Looking for a laptop

1 post in this topic

I'm currently looking for a laptop and I'm not sure which would satisfy me better.

I've been looking at the MB, MBP 13 and Dell Studio 14z at 1000$ cdn before taxes on dell.ca with the upgrades that I want.

I found that the Dell Studio runs OS X, which seems nice.

I don't care for the dvd drive, I don't care about the speaker... headphone jack is important but otherwise I'll use an external sound card so I need firewire for that. I'd like good battery life, portability (13-14") good screen resolution.

The Dell 14z has the advantage of being cheaper, even with the 1600x900 res upgrade, backlit keyboard, 8cell battery.

The MBP has the advantage of offering a very good built quality versus the plastic dell, the battery seems to be better but it's more expensive, only has 1280 x 800 resolution and less ram.. unless I upgrade to 4gb or get the 2.53ghz one.. but that makes the laptop at least 1500$ with taxes, around 1750$ for the 2.53ghz mbp.

I'm wondering if there are other alternatives that I missed... I do not consider the Studio XPS 13 because despite the slightly better specs (ram easier to upgrade, better graphic?) it's bigger, the battery life is worse, screen resolution is also smaller and it's more expensive. I think a MBP would be a better purchase than the Studio XPS 13 anyway.

Shoot your ideas.. Thanks