iTunes & Linux?

Dustmite

17 posts in this topic

Google WINE (free, some tweak possibly needed) or CrossOver Office (paid for, but works out of the box). Playback etc. works great, but I've never managed to get it to recognise my iPod.

Why google WINE ?

Nowadays, when people say "Google _____" they mean, go onto google.co.uk, and search for _____ (in this case, WINE) ;)

Unless they are talking about programs that Google have made, for example, Google Earth, Google Desktop, etc...

Thank you all. I will do some looking then. Looks like some angles I can play with. Although I did think I was being told to go to Google and search for wine, I did not what wine was and what I should do to get it. I have however never had success working with wine and until last couple of days was under the impression wine was dead......but it appears that was incorrect. Any how, thank you all and I will be looking into some of these suggestions.

Gee, folks, nobody mentioned gtkpod for linux!? When my son messed up his iPod using iTunes on a Windows XP box, I helped him using a Mandriva 2006 box.

His older PIII PC (he recently got a younger hand-me-down PC) still had his iTunes folder, so I copied it to our home server. With gtkpod, I was able to re-create folders on the iPod and copy the music from server to iPod. This process worked again when he had some trouble adding a new song. Amarok also works fine as a player- all I need do is double-click on a song in gtkpod and Amarok launches and plays.

The iPod does have a few mount problems on his new hand-me-down PC when in linux, but I attribute that to a Mandriva OS that has been several times upgraded rather than having a fresh install.

Support for thr iPod on linux has definitely improved over the past year or so.

Don't forget about Lsongs, Linspire's clone of iTunes. It's sponsored by Linspire, but the source is available, as are packages for other distros.

http://lsongs.com/?page=downloads

It also supports the iPod, although of course it does not support DRM'd AAC files from iTMS.

There is also a clone of iPhoto by the same people called Lphoto

http://www.lphoto.com

• 4 weeks later...

There is a drag and drop program that supports it and konqueror for kde lets you browse it but you need another program to do the drag and drop...google ipod support in linux or how to sync your ipod in linux.

no itunes does not work

max