Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

Well i got it working now thanks to linux.

Procedure:

1. Download Ubuntu and put it on a usb stick.

2. Boot from it in live mode.

3. Backup the firmware on the bt dongle:

4. Upgrade the firmware:

Just reboot and boot into ubuntu again to pair your keyboard or mouse there. After i rebooted i noticed the keyboard was not working in bios so i tried to boot into windows and installed hid2hci tray.

It did show bluetooth is working but i could not tick ''Allow bluetooth devices to find this computer'' cause it claimed i dont have the bt dongle connected so i could not make the apple keyboard to show up and pair.

Thats why i went into ubuntu again to see if it would work there and after i paired there windows would allow me to tick ''Allow bluetooth devices to find this computer'' and then also found apple keyboard and it worked in bios too.

I upload the new firmware: GenericCSR.zip, and my backed up firmware. DBT120.zip.

THANK YOU. I will give this a go, I have the DBT120 but don't have Mac OS X preceding Snow Leopard, so I can't upgrade the dongle!

I will update as soon as it is successful (or a failure!).

Maxos, IT WORKS!

So I followed your directions, upgraded the firmware, and paired it in ubuntu first, now bluetooth works in CMOS, BIOS, I can actually select my OS at bootlevel without having to plug in the USB keyboard.

D-Link DBT-120 -- heres what I have going -- CMOS/BIOS keyboard control, windows bluetooth (keyboard and mouse) control, mac (keyboard and mouse control), all without having to reconfigure the mouse, keyboard everytime.

The only thing that is still not working is the 'Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer', if anyone has a clue, please fill me in.

I thought I'll list all the steps I followed (thank you to the original authors) to make it easier for others --

Step 1. Upgrade the DBT-120 firmware -- if your Mac OSX is current, you're SOL because you require tiger or some 10.5 varient to get the Bluetooth Firmware update 1.2 from Apple working. You'll have to use Ubuntu to upgrade the firmware -- directions from Maxos:

Procedure:

1. Download Ubuntu and put it on a usb stick.

2. Boot from it in live mode.

3. Backup the firmware on the bt dongle:

Open a terminal and type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 archive backup.dfu (this will save the file in your home directory), then it will say something like:

CODE

Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2

Press 1.

4. Upgrade the firmware:

In terminal type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade

Press space and drag the .dfu file to terminal

It will be something like this:

sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade '/home/ubuntu/Desktop/GenericCSR.dfu'

Press Enter.

When it shows

CODE

Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2

Choose 1.

It will show something like this:

Filename GenericCSR.dfu

Filesize 994866

Checksum 65085dde (valid)

It should show a message when it is done upgrading the firmware.

I upload the new firmware: GenericCSR.zip, and my backed up firmware. DBT120.zip.

DBT120: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=89079

GenericCSR: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=89080

---

Step 2 You'll need to reboot into Ubuntu again, setup the bluetooth and link your keyboard (and mouse).

Step 3. Reboot, and your keyboard should now be functioning under BIOS. Boot into Windows. You'll need to get the HID2HCI stack to get it to work under Windows. Download and install BTINSTALL: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...ost&id=1885 and it will automate the process for you, setting up files and startup options. Alternatively view the thread at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12293 and follow the directions. Reboot into Windows again, and pair your keyboard, mouse.

Step 4. Reboot into Mac OSX and pair your keyboard, mouse. If you have an apple mouse & keyboard you might have to turn them off and on again before it will work. Remember, always pair Windows first before Mac OSX, so you don't have to keep on repairing after each reboot.

Now only if wake on bluetooth keyboard/mouse would work :D

Here is (attached) a PDF outlining how to install an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC (hackintosh).

The DC-DC converter I bought on ebay works perfectly.

I hope someone can get some use out of my experience and success of installing an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC.

Everything related to Bluetooth works as it's supposed to. Works just as good as my 2009 iMac with Magic Mouse and small Bluetooth keyboard.

Enjoy.

How_To_Add_an_Apple_Bluetooth_module_to_your_PC.pdf

Thanks for your guide Swhay!

Everything is working perfectly.

I can wake my system with the Magic Trackpad and with the Magic Mouse.

Thanks a lot and best regards

MasterLen

Thanks for guide Swhay!

Everything is working perfectly.

I can wake my system with the Magic Trackpad and with the magic mouse.

Thanks a lot and best regards

MasterLen

You're welcome. I am just happy I could give something back to the OSX86 community.

Guys, you can also use 2x1N4001 diodes in series with the 5V UBS power to get the voltage down to ~3.6V or so. Working for me (see sig)

I picked up IN4005 diodes by accident. I noticed on the back they have a forward voltage drop of 1.6v (I assume thats for each) which would put it at 3.4v using 1 diode instead of 3.6v using 2 diodes. Would using just one of these diodes be sufficient?

Hi Swhay,

do you have a solution for the apple bluetooth module to work with Windows 7?

Thanks

No, I'm sorry, I don't. I only run Windows in VMWare Fusion.

The only suggestion I have is maybe the Boot Camp drivers might help, not sure if they can be extracted without using Boot Camp, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck.

Swhay

• 2 weeks later...
Here is (attached) a PDF outlining how to install an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC (hackintosh).

The DC-DC converter I bought on ebay works perfectly.

I hope someone can get some use out of my experience and success of installing an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC.

Everything related to Bluetooth works as it's supposed to. Works just as good as my 2009 iMac with Magic Mouse and small Bluetooth keyboard.

Enjoy.

How_To_Add_an_Apple_Bluetooth_module_to_your_PC.pdf

WORKS PERFECTLY !!! And the range is amazing !!!! The cursor got too small for me to see before the range cut out !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the MacBook bluetooth module trick and it works great, my Wireless Keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse works flawlessly and I can wake from sleep with no delay. Also works fine in Windows with no need to repair them once you paid them in Windows.

On a downer it can't control the BIOS or bootloader :-(

Hello, guys and thanx for this thread.

I just bought DBT-122 (the "original" DBT-120 not to be found elsewhere now ?),

which generally works under Winabooze 7 x64, any Linux and SL 10.6.7.

As you might have guessed, only troubles are :

- you have to re-pair the device/remove and re-add it everytime

after leaving an OS and swith to another (e.g. from Linux to Mac and vice-versa)

- wake from sleep is impossible - I have both Apple Aluminium KB (Wired) and Magic mouse,

but wake up only works through the power on-button of my case.

Has anyone already tried this dongle / had any success about the issues above ? :unsure:

Hello, guys and thanx for this thread.

I just bought DBT-122 (the "original" DBT-120 not to be found elsewhere now ?),

which generally works under Winabooze 7 x64, any Linux and SL 10.6.7.

As you might have guessed, only troubles are :

- you have to re-pair the device/remove and re-add it everytime

after leaving an OS and swith to another (e.g. from Linux to Mac and vice-versa)

- wake from sleep is impossible - I have both Apple Aluminium KB (Wired) and Magic mouse,

but wake up only works through the power on-button of my case.

Has anyone already tried this dongle / had any success about the issues above ? ;)

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. You might want to try this.....Apple Bluetooth Module

The solution above will work perfectly. It's what I did after struggling with three different bluetooth dongles.

Hi Swhay, thanks for the guide! I have a PowerMac G5 case for my hackintosh and was wondering if I would have the same problem you did with your Mac Pro case? I don't really understand what you did to get it to work..do you think you can take some pictures or make a diagram?

Thanks!!

Hi Swhay, thanks for the guide! I have a PowerMac G5 case for my hackintosh and was wondering if I would have the same problem you did with your Mac Pro case? I don't really understand what you did to get it to work..do you think you can take some pictures or make a diagram?

Thanks!!

In the bottom of the Mac Pro case (2009 and later), there is a built in antenna for Airport with three wires coming from it. There is also a wire coming from the back of the case along the back of the 4 open expansion card slots, that cable is labeled BT for Bluetooth. It's a known issue with the Mac Pro case and Bluetooth not working right, the solution is to use one of the AirPort antenna wires for Bluetooth. That's what the note at the end of my tutorial is saying. See picture below.

post-277252-1306887617_thumb.jpg

In your case since you have a G5 Powermac case, there is no Airport antenna built into the bottom of the case.

I did a search and found this site, which might help you. Basically you need an external Bluetooth antenna for your case, I think the thickness of the aluminum cases interfere with the Bluetooth signal.

Adding Bluetooh to the Apple PowerMac G5

here is another example of how to fix it, this may work good for you since you don't have the Airport antenna anyway in a G5 case. It shows how to use an external wireless card antenna.

Mac Pro 2009 Bluetooth Fix

here is another example of how to fix it, this may work good for you since you don't have the Airport antenna anyway in a G5 case. It shows how to use an external wireless card antenna.

Mac Pro 2009 Bluetooth Fix

Thanks, I understand what you did now! I'll try using the wifi card antenna method, as I already have one left over and a cable from making a homemade Airport card ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

after install my Trust dongle and add vendor/product id to kext. Every thing seems to work well. But after resume from sleep my magic trackpad start to make erratic movements, for other words, become impossible to use. This take about 15sec and after that trackpad become normal again, and every thing works perfect until i do another sleep.

So what i learn, after resume from sleep if i wait about 5s without touch the trackpad, 90% of times it wakeup perfect. If i touch on trackpad as soon my mac wakeup, 100% of the time it start doing the crazy thing.

My question is, any one got this symptom with magic trackpad? or this is a rare thing of my hack?

thanks

Update: After tested in a real mac, the TP did the same thing. So i return it, and the new one works perfect. Hope this can help some1 with same problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Swhay,

did you try you "Apple Bluetooth Module" hack with Lion GM?

I have a little problem with wake from sleep in Lion.

I can wake my machine with the trackpad but it goes immediately back to sleep.

The display stays in sleep.

The display only wakes from sleep if I click the trackpad two times!

Is there anyone with the same issue?

its seems a little strange here too.

If i press trackpad once it wakeup pc, then i need to move the cursor to upper corner (i use hot corners) to wake display.

If i only press trackpad, my display never wake and after short time go back to sleep

strange

maybe its a lion thing :P

Update: if i wake with my logitech mouse, its all normal, pc and display wake at same time.

Note: i m using home made BT with original BT module form Macbook pro (no dongle)

Hi Swhay,

I'm still on 10.6.8 not sure If I am going with Lion on my "Mac Pro' or not. It runs so good with 10.6.8, I might not bother with Lion...

its seems a little strange here too.

If i press trackpad once it wakeup pc, then i need to move the cursor to upper corner (i use hot corners) to wake display.

If i only press trackpad, my display never wake and after short time go back to sleep

strange

maybe its a lion thing ;)

Update: if i wake with my logitech mouse, its all normal, pc and display wake at same time.

Note: i m using home made BT with original BT module form Macbook pro (no dongle)

It's the same issue here!

Hi Swhay,

Same deal, my fans spin up loud and then it goes back to sleep with one click, but two clicks and it wakes right up... Using an apple bluetooth module to usb cable as well. Posted about this in Lion Post Install forum a few weeks ago, but got no responses.. in the greater scheme of things I guess it doesn't matter much heh.

I love the mouse, and I really want to buy it. Now I use a mighty mouse (wired) because I didn't have bluetooth. Now I found a compatible bluetooth dongle (according to the OSX86 wiki, it's plug and play) and I was wondering if the Magic mouse will work with a external bluetooth dongle on OSX86? If that is the case, I will buy it :).

It probably will, but wake from sleep may not work. You would be better off using my guide to install an Apple Bluetooth module from a Macbook or iMac.

Install Apple Bluetooth module in a PC