• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

neodoughnut

neodoughnut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yeeeeehaaaa!!! I added your DSDT and the Boot stuff and kexts from the HP 311 thread and I am in SL and can see my internal Drive. It is recognised as a AHCI disk in the Profiler.
I also have done the apple wireless mini PCI mod and Airport works. Ethernet OK. Video at 1366x768 and reporting as NVIDIA ION LE
only thing that seem to need work is the sound.

I'm glad that you could benefit from it. How did you get the Video to work? Whatever I do I get a black screen. Can you tell me what you did step by step and are u using Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Thanks

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Sucessful Snow Leopard Retail Install on to Samsung N510 Netbook

1.Installed Retail Snow Leopard Retail to External USB Drive Plugged into N510 using USB stick made bootable with NetBookInstaller
2.This got me to Vanilla Desktop then installed Chameleon RC3 to External Drive and copied Kexts from first post here put into /Extra/Extensions and rebuilt Kext Cache by dropping extensions folder onto Kext Utility
3. Copied the boot file and mach_kernel_modbin from same post and overwrote Chameleon boot in SL root.
4. Added n510 neodoughnut DSDT
5. Booted into SL on external drive and now internal drive visible as emulated AHCI
6. Used Disk utility to clone OS X partition on external drive to internal drive
7. Reboot to internal drive

Still sound and and possibly trackpad to fix

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
damnit - great! i directly will start workin on it again ... but my problem atm is: i have no runnin osx system atm. just got SL installed via boot132-sl-iso to an external hdd (pure vanilla). its not bootable without bootloader of course. anyone has a quick idea howto make a bootable usb stick with chameleon or other bootloader to boot into vanilla desktop to install chameleon on my installation? found nothing usefull for windows. can you help?

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
@comatron
Only thing I can think of at present if you dont have a working use Gparted Live to format Hfs with MBR
and restore boot files in windows using MacDrive 8.
Much easier to get a working os x on other machine first using a distro.

Update: Trackpad working using Voodoo method here

Also Keyboard cuts out on Battery, not sure why? any ideas? turning off sleep seem to help

EDIT Keyboard fixed after installing Voodoo Trackpad above

Sound Working with VoodooHDA but some static[the HP 311 guys are onto this as its the last thing they need to solve]

Only internal mic and sound quality to fix and we could say this baby is 100% SL compatible

Thjalfi Thor

Thjalfi Thor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Is it possible someone create a n510 kext pack ?

Because i can't download NVEnabler and Voodoohda!

Greez

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
This should get you going!
Attached File  BOOT_n510.zip   1023.49KB   226 downloads
Im at work so later will post a more comprehensive explanation later.

You need to add mach_kernel_modbin . from the HP 311 thread here
into Root with the Boot file after installing Chameleon RC3

Then lastly and the VoodooHDA.kext for SL in S/L/E from the same thread to get sound [not perfect still with some static]

In fact the Samsung internals are so similar to the HP mini 311 you can read that thread for more info!

Thjalfi Thor

Thjalfi Thor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
@highlandz

Thx !

@ All

May somebody post an install guide for a Newbee HackBook user?

:(

greez

thioneal

thioneal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am going to try to install SL on my N510 today! I will let you know how this ends.

Samsung released a BIOS Update two days ago - unfortunately without the AHCI support. Its simply a BIOS with OEM WIN 7 support.

Thjalfi Thor

Thjalfi Thor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
That would be really great if you could let me know how you've made it

*update* i can't run it because i just don't where should i put the mach_modbin

Thjalfi Thor

Thjalfi Thor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
It runs but no sound, on Wifi, bluetooth can't be disable, display at lowest level, battery control doesn't work

help please!

dogpile

dogpile

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Any luck on the crappy sound?

DaDare

DaDare

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi duds,
i have got a problem, i am realy new in the Macinthosh world.
I´ve got a Mac with Snow Leo(^^),

1.Installed Retail Snow Leopard Retail to External USB Drive Plugged into N510 using USB stick made bootable with NetBookInstaller

So this means:
I opend the Disk Manger for HDD(dont know the real name yet^^), then i format the USB stick into GUID and HDFS+(?), next i go to "Recover" then i recover my Retail SL DVD to my USB Stick....
Then i Use the programm NEtbookinstaller to make Snow Leo bootable...
Whats next?
Reboot?
Or what?
I dont get it?
Next step is :

2.This got me to Vanilla Desktop then installed Chameleon RC3 to External Drive and copied Kexts from first post here put into /Extra/Extensions and rebuilt Kext Cache by dropping extensions folder onto Kext Utility

What should i here do?
Using a 2nd USB stick to make the "bootloader"?)
3rd and 4th it´s quite easy:

3. Copied the boot file and mach_kernel_modbin from same post and overwrote Chameleon boot in SL root.
4. Added n510 neodoughnut DSDT

the Mac_kernel_modbin to the "Snow LEO" USB stick and the "DSDT" to the USB stick with Chameleon..
And there:

5. Booted into SL on external drive and now internal drive visible as emulated AHCI
6. Used Disk utility to clone OS X partition on external drive to internal drive
7. Reboot to internal drive

If i do the steeps,
the N510 starts, it bootet the Bootloader then after 1 or 2 secounds it restarts...
I need help

Thanks a lot team !

bernie_b

bernie_b

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
You seem to have the right idea. You say you have a retail DVD and a mac and a usb stick... Have you got a usb DVD drive that you are plugging into the n510? if not you need 2 USB sticks. One 4gb stck to copy your retail dvd to and another bigger one to install osx onto. (I am using a 16gb stick)

1: put your 4gb usb stick into your mac.
2: partition it (1 partition osx journalised with MBR option)
3: restore your retail DVD onto it.
4: Use netbootinstaller to make it bootable.

you now have an install usb stick that you can use the same as a retail DVD.

1: insert your second (big) usb stick into your mac.
2: partition it (1 partition osx journalised with GUID option)

you now have a second usb stick you can install your OSX onto.

Start your N510 go into the bios.
Disable Hyperthreading. (this is what causes your machine to crash just as the install starts.)
Insert your usb sticks and boot
Follow the install options. (on my n510 it takes about 3.5 hours)

Use google to find the darwin boot options.
-f -v -s cpus=1 are all things you need to know about.
if the machine freezes during install or boot. boot with -v this is verbose mode and you can see what and when it crashes. it will also show you later when you start playing with the kexts which ones don't load correctly

during the install just after it asks you your language and if you want to migrate old mac data from another mac you may find the install loops. if it does. you need to:

1: boot with the -s option.
2: wait.........
3: type: /sbin/fsck -fy (this checks the disk)
4: wait.........
5: type: /sbin/mount -uw / (this mounts it read write)
6: type: touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone (this tells the install it is finished)
7: type: passwd root (you want to set a root password)
8: type: exit
9: type: exit

the machine reboots into osx ;-)
your username and password are what you just set above.
You now have a vanilla install running on a usb stick. (i.e. step 1 on the instructions you were asking about.)
You now can start playing with the kexts and dsdt files to make the machine run better / faster.
running the mac updates wouldn't be a bad idea at this point either. you also may want to get this install across onto the hard disk rather than the usb stick.

Please use google before asking how to do the next couple of bits, that is all i did to get you your answers... (I am a mac noob too.)

rocsta66

rocsta66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear all,

I'm really surprised.

Today I have done the following:

1. I downloaded the CD/DVD-Image from the HP Mini 311 Darwin-Thread (this one: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=195381)

2. I burned the Image.

3. I used an external DVD-ROM and an external USB-Disk

4. I booted using the CD/DVD-Image (withour battery) and followed the intructions of the thread above:

[1.) Boot your netbook using the latest project release media (posted above)
2.) Once the graphical boot menu appears insert your Mac OS X 10.6 retail media
3.) Wait 10 seconds, hit F5 and select Mac OS X Install DVD to start the installation
4.) Use Apple's Disk Utility on the Mac OS X 10.6 Install Disc to create a partition for the install
5.) Install Mac OS X 10.6 selecting the desired options
6.) Click restart after Mac OS X 10.6 has been installed and gives a warning about the startup disk
7.) On the HP startup screen after reboot hit ESC to enter the startup menu and insert the project BootCD
8.) Hit CTRL, ALT, DEL to reboot the BootCD and select your system volume when prompted
9.) Run the current project installer from the root of the project release media within Mac OS X
10.) Under System Preferencese / Security, uncheck "Use secure virtual memory"]

5. reboot from the external USB-Disk (and: surprise, surprise, it works :blink: )

6. Added n510 neodoughnut DSDT to root

7. reboot again from the external USB-Disk (and: surprise, surprise, it works) and I see the internal harddisk :blink:

Working:

- LAN

- Resolution 1360x768

- Touchpad

Not working (not surprising):

- Sound

- WLAN

- ???

Tomorrow I will check my BIOS-Settings (it's M02) and give, if you are interested some more details.

So, I think, thats a good way to get a "first" running system.

Bye,

rocsta

sirfodo

sirfodo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you guys u are amazing , gona try it my self , hope it works (^.^)/

Ed

Ed

Old skool Mac user

• Administrators
  • 817 posts
Wow, awesome work guys.

FYI we're launching a dedicated forum for OS X on Netbooks, so we'll move this topic in there

Would be cool if one of you could get a photo of your 510 running 10.6!

dymek

dymek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

Anyone have working sound on N510? I have tried to install SL on this netbook using HP Mini 311 image and I failed. After adding DSDT from this thread internal HDD showed up but keyboard with trackpad stopped working. Any solution? Right now I'm trying to install iDeneb 10.5.8 lite..

Sorry for my english, I used this language long time ago ;)

cparm

cparm

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 997 posts
great work,

moved to the Netbooks > Samsung section...

alsothings

alsothings

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone have any thoughts on 10.6.3? I ask because I have (mostly) successfully gotten 10.6.0 (that's what's on a very early retail disc I bought a while back) to run via an installation I did with a USB stick created with netbookbootmaker. Unlike what was discussed above, the installer found my disc and was quite happy to install the OS on it (bios declares it's version 02MU I believe, machine is not with me as I write this). The only notable thing about the install was that afterword the internal HDD (the drive that has the currently running system) didn't automatically show up on my desktop as it does on my MBP. I could still r/w/x everything on it via finder, but it seems odd that it didn't show on the desktop also. Additionally, the sound and wifi didn't work as has been discussed above and I was planning to try some of these voodoo kexts for the sound and a modified version of the solution for the 8192USB wifi (same chipset as the built in wifi but with usb, should be modifiable...).

But before I did all that I thought (perhaps foolishly, I admit) that since that all went moderately well I'd give the 10.6.3 combo update a whirl. ugh. the update goes fine and finishes successfully, then on restart an nbi dell mini logo shows up (replacing the grey logo) and the spinner just spins forever (I mean forever, I let it go a long time). I did a hard restart and get the same behavior so I booted back to the boot USB stick and ran NBI from it, because, well I thought it might be worth a shot. Ran it with default options then restarted, this lead to the grey apple again ('legacy logo'?)and the spinning wheel. But the spinning wheel eventually goes away, the screen goes black with a cursor in the upper left corner, then strobes endlessly between a bright green and bright blue, both with a slight implication of the menu bar at top but otherwise solid in color. I've restarted with the -v and -x options and tried a couple other things but no avail. Anyone have any ideas? I happy to provide more detail/output, but this is my first really attempt at a hackint0sh (though I'm quite proficient with macs and *nix boxes generally) so I'm not sure what would be the most useful for diagnostics...

help!?!!?

Tolukolvi

Tolukolvi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Since there hasn't been any new posts here recently, I decided to add the following:
OSX 10.6 works out of box using NetbookInstaller
OSX 10.6.3 update doesn't work!
WWAN working
WLAN still not working
Sounds works when using VoodooHDA 262 Experimental
nVidia ION LE graphics works, but seems a bit 'laggy'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy