• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

alsothings

alsothings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Since there hasn't been any new posts here recently, I decided to add the following:
OSX 10.6 works out of box using NetbookInstaller
OSX 10.6.3 update doesn't work!
WWAN working
WLAN still not working
Sounds works when using VoodooHDA 262 Experimental
nVidia ION LE graphics works, but seems a bit 'laggy'.

just to add that I successfully updated from 10.6 -> 10.6.2 w/o trouble with the NBI. So it appears the trouble is in the move to 10.6.3 ...

Tolukolvi

Tolukolvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

just to add that I successfully updated from 10.6 -> 10.6.2 w/o trouble with the NBI. So it appears the trouble is in the move to 10.6.3 ...

So I've noticed, since I've tried a couple of other methods (mainly conserning the kexts I've used) how to update to 10.6.3 but with no luck. So far only 10.6.2 seems to be fully working.
Are you able to disable the Bluetooth? Mine's greyed out and NBI Bluetooth 'fix' doesn't fix a thing. It's rather annoying it can't be disabled sinse when waking up from sleep always freezes the OS after it shows Bluetooth disconnected.

By the way, I noticed that you don't have working WiFi. Well, it's easy to fix, and rather cheap: go to eBay and buy Apple Broadcom 802.11n BCM94321MC MiniPCI-Express card. It's easy to change the original Realtek 8192E to an original Apple part although you need a few inches of cellartape to fix it securely in position. Works like a charm!
And just as a curiosity - the original Realtek WiFi is labeled as both 8192E and 8192SE - different 'version' on the top and the bottom of the card :P

wizpig

wizpig

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, great work!

But I got two questions:

1. Does qe/ci run?

2. Does the HDMI out work(maybe with audio?)?

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
may be http://www.mymacnetb...tibility-chart/ could be update ;-)

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 809 posts
Updated.

Keep it up guys! :)

Tetonne

Tetonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Updated.

Keep it up guys! :(

i have heard about this
http://xsolutions.fr...ucompatible.php

Tolukolvi

Tolukolvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Updated.

Keep it up guys! :)

Ok, so here's what I've got working at the moment with 10.6.4. However, I might still be some kexts that are not required. Please update.

Trackpad - working (requires kexts)
Sounds - working (using VoodooHDA 262 Experimental)
Sleep - working (requires SleepEnabler)
Power management - working (requires AppleACPIBatteryManager)
Graphics - working (with EFI string or NVEnabler)
QE/CI - seems to be working (Not showing in 'About This Mac').

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 809 posts
Have updated the OS X netbook compatibility chart :(

aceazzameen

aceazzameen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I hope you can help me out.

I tried to install MacOS from a Retail DVD and iDeneb v1.6 onto my n510
and both ended up the same way.
When I try to boot from my internal hdd the grey apple logo shows up for
one or two secons and then it starts to reboot.

I followed the instructions in this thread.
First started with a boot cd and installed OS to an external drive.
After these steps the OS works fine starting from the external hdd.

But executing the following steps are causing the bootproblem.

I installed chameleon,
added the *.aml and modbin kernel,
copied the BOOTn510 files into extra folder and
rebuilt the cache with the kernel utility.

Concluding I copied the External partition to my internal hdd with the disk utility.

As mentionded before, I'm now getting a failure when selecting the OS from my
internal hdd in Chameleon.
I attached the log just before it crashes and reboots.
This log only shows up for a split of a second.

Hope you can help me out, as I googled "Starting Darwin x86" but found nothing specific.

Thanks

Attached Files

rapha-35

rapha-35

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Hello,

i've got the Samsung N510, i've upgrade with 2Gb RAM :D

so i want to install Mac OS X on it.

I've an external hard-drive with 2 partition, on of 10Gb with the image of OS X Snow Leopard DVD and 150gb blank.

I use NetbookbootMaker, and all works perfectly ! I've install it on the External HDD, because i've Windows 7 on the internal, but in a next time, I wanna move it on the other partition.

I've now OS X 10.6.0 installed, without any modifications/kext/dsdt ...

EDIT : i've Download the "BOOT_n510" archive, but 1 file is missing ... "mach_kernel_modbin", anyone own this file please ?
I need it ...

And after that, I need to put my Installation on the Internal drive (recognized ;))

EDIT 2 : my Windows partition was "dead" so I reinstall SL and then Win7 with a DualBoot.

Any idea for mach_kernel_modbin ? What can I do ?

Thanks for help !

alsothings

alsothings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ok, so here's what I've got working at the moment with 10.6.4.

Back to the forum after much wondering (and the writing of a PhD thesis...)

Tolukolvi how did you get to 10.6.4? I ran the 10.6.4 combo updater and now I've encountered a kernel mismatch problem. I'm hopeful I can sort out a solution, but I was just wondering what your version path was did you get a 10.6.4 retail disc or was it an earlier install and an update? And which kernel are you using? modbin or the nbi mach kernel or something else?

xjoeyy

xjoeyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello Just managed to get 10.6.5 installed, worked ok, Lots of errors while booting but QE works, Trackpad works, Keyboard works, shutdown doe not work wifi does not work sound patched with voodoo ( Mic always on though can be disabled though voodoo pref)

The only main problem i have with using this as a semi-Primary OS is that the Graphics are laggy eg. youtube videos are unwatchable. Does anybody know how to fix this?

alsothings

alsothings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The only main problem i have with using this as a semi-Primary OS is that the Graphics are laggy eg. youtube videos are unwatchable. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Hey so I have the same graphics issue as well (I'm on 10.6.6 currently), I've been under the impression this is due to QE not being properly enabled (if you're running 10.6 and your menu bar isn't a bit transparent QE is off). I'm fairly convinced that the cause is the lack of correct graphic card identification (the ion in the n510 is equivalent to a 9400M), so I've spent a bit of time trying to modify DSDT files and such to get the OS to use the graphics card properly, yet to be successful, though if anyone has got >10.6.2 running with QE/CI completing working (that is, full hardware graphics support) I'd love to hear about it. And if/when I sort out mine I'll post an update

Good luck!

(sorted my wifi with a new NIC card, very easy install, see earlier in this thread)

xjoeyy

xjoeyy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so upon updating to 10.6.7 my grafix seem a little better. But ive been focusing on getting brightness to work. Do you know how to get it working. Ive tried kexts, dsdt mods etc... and no anvil.

Thanks

alsothings, you say in your sig, that you have reliable sleep? how was this achieved?

IceAce

IceAce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
[SOLVED - see post below]

My system reboots after chameleon after apple loading.
I've tried verbose mode but I can't see what happens. : |

However, after installation I've booted using chameleon on the installation usb, then I've loaded my system usb.
After the configuration I've:
1) installed chameleon 2 rc3 (that I found on the net as a package)
2) Copied Extra folder files in this guide inside /Extra
3) Kext Utility to repair Extensions!
4) changed boot file with the one in this guide.
5) added dsdt.aml on root
6) added mach_kernel_modbin file on root. (I've found this file on the net as "mach_kernel.test7" and I've renamed it as "mach_kernel_modbin". Is this right?)

7) Then I shutdown the system.

8) Here it crashes after selecting my Snow Leopard System from Chameleon.

If someone could give me an hand would be awesome, even if I understand this thread/project is not new.

Thank you however, guys for the patience

IceAce

IceAce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Hey Guys, I've solved following these steps:

SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.2 on N510

BIOS ver. 02MU or 03MU

samsung.png

WHAT YOU NEED:

- 1 Usb Stick (8 gb is good)

- 1 working Mac/Hackintosh (needed to initialize your installation usb)

- "Snow Leopard 10.6.0" dvd (if you haven't, you could also use dmg file)

- NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 Pre (makes your USB stick & HD bootable)

- ComboUpdate 10.6.2 (update to 10.6.2!)

- VoodooHDA 262 Experimental (this kext will fix audio)

- Kext Helper B7 (needed to install kexts)

- Kext Utility (needed to repair permissions after installing kexts)

######################################################################################

PREPARE YOUR USB:

1) Open "Disc Utility" in your working Mac.

2) Initialize your Usb Stick creating 1 partition osx journalised (MBR option selected)
3) Restore snow leopard dvd on your usb.

As source use Snow Leopard dvd. As destination your USB.

You could also use a .dmg of Snow Leopard 10.6 release as source.
4) Install "NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 Pre" on this stick.

######################################################################################

INSTALLATION:

Now:
1) Insert your stick on your N510 and boot.

2) Press F2 to enter n510's bios:

• Check if bios vers. is "02MU" or "03MU". If not, update!
  • Change Boot Priority, so it will boot first through Usb.
  • Save and Exit.

3) Now you can install Snow Leopard!
When you're in the installation screen, after choosing language, select "Utility disk" and create 1 partition osx journalised (GUID option) on your internal HD.

(if you use 01mu bios you can't see internal hd)

4) Install it!
5) At the end, could say "installation failed"... Don't worry! Reboot using your USB, but in your bootloader screen select your internal HD.

6) TADAAAAA.

7) When you're inside snow leopard, first thing, install ComboUpdate 10.6.2.

Be careful: don't reboot at the end of the installation: when installation is ended, don't click on reboot, but open and install "NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 pre" on your HD. Only after that click on "reboot" on your ComboUpdate installation.

Now you should boot without USB stick, but simply using your internal hard disk.

Everything seems working oob (ethernet, video qe, bluetooth, trackpad, keyboard, sdreader, hdmi video, battery..) , except audio and wifi..

POST-INSTALLATION

INSTALL AUDIO

• :compress: Unzip "VooDoo HDA 262 Experimental", you'll find two kext. The one we need is "VoodooHDA 262 Exp SL.kext".
  • :compress: Unzip "Kext_Utility.app.v2.5.1", you'll find "Kext Utility.app".
  • :compress: Unzip "Kext Helper B7.app.zip", you'll find "Kext Helper B7.app".

First, run "Kext Helper B7.app" and drag "VoodooHDA 262 Exp SL.kext" on it. Enter your password and click on Easy Installation.

Now, run "Kext Utility.app", it will ask you to insert your password and will start automatically.

Wait this message:

"All done.

Have a nice.... day(night)

Enjoy........."

Reboot.

REPLACE WIFI CARD

Wi-fi doesn't work. Don't worry, buy bcm4311kfbg and replace the existing one.

How to?

It's rather simple to replace it: remove battery and then remove screws under your netbook.

To remove existing wlan, remove antenna cables and unscrew the only screw. Remove your WLAN from the PCI-E minicard socket.

Replace with the new and do the reverse.
You'll have native airport!

Reboot and enjoy your Beast .

NOTES:

Minor Issues:

- Mic doesn't switch off. (so, you'll hear boring sweesh sound, noticeable using headphones.)

If you're bored with this, a good solution could be using an external card like Asus Xonar U3 or this http://www.microcent...ard_USB_Adapter

- Sleep doesn't work.

- Not able to update to 10.6.8.

- Screen Backlight is not adjustable natively.

Booting with AC power will be full on, otherwise will be off.

I've solved using this program http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades , it shades screen with an adjustable black layer:

- Hdmi audio not working. However, hdmi video is 100% full working!

(if you won't see signal, maybe you have to change your cable with a better one. I used an xbox360 one)

Not tested:

- vga output

APPENDIX: 10.6.7 Experimental Update (not good!)

10.6.2 seems the best version to me, but if are brave enough to try slowly more recent versions like 10.6.7, here you can.

What you have to do is to install ComboUpdate 10.6.7 and after installation, before rebooting, install Netbookinstaller 0.8.5pre. (exactly like step 7! but with different installer and update)

The last thing to do is add this string in your com.apple.boot.plist file:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>

com.apple.boot.plist file is located in /Extra and you can open/edit it with TextEdit.

If you don't see it, probably you need to enable hidden files' view.

Googling I've found this:

• Open Finder
  • Open the Utilities folder
  • Open a terminal window
  • Copy and paste the following line in: 1
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
  • Press return
  • Now hold ‘alt’ on the keyboard and right click on the Finder icon
  • Click on Relaunch

You should find you will now be able to see any hidden files or folders. One you are done, perform the steps above however, replace the terminal command in step 4 with:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Here you can find files needed:

- ComboUpdate 10.6.7 (Update to 10.6.7)

- NetbookInstaller 0.8.5 Pre (makes your HD bootable)

CREDITS:

This guide shouldn't be considered as a new guide from scratch, credits goes to highfiver and everyone who helped in this thread, not me. (you'll find that could be viewed as a sort of collage of results in this thread)
I've realized this only because I think could helps noobs like me with something more...... Out of the Box : )

Edited by IceAce, 16 July 2013 - 08:16 AM.

IceAce

IceAce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Someone should update http://www.mymacnetb...tibility-chart/ :
- n510's sd reader is fully working.
- audio i/o is good with voodoo experimental. (it doesn't seems laggy and i/o works!)

vga & hdmi should be tested, I hope to do this tonight.

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 809 posts
@IceAce thanks for that, have just updated it: http://www.mymacnetb...tibility-chart/

Let me know how you get on with VGA & HDMI, fingers crossed that works smoothly too.

IceAce

IceAce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
HDMI video is ok! 1080p full working 50/60hz (PAL or NTSC).
Mirroring and screen extension are working. Wonderful!!! :gun:
I've seen an .avi on my tv through my netbook.

Anyway, HDMI Audio is not working.. :worried_anim:
I'll test new audio kext soon hoping they will enable audio on hdmi.

Vga not tested (I've to search cables, I'll do as soon as possible).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy