How can i get my Broadcom 440x ethernet Working~!!

YOUNGZi

86 posts in this topic

dell inspiron 8500 with broadcom 440x

the Broadcom BCM4400 Ethernet doesn't work at all

plugs in 10Mb hub shows connected,but disabled when plugs in 100Mb Router or Hub

anyone who solve this problem please tell me OK!!!

ps:

i am a chinese student in china,poor in english

i can't express myself clearly but

Please Please Please help me!!!

thx in advance!

correct my writing, tell me the mistake, i 'll learn english well ,thk u!

I Have a dell inspiron 1100 with a broadcom network card and while it requires some playing to get it working it does work.

Try manually entering an IP into the network settings inside System Prefs.

thx for your reply!

did it!

i entered the IP(192.168.1.113),Router(192.168.1.1) & net mask (255.255.255.0),however,it doesn't work!

i connect my inspiron 8500 with 10Mb hub it shows connected but the led of the hub doesn't light!

but it works well in the windows 2003 & vista!

FT!!!!

Hello,

I´ve also a problem with the Broadcom Build in ethernet. Driver loads as far as I can see but it doesnt work!

In Windows I checked which broadcom "chip" is used im my Laptop it´s something like 14e4 and c170. I browsed the OSX driver and found this string in the Broadcom 440x plist, so it should work. But in this case it doesnt!

Maybe the people who get the broadcom 440x to work have one of the other "chipsets" which are in the driver?!

Has sombody tried to use the Driver from Darwin CD or building it from the source which you can get at Apple´s Darwin site?

Thanks in advance

shila

• 6 months later...

My Inspiron 5150 also has a problem with the Broadcom 440x (bcm4400.ktext) in OSX x86 10.4.4.

I have been told by everyone that it should work right out of the box with OSX x86 but I believe they (everyone else) has been using OSX x86 10.4.1 or 10.4.3.

If some one has the OSX 10.4.3 or 10.4.1 release could you copy the BCM4400.ktext file and email it to me so i can see if it works@ amlucent23@yahoo.com? Or just reply to the post to tell me were I can find it on the net. PLEASE ..... I am also open to any other suggestions for a fix.

-Thanks in advance

ok I have tried that now and it doesnt give an option for ethernet (eth0). the only entry in the plist is firewire (fw0). I dont even have firewire on my notebook. strange. I see that the BCM4400 ktext cannot load when booting up in darwin. Does any body have the ktext from the previous release (10.4.3 or 10.4.1) and could send it to me????

Hey Dell700m What speeds do u get on ur BCM440X in OSX while transferring. I get good speeds when uploading to my laptop, but when taking files of my laptop 1 mb takes a minute

yes it works... what I had to do was copy my existing ionetworking.ktext to my fat32 data drive, then get the new ktext file linked above open it up in windows (opens just like a folder with XP) go into a subfolder called plugins and copy the appleBCM4400.ktext and paste it in the same place in the ionetworking.ktext that was originally installed with 10.4.4. then reboot... and youi have internet! thanks for all you guys help. Now I need to work on my Gforce fx go 5200 video card.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
yes it works... what I had to do was copy my existing ionetworking.ktext to my fat32 data drive, then get the new ktext file linked above open it up in windows (opens just like a folder with XP) go into a subfolder called plugins and copy the appleBCM4400.ktext and paste it in the same place in the ionetworking.ktext that was originally installed with 10.4.4. then reboot... and youi have internet!

Super - this together with the en0 to en1 change led to success.

THX

• 5 months later...

The first time I installed OS X 10.4.7 JaS my Broadcom 440 worked out of the box. After a reinstall it doesn't anymore! I tried the above mentionen solutions but they don't work... Any other tricks or work arounds?

Ok figured it out: Well sort of: I have to unplug the ac from my notebook for a few secs. Then I get the card to work!

Edited by ufulu

• 3 months later...

I am having alot of trouble getting ethernet working for Broadcom 440x. I tried indstalling the new kext and then chmod 755 and chown root:wheel. when i do the kextload it tells me it is already loaded.

In my netowork satus it says "Built in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address ###.###.###.###. You are connected to the Internet via Built-in Ethernet."

Not really sure what else to do.

Hi, I am sorry, but I am really UNIX stupid, with chmod and chown, I know those are UNIX commands, but where do I do them? Do I open up terminal and then go to the system\library\extensions directory (through terminal) and just run the two commands there. I know CHMOD had to do with file permisions and I know CHOWN is about ownership of files, but not much past that. If you could do a step by step on what exactly I type, I would be thankful. I know things like CD and such, but I am not as good with UNIX as much as I wish I were. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 if anyone else has that and had to do something special, i am extremely interested, also, is there a website to get wireless to work?

Thank you so much for your help, it is great to know there are services like this! I just can't wait until my dell craps out so I have a reason to upgrade to a macbook.

Shawn

I totally forgot to mention, I have the 10.8 intel.amd JAS install, I tried to put on the file that you guys have been talking about, and it replaced one that was already on there, I can't even get it to recognize that I have an ethernet card, and now it is giving me an error that the library file I replaced is incorrect.

Please help,

Shawn

• 2 months later...
Hi There,

I am using BCM 440X in my Dell700M too.

Use the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext form 10.4.3 you will be ok. ;)

I have tried but still not work. Mine is . Acer 2400,Broadcom 440X 10/100 . c-m 1.5G,1.25G DDRII, 60G ATA,Intel 2200wireless card,