• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
just tried to install SL retail on this nice machine. first ION netbook with usuable gfx-resolution on the marked.

bad news: NO AHCI selection in BIOS and drives are in IDE mode on the SATA connection.

too bad - because this thing is damn hot:

- VERY stable case
- top display (HD READY 16:9)
- ION LE (no directx 10 - but who cares)
- very very nice full size keyboard

osx disk util doesent recognize the drive on startup - so i installed SL on another machine to that drive inside the netbook. waiting for root device error. in sysprofiler i could see that bluetooth (broadcom) and LAN (attensic) are loaded vanilla unpatched and working. i also could get the GFX workin in installation step by using graphics enabler (dunno if QE/CI would work but resolution was changed perfect). i gues GFX would be no problem.

so remaining would be the atheros wlan - but maybe there are patched kexts out in the wild. its an awesome machine but without AHCI this is pretty bad ... so be warned or motivated ;)

bogdanw

bogdanw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the tip! I was looking for a ION netbook to use with Snow Leopard.

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
yeah this topic is kinda warning and kinda thread for future developments in that direction - i guess more ION net/notebooks will have ahci disabled for a simple reason:

windows 7 doesent need AHCI. so, for preventing the osx "robbery", this thing might remain off as its simply not needed. for linux users the same. only the change to fast SSDs will force the companies to enable AHCI.

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Samsung N510-KA02 Technical Specifications:
Processor: Intel Atom N280 (1.66 GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Chipset: Nvidia Ion
Memory: 1GB
Display: 11.6 “HD WXGA (1366×768)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400M
Hard disk: 160GB SATA
Networking: Wireless 802.11 b / g / n, Bluetooth, Ethernet LAN
Digital Webcam
Ports: 3 USB: 1 HDMI: 1 RGB: Memory card reader 3-in-1
Battery: Lithium-Ion 6-cell

Snow Leopard Retail installed fine on external USB drive so no problems generally. On the HP 311 ION thread they mention that AHCI only became available in the second Bios release.

So far we haven't even had bios 1 for the Samsung. Maybe next weeks W7 version will include new bios with the W7 drivers.

If not is it possible to use IDE mode?

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
nope. can you please post the link to the hp mini resources here? cant find it in this forum ... im rethinkin my buy and maybe switch to the hp if it all worx there. but i´m PRETTY sure, that the samsung is more sexy and a lot more robust/solid then the hp ...

ps: found the resoureces here - guess you ment those

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=189621

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
@moderator: can you move this topic into hardware&drivers (beside the HP MINI 311 ION SL thread) so we are in the same category?

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
^^ push to move - mods, please! ...

ps: i compared to the mini hp 311 - i guess this model here is more compatible as sound is realtek 269 and the cardreader is recognized. but AHCI missing means atm no osx86 in internal hd.

question to the gurus:
any possibility to hack a bios OR inject something faking sata drive beeing in ahci mode?

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
its worth starting a new thread if someone hasn't in the next couple of days.
I am waiting till the 22nd when the new bios may be out. I guess the samsung at the moment isn't as popular as the HP.
I dont care personally. Ive got it Dual booting with W7 ultimate and Ubuntu. It plays 1080p HD video very smoothly with the right software.
If I can get SL running I will be very happy as we use macs at work.

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
where you have this information from? the date: 22.10.09 ... cant find anything ... samsung did repond me with a {censored} message:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We appreciate your feedback and suggestions on our product. We will certainly take a note of your
suggestions since Samsung strives to help its customers and serve you better in future.

We would like to inform you that we have designed the product after extensive technical research and
feedback from customers about the product by our design team.

As the Front line Support Representatives, We do not have the information about these future products
besides what is available on Samsung.com. If you visit Samsung.com and search our product news area
under About Samsung, you can find information about upcoming product launches.

We do not have any info about competitor’s products. However, I can tell you about the unique features of the
Samsung products.

Thank you

Samsung Online support."

------

couldnt write a more stupid answer. one reason to send it back. i will wait until this weekend´s over. no bios then: back to store and to HP (or the new macbook)

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
These guys seem to have a handle on things;

http://www.sammynetb...topic.php?36219

scroll down to second from last post

EDIT: Windows 7 drivers now up here:

http://www.samsung.c..._sub_class_cd=P

But no Bios as of yet! cant be long before they release one

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
cant really see what you mean in your first link. nothing to do with AHCI or am i blind?

second link: i got W7 runnin on it for a week now - dont know what drivers they talk about - they´re all included in W7 - just needed to install the hotkey driver for setting brightness via FN-keys. everything elso worked ootb.

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
here is the samsung n510 bios (read with phoenix phlash):

so if ANY of you can edit this thing ... let us all know :( would be a HUGE success for netbook osx86

PS: the sata controller is: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB5 MCP79 SATA Controller
PPS: i tried to open the bios with PhoeBIOSEditPro.2.2.0.1 and got some errors - cant anything related tho

Attached Files

• Attached File  BIOS.zip   95.88KB   32 downloads

Methanoid

Methanoid

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
@Comatron

I had a look at the BIOS and could see no nice easy options to switch on AHCI. I suspect it needs a new module inserting.

Slightly OT but have you tried running Leopard on it, without AHCI. Perhaps a version 10.5.5 or earlier? I'm seriously thinking to buy one of these machines

neodoughnut

neodoughnut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
@Comatron & Methanoid

After having trying to install many versions of Leopard including 10.5.0 Vanilla and 10.5.4 Vanilla, I can confirm that the installer cannot see the internal drives for the reasons mentioned above.

I think the next step would be to create a custom DSDT where the AHCI would be enabled and the IDE mode become SATA.

I'm currently in the process of obtaining a retail image of 10.5.6, where I think support for the MCP79 began, as with 10.5.4 and 10.5.0 I have to use the Voodoo Kernel to boot at the moment. Once I have 10.5.6, I will try to create a custom DSDT, unless someone has any other ideas or more experience in this department?

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yes I can also confirm also no easy switch hidden in Bios for turning AHCI on and I tried Leopard, no luck.
unfortunately I am a NooB as far as creating a custom DSDT goes.
Good luck Neodoughnut - this machine would be soooo much nicer running SL instead of W7 or Linux
I will start reading up on DSDT..... and praying

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
thanx guys for keeping this alive! my thought was dsdt too but im not into that stuff. there seems no support for mcp79 in ide mode so injecting ahci (if that is even possible - i dont know) or modding the bios are the only options left. this machine is my favourite ion netbook - i checked out the hp which a mate uses for osx86. but theres no chance gettin the sound runnin usuable atm and i dont like the case. guess the 269 here in the samsung should be no problem as the 269 in the eee 1000h went fine here ...

next thing will be the atheros wlan (maybe you got other modules in your machine?) ... cause it seems not that easy to change the wlan module like in eeepcs.

comatron

comatron

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
i push the thread cause i updated the topic - so maybe some of the bios/dsdt heads will pass by this thread and help us out :(

neodoughnut

neodoughnut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To all.

I have now received my retails images for Leopard 10.5.6 and Snow Leopard 10.6.0. I have managed to install from a USB stick 10.5.6 with boot-132 on to a external hard drive as that is all the installer sees for the time being, but I only need the Intel CPU PM Disabler kext and didnt have any kernels panics like in 10.5.4 with the vanilla kernel.

After having installed 10.5.6, I have installed the VoodooPS2.kext, which works fine, and the LAN and bluetooth work out of the box. I also have a custom-fitted Broadcom 4321 b/g/n card which is recognised natively. I am also in the process of testing out VoodooHDA to see if the sound works.

However, I have tried to use the NVEnabler as mentioned in the HP Mini 311 thread and only arrive at a black screen when booting.

I am currently studying different options in regards to creating a custom DSDT. I think the answer will either lie in emulating/faking a SATA controller with AHCI or possibly just using the IDE mode which the controller is in now. However, I am no expert in creating DSDT (yet :) ), and any information on any of the subjects mentioned above would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have now installed VoodooHDA, and whilst it works correctly and detects all the ports, etc., it does have distinct crackling in the background when any audio is played. B) Another thing to work on?

neodoughnut

neodoughnut

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

After a few hours of research, I have created a custom DSDT for our N510s which has SATA/AHCI Support!

Please place in root of drive (/)

I will post more details in the hours to come.

Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   11.14KB   237 downloads

highfiver!!

highfiver!!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yeeeeehaaaa!!! I added your DSDT and the Boot stuff and kexts from the HP 311 thread and I am in SL and can see my internal Drive. It is recognised as a AHCI disk in the Profiler.
I also have done the apple wireless mini PCI mod and Airport works. Ethernet OK. Video at 1366x768 and reporting as NVIDIA ION LE
only thing that seem to need work is the sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy