[How To] Easy Triple Boot (Start Over)

5 posts in this topic

Something to think about before you start

Make sure you know how much hard drive space you have, and how big you want each partition to be. Work it all out before you start. I reccommend something similar to this:

1 Partition for Windows | 2 Partitions for OS X | 2 Partitions for Linux, one ext3, one swap | 1 FAT32 partition for sharing files across your operating systems | 1 Partition for your OSX user folder (depending on how much you use it... OSX that is.)

What you'll need

A blank hard drive (or one that is ready for wiping)

Windows XP Install CD (Pro, SP2 recommended)

Mac OS X x86 Install DVD (Availble from many BT sites)

x86 Linux Distro (I used CentOS)

About three hours

Just a little bit of sub-technical knowledge

A note about Primary and Extended partitions

I'm not sure why (something to do with dos?), but you can only have four partitions on a drive. The first three of these are called "Primary partitions". The fourth one, can be split up into any number of partitions these are called "Extended partitions". Mac OS X can only be installed on a Primary partition (one of the first three).

Step One: Install Windows onto a blank hard drive

Install windows using a standard WinXP installation CD. When it gets to the partition manager, erase the entire disk and create a partition for windows. I made mine 12 GB. Run through the windows installation process.

When done, boot into windows and remove the install cd.

-------------------------------------------

Step Two: Partition for OSx86 Using diskpart

I have used (windows) diskpart many times to partition for OSx86, and it works. Plain and simple. Go to the start menu and click on "Run", type in "cmd". Once the windows command prompt has loaded up, type in "diskpart".

Now you are in diskpart. It is fairly basic to use. Type "Select Disk 1" to select you first hard drive. The following command will need to be used to create a primary hfs partition for OSx86:

create partition primary size=24000 id=af

This will create a primary partition with the size 24GB (approx) and the id, af, which is hfs. Choose your size and create your OSx partition. I created two partitions for OS X. The first is my main boot, the second is a test boot, that I can use to test anything they may render my main boot partition unbootable. My first OS X partition is 80GB (so I can install all those massive logic/final cut DVDs) my second is 10GB. A size of 30GB is pretty much perfect for OS X.

Type "list partition" to see if you have done good. Type "exit" to quit. NOTE: you can type "help" at any stage for a list of commands.

Step Three: Install OS X

Insert your mac os install DVD, I would recommend the JaS 10.4.5, as it seems to be used alot around here. The Myzar 10.4.5 seems to be pretty good too (there all good, really). Restart, and press a key to boot the installer.

Once loaded up, open Disk Utility (it's in the Utilities menu up top). In the left side bar, choose the partition you are installing on (it'll be the second one down). Click on the erase tab at the top, format the partition "Mac OS Extended (journaled)", click erase.

Run through the OS X install process, be sure to customize your installation and check/uncheck all the good and bad options.

Once installed, restart using you Linux distro CD/DVD

Step Four: Installing Linux

Boot into your linux distro's installer. Hopefully it uses "Anaconda" - as this will be the simplest.

You need to customize the partition process, using Disk Druid (do not let it autmatically parition the disk). Create a new partition for Linux (ext3, mount point /) and a new swap parition (2GB is more than enough swap). Move on.

When you are prompted for the GRUB bootloader options, add an extra item for your OS x partition(s), selected the correct disk and partition number.

Choose all the packages you want/need and move on.

Install!

Step Five: Configure GRUB

Boot into Linux and log in as root. Load up a terminal window and type in:

emacs /boot/grub/menu.lst

This file is responsible for your grub boot menu. Depending on your needs, add a "#" infront of lines to ignore them.

for example:

#timeout=10
#backgroundimg=blablablabla
#hidemenu

Make sure the line for booting OSx86 looks like this:

title "OSx86"
root (0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Note: Partitions and hard drives start at 0 in GRUB, e.g. Your first hard drive, and second partition is (0,1)

Save, and restart.

Now when you boot you will be greeted with your GRUB menu. make you selection and go!

Post process things to think about

Having your OS X home folder on a separate partition is about the best thing you can do for you operating system and future computer usage. Google has loads of info on this, so look into it!! Seperate partitions for OS X swap can also be used, but to little advantage.

This method has worked for me twice (that's all I've tried it), and much of the credit must be given to Ross Carlson and Joel Wampler as this guide is based upon their original 'multibooting" guide, that can be found on the wiki. Please to not hold me responsible if it doesn't work, or if it destroys your computer.

I will be more than happy to answer problems, and correct any issues that may be "questionable" within this guide!

• 9 months later...

Ok...I am in a different situation. I already have debian and osx. The problem is I am directly booting into OSX. I don't mind re-installing debian/knoppix again if that will help, but can you suggest how can I fix the boot issue with the existing situation.

The osx is on hda6, debian is on hda2. I actually have hda1 as boot partition which originally had FC6, but I didn't like it and installed debian. I am new to linux so I reallly didn't know what to do with the boot partition. When I installed OSX it directly booted into it. Any suggestions?

i3opard, very easy. All you need is a live linux cd and about 5 minutes.

First, boot into the live cd. I like ubunut but all you need is to use a terminal. Once the live cd is running, fire up a terminal and use these commands.

sudo -s

grub [this starts grub editor]

find /boot/grub/stage1 [this will tell you where your linux root is]

root (hdX,Y) [where X and Y are given from the above command In your case, tis should be (hd0,1)]

setup (hd0) [this places grub at boot]

quit [this exits grub]

Next, you need to configure the booting. Back in the terminal type:

nano -w /boot/grub/menu.lst

Next, at the bottom of the text, add in the following lines:

title "OSX86"

rootnoverify (hdX,Y) [where X and Y relate to your OSX partition so if on first disk, second drive (hd0,1) In your case, this should be (hd0,5)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

When complete,

Ctrl + O [to tell nano to write the changes to the file]

enter [to confirm the changes]

Ctrl + X [to exit nano]

And finally, make sure that in your linux folder /boot/grub you have the chain0 file. This you can find on your OSX installation disk in the folder i386. Just copy and paste. Reboot and you are golden

Hey

my problem is slightly different. I bought an iMac recently and being reasonably computer savvy installed boot camp and dual booted XP, fine and dandy. I'm now wanting to try a copy of Vista that my son has from his University MSDN subscription. Am i able to add a new partition and subsequently install vista so that the Darwin OS selector will pick up all three as a triple boot of do i have to do something different.

Thanks!

:D

Martin