[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

I recompiled dingguijins Intel82566MM driver (http://code.google.com/p/82566mm-osx-driver/) for Snow Leopard, this includes the Power Management fixes done by MercurySquad. The file is attached below. Ethernet works after wake from sleep for me now.

I also applied some fixes to the DSDT from ntylonline (excellent guide btw, thanks a lot!). Using vanilla IOUSBFamily from 10.6.2 I can now sleep and wake up again. I have USB2 speeds and no devices are removed after wake-up. The fixes are the usual ones by ApexDE(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=155345&view=findpost&p=1240686), zhell (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014) and Slice (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=461). My E6500 doesn't have a webcam, so I don't know if this will kill it - feedback welcome.

I'm using BIOS Rev 13 on my european model E6500 - don't know if this somehow changes something in the DSDT. Also, I'm using Chameleon RC4, so you might want to try this too.

I'll look into native P-states next.

On another note, could somebody please post vanilla 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext? Mine doesn't autoload, I have to load it manually, I think I botched the Info.plist :(

I'm also looking for a E6500 compatible Touchpad driver that allows the use of a European keyboard, on my German layout the <> keys are'nt working - help much appreciated.

@supbtsup: As I understand it, as long as you aren't using native P-States this is harmless. The info is contained in /Extra/SMBIOS.plist, search on this forum if you want to adapt it.

@rschultz101: Yes, I'm using it here, everything working very well. GraphicsEnabler doing a good job, everything seems fluid and nice.

Intel82566MM.kext.zip

dsdt_E6500_EHCI_UHCI_Fixed_for_sleep.zip

Ok Great Guide!

Dualbooting with Windows 7 is not a problem!

But is there a way to triple boot (Snow Leopard,Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10)???

I install Ubuntu at least, because of the Grub bootloader. I also installed the boatloader on the Ubuntu Partition.

The problem is, that, Ubuntu messed up the Startup from Windows 7. So i can boot into Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.10 but not into Windows 7.

Next I started the Windows 7 DVD to repair the startup, but the DVD tells me that Windows 7 can't be fixed.

I think the Porblem is because i using the GPT/MBR formatted hardrive and when i install Ubuntu it turn the harddrive into purely GPT and there for mess up the windows boot file and wont even let me attempt to repair it.

Is there any way to fix the problem and boot into all OS's with Chameleon RC4???

I found a combination of various VoodooPS2-kexts that enable 102-key support (i.e. for European keyboards) and also enable edge scrolling for the E6500 trackpad. ZIP attached. I have it in /S/L/E as it didn't really like living in /E/E. Also make sure to delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller from /E/E and repair permissions and recreate kext caches. Also you should have a USB mouse and keyboard handy in case something goes wrong.

After installation you can work with the native trackpad preference pane to enable scrolling (select two-finger scrolling for that) and also to change the acceleration.

@Riddler: Try playing with EasyBCD to get Win7 to boot again. In my experience Windows is incredibly fickle with booting options and dislikes having partitions shifted around, getting actived/deactivated or changing sizes. I could imagine that GRUB has set its own partition to active...

I tend to install Windows as the last operating system and then just re-install Chameleon.

VoodooPS2Controller_SnowLeopard_E6500_Scrolling.zip

• Like 1

hazard install,

here is my update so far:

boot123 vanilla failed

did a hazard install, with 10.6.2 and chameleon rc3 pc efi 10.5

copied /extra + files

copied obsidian dsdt and extra kext

loaded it, ... did connect to a pp le , what's up with that ?

graphics not working 1024x768

and touchpad no useable,...?!

oh, sleep not working, that's how i got my touchpad back on 10.5.7

tried efi_studio with 8600 gt 256mb,... no luck,...

don't know yet , what to do ...

oh, forgot

started with chameleon rc3 on partition 1

restored hazard on 3

booted hazard on 3 to install

partition is GUID

am I missing something

next, to try empire efi,.... also running bios 09,.... don't even have a native windoze,... to update the bios , argh,

is it possible to update bios in vmware ?

Ok it is clear at this point you have done what I have been unable to do (get usb 2.0/sleep support on my e6400)  I have neither at this point.  I'm running 10.6.2.  As someone who is pretty computer literate and not entirely a n00b, I was still not able to understand what you said in this post and how I might accomplish it.  As far as the Intel82566MM.kext, do I just use kexthelper and apply it?  I'm not sure if I still have the vanilla IOUSBFamily.  How would I be able to tell?  If you could left me with this it would make a WORLD of difference to me...way more important than fixing the reported clock speed in about my mac (though that would be cool too!).  Please let me know how to do this or point me to a (thorough) tutorial that I could understand.  Thanks so much in advance

Ben

I recompiled dingguijins Intel82566MM driver (http://code.google.com/p/82566mm-osx-driver/) for Snow Leopard, this includes the Power Management fixes done by MercurySquad. The file is attached below. Ethernet works after wake from sleep for me now.

I also applied some fixes to the DSDT from ntylonline (excellent guide btw, thanks a lot!). Using vanilla IOUSBFamily from 10.6.2 I can now sleep and wake up again. I have USB2 speeds and no devices are removed after wake-up. The fixes are the usual ones by ApexDE(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=155345&view=findpost&p=1240686), zhell (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014) and Slice (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=461). My E6500 doesn't have a webcam, so I don't know if this will kill it - feedback welcome.

I'm using BIOS Rev 13 on my european model E6500 - don't know if this somehow changes something in the DSDT. Also, I'm using Chameleon RC4, so you might want to try this too.

On another note, could somebody please post vanilla 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext? Mine doesn't autoload, I have to load it manually, I think I botched the Info.plist <_<

I'm also looking for a E6500 compatible Touchpad driver that allows the use of a European keyboard, on my German layout the <> keys are'nt working - help much appreciated.

@supbtsup: As I understand it, as long as you aren't using native P-States this is harmless. The info is contained in /Extra/SMBIOS.plist, search on this forum if you want to adapt it.

@rschultz101: Yes, I'm using it here, everything working very well. GraphicsEnabler doing a good job, everything seems fluid and nice.

Ok it is clear at this point you have done what I have been unable to do (get usb 2.0/sleep support on my e6400) I have neither at this point. I'm running 10.6.2. As someone who is pretty computer literate and not entirely a n00b, I was still not able to understand what you said in this post and how I might accomplish it. As far as the Intel82566MM.kext, do I just use kexthelper and apply it? I'm not sure if I still have the vanilla IOUSBFamily. How would I be able to tell? If you could left me with this it would make a WORLD of difference to me...way more important than fixing the reported clock speed in about my mac (though that would be cool too!). Please let me know how to do this or point me to a (thorough) tutorial that I could understand. Thanks so much in advance

Ben

I've been working with this setup now for the last few hours and it seems that Ethernet still isn't completely there. It still stops working after some wake-ups, but still better than nothing.

Here is a rough guide. The easy one is the Ethernet:

1. Download the zip file, unzip.
  2. Check if you have Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions. If you do, thats great, just copy over the kext you downloaded just now and overwrite the file in /Extra/Extensions. Repair permissions with osx86tools or Disk Utility. Reboot. Ethernet should now work after sleep (sometimes?).
  3. If there is no Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions, install the file with Kext Helper. Reboot. Enjoy.

The DSDT is more tricky. I'm not sure about vanilla IOUSBFamily, you might just want to give the DSDT a spin anyway. There is a safety net, so go ahead:

1. Download, unzip.
  2. There should be a file called dsdt.aml in /Extra or in / (the absolute root, shows up in Finder's "Go" menu as "Computer"). Rename this file to bdsdt.aml and move it to / (again, "Computer"). Probably requires authorization.
  3. Move the downloaded dsdt.aml to the location your original dsdt.aml was in. Reboot.
  4. If your OS X installation boots correctly, you should now hopefully have full USB support. If it doesn't boot, tell Chameleon dsdt=/bdsdt.aml and it will boot with your old DSDT.
  5. If results wheren't good, delete the DSDT and rename/move your old DSDT to its original position and name.

Tell me how it works for you.

Well I tried the DSDT thing but no luck...still only getting 12MB/s transfer speeds for usb. on the other hand, maybe i didn't explain myself correctly. Currently I am not even able to get my computer to FALL ASLEEP :thumbsup_anim:. Luckily, other than these two problems (oh and webcam not working and intel wireless not working) my machine works great. I'm able to get online tethering through my droid (YAY). So no wireless isn't a complete loss. And I am about to recieve a new wireless card in the mail. But, the no USB 2.0 right now is kinda a big problem with me mainly using my computer for video editing (external HD) and audio production (external sound card). So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been working with this setup now for the last few hours and it seems that Ethernet still isn't completely there. It still stops working after some wake-ups, but still better than nothing.

2. Check if you have Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions. If you do, thats great, just copy over the kext you downloaded just now and overwrite the file in /Extra/Extensions. Repair permissions with osx86tools or Disk Utility. Reboot. Ethernet should now work after sleep (sometimes?).
  3. If there is no Intel82566MM.kext in /Extra/Extensions, install the file with Kext Helper. Reboot. Enjoy.

The DSDT is more tricky. I'm not sure about vanilla IOUSBFamily, you might just want to give the DSDT a spin anyway. There is a safety net, so go ahead:

1. Download, unzip.
  2. There should be a file called dsdt.aml in /Extra or in / (the absolute root, shows up in Finder's "Go" menu as "Computer"). Rename this file to bdsdt.aml and move it to / (again, "Computer"). Probably requires authorization.
  3. Move the downloaded dsdt.aml to the location your original dsdt.aml was in. Reboot.
  4. If your OS X installation boots correctly, you should now hopefully have full USB support. If it doesn't boot, tell Chameleon dsdt=/bdsdt.aml and it will boot with your old DSDT.
  5. If results wheren't good, delete the DSDT and rename/move your old DSDT to its original position and name.

vanilla update,.....

first, what's not, so don't

- install on partition 5 , install on first partition 1

- install from desktop, over esata pci card, over esata dock

- install, over slim bay, disk, since it's using a jmicron,...

- install hazard, with 10.6.2,...

- update after hazard 10.6.2 , just safari,... failed

speedup:

- skip the 1.2gb+ printer drivers for now,... install later,...

- have keyboard, and usb mouse handy,...touchpad and keyboard did not work initial,...

- might need to remove *MCE* kext and rebuild cache

- might need netkas 10.6.2 sleepenabler

- create new user first at initial, different name from you existing,... so you can transfere/migrate easier.

- do a partition backup for major steps, ccc is your friend

- use bigger than 20GB partition, thats what I used on my SSD, but with sleepimage, not much left 3.4gb

so 24gb+,...if you have room do 32GB,...

thanks! big thanks for everybody posting! nah, noch nen riesen Danke Schoen fuer das efi. echt klasse.

next:

- 10.6.2 combo update,... need to backup first,...

- get it running in 64bit mode,... for the VM

- test , battery life ?

- test buildin bluetooth

- touchpad, multi-touch ? if possible

- test dual monitor, e-docking

- test firewire/ esata card in slot

- test display port

- transfere apps and user data

hmm, initial install was on 32GB,... and cc did a block level,... but my SSD is small,.. so want to put it on 24GB,...

- get desktop up and running

- SD port

new notes:

- runs on i386 aka 32bit,... still want to go 64bit

- shutdown/restart is not clean.... not working

- gigabit port works

- draft-n works

--------

couple more do's and don't

got thrown for a loop,... after migration wizard,... with vmware and kernel panic.

so don't use migration wizard

did have Users on 2nd partition, that way it does not affect the 1st install,..

but forgot to write down, the user uuid,... recommend keeping it, including user group

did an combo 10.6.2 with netkas sleepenabler,...

did an soft update, with bonjour, safari, java, etc,... runs kinda ok.

bluetooth on right side switch, has to be on,... does not pair automatic,...

shutdown restart, not working, not clean,

lid sleep not working,... like to get that fixed need some pointers,..

iphone sync,.... disabled, cann not be enabled, ?!? what to do now ?

how to enable isync ?

did try without i386,... but that failed miserably,

time to look at all the kexts needed to run in 64bit,...

and make them compatible, probably need a bunch of developer stuff,... but I'am not a software guy

need to revisist the voodops2 touchpad option,... be nice to have scroll work,...

send me some links, pointers, or what you got working, keyboard, touchpad,

also don't know, if the euro keyboard, would make it flunk

please post, I don't bite, just on osx-hollic,

did give it a whirl,... unfortunately it did not work,....

are they any other kexts dependencies what's missing ?

running 32bit arch i386

rebuild manual

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -a i386 -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions

what's the best way to rebuild cache ?

do I need to install the voodoo pkg first ?

• 4 weeks later...

I tried your VoodooPS2 kext on my E6500. Everything still worked, but the native mouse preference pane doesn't work (says no mouse detected). However, I can tell that the side scrolling SHOULD work, because when I attempt to scroll, the mouse pointer does not move down. Obviously the driver is detecting a scroll, but no scrolling happens on the screen. There must be something we're missing...something that you have that we don't.

So, what is the latest list of working/ not working components?

Using the kexts from the beginning of this forum - sleep and Graphics fail to work for me. Does anyone have everything working for 10.6.2 and want to share their extras folder? Eh? Eh?

So, what is the latest list of working/ not working components?

Using the kexts from the beginning of this forum - sleep and Graphics fail to work for me. Does anyone have everything working for 10.6.2 and want to share their extras folder? Eh? Eh?

After spending about two weeks working on this (and much hair pulling), I've finally got a pretty stable build. I've got a Dell Latitude E6400 with an Nvidia Qudro NVS 160M and an eBay purchased Dell 1510 802.11 b/g/n wireless card. I've got it booting just fine, I've got "GraphicsEnabled" working, keyboard and trackpad working (though a little too sensitive yet), audio, and wireless 802.11n working. There's some things I haven't worked on yet (and may not) like Bluetooth and correct ID of processor in "About this Mac", but after all this work, I'm tempted to leave it alone for now. This is my first hackintosh and I stumbled my way through most of it, but let me know if you have any questions or want any files and I'll see if I can help.

I followed successfully this tutorial and installed Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on my Dell Precision M2400.

The only non-working device was AirPort (i.e. WiFi). However, I found out how to enable WiFi, so you might try this recipe as well:

1) Go to http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

2) Download the driver for "USB(RT257X/RT2671/RT2500)"

3) Install the MAC OS X 10.6 driver

4) Reboot

Enjoy WiFi connection! :D

After spending about two weeks working on this (and much hair pulling), I've finally got a pretty stable build. I've got a Dell Latitude E6400 with an Nvidia Qudro NVS 160M and an eBay purchased Dell 1510 802.11 b/g/n wireless card. I've got it booting just fine, I've got "GraphicsEnabled" working, keyboard and trackpad working (though a little too sensitive yet), audio, and wireless 802.11n working. There's some things I haven't worked on yet (and may not) like Bluetooth and correct ID of processor in "About this Mac", but after all this work, I'm tempted to leave it alone for now. This is my first hackintosh and I stumbled my way through most of it, but let me know if you have any questions or want any files and I'll see if I can help.

i have the same hardware setup as you. I've been beating my head against a wall for awhile. I've got a 10.6.2 build and have pretty much everything working. Graphics work, sleep, bluetooth, wifi, etc. The only problem i seem to be having (aside from my audio not really changing all that much between level adjustments) is that my USB is only 1.1. I've tried everything i can find and can't get it to give me 2.0. I was thinking the easiest thing would be to just zip your extras folder, but any help you can provide is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, could somebody please post vanilla 10.6.2 IOUSBFamily.kext? Mine doesn't autoload, I have to load it manually, I think I botched the Info.plist :)

I've tried your method for getting USB 2.0 speeds by replacing the DSDT with yours and I'm still stuck with slow USB speeds...

I have Sleep working via sleepenabler.kext, the ethernet adapter now works (thanks btw), and the only features I am without are sleep when closing lid (not important), shutdown/restart actually shutting down or restarting, and USB speeds are {censored}.

My system: Dell E6500, 10.6.2.

If anybody can shed some light on what I need to do I'd really appreciate it, I've followed steps from several different forums, blogs, etc and none have worked for me so far.

-RDR

If anybody can shed light on what I need to do to get USB 2.0 speeds I'd really appreciate it...syncing my iphone takes forever and a day now...I'd also like to make use of Time Machine with my external HD, but if copying 30gb takes 11 hours I don't even want to know what running TM would take!

-RDR

• 4 weeks later...
After spending about two weeks working on this (and much hair pulling), I've finally got a pretty stable build. ... This is my first hackintosh and I stumbled my way through most of it, but let me know if you have any questions or want any files and I'll see if I can help.

This guide (and all you) has been a HUGE HELP!

Just another bump to encourage metro_88 (or anyone else) to share their Extras folder. I'm on a Dell E6400 as well.

Thanks!

--bp

Hi.

I learned a lot from everyone who's contributed here. Thanks very much everyone. I have a nearly fully-functional 64-bit mode machine now, and have been using it reliably for weeks now. I want to give back, so here's my contribution.

Things have changed since October 2009 when this thread was begun. It is now easier to Hackintosh a Dell E6400/E6500, and to get it to run in 64-bit mode. I have compiled new instructions with some new files, all gathered and included here in one place (with the exception of reliable 64-bit access to NTFS drives, which is provided in the form of a download URL instead, because that download is 8MB in size: too big for this forum).

Instructions are in the PDF file attached here called:

Hackintosh for E6400-E6500 - no attachments.pdf

(It's called "no attachments" because I have another copy of the pdf that includes inside of it, as PDF attachments, all of the files needed to follow the instructions. It is, however, 10MB and therefore prohibited from this forum because of size. So I split everything up and posted it here in separate pieces.)

Highlights of and Features of These Instructions

====================================

• If you already have Windows Installed, allows you to keep that intact, while adding MacOSX to your machine (You need a partition to put MacOSX in. See Preparation Instructions in the PDF).

• Auto-Installs Dual-Boot between MaxOSX and Windows (and/or any other OS you may also already have on your machine, or might put on your machine in future)

• Keep your MBR partition scheme (no need to go GUID partition scheme).

Advantages of this are:

o Your Windows Disk Image Backup software (such as Acronis) that backs up the whole Master Boot Record, partition table and disk signature still works, and includes the Mac partition in the image backup, and still restores the entire drive, even if you change partition sizes (except the Mac HFS+ partition which cannot be resized - with Acronis anyway).

o Your Dell Diagnostics Partition still works (would have been lost if you went GUID)

o Your Existing Windows Install (if you have one) still works as-is (Yes, you can run your existing Windows Install (or other OS) as a virtual machine with MacOSX as the host - your existing install partition can be used as a virtual machine image.)

• Mac OSX is Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (10C540), and it sees your Dell E6400/E6500 as a Mac PowerBook 4,1

• MacOSX starts in 64-bit mode by default (you can optionally force 32-bit mode if you wish). Instructions here are for getting things working in 64-bit mode.

• These instructions provide MacOSX reliable 64-bit mode read/write access to your existing Windows NTFS partitions and external drives. (MacOSX also comes with read-only access to NTFS partitions by default. You can also enable native write access using an undocumented, unsupported, and unstable technique. A technique for doing this is described here but is discouraged by everyone who's used it much, including the good people at Apple. But there are also instructions here for RELIABLE read/write access that represents a stable and preferred method.)

• Simultaneously run both MacOSX aand Windows (or other OS) in 64-bit mode without

re-booting.

What is working:

============

• 64-bit mode for everything that is working

• sound (using alternate volume control)

• Microphone (using alternate volume control)

• Built-in WebCam

• Mouse-nub and its buttons

• Touch-pad and its buttons

• USB devices at USB 2.0 speeds

• External SATA

• Graphics Card at 1920x1200 (Mine is the Nvidia Quatro NVS160M in the E6500)

• Internal WiFi if yours is Broadcom based (mine was not)

• Internal 82556/7 wired network adapter (Internet sharing does not work)

• Restart

What' s not working:

===============

• SD slot

• PC Card slot

• Sleep, Hibernate (they safely shut-down the OS, but power stays on, not in sleep mode, cannot wake up without complete power-off/power-on, which of course destroys sleep)

• Shutdown (safely shuts-down the OS, but not the power)

• Internal Wifi 5100 a/g/n adapter (Internal Broadcom based WiFi works. A USB WiFi adapter with Mac drivers works - see below.)

IF ANYONE CAN CONTRIBUTE WITH ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS TO GET THESE THINGS WORKING, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED BY EVERYONE.

Download all three attachments shown here and see the PDF file among them for detailed instructions, which refer to the other two files attached here.

Additional_Kexts_for_E6400_E6500.zip

Hackintosh_for_E6400_E6500___no_attachments.pdf

Extras_for_E6400_E6500.zip

Download all three attachments shown here and see the PDF file among them for detailed instructions, which refer to the other two files attached here.

I followed the PDF instructions precisely on my clean formatted E6500. The one thing I did differently was use Disk Utility to repartition my disk with 2 partitions using MBR method. I formatted partition 1 as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and partition 2 as MS-DOS so I can later install Windows 7.

But after installing SL I ran into trouble after the second restart. I cleaned my Extra folder and copied all the contents of the "Extras_for_E6400_E6500" there, then ran the Kext Utility. It successfully performed all the repairs. Then I powered down. Surprisingly, it did not hang but truly shut down the power.

When I powered back up I got to the high-rez Chameleon GUI where I saw only the selection for my Mac OS disk. But when I select the small text in upper left of the screen reports "mach_kernel not found," and the selection screen returns. I cannot get past this loop.

Any tips?

*** Edit *** Never mind. After installing Windows on the other partition and running EasyBCD I was able to boot into SL. My sound works without the Voodoo Preference Pane, so I left it at that.

Does it work in Dell Inspiron 560S? It there any root driver for Intel GMX X4500 graphics & G33 Chipset?

MOBO: DG33M06 OR DG33FB

Chipset:G33 ICH9R or ICH9DH

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 ((2.93GHz,1066M 1.1GHz 4GB)

Graphics Processor: Integrated Intel GMA X4500 graphics

Memory: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 800MHz

Does it work in Dell Inspiron 560S? It there any root driver for Intel GMX X4500 graphics & G33 Chipset?

RE: MY POST CONTAINING NEW INSTRUCTIONS AND NEW FILES

Everything except the kexts and Extras should work properly for any PC.

The Kexts (hardware drivers) and Extras (more hardware-specific drivers and other files) will most probably not work as a package, for anything except the Dell E6400 or E6500. These were gathered painstakingly from days and days of scouring the Internet for 64-bit mode drivers compatible with E6400 and E6500.

So, you can follow all of the instructions except those that apply to these two zips (kexts and Extras).

Then you can try the stuff in those two zip files, piece-meal to see if they work or not. DO NOT replace the DSDT created by installing SnowOSX with the one in the Extras zip file. In fact, do not remove anything in the /Extra folder created by SnowOSX install, as that will surely break your install, because the replacements provided here are only for the E6400/E6500.

So, in summary, for any PC, by installing SnowOSX you should have a working Hackintosh. Some of your hardware specifics will not work. You then have to hunt for kexts and DSDT for your specific hardware. Parts of those included in the ZIP files here MIGHT work for you and others not. Search the Internet for and experiment with DSDT files and kexts until your machine works. Best place on the Internet to keep an eye on for universally applicable kexts: http://voodooprojects.org/

NOTE: Always take an image backup because you are sure to break your install again and again doing this kind of experimentation. You will be relieved to be able to just do an image restore, and try again. (I did this several dozen times over 3 months until I had my machine stable and nearly all the hardware working properly)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Download, unzip.

Okay!

After several hours of pulling my hair and temporarily losing my sanity, I finally got a somewhat stable OS X 10.6 build on my Dell Latitude E6500. (I haven't tried to update yet; frankly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)) This is what I did:

1. Used Boot-132 from CD to start the bootloader.
  2. Substituted that CD (after it stopped spinning) for the OS X Snow Leopard Retail DVD.
  3. Formatted my partitions and installed OS X stock. (Takes a while; progress bar may not refresh.)
  4. Used the Boot-132 CD again to start up the bootloader and start OS X from my HD.
  5. Copied CavalierX11's Extras folder to /.
  6. Installed the Chameleon boot loader.
  7. Overwrote the Intel82566M kext with the one provided in the quote above.
  8. Renamed my original DSDT file and copied the DSDT profile from the quote above.
  9. Restarted. If you lose wireless and have the Dell 1395 Wi-Fi card built in, download the Broadcom_4300_Series.zip that's somewhere on this site. Install the kext using Kext Utility and reboot.
  10. Download ClamshellDisplay.kext and install in /System/Library/Extensions to get lid sleep support. Doesn't work in /Extra/Extensions. Use Kext Utility if you're unfamiliar with the manual process.

NOTE: You should NOT need to touch System/Library/Extensions AT ALL.

This method gets you sleep, graphics, USB 2.0 and the webcam, if you have it, in less than an hour. This is not guaranteed to work on other computers. Good luck! -cmn

Key Specifications:

• Model: Dell Latitude E6500, US
  • CPU: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40 GHz
  • RAM: 4GB DDR2-667
  • Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro NVS160M

I am following the instruction to install SL. Until Step 4, Monitor show MAC LOGO only and i'm waiting 5min, it doesn’t have "installation language". What is the problem? thx

1. Boot using Boot 132 CD loader. =>OK

2. Wait until finish booting and your CD stop spinning. Remove the CD and insert Snow Leopard DVD and press F5 (2 times) until you see the SL DVD show up. You might need to wait few sec here. =>OK

3. Select and Boot the SL DVD.=> OK

4. After the "Installation Language" window, open Disk Utility. => Show MAC LOGO only??

KEY SPECIFICATION

hello, sorry i dont know how to do the highlighted quote bit, but this part I cant find in my bios...

6. Make sure your Bios setting for SATA is AHCI. Do not use IRRT, for some reason it just stop working when i set it as IRRT. Since the laptop have only one harddisk, technically IRRT is useless anyway.

because of this I am able to install snow leopard but I just cant boot from it other than using the cd, after installing chameleon the loading cricle just spins and it never loads snow leopard. someone please help me! thanks in advance

A URL pointing to instructions for how to do this are included in the PDF that you can download from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1433385

You could try the instructions in the PDF that you can download from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1433385

While those instructions, and this Forum Post are specifically for the Dell notebook models E6400/6500, and you are not using that notebook computer, the instructions in the PDF that you can download from that URL should get you going anyway. Just don't do the stuff in those instructions that say they're specifically for the Dell notebook model E6400/E6500. Everything else should work on any PC.