://code.google.c...6mm-osx-driver/) for Snow Leopard, this includes the Power Management fixes done by MercurySquad. The file is attached below. Ethernet works after wake from sleep for me now.

I also applied some fixes to the DSDT from ntylonline (excellent guide btw, thanks a lot!). Using vanilla IOUSBFamily from 10.6.2 I can now sleep and wake up again. I have USB2 speeds and no devices are removed after wake-up. The fixes are the usual ones by ApexDE(http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1240686), zhell (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=168014) and Slice (http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=461). My E6500 doesn't have a webcam, so I don't know if this will kill it - feedback welcome.

I'm using BIOS Rev 13 on my european model E6500 - don't know if this somehow changes something in the DSDT. Also, I'm using Chameleon RC4, so you might want to try this too.

I'll look into native P-states next.

On another note, could somebody please post vanilla 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext? Mine doesn't autoload, I have to load it manually, I think I botched the Info.plist :(
I'm also looking for a E6500 compatible Touchpad driver that allows the use of a European keyboard, on my German layout the <> keys are'nt working - help much appreciated.

@supbtsup: As I understand it, as long as you aren't using native P-States this is harmless. The info is contained in /Extra/SMBIOS.plist, search on this forum if you want to adapt it.

@rschultz101: Yes, I'm using it here, everything working very well. GraphicsEnabler doing a good job, everything seems fluid and nice.

Attached Files

Riddler@Hackintosh

Riddler@Hackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Ok Great Guide!
Dualbooting with Windows 7 is not a problem!
But is there a way to triple boot (Snow Leopard,Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10)???

I install Ubuntu at least, because of the Grub bootloader. I also installed the boatloader on the Ubuntu Partition.
The problem is, that, Ubuntu messed up the Startup from Windows 7. So i can boot into Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.10 but not into Windows 7.
Next I started the Windows 7 DVD to repair the startup, but the DVD tells me that Windows 7 can't be fixed.

I think the Porblem is because i using the GPT/MBR formatted hardrive and when i install Ubuntu it turn the harddrive into purely GPT and there for mess up the windows boot file and wont even let me attempt to repair it.

Is there any way to fix the problem and boot into all OS's with Chameleon RC4???

obsidian23

obsidian23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I found a combination of various VoodooPS2-kexts that enable 102-key support (i.e. for European keyboards) and also enable edge scrolling for the E6500 trackpad. ZIP attached. I have it in /S/L/E as it didn't really like living in /E/E. Also make sure to delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller from /E/E and repair permissions and recreate kext caches. Also you should have a USB mouse and keyboard handy in case something goes wrong.

After installation you can work with the native trackpad preference pane to enable scrolling (select two-finger scrolling for that) and also to change the acceleration.

@Riddler: Try playing with EasyBCD to get Win7 to boot again. In my experience Windows is incredibly fickle with booting options and dislikes having partitions shifted around, getting actived/deactivated or changing sizes. I could imagine that GRUB has set its own partition to active...
I tend to install Windows as the last operating system and then just re-install Chameleon.

Attached Files

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
hazard install,

here is my update so far:
boot123 vanilla failed

did a hazard install, with 10.6.2 and chameleon rc3 pc efi 10.5
copied /extra + files
copied obsidian dsdt and extra kext

loaded it, ... did connect to a pp le , what's up with that ?
graphics not working 1024x768
and touchpad no useable,...?!
oh, sleep not working, that's how i got my touchpad back on 10.5.7

tried efi_studio with 8600 gt 256mb,... no luck,...

don't know yet , what to do ...
oh, forgot
started with chameleon rc3 on partition 1
restored hazard on 3
booted hazard on 3 to install
partition is GUID

am I missing something

next, to try empire efi,.... also running bios 09,.... don't even have a native windoze,... to update the bios , argh,
is it possible to update bios in vmware ?

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Ok it is clear at this point you have done what I have been unable to do (get usb 2.0/sleep support on my e6400)  I have neither at this point.  I'm running 10.6.2.  As someone who is pretty computer literate and not entirely a n00b, I was still not able to understand what you said in this post and how I might accomplish it.  As far as the Intel82566MM.kext, do I just use kexthelper and apply it?  I'm not sure if I still have the vanilla IOUSBFamily.  How would I be able to tell?  If you could left me with this it would make a WORLD of difference to me...way more important than fixing the reported clock speed in about my mac (though that would be cool too!).  Please let me know how to do this or point me to a (thorough) tutorial that I could understand.  Thanks so much in advance

Ben

I recompiled dingguijins Intel82566MM driver (http://code.google.c...6mm-osx-driver/) for Snow Leopard, this includes the Power Management fixes done by MercurySquad. The file is attached below. Ethernet works after wake from sleep for me now.

I also applied some fixes to the DSDT from ntylonline (excellent guide btw, thanks a lot!). Using vanilla IOUSBFamily from 10.6.2 I can now sleep and wake up again. I have USB2 speeds and no devices are removed after wake-up. The fixes are the usual ones by ApexDE(http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1240686), zhell (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=168014) and Slice (http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=461). My E6500 doesn't have a webcam, so I don't know if this will kill it - feedback welcome.

I'm using BIOS Rev 13 on my european model E6500 - don't know if this somehow changes something in the DSDT. Also, I'm using Chameleon RC4, so you might want to try this too.

I'll look into native P-states next.

On another note, could somebody please post vanilla 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext? Mine doesn't autoload, I have to load it manually, I think I botched the Info.plist <_<
I'm also looking for a E6500 compatible Touchpad driver that allows the use of a European keyboard, on my German layout the <> keys are'nt working - help much appreciated.

@supbtsup: As I understand it, as long as you aren't using native P-States this is harmless. The info is contained in /Extra/SMBIOS.plist, search on this forum if you want to adapt it.

@rschultz101: Yes, I'm using it here, everything working very well. GraphicsEnabler doing a good job, everything seems fluid and nice.

obsidian23

obsidian23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Ok it is clear at this point you have done what I have been unable to do (get usb 2.0/sleep support on my e6400) I have neither at this point. I'm running 10.6.2. As someone who is pretty computer literate and not entirely a n00b, I was still not able to understand what you said in this post and how I might accomplish it. As far as the Intel82566MM.kext, do I just use kexthelper and apply it? I'm not sure if I still have the vanilla IOUSBFamily. How would I be able to tell? If you could left me with this it would make a WORLD of difference to me...way more important than fixing the reported clock speed in about my mac (though that would be cool too!). Please let me know how to do this or point me to a (thorough) tutorial that I could understand. Thanks so much in advance

Ben

I've been working with this setup now for the last few hours and it seems that Ethernet still isn't completely there. It still stops working after some wake-ups, but still better than nothing.

Here is a rough guide. The easy one is the Ethernet:
  • Download the zip file, unzip.
  • Check if you have Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions. If you do, thats great, just copy over the kext you downloaded just now and overwrite the file in /Extra/Extensions. Repair permissions with osx86tools or Disk Utility. Reboot. Ethernet should now work after sleep (sometimes?).
  • If there is no Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions, install the file with Kext Helper. Reboot. Enjoy.
The DSDT is more tricky. I'm not sure about vanilla IOUSBFamily, you might just want to give the DSDT a spin anyway. There is a safety net, so go ahead:

• Download, unzip.
  • There should be a file called dsdt.aml in /Extra or in / (the absolute root, shows up in Finder's "Go" menu as "Computer"). Rename this file to bdsdt.aml and move it to / (again, "Computer"). Probably requires authorization.
  • Move the downloaded dsdt.aml to the location your original dsdt.aml was in. Reboot.
  • If your OS X installation boots correctly, you should now hopefully have full USB support. If it doesn't boot, tell Chameleon dsdt=/bdsdt.aml and it will boot with your old DSDT.
  • If results wheren't good, delete the DSDT and rename/move your old DSDT to its original position and name.
Tell me how it works for you.

supbtsup

supbtsup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Well I tried the DSDT thing but no luck...still only getting 12MB/s transfer speeds for usb. on the other hand, maybe i didn't explain myself correctly. Currently I am not even able to get my computer to FALL ASLEEP :thumbsup_anim:. Luckily, other than these two problems (oh and webcam not working and intel wireless not working) my machine works great. I'm able to get online tethering through my droid (YAY). So no wireless isn't a complete loss. And I am about to recieve a new wireless card in the mail. But, the no USB 2.0 right now is kinda a big problem with me mainly using my computer for video editing (external HD) and audio production (external sound card). So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been working with this setup now for the last few hours and it seems that Ethernet still isn't completely there. It still stops working after some wake-ups, but still better than nothing.

Here is a rough guide. The easy one is the Ethernet:

• Download the zip file, unzip.
  • Check if you have Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions. If you do, thats great, just copy over the kext you downloaded just now and overwrite the file in /Extra/Extensions. Repair permissions with osx86tools or Disk Utility. Reboot. Ethernet should now work after sleep (sometimes?).
  • If there is no Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions, install the file with Kext Helper. Reboot. Enjoy.
The DSDT is more tricky. I'm not sure about vanilla IOUSBFamily, you might just want to give the DSDT a spin anyway. There is a safety net, so go ahead:

• Download, unzip.
  • There should be a file called dsdt.aml in /Extra or in / (the absolute root, shows up in Finder's "Go" menu as "Computer"). Rename this file to bdsdt.aml and move it to / (again, "Computer"). Probably requires authorization.
  • Move the downloaded dsdt.aml to the location your original dsdt.aml was in. Reboot.
  • If your OS X installation boots correctly, you should now hopefully have full USB support. If it doesn't boot, tell Chameleon dsdt=/bdsdt.aml and it will boot with your old DSDT.
  • If results wheren't good, delete the DSDT and rename/move your old DSDT to its original position and name.
Tell me how it works for you.

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
vanilla update,.....

first, what's not, so don't
- install on partition 5 , install on first partition 1
- install from desktop, over esata pci card, over esata dock
- install, over slim bay, disk, since it's using a jmicron,...
- install hazard, with 10.6.2,...
- update after hazard 10.6.2 , just safari,... failed

speedup:
- skip the 1.2gb+ printer drivers for now,... install later,...
- have keyboard, and usb mouse handy,...touchpad and keyboard did not work initial,...
- might need to remove *MCE* kext and rebuild cache
- might need netkas 10.6.2 sleepenabler
- create new user first at initial, different name from you existing,... so you can transfere/migrate easier.
- do a partition backup for major steps, ccc is your friend
- use bigger than 20GB partition, thats what I used on my SSD, but with sleepimage, not much left 3.4gb
so 24gb+,...if you have room do 32GB,...

thanks! big thanks for everybody posting! nah, noch nen riesen Danke Schoen fuer das efi. echt klasse.

next:
- 10.6.2 combo update,... need to backup first,...
- get it running in 64bit mode,... for the VM
- test , battery life ?
- test buildin bluetooth
- touchpad, multi-touch ? if possible
- test dual monitor, e-docking
- test firewire/ esata card in slot
- test display port
- transfere apps and user data
hmm, initial install was on 32GB,... and cc did a block level,... but my SSD is small,.. so want to put it on 24GB,...
- get desktop up and running
- SD port

new notes:
- runs on i386 aka 32bit,... still want to go 64bit
- shutdown/restart is not clean.... not working
- gigabit port works
- draft-n works

--------
couple more do's and don't

got thrown for a loop,... after migration wizard,... with vmware and kernel panic.
so don't use migration wizard

did have Users on 2nd partition, that way it does not affect the 1st install,..
but forgot to write down, the user uuid,... recommend keeping it, including user group

did an combo 10.6.2 with netkas sleepenabler,...
did an soft update, with bonjour, safari, java, etc,... runs kinda ok.
bluetooth on right side switch, has to be on,... does not pair automatic,...
shutdown restart, not working, not clean,

lid sleep not working,... like to get that fixed need some pointers,..
iphone sync,.... disabled, cann not be enabled, ?!? what to do now ?
how to enable isync ?

did try without i386,... but that failed miserably,
time to look at all the kexts needed to run in 64bit,...
and make them compatible, probably need a bunch of developer stuff,... but I'am not a software guy

need to revisist the voodops2 touchpad option,... be nice to have scroll work,...
send me some links, pointers, or what you got working, keyboard, touchpad,
also don't know, if the euro keyboard, would make it flunk

please post, I don't bite, just on osx-hollic,

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
did give it a whirl,... unfortunately it did not work,....
are they any other kexts dependencies what's missing ?

running 32bit arch i386

rebuild manual
kextcache -v 1 -t -l -a i386 -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

what's the best way to rebuild cache ?

do I need to install the voodoo pkg first ?

marthastewart333

marthastewart333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I tried your VoodooPS2 kext on my E6500. Everything still worked, but the native mouse preference pane doesn't work (says no mouse detected). However, I can tell that the side scrolling SHOULD work, because when I attempt to scroll, the mouse pointer does not move down. Obviously the driver is detecting a scroll, but no scrolling happens on the screen. There must be something we're missing...something that you have that we don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy