GMA 500 - DEVELOPERS NEEDED

mullany

46 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

lastowl,

Thanks for the offer extension! Let us know what you need when the time permits.

The Acer 11 inch makes for a good mac netbook and I think that the video card is the only thing lacking for a complete swap to SL.

And if we could get a WIFI fix, just need icelord to hack the BIOS like he did on the hp mini 311( everything works on that netbook now). I am tempted to trade(hp 311 has Nvidia Ion graphics) but I been through alot with this ao751, and I have a feeling it will get there eventually, just need to wait.

I can only post what Hagar did post in another tread (Tread about my blunt way to tell people it dont work tho but it is relevant info for you guys also)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1419363

I can just say this: Good luck and i will bet you it will never happen unless apple deside to use the GMA500 (really small chance for that)

Hi Mushishi,

I understand that for graphics cards, it may be a bit different than other hardware like Eth cards, wireless cards, sound cards, etc. I see a lot of the latter hardware providing their own software/driver to work on OSX. However, it is true that nothing besides the supported video hardware seems to be working if not originally supported by Apple.

It is sad to hear the message of the developers effort. I am a Moderator at evolution m.net (Same username) which focus on Mitsubishi Evolution Cars and participated on many developments for certain changes to the main car ECU way far beyond the reach of Mitsubishi Support. Assemblying and Disssaemblying BIOS, flashing memory,pushing boot loaders, etc. I thought there would be similar approach here.

On another note, it may be the case that this is not possible on OSX86 to accomplish that. I just do not have the experience and exposure to Apple to say one way or the other.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out! Seems fair to me.

joedr Well problem is that osx is diffrent from linux, unix and bsd even tho it is closer to the last then the first, so if you have to do a driver here you will have to write it from buttom up...

What we have of help so far as support for non apple audio codecs, are not full drivers (Ok voodoohda is in a way), but they just inject the corrrect values in to the apple drivers (In the audio case into AppleHDA)

But everything (well 99% of everything) is just a hacked version of drivers out there or is injectors for the same drivers. but they do need the apple drivers to work.

Ohhhhh! I understand now!

It would require somebody to write a driver from zero which is a steep goal. Not everybody has the skill sets and experience required to do it just for fun or hobby.

BTW... you just cleared me the term "inject" commonly used on the Mac scene/forums. That has been an eye opener for me.

Oh well! It seems that the Netbook will have to be put on hold. BTW... the Mackbook Air at 1800 USD is out of reach for the moment. No that it is not worth it, its just the price is to high. For that money I would be able to get a supported netbook and a desktop running OSX86.

I may consider selling my netbook and buy a supported one.

hi

were you able to install mac os x on acer aspire one ao751h

alex wes

Guys, and gals; More and more shiny NetBooks are floating out onto the market, the highend are coming with Nvidia Ion or GMA4500, bu the lowend are shipping with the GMA500 GPU. This is pretty much down to the power consumption and ability to decode HDVideo.

Now, I moved from a MSI Wind U100 to an Acer Aspire 751h (Z520, 2GB, GMA500) - it has an 11.6" (1366x768) display, which I thought would be great for OS X, Now, I am no noob when it comes to hackintoshing, (I remember hacking the intel release of 10.4!) - but I had a certain faith in the community when it came to developing support to these products. But now, many months on, I find myself looking into forums and scratching my head looking for ANY movement on GMA500 development.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry, miffed or otherwise pissed, I'm simply commenting. There are plenty of capable machines out there that could be used to great effect, if only their graphics issues were addressed. Now, I could sit here and comment all day, but I have been doing my research - back in the day, when certain audio chipsets were unsupported, the OS X driver developers looked to linux to provide a leg up. If there was a linux river, then more likely that not, and OS X driver could be built.

Now, before you all poo poo this by pointing out that linux has no support for GMA500, I would like to direct you to some very new news from Mandriva. Their latest and greatest (which is still in RC) has support for moblin, and the GMA500 chipset. This is rather interesting when you consider that Intel have been lazy with the drivers for linux.

My thought is simple: many of us lack the skills required to hack together our own drivers or support - so I offer my hand in friendship and support to those of you willing to take the challenge. We now have a starting block, a toe on the stairs so to speak. I just hope this fantastic community can rally once more, and put together a driver for that last third of the NetBook market!

• 5 weeks later...
I may consider selling my netbook and buy a supported one.

Well if I may suggest one, "if you havn't read my post on aao forum"

go with the asus 1201n, but keep your wifi card(the dell card) because

you'll need to change it out. It's a dual core atom with nvidia ion graphics.

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a/web/in...1n---usb-10-6-x

• 5 weeks later...

I have a simple question: will the driver for the GMA500 support WDDM 1.1? The hardware is DX10.1 capable, but lacks driver support. Vista GMA500 driver is not compatible with Win7, using it leads to a lot of bsod in many operations. With wddm 1.1 memory usage for the dwm hopefully will be reduced, and maybe will get a better 2d acceleration, useful for flash apps. As a last chance, if wddm 1.1 support is not planned, will wddm 1.0 Vista driver be patched to work well under Win7?

best education|what the best

• 3 weeks later...
Well if I may suggest one, "if you havn't read my post on aao forum"

go with the asus 1201n, but keep your wifi card(the dell card) because

you'll need to change it out. It's a dual core atom with nvidia ion graphics.

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a/web/in...1n---usb-10-6-x

Thanks for the advice! Looks like a solid netbook/laptop for a dual boot setup.

• 5 months later...

count me in as donator for this driver/kexts, i own a sony vaio P11Z, where everything is working now, except the QE/CI accelaration and the LAN, who needs lan? - LOL -

special thanks go at this place to ryuu123, maybe ask him to participate?

ps i am a software tester, so i can at least test the stuff professionally...

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

I am willing to volunteer for any development for the GMA 500.

Count me in for anything! I own an Acer AO751H and got pretty much everything working except video. This particular model has 11.6" and this display looks awesome which makes it a good candidate for a Mac Netbook at an affordable price.

Subscribing to the thread!

Hey Joedr

i'm trying to install on the same netbook but i can't get passed the boot section. It shows an error and freezes. I'll try later so i can post the error. Would you have a script to install on this machine, even thou the graphics are still not so good ??

thanks... i'm really looking to install mac os on my netbook and say bye to wndows.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

why are people bumping this thread. It will never work. GMA500 is using PowerVR, which is way too proprietary to ever work on os x since there isn't any source code on the driver. There are only pre-compiled drivers for win/linux which don't work properly either.... and you all know that.

• 4 months later...