M-Audio AudioPhile 2496, pci soundcard

johnnylemar

46 posts in this topic

Hi to all, Just wanted to see if anyone has the M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 2496 pci soundcard, working.

If so can you give some tips on how you got it working.

Thanks.

Hi there. You're not the only one with this problem!! I have tried with the exact same card, but to no avail..

Although you can "install" the card driver which is accompanied by the mixer utility, and you can indeed see the relevant icons in your preferences settings, that's as far as you go!

The drivers support the "true" macs, and, since Apple hasn't as of yet released a pci version Intel Mac, you have no big hope. :hysterical: One thing that someone with hardware programming skils can do, is try to "adopt" the PPC version drivers to the Intel version. I don't know if anyone could try re-building the drivers by using source from that one..

Nevertheless, M-Audio seems to support every other models except PCI with success. The solution would be for Apple to announce a new PCI Intel Mac, so hardware developers can show interest.

Patience my friend, patience..

Hi there. You're not the only one with this problem!! I have tried with the exact same card, but to no avail..

Although you can "install" the card driver which is accompanied by the mixer utility, and you can indeed see the relevant icons in your preferences settings, that's as far as you go!

The drivers support the "true" macs, and, since Apple hasn't as of yet released a pci version Intel Mac, you have no big hope. :hysterical: One thing that someone with hardware programming skils can do, is try to "adopt" the PPC version drivers to the Intel version. I don't know if anyone could try re-building the drivers by using source from that one..

Nevertheless, M-Audio seems to support every other models except PCI with success. The solution would be for Apple to announce a new PCI Intel Mac, so hardware developers can show interest.

Patience my friend, patience..

Thanks for the reply, seems like we will just have to sit this one out.

You're right for the chance to get a osx86 pci driver....

So i just sell my pci soundcard : STaudio DSP24 (CPORT) witch have the same chipset as the Maudio pci, and will buy a firewire EDIROL FA-66, i think it's more efficient than the M-audio firewire product line, for same price, and at least it doesn't need a tipical osx86 driver because it uses the native coreaudio /firewire audio driver from osx86 10.4.

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

I also own an Maudio 2496 PCI card and just tried to install it on 10.4.8 without luck. I'm so saddened by this.

Maudio isn't looking so good in my eyes anymore after finding that the driver support is second rate. I hope they read this and rethink their investment in their driver lineup.

Since there are a few of us here, what have you all decided on as a replacement audio device? I'm also thinking of getting something firewire based (but not Maudio!). But don't wish to spend a ton on it.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah thats sucks, I've personally have an m-audio delta 44 (envy24), useless hardware in Osx86... I consider buying an edirol FA-66 but all this for a driver...come on...bad bad bad for m-audio. I think it shouldn't cost them a lot to release an intel version. I Keep looking for solutions :D

If you are looking to replace your present PCI card setup, you should take a look at Tascam FW-1084 Firewire Audio/Midi interface. Has 18in/12out interface and has native UB drivers for OSX. It has been around for awhile so has proven to be very stable. Great reviews. Tascam always supports both Intel/PPC Macs. You can get it from Tom Lee Music Canada for $449 (reg. $970). They ship to USA also.

Zazman, I also have a STaudio Cport on my other computer. It has been a great card but is a little outdated. I still use it as a mixing source for my Tascam US-122L USB card. Good luck getting someone to buy it ;) .

Hi All,

I also own an Maudio 2496 PCI card and just tried to install it on 10.4.8 without luck. I'm so saddened by this.

Maudio isn't looking so good in my eyes anymore after finding that the driver support is second rate. I hope they read this and rethink their investment in their driver lineup.

Since there are a few of us here, what have you all decided on as a replacement audio device? I'm also thinking of getting something firewire based (but not Maudio!). But don't wish to spend a ton on it.

Hey, we can't blame M-Audio for the driver problem. I have nothing in common with them, and as you might have seen in the past, i have the same card, which is now on my G3..

What i'm trying to say is that although i'd love to see a driver built for "Hackintosh" we can't blame them since officially there's no PCI Intel Mac yet! So, to who's response would they build one? Would you contact the company and say: hey! i've a home-built Mac and i need the drivers? - I guess not. So think about it..

M-audio doesn't seems to care about their drivers anymore, just look at their USB-MIDI interfaces still don't have x64 drivers, meanwhile all yamaha USB-MIDI have already x64 and vista drivers but M-audio doesn't seems to have any Vista drivers either so is not just OSX :(

M-audio doesn't seems to care about their drivers anymore, just look at their USB-MIDI interfaces still don't have x64 drivers, meanwhile all yamaha USB-MIDI have already x64 and vista drivers but M-audio doesn't seems to have any Vista drivers either so is not just OSX :thumbsup_anim:

I don't know if this is good news to anyone here, but i believe that it's a good sign.

Check this URL : http://www.rme-audio.com/english/download/drivers.htm

There's an updated driver for a PCI card (Hammerfall) and the link says:

"Mac OS X Intel (10.4.8 or up) driver for Hammerfall DSP System. Supports PCI card, CardBus, Digiface, Multiface, RPM, HDSP 9652, HDSP 9632. Version 1.6c, 03/07/2007. See readme.txt for important notes! "

It's the first time i see a company officially supporting Intel Mac PCI components..

I don't know if this is good news to anyone here, but i believe that it's a good sign.

Check this URL : http://www.rme-audio.com/english/download/drivers.htm

There's an updated driver for a PCI card (Hammerfall) and the link says:

"Mac OS X Intel (10.4.8 or up) driver for Hammerfall DSP System. Supports PCI card, CardBus, Digiface, Multiface, RPM, HDSP 9652, HDSP 9632. Version 1.6c, 03/07/2007. See readme.txt for important notes! "

It's the first time i see a company officially supporting Intel Mac PCI components..

I've seen those drivers and until now I haven't heard any guy that said it worked well, all the comments I've heard are that are not working but at least they seem to care about us.

Those Hamerfall cards are quite expensive so I'll wait for yamaha or somebody else with a sub $200 pro sound card :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Salax, that´s why i sold my M-Audio and bought Fireface 800 :hysterical:

There´s nothing like RME. The latest thing they made is a PCIe 9632 audio card which really rocks. Only there is no support for DigiCheck on Mac OS X as it´s an ASIO multiclient monitoring software.

M-audio have good hardware, but support sucks.

:) There´s no sub 200$ professional card. Something like this is impossible. Knowledge has it´s price. Maybe ESI Egosys waveterminal serie, like 192L - they have one of the best AD/DA converter chip on market and are solid price. Good ASIO drivers. For Mac? Don´t know.

• 1 month later...

I hope one day M-Audio will post the sourcecode of their driver.... Ill first try target 10.4u platform ....

And yes M-Audio support SUCK DONKEY BALLS!!! I mailed them and just got a cheasy reply, I answered and asked for sources and no reply as of yet (2-3 months).

What are all these companies hiding? How they implement audio chipsets? I think its all bullcrap ten top!

• 7 months later...

Yep, tis a bugger when fairly new kit has support/drivers ceased, I suspect it's all about greenbacks, which I think they forfeit in the amount of people who will never buy from that company again.

I had the same deal with the Korg Oasys PCI card a long while back, okay it's 10 years old but after 3 years on the market they decided they would never release XP or OSX drivers, gutting, I've never found a solution but to keep an old machine to run it linked up to my main rig.. real shame as it still kicks the arse out of synth technology today (except for the newer keyboard workstation version obviously). never understood fully why they abandoned it.

2 companies that do understand longevity are RME, MOTU

RME, MOTU and ProTools but now its a shame that there's no cheap PCIe cards yet, you can only find expensive ones, even RME has delayed theirs, I hope this year at NAMM companies introduce finally PCIe sound cards.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i tried to install the terratec phase 22 pci soundcard; they also have a mac os x driver:

http://www.terratec.com.tw/eng/support/driver/index.htm

but it didnt work - when i looked up vendor id 0x1412 device id 0x1724 - its actually from VIA:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=354

anyway i guess i will also sell this one... can someone recommand a good working firewire solution... anyone got the lexicon omega studio working for example?

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm really new on this site.. I'm try to see how Leopard works just because I heard anywhere that is the best OS to play and create music.. ! Currently I use WinXP and cubase... and it's ok but all my friends use Mac. So I've an outdated PC... but it's enough to play music.:

ASUS P4P800

ATI 9600 PRO

1 Gb RAM

PENTIUM 4 2,6 GHz

AUDIOPHILE 2496

Roland RD 300 GX, Evolution MIDI MK-361C, Cubase, Pianoteq 2.2...

I tried many DVD from torrents.. finally I solved the rebooting problem, just after the darwin scrolling lines..., by using the Toh Leopard 2Rc distro... it works ... but:

3Com onboard ethernet card doesn't work and much important think... my audiophile is not recognized.

Then, since I don't want to change the PC just for the audioboard and moreover before trying how a Mac run, please send me an email if you have any ideas or solution.... I'll be waiting and searching meanwhile...

Thanks in advance and Ciao.

• 2 weeks later...

All, I've just bought a new iMac 24''....

After 10 minutes... I've plugged in my evolution midi keyboard and that's it !!! I'm playing in garageband .... after 1 Gb of updates downloaded in 13 minutes... (this pc is really fast also in internet..).. without any latency and beautifull sounds...

I'd say you all.... please save your time and go into the new fantastic world of Mac !!!

Thanks... APPLE .... Thanks...for your reallly good job !!!

Ciao.

If you have money, you can buy new pc hardware and install osx in a breeze.

If you don't, stick with P4 + Cubase SX. It's not that bad after all...

Cubase+Acid (in Rewire Mode) + SoundForge rocks in the Windows platform.

I agree,... it's not a bad choice but to play with a Mac it's really another staff.

Consider that without anythink plugged on my Mac but just my midi usb keyboard, I can do everithink without any latency and with beautifull sounds...

Just plug you keyboard and play soon..!

Beautifull world ;) ..!

Ciao.