Dual Booting Vista and OSx on Vista laptop

1 post in this topic

Ok, first off, i'm pretty much new here, so sorry if i'm breaking any rules by posting this up here.

Anyway, to business.

I have an Acer Aspire 6920g which i got a couple years back now. I'm really happy with it, but as time has gone on, vista has just been nuisance after nuisance.

I'm pretty sick of it now, and my laptop needs a good OS reinstalling and complete clearing anyway, but instead of totally getting rid of vista in favour of Mac OSx, i want to keep it installed for two or three reasons. For one, i want to keep compatibility with windows-only programs, as well as keeping all my stuff i've installed up to now still on my hard drive. the other reason is that windows 7, which i will eventually be getting around christmas, is a lot cheaper if you're upgrading from vista, rather than installing it fresh.

My laptop already has a hard-drive with 2 partitions, both of them with windows-related stuff and files on them, however, obviously, only one of them has vista installed on it.

what i want to be able to do is quite simple, in my mind.

1. Create a smallish (10-15 GB) partition on my second partition, giving me three partitions altogether.

2. Install mac OSx on the third partition without interfering with vista

3. Be able to decide which one to boot up easily

I've read up about dual booting and such everywhere, and i've read a lot of different things, such as that i'd need a vista install disc (which i dont have because it came preinstalled) to fix vista after OSx breaks winload.exe, i've heard that Snow leopard Doesn't work for this sort of thing, so i just came here for some answers, and to clear all of this up. I guess what confused me the most is that everone who does this sort of thing generally has a Vista disc they can use to reinstall vista if things go wrong (i'm not even sure what things and how they could go wrong), which i don't have. So my question is:

Is what I want to do feasibly possible, and if so, how would i go about accomplishing it?

Thanks for taking the time to help me, and i'm sorry if this was posted in the wrong place or if i've broken any rules.