How can i get my Broadcom 440x ethernet Working~!!

YOUNGZi

86 posts in this topic

Hi There,

I am using BCM 440X in my Dell700M too.

Use the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext form 10.4.3 you will be ok. :D

I solved this problem now. Remember we must shut down the compute after reply the file. Reboot can not "wake up" the BCM 440X . :rolleyes:

ACER TravelMate 2400 : Windows XP & Mac OS X 10.4.7

---------------------------------------------

Intel GMA 900

Sound AC97 (Realtek Chipset)

Intel Wireless 2200

Broadcom 440X 10/100 LAN

DVD-RAM : DVD RW +R DL

PCMCIA : CDMA 1X : not work

I dont like the solution of replacing the IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one from 10.4.6 because it messes up my atheros 5005gs detected as airport with the IO80211Family.kext. After installing the 10.4.6 IONetworkingFamily.kext airport stopped working. In addition, the card still was not detected. There really should be a different solution to this problem, maybe a port of the BCM440 linux driver itself.

Hi There,

I am using BCM 440X in my Dell700M too.

Use the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext form 10.4.3 you will be ok. :D

I tried this but it didn't work. On boot up there is a kernel message saying that there was a link load error when trying to load BCM440XEthernet.kext because Family specific matching failed. It did the same thing for me with the original IONetworkingFamily.kext. I am using Jas 10.4.8. I made sure to use the chmod and chown commands plus rm /System/Library/*.mkext and /System/Library/*.kextcache and then I kextcache /System/Library/Extensions before rebooting. By the way if I run kextload -t BCM440XEthernet.kext from 10.4.3 it will load fine but with the 10.4.8 version it tells me

kernel extension AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext has problems:

Validation failures:

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

So what can I do to fix this problem?

I tried this but it didn't work. On boot up there is a kernel message saying that there was a link load error when trying to load BCM440XEthernet.kext because Family specific matching failed. It did the same thing for me with the original IONetworkingFamily.kext. I am using Jas 10.4.8. I made sure to use the chmod and chown commands plus rm /System/Library/*.mkext and /System/Library/*.kextcache and then I kextcache /System/Library/Extensions before rebooting. By the way if I run kextload -t BCM440XEthernet.kext from 10.4.3 it will load fine but with the 10.4.8 version it tells me

kernel extension AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext has problems:

Validation failures:

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

So what can I do to fix this problem?

Here is the errors reported by the kernel that I copied from dmesg

com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet isn't a valid mach-o

error mapping module file com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet

can't map com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet in preparation for loading

Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleBCM440XEthernet"

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Not working for me. I downloaded the attached kext and replaced mine with it, and changed en0 to en1 in networkinterfaces.plist. However, every time I restart, it mysteriously changes itself back to en0. I've tried repairing permissions with chown and chmod after changing it, and also deliberately not repairing permissions after changing it, but it always reverts to en0 when I look at Network in System Profiler. Halp.

I am running 10.4.8, if that helps.

• 1 month later...
Here is the errors reported by the kernel that I copied from dmesg

com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet isn't a valid mach-o

error mapping module file com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet

can't map com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet in preparation for loading

Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleBCM440XEthernet"

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem.

I had this problem too after installing Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3, simply replace IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one provided on my website and then it works great, goto http://www.macdotnub.info, click the downloads link, then follow instructions provided on the page.

This was taken from my 10.4.8 backup.

I had this problem too after installing Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3, simply replace IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one provided on my website and then it works great, goto http://www.macdotnub.info, click the downloads link, then follow instructions provided on the page.

This was taken from my 10.4.8 backup.

Thanks for this quick response, mac.nub. Your suggestion did indeed solve my problem, but it is still not working completely. Both of my network cards, the bcm440x, and a Dell TrueMobile 1450 (bcm34xx), are detected properly. I can see both of them using the Network Utility. However, when I try to open Network Preferences, it crashes upon loading. It gives me the option to report or reopen, choosing reopen just results in another crash. Has anyone ever encountered this before? Or has any suggestions of how to fix it? TIA.

Thanks for this quick response, mac.nub. Your suggestion did indeed solve my problem, but it is still not working completely. Both of my network cards, the bcm440x, and a Dell TrueMobile 1450 (bcm34xx), are detected properly. I can see both of them using the Network Utility. However, when I try to open Network Preferences, it crashes upon loading. It gives me the option to report or reopen, choosing reopen just results in another crash. Has anyone ever encountered this before? Or has any suggestions of how to fix it? TIA.

Can't say I've ever experienced that... it would probably be worth while re-installing Mac, it sounds like something is corrupted.

~mac.nub

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, in all new to this.. i got JaS Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 with Semthex 8.8.1 kernel...can someone help me? How do i do the kextload of that? when i try kextload IONetworkingFamily.kext it says: IONetworkingFamily.kext is not authenic (check ownership and permissions)

When i try kextload with the option -t (i dont even know for what that option stands, i just saw it on a post) it says:

kernel extension IONetworkingFamily.kext has problems:
Authentication failures:
{
  "File owner/permissions are incorrect" = (
	  "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist"
	  "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents"
	  "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONetworkingFamily"
	  "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS"
  )
}

I really need to get it working soon! I got an Acer Aspire 5633Wlmi with a 440x Broadcom Ethernet adapter.

Thank you

Hi, in all new to this.. i got JaS Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 with Semthex 8.8.1 kernel...can someone help me? How do i do the kextload of that? when i try kextload IONetworkingFamily.kext it says: IONetworkingFamily.kext is not authenic (check ownership and permissions)

When i try kextload with the option -t (i dont even know for what that option stands, i just saw it on a post) it says:

kernel extension IONetworkingFamily.kext has problems:
Authentication failures:
{
   "File owner/permissions are incorrect" = (
	   "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist"
	   "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents"
	   "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONetworkingFamily"
	   "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS"
   )
}

I really need to get it working soon! I got an Acer Aspire 5633Wlmi with a 440x Broadcom Ethernet adapter.

Thank you

PLEASE help!!

Hi,I've an Acer 4230 with broadcom 440, and I tryed ionetworking files (differente versions) and still not working.With Jas 10.4.8 and updated to 10.4.9, Built in network apears in Network Preferences and shows link but actually none packets get through (not ping, not http, not smb, nothing)

Weird, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Nitramusa, fortunatelly we can not desperate here, yelling for help will not get us anywere, Regards.

Same problem here in Broadcom 440x... After replacing the IONetWorkingFamily.kext and rebooting (also tried to shut down) i can see in the Network Status that my wired connection is on and working but no packages are sent or received, in other words, no Internet. I dont think the problem is in router configuration as i already tried all the possible configurations with ip address, subnet mask and gateway.

Please what can the problem be?

Im using Acer Aspire 5634WLMI with uphuck 1.3 10.4.9

EDIT: btw in ifconfig the new connection detected is en2, is it normal?

ok, at the wiki main page, it makes it look so easy to fix this damn thing, but i'm pretty stuck. I have overwritten the kext files with the one dell700m provided and so i managed to make OSX find the card. But i get a message that the link is inactive. I tried different settings, static address and DHCP but nothing worked. I even tried

editing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file but that didn't helped either [although it did change the BSD Device Name from en0 to en1, but i guess that was gonna happen with the change anyay].

I used the Network Utility and i got these:

IP Addresse(es) 144.3.8.0

Link Speed 0 Mb

Link Status Inactive

Vendor Broadcom

Model 4401

No idea why the Link Status is "inactive". Actually one idea. My IP should be 192.168.1.64. how the hell do i change this? i have setted up the IPv4 to: Configuration Method: DHCP

So any ideas? anyone?

my configuration:

HP Compaq NX7400

Intel ® Core2 T5500@ 1.66Ghz

1,5GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...

If you go windows -> system ->hardware->driver->BCM-NIC->setting->wakeup.

You have to set this to magic packet only. If it is set to both you get the bef0 error and the nic will not conect.

After that the NIC is working fine.

re-book

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it. Dell 1505 with Broadcom Ethernet, working perfectly. DHCP enabled, copying 8GB worth of files to my desktop right now!

In one day, I've got my ATI x1400 to work with CI/QE (Final Cut Pro & Front Row load just fine), AND now I've got Ethernet networking.

Absolutely AWESOME.

• 3 months later...
If you go windows -> system ->hardware->driver->BCM-NIC->setting->wakeup.You have to set this to magic packet only. If it is set to both you get the bef0 error and the nic will not conect.After that the NIC is working fine.re-book
You got me lost here! Where do you "go windows -> system -> hardware -> driver ............" That's a new one to me, and I would like to fix my BMC4401 as well.
Haha, i got it working, and now i feel kind of stupid. it was showing up, but not initing.1 problem down. 2 to go.
Why not share HOW you got it to initialize?

For those of you having trouble installing the driver, heres a Leopard installer package for it.

This happens to be part of a much bigger project i'm working on, however the side effect is I have packages for a lot of drivers.

Thanks a bunch. I for one am still on Tiger and cannot open the PKG file.