Performance Update 1.0

abezors

19 posts in this topic

Apple released a fix for the intermittent HDD stall bug I've been plagued with in SL woo :D ! It's a 300k Performance Update 1.0

I went to install their fix but - it's a firmware patch apparently. It won't install as "Your computer does not have eligible hardware." :D

If it's a firmware patch I guess I can't do anything about it. But if anybody knows a work-around it'd be helpful... I get stalls and slow HDD activity every couple of minutes.

Patch DSDT to free up IRQs for your SATA controller.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

My DSDT is already patched and thought it was fine, but I will do it all again in this case. Though that link you provided may be a different problem I'm not sure (plus mine's a Gigabyte board).

Basically some apps will freeze up for a few seconds every couple of minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will give it a go.

My DSDT is already patched and thought it was fine

None of the automatic DSDT patchers cover this issue.

Use DSDTSE to extract, hand-edit and recompile your DSDT.

http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

Latest iasl compiler available here, you can replace the one inside DSDTSE.app

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189272

I've never actually had much luck with the auto DSDT patchers, I've always done it manually. I have been digging into my DSDT a bit more now though, so I'll try and correct the problem.

I knew the Apple firmware update wouldn't work, but wanted to find the issue it addressed - since it's only nForce boards anyway, it doesn't matter. Looks like I'll be getting to know my DSDT a little better this weekend...

Thanks for your replies anyway :angel:

Alright then. That should make nForce board owners happy..
Tried the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the "update" and SL froze. Reverted back to the original IOAHCIFamily.kext.

..then again, maybe not.

Check your working IOACHIFamily, in particular the kext that drives your SATA controller in the plugins folder vs. a vanilla one with the same version number (extract it from original OS X install DVD using Pacifist) and see if any device IDs have been added to it. If you see any, add them to the new one and try again.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to use the old plugin with the new IOAHCIFamily.kext.

It doesn't matter if it's not exactly the same. You're not supposed to replace the whole device with what he posted. Keep them like they are and just remove the IRQNoFlags (and the brackets that belong to it) from the devices that have them. If they don't have any, you're fine. Look at his before-and-after code snippets to see exactly what you have to remove.

Run DSDTSE and just type Device (PIC) or whatever in the search box to quickly find each device in your DSDT.

If you downloaded DSDTSE already, visit the link again, there's a new and much improved version available now.

Ok so even without the dead/dying drive I'm still getting freezes. It's becoming almost unbearable, what do I do? :D

-Rich-

If I were you I'd start a new thread for your problem. I don't mean to be rude :unsure:

More people will be able to help you, plus it's not related to this topic at all so...