[SOLVED] Enabling Quartz?

pcmantinker

23 posts in this topic

I've installed Snow Leopard 10.6 retail and updated to 10.6.1. I have my nVidia 9200M GS video card recognized with an EFI string, but I can't figure out how to enable quartz extreme. I tried using the OSX86Tools quartz enabler, but it does not work with Snow Leopard. I would like to enable quartz so that I can have better video playback and some of the other benefits that come with quartz. Thanks.

Snow Leopard no longer shows in System Profiler if you have QE/CI enabled - there's no need to since all Macs that can run Snow Leopard have video cards that support Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

If your menu bar is transparent and you see the ripple effect in Dashboard when adding a new widget, then you have QE/CI.

OSX86Tools never had any magic button to disable/enable hardware acceleration.

It had a button to toggle QuartzGL which is not the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Compositor

Oh, ok. Thank you for the information. My menubar is not transparent and I don't see the ripple effect when adding widgets to the Dashboard. I have tried NVInject compiled for Snow Leopard but haven't seen any changes in the menubar. I believe that I had Quartz working in Leopard with Natit, but I am not sure if there is a Snow Leopard compatible release of Natit. The main reason that I would like to have Quartz is for video playback. Right now, I don't get any video playback from VLC which is disappointing. It's not a huge deal since I can play videos just fine through Windows 7 or Linux Mint.

EDIT:

Got Quartz working by removing my EFI String and using NVEnabler 64 for Snow Leopard. Now I have full GPU power. :P

• 3 months later...

Remove the EFI string and try NVEnabler 64 for Snow Leopard. NVInject didn't seem to work for me. Also, if you have both an enabler and EFI string, they will conflict with each other.

Remove the EFI string and try NVEnabler 64 for Snow Leopard. NVInject didn't seem to work for me. Also, if you have both an enabler and EFI string, they will conflict with each other.

Thanks for the reply. Removed the string from com.apple.Boot.plist. Removed NVInject. Installed NVEnabler 64.kext. Got Flashing Blue/Grey screen. Any ideas?

Its a PNY Verto GeForce 6200 PCI 256MB.
With that graphics card, the NVEnabler 64 may not work. You might try Natit. Also, I'm not sure about getting Quartz with the 6200 chipset. I forget if I was able to get Quartz working with my older 5200. I realize they're not the same chipset, but I think that Quartz will only work on series 7 or higher graphics cards. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

With that graphics card, the NVEnabler 64 may not work. You might try Natit. Also, I'm not sure about getting Quartz with the 6200 chipset. I forget if I was able to get Quartz working with my older 5200. I realize they're not the same chipset, but I think that Quartz will only work on series 7 or higher graphics cards. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

thanks. i have quartz working with that card NVInject on 10.5.2 so maybe its just a SL thing. Hard time findind video cards as the only pcie slot i have is an x1 hence the PCI cards. Havent tried natit yet so I might give that a go. I also tried adding device ID to the kexts and nothing. The closest I have gotten is by swapping the nvidia/geforce kexts with the one from my Leopard install. The screen output is garbled and red but I get a mouse pointer. MIght also try EFI strings again. A ton of post say that is the way to go so maybe i just hosed mine up somehow. About ready to give up and grab a new card if I can find a PCI card that will work well.

thanks. i have quartz working with that card NVInject on 10.5.2 so maybe its just a SL thing. Hard time findind video cards as the only pcie slot i have is an x1 hence the PCI cards. Havent tried natit yet so I might give that a go. I also tried adding device ID to the kexts and nothing. The closest I have gotten is by swapping the nvidia/geforce kexts with the one from my Leopard install. The screen output is garbled and red but I get a mouse pointer. MIght also try EFI strings again. A ton of post say that is the way to go so maybe i just hosed mine up somehow. About ready to give up and grab a new card if I can find a PCI card that will work well.
If you're going to get a new card, I'd recommend at least an 8 series card. Also, do some research on what vanilla cards work with EFI strings and see if you can get one of those. Good luck.

• 6 months later...

After you remove your EFI string, you may try using a newer boot loader (chameleon 2.0 RC5 or aserebln) with a graphics enabler and it should detect your card if it's supported. You just need to set graphics enabler to true in your boot plist.

:unsure: Didn't you put it there yourself?

Here's your how-to:

com.apple.Boot.plist is in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ or (EFI)/Extra, depending on what type of OS X installation you have.

Open it in a text editor and delete the "Device-Properties" key and string.

After you remove your EFI string, you may try using a newer boot loader (chameleon 2.0 RC5 or aserebln) with a graphics enabler and it should detect your card if it's supported. You just need to set graphics enabler to true in your boot plist.

Thnks i will try this two things.

I just can not make it work the second display, the funny thing is that after the last upgrade was working fine, but now it isn´t, when I check in system profile, graphics card give me the folowing info:

Unknown nVidia card:

Modelo de chipset: Unknown nVidia card

Tipo: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Anchura de canal PCIe: x16

VRAM (total): 512 MB

Fabricante: NVIDIA (0x10de)

ID del dispositivo: 0x0605

ID de la revisión: 0x00a2

Revisión de la ROM: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2

Pantallas:

• 1 month later...
Snow Leopard no longer shows in System Profiler if you have QE/CI enabled - there's no need to since all Macs that can run Snow Leopard have video cards that support Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

If your menu bar is transparent and you see the ripple effect in Dashboard when adding a new widget, then you have QE/CI.

OSX86Tools never had any magic button to disable/enable hardware acceleration.

It had a button to toggle QuartzGL which is not the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Compositor

So You mean "If your menu bar is transparent and you see the ripple effect in Dashboard when adding a new widget, then you have QE/CI."

Pls Confirm Thnx.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually what I meant was "If you see a unicorn dancing across your screen farting rainbows, then you have QE/CI".

Sorry for being so vague, I'll try to improve my sentence structure in the future.

What colour is the unicorn supposed to be? and by dancing do you mean be-bop or just shakira styli? I keep adding stuff to the dashboard but I haven't see one yet, just I'd like to be prepared for when I do. :wacko:

fight.jpg

Seriously, wtf:

So You mean "If your menu bar is transparent and you see the ripple effect in Dashboard when adding a new widget, then you have QE/CI."

Pls Confirm Thnx.

• 1 month later...