Paragon NTFS and 64 bit Snow Leopard

BJMoose

24 posts in this topic

My Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard has been running SL at 32 bits for a couple of months now and everything works fine. I've tested all my software and for what I use OSX for, I'm more that satisfied.

However, I would like to also build my system in 64 bit mode. I'm not here to argue about the logic of 32 vs. 64 bit systems. I'd just like to have both possibilities if I choose to. The only 2 things that are holding me back in 64 bit mode is ethernet and Paragon NTFS. Right now, I'm just focusing on Paragon.

Paragon NTFS works fine in 32 bit mode. From what I can gather, it's supposed to support 64 bit too, but when I go into 64 bit mode, all my NTFS volumes are not visible...even in Disk Utility. If I uninstall Paragon and reboot (still in 64 bit mode), all my volumes re-appear, however only in read only format. Any ideas? I don't really want to activate 'read and write' in the OS itself since many have stated that they've lost data that way. I've been using Paragon for over 2 years now and have had no problems with data stability. Thanks.

My Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard has been running SL at 32 bits for a couple of months now and everything works fine. I've tested all my software and for what I use OSX for, I'm more that satisfied.

However, I would like to also build my system in 64 bit mode. I'm not here to argue about the logic of 32 vs. 64 bit systems. I'd just like to have both possibilities if I choose to. The only 2 things that are holding me back in 64 bit mode is ethernet and Paragon NTFS. Right now, I'm just focusing on Paragon.

Paragon NTFS works fine in 32 bit mode. From what I can gather, it's supposed to support 64 bit too, but when I go into 64 bit mode, all my NTFS volumes are not visible...even in Disk Utility. If I uninstall Paragon and reboot (still in 64 bit mode), all my volumes re-appear, however only in read only format. Any ideas? I don't really want to activate 'read and write' in the OS itself since many have stated that they've lost data that way. I've been using Paragon for over 2 years now and have had no problems with data stability. Thanks.

I had same situation. Try 7.03. In my case it works.

cheers

@ugljesha

I had same situation. Try 7.03. In my case it works.

cheers

Hi, well I upgraded to 703 and it got better, but not completely. Now at least, when set to 64bit mode, I can see all my NTFS drives. However, in 64 bit mode, they revert back to read only. If I switch back to 32 bit mode, they go back to read and write mode. I am going to check SL in both of my other systems (#'s 2 and 3 in my sig) to see if this is a motherboard thing.

@zarac

snow leopard has built-in native r/w support for ntfs, it is just disabled by default.

here's how to enable it - no need for paragon ntfs:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/how-to-enable-...r-snow-leopard/

I've tried that method and it appears to work, but as I said in my first post, there are countless numbers of sites that report instabilities with that method. Many users who are power users report losing data altogether, both on the OSX and the Windows side. Thanks for your advice though.

Yep,

Enabling NTFS R/W on SL makes the system very unstable. On my pc it even corrupted some data.

The best solution is NFTS-3G, BUT (with CAPS), you have to install a 64bit version of MacFuse. Otherwise, it won't work.

I got it working right now on my Hackintosh.

Dowload and install NTFS-3G and then overwrite the version of MacFUSE that comes with NTFS-3G with the latest version from their site.

I hope it helps.

EDIT: Here's the link for the MacFUSE version I use.

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's the link for the MacFUSE version I use.

Cheers!

Hi, Thanks for the info. I uninstalled my Paragon NTFS altogether and then I installed NTFS-3G (v.2009-4.4) and MacFUSE 2.1.7. All is looking good for reading and writing in OSX. 'Get Info' says under Sharing & Permissions that I have Custom Access. Not familiar with the terminology, but it works under 32 and 64 bit mode. I'm going to transfer about 120gb of DVD ISO's (they're all backed up just in case) back and forth a couple of times tonight and tomorrow just to test the stability.

If this works, all I need to do is find (or wait until someone creates it) a 64 bit driver for my ethernet to have 100% vanilla system for both 32/64 bits on my GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I uninstalled my Paragon NTFS altogether and then I installed NTFS-3G (v.2009-4.4) and MacFUSE 2.1.7. All is looking good for reading and writing in OSX. 'Get Info' says under Sharing & Permissions that I have Custom Access. Not familiar with the terminology, but it works under 32 and 64 bit mode. I'm going to transfer about 120gb of DVD ISO's (they're all backed up just in case) back and forth a couple of times tonight and tomorrow just to test the stability.

If this works, all I need to do is find (or wait until someone creates it) a 64 bit driver for my ethernet to have 100% vanilla system for both 32/64 bits on my GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard.

You're welcome.

Thank God my ethernet works OOB (RTL8168B/8111B) and therefore I can use it on both 32/64 bits.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Greetings from Venezuela.

Cheers!

You're welcome. Thank God my ethernet works OOB (RTL8168B/8111B) and therefore I can use it on both 32/64 bits. If you need anything else, let me know. Greetings from Venezuela. Cheers!

Greetings back to you from Delaware, USA. I know what you mean about the ethernet. I have a GA-EP45-DQ6 (sig #2) and I got 64 Bit set up pretty easily. On the EX58, it has the 8111D and that seems to be more difficult. 32 Bit works perfectly, but I just like to get everything maxed out if possible. I found a RealTekR1000 kext that kind of works in 64 Bit mode, but it only works in S/L/E as opposed to E/E. One of my goals is to have a perfectly vanilla hard drive.

Running with 64bit is fine but one thing need to be consider were the driver. As my machine, with DSDT almost all hardware working OTB. The only I need were EFI string for my VGA. Been running Paragon NTFS v6.5 in 32bit mode & still it was stable as in Leopard. Going to try the new MacFuse after I get back home later :)

Greetings back to you from Delaware, USA. I know what you mean about the ethernet. I have a GA-EP45-DQ6 (sig #2) and I got 64 Bit set up pretty easily. On the EX58, it has the 8111D and that seems to be more difficult. 32 Bit works perfectly, but I just like to get everything maxed out if possible. I found a RealTekR1000 kext that kind of works in 64 Bit mode, but it only works in S/L/E as opposed to E/E. One of my goals is to have a perfectly vanilla hard drive.

Hey BJMoose... what about the MacFuse Test?

Hi, if you're asking about transferring the 120gb of DVDs moved back and forth on 5 different hard drives, that worked fine. I transferred them from the original eSATA drive to 4 different installed SATA drives and them back to an eSATA drive. It took a long time since I'd start one drive, go to work, and then transfer another before I'd go to bed...and so on. All the files transferred in OSX and I tried various DVD files on Media Center in Windows 7 and everything I tried worked.

snow leopard has built-in native r/w support for ntfs, it is just disabled by default.

here's how to enable it - no need for paragon ntfs:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/how-to-enable-...r-snow-leopard/

I have got 3 disks with almost 2TB of Data CORRUPTED by this metod.

WARNING: DO NOT USE NATIVE NTFS R/W, APPLE HAVE DISABLED IT FOR A REASON!

thanks for the warning about bad native support.

i have just set up a SL machine and i only read about it - never tested tho.

is there any difference in performance between paragon and MacFuse?

i have been using paragon with leopard for ages. it is fast, but not completely reliable.

on the other hand macfuse+ntfs-3g was stable as a rock, but painfully slow in transfer rates.

has this changed? last i tried macfuse+ntfs3g was around 2 years ago.

I have got 3 disks with almost 2TB of Data CORRUPTED by this metod.

WARNING: DO NOT USE NATIVE NTFS R/W, APPLE HAVE DISABLED IT FOR A REASON!

On my Hackintosh it corrupted data, too.

I think the best method for now is NTFS-3G with 64 bit MacFUSE. I've been using it almost since 10.6 came out (I've tried the native support first) and had no problems at all.

Cheers!

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THE FOLLOWING:

el_charlie

HaChInToSh

And my condolences to HaChInToSh

I just lost about 200GB of newly downloaded data :)

And that was not my worst nightmare...

My project study material and already prepared thesis files and the containing folder was completely wiped out...

from a 350GB partition which had about 347 GB filled up completely....

the M :( F-ing WindbloWz chkdsk completely deleted the entries for 150 GB of data from the NTFS MFT and log table.

it has been three days.... I've installed a XP copy on a spare primary partition trying to recover data... using OERP

But this is just wasted efforts....

To all People out here....

my honest advice to you... coz even after I, myself, posted a guide to enabling Read and Write using internal

ntfs.kext

PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT CHOOSE SPEED OVER SECURITY...!

Lastly....

I had tried installing the latest NTFS-3G (v.2009-4.4) but it disabled all my NTFS volumes and used to display errors during kernel boot up...

hence, I had to disable it and remove it..

Can anyone post which commands need to be run to install it perfectly, please?

-Regards,

:(Freaky Chokra :(

Freaky Chokra,

It's not Windows fault (this time). It's the native NTFS kext's fault that can't handle the data well.

Fortunately for me, the only data it corrupted was OSX downloads. I had downloaded many icons for my folders and it corrupted them. No programs were harmed.

But the anoying part was that CHKDSK had to run everytime I booted on Windows. And that's how it should be.

About the NTFS-3G it won't work if you boot on 64bits unless you install a 64bit version of MacFUSE (the responsible to load NTFS-3G kext). The link is few posts above.

Cheers!

Hi, I just tried the Macfuse option.. it works perfectly for me

mobo = Gigabyte g31m-es2l

memory= 4gig

nvidia 9500gt 512mb

os=snow leo retail

cpu. q6600 overclocked to 3ghz

Freaky Chokra,

It's not Windows fault (this time). It's the native NTFS kext's fault that can't handle the data well.

Fortunately for me, the only data it corrupted was OSX downloads. I had downloaded many icons for my folders and it corrupted them. No programs were harmed.

But the anoying part was that CHKDSK had to run everytime I booted on Windows. And that's how it should be.

About the NTFS-3G it won't work if you boot on 64bits unless you install a 64bit version of MacFUSE (the responsible to load NTFS-3G kext). The link is few posts above.

Cheers!

Oh thanks for the reply and feedback.. Except that because the bad NTFS.kext.....

It messed up the entire NTFS MFT and file table and bitmap table......that is why the data loss.

and chkdsk .... simply went ahead and chose to delete all the available entries....ENTIRELY!!!!

I still have the 702 KB log of the chkdsk that deleted over 150 Gb of my data and a working Windows 7 64 bit.iso image

and other personal Stuff... which I don't recollect...what was where..

Coz I was in the process of moving data ... to making it more organized.... and Damn it.. SiHt happened...

Just Forrest Gump said ;)

Secondly...I exactly (do) agree with you about the driver too... What a lame driver.........!!!!! That too from Apple Inc.?

[except that it works faster than what Windows does when moving or copying data ;)]

Moreover, Ya me too lost a whole load of data downloaded from the iNet but then...

But then just a few things which were personal like... notes and work files :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ... Got ruined ... :( :( :(

Damn..

This time ... I did somthing .. different

used root login

and uninstalled everything that was 3rd party...

Then edited the fstab and set the Windows 7 boot "System Reserved" partition to Read-Only and noauto mount

So as to hide it automatically at boot..

Then used the latest NTFS-3G catacombae version and 64-bit Macfuse version on Snow Leo.

Since then things are were working fine.... except that Just on Nov 1st, Sunday I messed up my Snow Leo Installation and Finder crashes on login/launch..

NO work around.. :(

But only re-install.. :(

Lastly..

my advise to people... please do not go ahead and buy the Tuxera NTFS-3G driver ... for $49....

Coz it cannot handle transferring large amounts of data or importantly largesized files it will nuke your partition and then, automatically unmount it and the rest of the drive to cannot be accessed until you SHUTDOWN ur hackintosh

and do a warm reboot.

So others reading this...

BEWARE :D .... BE WARNED... :wacko:

The Last thing that works as i tried it just today morning so as to backup

and format re-install Leopard 10.5.6 and then Snow Leo 10.6.0,

was INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF MediaFour MacDrive 8.0 something!!!

It bloody works great in Windows 7 64 bit...

So trust me it will work in other XP - Vista - Windows

32 bit as well as 64 bit......

So good luck and happy saving data....!!!

-Regards,

Freaky Chokra :angel:

Sorry to hear(read) that.

But it's weird that NTFS-3G messed you SL installation.

The only thing I recommend is to DELETE your fstab file (when you instal SL this file doesn't exist), leave the partitions as they should be and use the NTFS-3G driver with the 64bit MacFUSE. I got it that way on my hackintosh and store my data on NTFS and so far, so good.

The only thing I don't do is use the main Windows partition (the system) through OSX. I only store data on the Data partition. I don't want to lose my windows partition for any possible error.

I also use MacDrive 8 on Windows 7 x64 and works fine, but is kind of anoying that everytime the system starts up, I got an autorun message from my Mac partition, like when you insert an USB flash drive.

And yes, the CHKDSK should be more careful to keep user data.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear(read) that.

But it's weird that NTFS-3G messed you SL installation.

Hey!

Thanks for the reply..

Just that... maybe I didn't put it through simply. :P;)

The NTFS-3G did not break my Snow Leo install.. but some thing happened to my iWork 09 installation and it wouldn't work on the day of my College presentation....

Keynote refused to export to a PPT format and the MOV so created would remain stuck at slide number 2.

SO I did some force install using Pacifist as god knows why the installer (mpkg) in the iWork09.dmg popped

and error about this doesn't have right permisssions or the file is damaged...

But using Pacifist i was able to install it over the existing files .. thinking it would fix the corrupted or missing files... or permissions if any..

but that ruined my install of Snow Leo... not NTFS-3G...

NTFS-3G works great except it doesn't mount a certain partition...

Tuxera did a great job... but it used to quit or automatically unmount a drive from (or to) large data transfers would be initiated or large-sized files would be copied or moved from/to.

So.. this NTFS scene wiwth Tuxera... is total :) faecal excretion :wacko::P and the NTFS.kext sucks except for extremely high data transfer rates...

SO till then we will all have to use NTFS-3G catacombae version or for those for whom it works.. the ubilio version... :D:blink:

Or else... till Paragon... moves in and drops a bomb :D;):P on the idiotic Tuxera guys who are charging a bomb :wacko: and not giving a quality product in the end. :rolleyes::unsure:

Till next time.... :blink:

-Thanks & Regards,

Freaky Chokra :angel:

Hahahahahaha!!!!

LOL!

I know. So far I've only tried the f****ing native kext and NTFS-3G.

But I strongly recommend to backup your data many times to be safe.

One thing I've noticed with NTFS-3G is that you can't save directly to a NTFS drive from Firefox. It gives me an error. It's the only caveat I've found so far.

The speed on my hack is good considering my OSX drive is still IDE (I know, old) and my Win7/Data drive is SATA II and I don't complain about it.

I'm thinking on getting a 320+ SATA II HD for Snow Leopard and to store more data there.

Offtopic:

If I use an external but smaller (in capacity versus my system partition) HD, can I still use it for TimeMachine?????

Cheers!!

Hahahahahaha!!!!

LOL!

I know. So far I've only tried the f****ing native kext and NTFS-3G.

But I strongly recommend to backup your data many times to be safe.

One thing I've noticed with NTFS-3G is that you can't save directly to a NTFS drive from Firefox. It gives me an error. It's the only caveat I've found so far.

The speed on my hack is good considering my OSX drive is still IDE (I know, old) and my Win7/Data drive is SATA II and I don't complain about it.

I'm thinking on getting a 320+ SATA II HD for Snow Leopard and to store more data there.

Offtopic:

If I use an external but smaller (in capacity versus my system partition) HD, can I still use it for TimeMachine?????

Cheers!!

Yes, you can use it for TimeMaschine, as long as the used space on your system partition is less then the one on your backup HD.

But when you use the whole space available, the backup HD has to be bigger then the system partition.

On topic: Today I've written an E-Mail to Paragon and asked them, how long it'll take, till they bring a new update, witch brings support for the 64 bit kernel.

(I'm not sure if this sentence is right, but I hope so :) ,if not, feel free to correct me)

• 2 weeks later...
@ugljesha

Hi, well I upgraded to 703 and it got better, but not completely. Now at least, when set to 64bit mode, I can see all my NTFS drives. However, in 64 bit mode, they revert back to read only. If I switch back to 32 bit mode, they go back to read and write mode. I am going to check SL in both of my other systems (#'s 2 and 3 in my sig) to see if this is a motherboard thing.

@zarac

I've tried that method and it appears to work, but as I said in my first post, there are countless numbers of sites that report instabilities with that method. Many users who are power users report losing data altogether, both on the OSX and the Windows side. Thanks for your advice though.

yeah, it has been corupting my ntfs drive. I need to undo this asap. Im in windows 7 now and 800GB unaccessible, but i think windows can fix it. I hope