[INSTALL/GUIDE] Snow Leopard On Dell E6500/E6400 in 8 simple steps, Dual boot Windows 7 Instruction Included

ntyonline

178 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Thanks to the original post of Pratician, CalaverX11 and many others people, finally i found a way that i think is the easiest plus with minimum tools require to install a clean Snow Leopard on E6500 (I think the same will work on E6400).

Since the original post is more focus on Leopard, so i decide to start a new thread here and use it as the collection points for Snow Leopard with E6400/E6500. If you interest in original post, below is the link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134430

In this guide, you do not need any thumb drive or portable hard drive at all. (It had been puzzle me for some time that should i buy a 8GB thumb drive just to install SL on my machine)

What do you need:

1. Boot 132 CD ISO

2. Ubuntu CD

3. Original Snow Leopard DVD

4. Extra Folder for Snow Leopard, attached below. Special thanks for CalaverX11

5. Chamelon 2 RC 3, attached below.

6. Make sure your Bios setting for SATA is AHCI. Do not use IRRT, for some reason it just stop working when i set it as IRRT. Since the laptop have only one harddisk, technically IRRT is useless anyway. You can google around if you wonder what IRRT use for.

Here we go:

Part 1 Format and Install Snow Leopard:

1. Boot using Boot 132 CD loader.

2. Wait until finish booting and your CD stop spinning. Remove the CD and insert Snow Leopard DVD and press F5 (2 times) until you see the SL DVD show up. You might need to wait few sec here.

3. Select and Boot the SL DVD.

4. After the "Installation Language" window, open Disk Utility.

- If you wish to Dual-boot Windows 7, make at least 2 partitions. The first partition reserve for Windows 7 and create the second partitions as [Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] plus GUID option.

5. Exit the Disk Utility and install SL on the second partition. (Be patient here, you will need at least half an hour. If the progress bar did not move, just move your mouse around, it is just because it is not refresh properly).

6. After finish installing, boot again using the Boot CD 132 and this time select the SL that you just install on your second partition. Hope that you can boot into your newly install SL without problem. -

7. Once you boot into SL, install the Chamelon 2 RC 3 below to the partition that the SL currently install.

8. Copy and paste the extra folder attached below to your extra folder. Thanks to CalaverX11 for collecting all the necessary file.

If you just wish to install SL, you can stop here, if you wish to Dual Boot with Windows 7, see Part 2.

Part 2 Dual boot with Windows 7

1. Boot using Ubuntu disk, and choose the first option that did not really install the Ubuntu, just allow you to run it from the disk.

2. Use the Disk Utilities of Ubuntu to delete the first partition and recreate the first partition.

3. Exit Ubuntu

4. Install Windows 7 as usual. At this points, Windows 7 will be your default boot OS.

5. Install EasyBCD. EasyBCD Download Link

6. Inside EasyBCD, click on Add/Remove Entries

7. Add an entry for Mac and select Drive C:

8. Reboot and try to boot into the Windows 7 and SL. At this points you should have the working Windows 7 and SL.

Currently what is not working:

- Processor show as unknown

- Wifi (Intel 5100 a/g/n): NO

- Shutdown/Restart: NO (There is a work around if you do not need graphic card features. Look below for details)

- Sleep: NO (If you do not need web cam, there is a workaround. Look below for details)

- SD Slot: NO

- PCMCIA: NO

Extra:

1. Wifi:

- For those looking for USB Wifi, take a look at this "TRENDnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB Adapter". It is selling for $32 at buy.com http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=209180504, you can find the driver here http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_sub...6&SUBMIT=Go

- For those want internal Wifi, check on Dell 1510 wifi card

2. Build-in Mic

- Just go to audio setting and try selecting different input & output until your speaker and mic work.

3. Sleep issue (Workaround, webcam not working)

- For those want to make sleep work and do not care about web cam. Follow the instruction mention on this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4430&st=333

Take a look at post #334

4. reboot/shutdown issue solution (Workaround, graphic card not working)

- For those do not care about graphic card features. There are a workaround to make the sleep, reboot and shutdown work. Meaning that you will not be able to use dual monitor, play games that require graphic card features and etc.

- Download "Shutdown Work Graphic Not Work.zip" and paste it into your extra folder. Please backup your "com.apple.Boot" and "smbios" before you replace it.

5. Processor show as unknown (waiting for solution)

If you manage to make any of those work, please let me know and i will update the guide here. Thanks.

Chameleon_2_RC3.zip

CalaverX11Extra.zip

Shutdown_Work_Graphic_Not_Work.zip

I used the thumbdrive method when I first installed SL simply because the boot132 iso for SL didn't exist at the time. I'll give this method a shot and add my details for getting sleep, audio and SD working.

Also, I'm going to slim down the Extra folder as much as possible. I don't believe ALL of those kexts are needed, so I'm going to try to eliminate what I can and post the results.

I used the thumbdrive method when I first installed SL simply because the boot132 iso for SL didn't exist at the time. I'll give this method a shot and add my details for getting sleep, audio and SD working.

Also, I'm going to slim down the Extra folder as much as possible. I don't believe ALL of those kexts are needed, so I'm going to try to eliminate what I can and post the results.

Thanks. Let me know so that i can update this guide. I hope that i can come out with a guide that can make it work perfectly on E6400/E6500 (At Least).

Do you boot into 64 bit or 32 bit? I was beginning to think some of theproblems with sleep, etc might be 32 bit, 64 bit problem what has been your experience?

This is for a 32-bit setup. So far I haven't done extensive testing in 64-bit mode, but that's next on my list once I get everything working in 32-bit. Right now drivers aren't very available in 64-bit, but if someone can point me to where I can find more options I'll take a look.

I bought a couple of Broadcom BCM94321MC mini express wifi n cards which work as native 802.11n cards and are detected as genuine airport in desktop machines when you combine with an hwtool adapter. Is it possible to switch out the wifi device one of these so that we can get native airport as well?

Shutdown works when Cham's GraphicsEnabler is turned off. Shurdown/restart will work as long as there's no display driver loaded.

Therin lies the problem...how do we make shutdown work WITH graphics enabled?

So you mean that the graphic is disable on this setting? How do i check that? The graphic seem fine for me.

So you mean that the graphic is disable on this setting? How do i check that? The graphic seem fine for me.

Yes, your graphics seems to be ok, because you have hardcoded the video card and the resolution settings into your boot.plist. But I don't think you have QE or you can run games like with enabled graphicsenabler in the chameleon settings.

The trick is: In chameleon if you enabled the Graphicsenabler option, it will recognize your card and the graphics part will be ok, but you lose your shutdown/restart

If you disable it, you can operate with efi strings to get some feature of your card, but you will lose the dual screens and some other features, depends on your efi string, but you will have shutdown/restart.

That is the problem for everyone.

Yes, your graphics seems to be ok, because you have hardcoded the video card and the resolution settings into your boot.plist. But I don't think you have QE or you can run games like with enabled graphicsenabler in the chameleon settings.

The trick is: In chameleon if you enabled the Graphicsenabler option, it will recognize your card and the graphics part will be ok, but you lose your shutdown/restart

If you disable it, you can operate with efi strings to get some feature of your card, but you will lose the dual screens and some other features, depends on your efi string, but you will have shutdown/restart.

That is the problem for everyone.

Ok. thanks for the info, but that also mean as long as i did not plan to play games or dual screen, the current setting should work, right?

um............... just wondering will this effect the video editing.

do you know which part to set to enable the Chameleon graphicsenabler? Try to understand more about the tweaking side. thanks.

Does Snow Leopard work with the intel 4500 integrated graphics? I'm new to Mac in general, so I'm not sure if it has GPU effects (like Aero for Windows), but if it does, would it be supported? One last question, does sound work?

Thanks and keep up the great work! :)

Thank you so much for making this SO simple! Unfortunately, being a college student, the wifi is a big necessity of mine so I'm anxiously awaiting a kext to enable it properly... PLEASE keep this project going for the E6400/E6500 models :)

You can always buy the external usb wifi as i mention above or even get the internal wifi that is supported such as Dell 1397.

Does Snow Leopard work with the intel 4500 integrated graphics? I'm new to Mac in general, so I'm not sure if it has GPU effects (like Aero for Windows), but if it does, would it be supported? One last question, does sound work?

Thanks and keep up the great work! :D

I not sure. I guess you can try to google around to see is the graphic card is supported. The sound work fine.

Would it work for Dell M4400?

Could "give it a try" (with my m4400) break or corrupt my bios/notebook due to dsdt?

Where can I find dsdt for M4400? or how could I build new one easilly?

Thanks a lot

You will need to find the right driver for your device.

All hackintosh installation is try at your own risk. :)

So the Chameleon developers nor the PC EFI folks have accomplished Graphics Enabled=Yes AND sleep, shutdown & restart?

Can someone with kext knowledge fix this for us?

Is it a dsdt patch that we need or a new kext?

I just need Sleep, Shutdown & Restart and I've got everything working 100%!!!

Dell Inspiron 1720 8600M GT 256mb 10.6.1 PC EFI V10.5

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I got everything working on the Snow Leopard side of things but when trying to complete Step 2 of dual booting, I've run into some issues. When partitioning the drive initially before my Snow Leopard setup, I made both partitions HFS+ Journaled and made sure to use GUID instead of the other 2 (MBR and something else).. With OSX running perfectly, I pulled up Ubuntu and followed the directions for deleting and reformatting the partition for Windows. Popping in the Vista CD to install the OS on that empty partition, I got an error saying I cannot install on a drive with GPT.. How do I install Windows Vista/7?!?! I verified in Ubuntu that I chose NTFS for that Windows partition but the overall drive is GUID Partition Table..

Please help!

I got everything working on the Snow Leopard side of things but when trying to complete Step 2 of dual booting, I've run into some issues. When partitioning the drive initially before my Snow Leopard setup, I made both partitions HFS+ Journaled and made sure to use GUID instead of the other 2 (MBR and something else).. With OSX running perfectly, I pulled up Ubuntu and followed the directions for deleting and reformatting the partition for Windows. Popping in the Vista CD to install the OS on that empty partition, I got an error saying I cannot install on a drive with GPT.. How do I install Windows Vista/7?!?! I verified in Ubuntu that I chose NTFS for that Windows partition but the overall drive is GUID Partition Table..

Please help!

Try to delete the partition again and recreate the partition using Ubuntu. Don't format it. And are you install the Mac on first partition or second partition. In my case, i install Mac on my third partition and install windows 7 on the first partition.

i am trying this guide.. all went well, till i copied the Extra folder to the root. now i get the grey screen with the shiny apple and the turning wheel..

is there anything special that needs to be done when copying the Extra folder?

System:

Dell E1505

NVIDIA 7300 GO

Try to delete the partition again and recreate the partition using Ubuntu. Don't format it. And are you install the Mac on first partition or second partition. In my case, i install Mac on my third partition and install windows 7 on the first partition.

Now the guide says 'delete the first partition' but I am not deleting the ACTUAL first partition. The first partition for me is EFI so I am actually just deleting the second partition which is my space for Windows 7. I've got it set up for 3 partitions (but there are 4 including the EFI partition).

1. EFI

2. Windows 7

3. Windows XP

4. Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

After deleting the Windows 7 and Windows XP partitions in Ubuntu, pulling up the Vista install disc (which I will upgrade to 7) it says I cannot install to any part of the disc if it is GPT. I set the drive to GUID Partition Table when I installed OS X and it seems as if I cannot install Windows at all if the drive isn't set up with a MBR.. =(

Could it be that I'm using Windows Vista Business SP1 vs Windows 7 Professional?

i am trying this guide.. all went well, till i copied the Extra folder to the root. now i get the grey screen with the shiny apple and the turning wheel..

is there anything special that needs to be done when copying the Extra folder?

System:

Dell E1505

NVIDIA 7300 GO

The extra folder is the driver for E6500. You will need to find the driver that suite your machine. If you copy the whole extra folder, it will create some driver conflict.

What you can do now is boot again using the Boo132 and then remove the Extra folder or try one by one to see which driver work and which is not.

Now the guide says 'delete the first partition' but I am not deleting the ACTUAL first partition. The first partition for me is EFI so I am actually just deleting the second partition which is my space for Windows 7. I've got it set up for 3 partitions (but there are 4 including the EFI partition).

1. EFI

2. Windows 7

3. Windows XP

After deleting the Windows 7 and Windows XP partitions in Ubuntu, pulling up the Vista install disc (which I will upgrade to 7) it says I cannot install to any part of the disc if it is GPT. I set the drive to GUID Partition Table when I installed OS X and it seems as if I cannot install Windows at all if the drive isn't set up with a MBR.. =(

Could it be that I'm using Windows Vista Business SP1 vs Windows 7 Professional?

I actually delete the first partition that i can see on the Ubuntu disk manager. basically what i did is as below:

- Create 3 partitions, 1) 80gb (for windows 7), 2) 120gb (for data) 3, 30gb (for Mac).

- when i delete the partition again, i delete the 80gb one. Strange enough is my EFI partition is becoming the number 4th partition. I guess for Windows to work, it must be the first partition no matter what.

1. EFI

2. Windows 7

3. Windows XP

i have exactly the same problem :/ and no idea what to do. i have installed osx and win7 i guess 6 times with different methods, but got no dual boot :(

The extra folder is the driver for E6500. You will need to find the driver that suite your machine. If you copy the whole extra folder, it will create some driver conflict.

What you can do now is boot again using the Boo132 and then remove the Extra folder or try one by one to see which driver work and which is not.

thats what i thought. so basically i just need to find all the kexts i need for the E1505/6400 and place it in the folder and i should be good to go.. right?

i will give it a shot today. thank you for your response.